• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Grief.exe

Can someone explain what this "1Chip" thing is?

SNES was revised several times, the 1Chip variants even have 3 revisions, 4 if you count the SNES mini.

1chip version 1 and 2 have full RGB/Csync by default.
1chip version 3 has full RGB, but needs a mod for Csync.
1chip SNES Mini has full RGB/Csync, but requires a mod.

There is no way to explicitly identify a 1chip console from the outside, other than the serial number will start with a 3 and the console is likely to not be yellow since they changed the plastic composition in later revisions. As a result, it's a crapshoot trying to secure a 1chip console by sheer luck alone, I just went with the SNES Mini on ebay, technically has the best picture quality of all the 1chip variants anyways.

SNES was revised several times, the 1Chip variants even have 3 revisions, 4 if you count the SNES mini.

1chip version 1 and 2 have full RGB/Csync by default.
1chip SNES Mini has full RGB/Csync, but requires a mod.

There is no way to explicitly identify a 1chip console from the outside, other than the serial number will start with a 3 and the console is likely to not be yellow since they changed the plastic composition in later revisions. As a result, it's a crapshoot trying to secure a 1chip console by sheer luck alone, I just went with the SNES Mini on ebay, technically has the best picture quality of all the 1chip variants anyways.

So the earlier SNESes, the ones that yellow readily, don't support full RGB?

Grief.exe

Gotcha. Mine is a bit yellow, got it from Craigslist for $30. I'll open it up today and take a peek. Either way, can't really complain. Looks great on S-Video already

Retro RGB is a good site for resources and they have some good comparisons. In my opinion, it would be difficult to notice the differences unless compared side to side.

SNESVersionCompare02%20-%20Large.jpg

SNESVersionCompare06%20-%20large.jpg

SNESVersionCompare09.jpg

Timu

That's my version of the SNES, a 1Chip like that.

How do I know this? I tested it with both a composite video as sync and Csync and it would not detect the Csync while it would perfectly detect the composite video as sync.

Grief.exe

That's my version of the SNES, a 1Chip like that.

How do I know this? I tested it with both a composite video as sync and Csync and it would not detect the Csync while it would perfectly detect the composite video as sync.

From Retro RGB, the mod to enable Csync looks extremely easy, but I don't know how large the benefit would be.

Rich!

From Retro RGB, the mod to enable Csync looks extremely easy, but I don't know how large the benefit would be.

It's literally just two points joined by a single wire.

And it makes a difference if you're using an xrgb. I didn't have any difference between csync and composite sync on my pvm, but back when I had my xrgb it was a significant difference.

Timu

It's literally just two points joined by a single wire.

And it makes a difference if you're using an xrgb. I didn't have any difference between csync and composite sync on my pvm, but back when I had my xrgb it was a significant difference.
I don't open my consoles sadly since I'm not tech savy on that yet I know nearly everything about PCs.=p

I may get an XRGB Mini, but unsure when.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I've never been compelled to hunt down a 1chip. I think my SNES and SFC look fantastic in RGB, and I can't imagine wanting it to look sharper. If anything, I think the SNES looks right a little bit "soft" (as opposed to that overly sharp emulator look - though I don't know if a 1chip is quite that bad)

But then again maybe I have a 1chip in my SNES and SFC, and I don't even know it :p Doubt it though.

Rich!

I've never been compelled to hunt down a 1chip. I think my SNES and SFC look fantastic in RGB, and I can't imagine wanting it to look sharper. If anything, I think the SNES looks right a little bit "soft" (as opposed to that overly sharp emulator look - though I don't know if a 1chip is quite that bad)

But then again maybe I have a 1chip in my SNES and SFC, and I don't even know it :p Doubt it though.

Well..my old SFC (of which I still have the board of) looked horrible via RGB. I remember when I first got an XRGB Mini in 2014 and I hooked up my mega drive. It was beautiful. N64 was the same. Amazing. Next was my SFC. Loaded up chrono trigger. blurry as shit. what the fuck.

eventually got an rgb modded SNES Mini, and it was amazing. My posts for that can be found waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in this thread in the 2014 era.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Well..my old SFC (of which I still have the board of) looked horrible via RGB. I remember when I first got an XRGB Mini in 2014 and I hooked up my mega drive. It was beautiful. N64 was the same. Amazing. Next was my SFC. Loaded up chrono trigger. blurry as shit. what the fuck.

eventually got an rgb modded SNES Mini, and it was amazing. My posts for that can be found waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in this thread in the 2014 era.
That is interesting. Both my 16-bit Nintendos look great.

I suppose I should determine exactly what version they are...

Grief.exe

YESSSSSSSSSS

put it into a PAL/SFC case

Edit: wait a minute. Is that definitely a 1chip)

If you look at the 1chip PCB this has the same CPU (designated as S-CPUN A) and a Sony/Nintendo APU (S-APU).
This is just the mini PCB, which seems to be different to cover the smaller layout.

Grief.exe

Well, my first attempt at soldering went perfectly. I definitely put too much solder, or not enough on a connection somewhere.

The console is now outputting a scart connection, but the image is overly blue.

i6yJnFN.png

ZL4Ezuj.png

The composite image has too much yellow saturation.

uiw8lMM.png

RexRogers

Neo Member
Well, my first attempt at soldering went perfectly. I definitely put too much solder, or not enough on a connection somewhere.

The console is now outputting a scart connection, but the image is overly blue.

*PICS*

It looks like you have the red and blue right, just no green.

Grief.exe

It looks like you have the red and blue right, just no green.

That's what I was thinking too since the colorspace is like that. I'll open it up and try to resolder it today if I have some time.

Like I said, I've never soldered before so I'm not surprised I ran into issues. I'm also not meant for this type of work, I probably have the largest hands you have ever seen.

That's what I was thinking too since the colorspace is like that. I'll open it up and try to resolder it today if I have some time.

Like I said, I've never soldered before so I'm not surprised I ran into issues. I'm also not meant for this type of work, I probably have the largest hands you have ever seen.
Soldering new batteries into my GB carts was a real bitch because if this.

lazygecko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja1oqf6k4AQ

This made me fucking laugh.

Looks like the game was published by Capcom and developed by another dev. And they could not figure out how to accurately re-sequence the Capcom jingle at the start. So instead they straight up recorded the jingle from another Capcom SNES game, and then re-inserted it as a much lower quality sample so they could fit it onto the cartridge/memory.

At least, that's what it totally sounds like to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja1oqf6k4AQ

This made me fucking laugh.

Looks like the game was published by Capcom and developed by another dev. And they could not figure out how to accurately re-sequence the Capcom jingle at the start. So instead they straight up recorded the jingle from another Capcom SNES game, and then re-inserted it as a much lower quality sample so they could fit it onto the cartridge/memory.

At least, that's what it totally sounds like to me.

Yeah, thats what it sounds like.

Glowsquid

sooo, I'm pretty sure my SNES is dying. A good chunk of my games don't work even after being cleaned with alcohol and cleaning the cartridge slot, and the ones that do boot up consistently give me a black screen with music after getting past the initial set-up/name entry screen, Only an handful still work. I doubt my games suddenly died en-masse since they were stored in different conditions (some boxed, some with the dust cover, some without, etc.) and my N64 games that were stored in the same conditions work fine after a bit of cleaning.

I'll try to take the system apart to see if I can salvage it, but I'm wondering if my problem sounds familiar to any technical-inclined regulars?

It might not even be hand size, just the stuff your working with is all surface mount and fairly small. It gets harder after like N64/PS1 as everything keeps getting smaller... I tried putting a modchip into a PS2 and let's just say it did not go well.

If you intend to do a lot of this kind of stuff it's worth getting some needlenose tweezers and a set of helping hands.

Grief.exe

It might not even be hand size, just the stuff your working with is all surface mount and fairly small. It gets harder after like N64/PS1 as everything keeps getting smaller... I tried putting a modchip into a PS2 and let's just say it did not go well.

If you intend to do a lot of this kind of stuff it's worth getting some needlenose tweezers and a set of helping hands.

In retrospect this is only $6 on Amazon and would have been immensely helpful. I am planning on installing a GC Video HDMI mod into the Gamecube later and I still have to fix my first stab at soldering.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
sooo, I'm pretty sure my SNES is dying. A good chunk of my games don't work even after being cleaned with alcohol and cleaning the cartridge slot, and the ones that do boot up consistently give me a black screen with music after getting past the initial set-up/name entry screen, Only an handful still work. I doubt my games suddenly died en-masse since they were stored in different conditions (some boxed, some with the dust cover, some without, etc.) and my N64 games that were stored in the same conditions work fine after a bit of cleaning.

I'll try to take the system apart to see if I can salvage it, but I'm wondering if my problem sounds familiar to any technical-inclined regulars?

Try with another PSU, they are way more faulty then the machine itself.

What would cause my SNES to boot to a black screen with no sound every few times despite the cartridges being cleaned? Do I need to clean the pins? What's the best way to do that?

Glowsquid

Try with another PSU, they are way more faulty then the machine itself.

Hmmm. Well, I'll admit I'm not knowledgeable about this stuff, but it would be pretty surprising to me if it was the power brick since some of my games do work (one of them being Vortex, which if I'd have to guess, would require constant juice being a SFX 3D game and all. I probably exposed my technical illiteracy with this statement). The system is also pretty consistent about dropping game if there's a set-up screen or succession of menus before gameplay proper.

Chomposaur

Neo Member
Hi Just recently bought a in box copy of secret of mana and on closer inspection the logo "secret of mana" is slightly lighter on one of the sides than the others. Having spent a small fortune this has annoyed me because this wasn't listed in the sale of the item
Just need some help identifying if it has sun damage or not. A second opinion would be very helpful. Thank you
This is the picture in question

https://imgur.com/edrBHdj

I have uploaded multiple images of the box in my imgur account of the box as well. Again thank you.

https://imgur.com/user/BrendonMelling

TheMoon

Hi first post
Just recently bought a in box copy of secret of mana and on closer inspection the logo "secret of mana" is slightly lighter on one of the sides than the others. Having spent a small fortune this has annoyed me because this wasn't listed in the sale of the item
Just need some help identifying if it has sun damage or not. A second opinion would be very helpful. Thank you
This is the picture in question

https://imgur.com/edrBHdj

I have uploaded multiple images of the box in my imgur account of the box as well. Again thank you.

https://imgur.com/user/BrendonMelling

You linked to your account page, not any gallery.

Chomposaur

Neo Member
When you access an image on your account, there is a box on the right side that says 'direct link' copy the links you want us to see here.

Alternatively, you can right click and select 'Copy link location' then paste here.

I've tried to send a link to an album that a created with the images all in there. It dosnt help that I'm on mobile my PC is in for repairs 😩

https://imgur.com/a/rQmOc

TheMoon

I have a super strong sense of déjà vu since I did the same song and dance regarding imgur linking to the user account with someone here before with the same follow-up reasoning for why it didn't work :D

That wouldn't happen to be you, would it? lol

Btw that wear on the box should answer your question. Not sure how or why someone would fake natural wear.

edit: holy shit that really was you http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=197338453&highlight=#post197338453
:D

we really did go through the imgur thing just two months ago^^

Chomposaur

Neo Member
we really did go through the imgur thing just two months ago^^

I know I'm sorry I'm still new to neogaf it was me who was enquiring about a earthbound authenticity check 😬

The game is totally legit as well as the board I'm just asking if the side of the box has sun damage. Can you see all of the pictures by the way?

TheMoon

I know I'm sorry I'm still new to neogaf it was me who was enquiring about a earthbound authenticity check 😬

The game is totally legit as well as the board I'm just asking if the side of the box has sun damage. Can you see all of the pictures by the way?

It's just a matter of trying out the links yourself before you post them :D

The logo does look really bright, not sure what else it would be.

SKINNER!

Banned
See, this is why I can't bring myself to paying silly money for retro video games anymore. Not on ebay anyway. I'd rather see the object in my hands and judge it for authenticity in real life as opposed to images.

Chomposaur

Neo Member
See, this is why I can't bring myself to paying silly money for retro video games anymore. Not on ebay anyway. I'd rather see the object in my hands and judge it for authenticity in real life as opposed to images.

That's why I'm trying to get concrete evidence to say that it's sun damaged. It's just so bizzare as to why would the logo on one of the sides be a different colour than the rest?

Grief.exe

It's more of a general internet/computer usage, than something specific to GAF.

That's why I'm trying to get concrete evidence to say that it's sun damaged. It's just so bizzare as to why would the logo on one of the sides be a different colour than the rest?

Most likely that spine was exposed to the sunlight in the bookshelf and the rest of the box was blocked on the sides by other games and the shelf itself.

SKINNER!

Banned

Good luck bud :) I'd do the same if I were in your shoes. You pay good money for it; you expect it to be in a condition you wanted. That sun fade situation happened to me when I picked up a copy of Shenmue 2 for the dreamcast from ebay. Everything was fine except for the spine which looked suspiciously lighter than my copy of Shenmue 1. There was so pictures of it on ebay so I didn't know until I got it in the mail. I got it at a decent price so I didn't pursue with a complaint but at first I was like "damn! too good to be true"

I'm sorry if this is an issue that's been covered before - tried searching but I'm not great with AV terminology.

Anyways, I got a composite cable hooked up to my SNES and it works pretty great, but both composite and RF have this issue where, towards the top of the screen, the image gets a bit jagged and zigzags a little.

It's not the best, but here's a picture showing it off. Look at the edge of the image to see what I mean.

Was wondering if anyone knows what's up with this - I'm not sure if it's an issue with the cables or the unit itself. Anyone got any advice?

Rich!

I'm sorry if this is an issue that's been covered before - tried searching but I'm not great with AV terminology.

Anyways, I got a composite cable hooked up to my SNES and it works pretty great, but both composite and RF have this issue where, towards the top of the screen, the image gets a bit jagged and zigzags a little.

It's not the best, but here's a picture showing it off. Look at the edge of the image to see what I mean.

Was wondering if anyone knows what's up with this - I'm not sure if it's an issue with the cables or the unit itself. Anyone got any advice?

Yes. The answer is that you are using composhit and RFuckingterrible.

Edit: I just saw the image. Dear god. Use svideo at the very least man, and if you're in the UK, nearly all TV sets accept RGB scart for the best output (and if you want to go further, look to the RGB/CRT/upscaler thread)

Top Bottom