• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Grief.exe

SNES Mini coming from ebay seller
SNES Scart coming form Retro Console Accessories on ebay
RetroRGB SNES mod ordered
Soldering Kit/wire ordered from Amazon

All around $100.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
SNES Mini coming from ebay seller
SNES Scart coming form Retro Console Accessories on ebay
RetroRGB SNES mod ordered
Soldering Kit/wire ordered from Amazon

All around $100.

That sounds really cheap, i thought a Snes Mini itself was at about that price.

Grief.exe

That sounds really cheap, i thought a Snes Mini itself was at about that price.

I got in a last second bid and grabbed a model that was a little scuffed up.

Or maybe I got a fake one, but I don't think so.

The colors being a matter purple, instead of the shiny blueish purple of the fakes, plus the original SNES Mini controller (notice the engraved logo) lead me to believe it's real. Won't know until I have it opened up however. I can always refund citing the fact that it's fake, so I see it as little risk.

s-l1600.jpg

What's everyone's thoughts on SMW2 Yoshi's Island? I picked it up awhile ago and have been pecking a way at it. Still not sure if I like it or not. I'm only at 2-5 & I just beat Boo, so I'm not too far in. Graphics style and presentation are top notch. This game is just not grabbing me for some reason. Seems like a love it or hate it game.

Anth0ny

What's everyone's thoughts on SMW2 Yoshi's Island? I picked it up awhile ago and have been pecking a way at it. Still not sure if I like it or not. I'm only at 2-5 & I just beat Boo, so I'm not too far in. Graphics style and presentation are top notch. This game is just not grabbing me for some reason. Seems like a love it or hate it game.

Generally accepted to be one of the greatest games ever made. Definitely one of my all times favorites.

Keep playing, it gets better and it might grab you.

only monsters like jeff gerstmann dislike the game.

D.Lo

Generally accepted to be one of the greatest games ever made. Definitely one of my all times favorites.

Keep playing, it gets better and it might grab you.

only monsters like jeff gerstmann dislike the game.
Yep, one of the greatest platformers ever made. Brilliantly designed.

Olly88

Favourite of all time. Love it. Absolutely love it.

Cogwheels

Neo Member

At the risk of sounding a bit melodramatic, I think the game is as perfect as platformers get.

Not my cup of tea but quite a looker

Rich!

Ugh. I hate when ebay sellers don't mark their items as shipped. That's a star off in the feedback for me.

Sometimes a genuine oversight. I've missed it before and I would be genuinely pissed off it someone marked me down for that regardless of the fact the item was shipped promptly.

Not everyone is slaving over their computers and ebay accounts 24/7.

Casual play: a wonderful and constantly-inventive platformer with some of the most unique and entertaining mechanics in the entire medium, even twenty years on.

100%ing: [incomprehensible angrish]

Timu

Huh? Most people love that game.

TheMoon

Yea not sure how the general consensus of YI being a god-tier game (on the SNES and all-time) often named in the same breath as SMW, ALTTP or Super Metroid slipped by someone's radar.

Yea not sure how the general consensus of YI being a god-tier game (on the SNES and all-time) often named in the same breath as SMW, ALTTP or Super Metroid slipped by someone's radar.

I just played and finished Super Metroid less than a year ago. I never played more than 1 hour of A link to the Past, my first playthrough of Ocarina of Time was on the 3DS. I never played a Grand Theft Auto game on a console or any Final Fantasy game. I could keep going. SNES didn't really interest me in the 90's, I was busy with PC gaming and other consoles. Nothing wrong with getting around to it now.

TheMoon

I just played and finished Super Metroid less than a year ago. I never played more than 1 hour of A link to the Past, my first playthrough of Ocarina of Time was on the 3DS. I never played a Grand Theft Auto game on a console or any Final Fantasy game. I could keep going. SNES didn't really interest me in the 90's, I was busy with PC gaming and other consoles. Nothing wrong with getting around to it now.

Sure. What I'm saying is that I thought this is stuff that's common knowledge absorbed through osmosis over the years. I mean the general perception. Like how you just know Half Life is a beloved classic. DOOM, Quake, StarCraft, Shenmue, Suikoden 2, etc.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

I want to like it, and i kinda do, but i just hate how they made this game instead of a proper Super Mario World, how they went from a few important secrets, to just a bunch of shitty ones, how mario cries and the sound beeps, and how the game is so slow, especially when you stop to shoot eggs. I still think the game has signs of brilliance, but i just dont like it as much as the main Mario-games.

S-Video cables came. My god, it looks sooooooo much better than composite on my HDTV. Hopefully I can snag a pair of those HD Retrovision cables down the line and then I'll use the S-Video with my N64.

Glowsquid

It just hit me I never saw a SNES megathread on the Gaming board. I have no idea why the retro collecting thread aren't all in the same sub-board

Anywyay, um, I'm feeling like diving into the dangerous and scary world of SNES Mode-7 heavy vehicle simulations. Games like

-Pilotwings
-MechWarrior
-Lock-On/Super Air Diver
-Super Air Diver 2
-Super Battletanks
-Super Battletanks 2
-Super Strike Eagle
-Turn and Burn: No Fly Zone
-Wings 2

Are there more games like that? Or did I name them all

Glowsquid

These are not "heavy vehicle sims" :D

I meant it to be parsed as "Mode 7-heavy" but my poor grasp of english has failed me once again

man, NHL Stanley Cup was one of the first videogame I played, and one of the very few I got rid of. I really hated it (though I suspect more for my at-the-time frothing hatred of sports than the actual merits of the game).

also, while doing a search on some of the above-mentioned games, I found a scan for a magazine advert for Super Air Diver. isn't this some badass artwork

Grief.exe

Soldering tools come in tomorrow.

SCART cable, SNES Jr, and RetroRGB amp come in Monday.

I hate waiting over a weekend for awesome packages.

IrishNinja

Other than being in the US and slightly cheaper, is there any difference on the Super Everdrive on Krikzz website and Stone Age Gamer?

the Super 2 i bought directly off krizz was just the board, since he gave that option (no chips on it either), isn't the SA one more "complete" package-wise?

nothing against SA, i just like supporting krikzz myself

Timu

the Super 2 i bought directly off krizz was just the board, since he gave that option (no chips on it either), isn't the SA one more "complete" package-wise?

nothing against SA, i just like supporting krikzz myself
Yes. I would know since I order from them.

IrishNinja

out of curiosity: if i had a shot at a super fami, what's the downside? do they have some model variants with IQ quirks like ours, how to you make US carts/everdrives work on em etc?

Yes. I would know since I order from them.

So, Stone Age is cool then? Krikzz website is locking up during payment and crashes. I have no invoice and my bank statement is showing the pre-auth sitting there. I contacted customer service and they haven't responded on whether or not my order went through that was 2 days ago. That and the insecure site makes me want to bail. :(

Timu

So, Stone Age is cool then? Krikzz website is locking up during payment and crashes. I have no invoice and my bank statement is showing the pre-auth sitting there. I contacted customer service and they haven't responded on whether or not my order went through that was 2 days ago. That and the insecure site makes me want to bail. :(
Yes, definitely, they are awesome!!! Ordered a everdrive and other items and no issues plus fast as hell shipping!

Glowsquid

Hmmm, is the asciipad the best controller available for the system? It certainly looks moe than fine, but I' wondering if there couldn't be a more obscure third-party controller or homebrew thing that's Better.

all I'm looking for is

-good d-pad
-autofire

Hmmm, is the asciipad the best controller available for the system? It certainly looks moe than fine, but I' wondering if there couldn't be a more obscure third-party controller or homebrew thing that's Better.

all I'm looking for is

-good d-pad
-autofire

Ascii pad is easily my favorite SNES controller. 1st party quality (based Mitsumi).

Cheerilee

out of curiosity: if i had a shot at a super fami, what's the downside? do they have some model variants with IQ quirks like ours, how to you make US carts/everdrives work on em etc?

To make US carts work in a Super Famicom, you need to grab a saw and knife and rip a big ugly hole in the top of your beautiful SFC. Even if you do a pretty-enough job of widening the hole, import SFC games will look funny sticking out of a too-large hole in the top of your SFC.

To make an Everdrive or SD2SNES work in an SFC, you just order an Everdrive or SD2SNES that comes in the smaller, rounder Japanese-style shell. Or find some cheap SFC game and borrow it's shell to encase your flash cart.

If you're planning to move to flashcarts, now's a good time to switch over to the stylish SFC. If you're stuck on playing some US carts, stick with the boxy US system, it's easier.

Rich!

To make US carts work in a Super Famicom, you need to grab a saw and knife and rip a big ugly hole in the top of your beautiful SFC. Even if you do a pretty-enough job of widening the hole, import SFC games will look funny sticking out of a too-large hole in the top of your SFC.

To make an Everdrive or SD2SNES work in an SFC, you just order an Everdrive or SD2SNES that comes in the smaller, rounder Japanese-style shell. Or find some cheap SFC game and borrow it's shell to encase your flash cart.

If you're planning to move to flashcarts, now's a good time to switch over to the stylish SFC. If you're stuck on playing some US carts, stick with the boxy US system, it's easier.

You can use USA carts on an SFC without modding the case with a pass through device such as an action replay (or build your own)

Rich!

I doubt it. I've seen specific reference to people having 1CHIP SFC's. Likely it has the exact same mobo revisions as the North American version,

The motherboard revisions are shared between regions.

I have a SFC motherboard lying around that has the same mobo code as a western one I have. Neither are 1 chip.

I actually have had this SFC board since I last owned an xrgb Mini back in 2014 - and it definitely looked fuzzy as shit. It's what sold me on getting a better model (1chip or mini).

IrishNinja

You can use USA carts on an SFC without modding the case with a pass through device such as an action replay (or build your own)

damn, neither of these options sound great. oh well, maybe a case mod thing down the road will be more viable!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
damn, neither of these options sound great. oh well, maybe a case mod thing down the road will be more viable!

They have straight up SFC <-> SNES adapters out there. I bought one recently at a game store for $15.

Unfortunately it didn't have the extra pins for things like Super FX games or Super Game Boy, etc. But I know there are compatible ones out there.

Super Famicom is so handsome and the SFC carts look so much better in it. You could just put it next to your SNES and treat it like a different console. I love the look of both in their own way. But of course that's an impractical fetish thing lol.

Top Bottom