• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

AmyS

The first place I ever saw Super Mario Kart in a Sendai publication was in a "supplement" that came with EGM. I can't remember exactly what the topic was.... CES perhaps? Summer Buyer's Guide? Something like that.

I remember being blown away that they were expanding Mario to racing. Seems quaint now :)

I could very well be wrong (thinking about the timing of Mario Kart's release and previews,etc) but I'm thinking the EGM supplement you remember could have been the one that came with EGM #32 March 1992.
This was EGM's 1992 video game preview guide which covered the 1992 winter CES. I can't find this for download -- but probably too early to cover Mario Kart anyway, as it released in late 1992

uN0MQzE.jpg
AGxlfoC.jpg

There was another EGM supplement looking at games for 1993. That one can be downloaded but I didn't see Mario Kart in it, and didn't expect to since by then it was already released or about to be.

hBhRJIR.jpg

Do either of those supplements look familiar ?

Grief.exe

Looking at SNES Mini consoles on ebay, apparently they are frequently counter fitted.

The SNS-101 is quite unusual in that it is perhaps the only known example of a Nintendo console having fake/counterfeit clones posing as a genuine console. Most clone consoles usually adopt different names or case designs; however, with the SNS-101 almost every detail was copied and reproduced to some degree — including the packaging. In recent years many of these clones have been mistakenly bought by users on auction sites such as eBay under the impression that they are brand new original SNS-101 systems; sometimes even the seller is unaware they are not original. Most games can still be played with these clones systems; however, the build quality is not as high. There are guides available on how to spot fake SNS-101 consoles.[9] The clone controllers were also sold separately in copies of the genuine controllers' packaging. One difference between fake and genuine SNS-101 consoles is the presence of regular Phillips head screws holding the console's housing together, as opposed to Nintendo's proprietary security screws.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I could very well be wrong (thinking about the timing of Mario Kart's release and previews,etc) but I'm thinking the EGM supplement you remember could have been the one that came with EGM #32 March 1992.
This was EGM's 1992 video game preview guide which covered the 1992 winter CES. I can't find this for download -- but probably too early to cover Mario Kart anyway, as it released in late 1992

uN0MQzE.jpg
AGxlfoC.jpg

There was another EGM supplement looking at games for 1993. That one can be downloaded but I didn't see Mario Kart in it, and didn't expect to since by then it was already released or about to be.

hBhRJIR.jpg

Do either of those supplements look familiar ?
I definitely had that EGM issue. In fact that may have been my first EGM. So I imagine it was that supplement, though I don't remember the cover well.

I had the second supplement too, but you're right. It would have been too late for SMK.

Thanks for the effort. I love uncovering deep memories of old mags.

AmyS

I definitely had that EGM issue. In fact that may have been my first EGM. So I imagine it was that supplement, though I don't remember the cover well.

I had the second supplement too, but you're right. It would have been too late for SMK.

Thanks for the effort. I love uncovering deep memories of old mags.

No problem, I wish I could've done better. I see that first supplement is being sold on Ebay for like $24, but I can't justify buying it.

Question for you guys, I see that SNES SMK, GBA MK: Super Circuit and MK DS are all available on Wii U Virtual Console. What's the quality of the emulation, if that's how Nintendo handles those games. Super Metroid is also temping.

Also, I see that MK64 was released on Wii U VC but not in NA.

Cheerilee

I was under the impression that these cables use the RGB signal, which is why they'll only work on an RGB modded SNES Mini/N64 or a PAL GameCube in addition to the standard SNES. From what I understand RGB is better than S-Video, though marginally so.
This would be correct. The cables convert the RGB output of the SNES into YPbPr (component). Given the level of engineering that's gone into these cables it's a lateral move without any loss of quality from RGB. As such, there's no need for an RGB-compliant monitor, though your HDTV must be able to accept a 240p signal over component. Some HDTV's have a problem with that.

That being said, the resulting picture is absolutely beautiful. Razor sharp pixels that will cut your eyeballs. The HD Retrovision cables are a definite improvement over s-video as I have both types of cables.
Nice. I guess HD Retrovision was just trying not to oversell their claims. "As good as S-video" was still high enough to catch my eye.

TheMoon

No problem, I wish I could've done better. I see that first supplement is being sold on Ebay for like $24, but I can't justify buying it.

Question for you guys, I see that SNES SMK, GBA MK: Super Circuit and MK DS are all available on Wii U Virtual Console. What's the quality of the emulation, if that's how Nintendo handles those games. Super Metroid is also temping.

Also, I see that MK64 was released on Wii U VC but not in NA.

SNES, GBA, DS emulation is great on Wii U VC. GBA is the snazziest with a nice sharp image (and an option for a blur filter if that's your style), some people will tell you SNES emulation sucks because it's not super crisp or something but there's nothing actually wrong with it (unlike NES emulation which makes all games look fugly on Wii U VC). DS VC supports lots of different screen configs.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
SNES, GBA, DS emulation is great on Wii U VC. GBA is the snazziest with a nice sharp image (and an option for a blur filter if that's your style), some people will tell you SNES emulation sucks because it's not super crisp or something but there's nothing actually wrong with it (unlike NES emulation which makes all games look fugly on Wii U VC). DS VC supports lots of different screen configs.

Snes for some reason is too dark on the Wii U, if that bothers you, then I would stay away. The Wii U also introduces quite a bit of lag to a few of the systems, and I found a game like Punch Out (Nes) to be completely unplayable on it.

Morfeo

Lol yeah, I was talking about the Nes, sorry for the confusion.

Edit: And after reading you original post again, I see that you also made that point about the Nes, so my post added nothing. Well its late here!

Grief.exe

The WiiU image quality will be slightly degraded due to the lack of 240p output. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes.

Buy an SFC Jr.

I think I found a real and a fake one on ebay.

See how this one has a purple power button? Also, note the engraved controller which apparently came with that model.

Notice how this power button is slightly more purple/blue? The power buttons on these are also shiny while the former are more matte.

TheMoon

Lol yeah, I was talking about the Nes, sorry for the confusion.

Edit: And after reading you original post again, I see that you also made that point about the Nes, so my post added nothing. Well its late here!

what really sucks is your sleep emulation. doesn't run at all.^^

RexRogers

Neo Member
How solid does your SNES hold cartridges? More specifically, how sensitive is it to getting bumped? It seems like the slightest bump or movement of the console can cause the game to glitch out. It can be a tad frustrating.

I also wonder if this is something that newer revision consoles experience with greater frequency. The original SHVC model of the SNES had a locking mechanism meant to hold the game in place that was then removed.

Rich!

How solid does your SNES hold cartridges? More specifically, how sensitive is it to getting bumped? It seems like the slightest bump or movement of the console can cause the game to glitch out. It can be a tad frustrating.

I also wonder if this is something that newer revision consoles experience with greater frequency. The original SHVC model of the SNES had a locking mechanism meant to hold the game in place that was then removed.

My Super Famicom Jr has been knocked off the shelf by my daughter twice now and both times it carried on playing the game fine lol

By contrast, even a slight touch of the cartridge in my Mega Drive will freeze it.

TheMoon

I don't tend to move my SNES while playing but I never had any issues with wobbly carts, solo or in the Fire Adapter.

Open your casing and take a good look at the cart slot. I was having the same issue and when I looked closely I found one or two large hairs that I had to extract with tweezers. Seemed to fix my issue.

Cheerilee

Damn, that thread is a graveyard. I'm sure she'll be back, everybody gets one.

I've been banned a couple of times. Some people get perma-banned on their first try. It really just depends on how upset you make the mod.

This week has been a bad week for race relations in America. I wouldn't be surprised if there are zero slaps on the wrist in that thread.

I did my first Twitch stream tonight, and I played Space Megaforce. Nearly 1cc'ed it on Normal. I got all the way up to the last boss and I ate it >_< I finished it off anyways since I was so close.

Timu

I did my first Twitch stream tonight, and I played Space Megaforce. Nearly 1cc'ed it on Normal. I got all the way up to the last boss and I ate it >_< I finished it off anyways since I was so close.
Did you use a continue? If you didn't continue it counts as a 1CC.

IrishNinja

also ive been saying im totally out from retro games at the moment (everdrives + scene prices) but roommate was at some shop and found FF Mystic Quest for $13, that's one of the few i still had to replace!

man i remember being so into FF in the day i day 1'd it, beat it that weekend and waited another month or two for the mail-in guide, haha

Morfeo

also ive been saying im totally out from retro games at the moment (everdrives + scene prices) but roommate was at some shop and found FF Mystic Quest for $13, that's one of the few i still had to replace!

man i remember being so into FF in the day i day 1'd it, beat it that weekend and waited another month or two for the mail-in guide, haha

Not a great game, but still have some good points. Like the tower in the middle, and the amazing music. The graphics of the bosses are pretty great too!

Top Bottom