• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

NDPsycho

I'm a pretty amateur collector, so looking for advice on good multiplayer games.

I just bought Tetris Attack and I have Super Mario Kart and Killer Instinct.

Any other good ones? I'm looking mainly for competitive but some coop games would also be great.

Which version of Super Bomberman is the best (NTSC)

My favorite coop games are beat em ups.

Turtles in Time
King of Dragons
Knights of the Round
Brawl Brothers
Peace Keepers
Final Fight 2&3
Pirates of Dark Water
Captain Commando
etc.

TheMoon

I'm a pretty amateur collector, so looking for advice on good multiplayer games.

Any other good ones? I'm looking mainly for competitive but some coop games would also be great.

Secret of Mana is the obvious answer.

Secret of Mana is the obvious answer.

I actually owned this at one point, but I had to sell it to help pay for my wedding.

I never went through it though. I might have to pick it up again to actually play it.

My favorite coop games are beat em ups.

Turtles in Time
King of Dragons
Knights of the Round
Brawl Brothers
Peace Keepers
Final Fight 2&3
Pirates of Dark Water
Captain Commando
etc.

Turtles in Time is so obvious I don't know how I forgot.

That reminds me that i should also pick up Zombies Ate My Neighbors again.

Cedric

Anyone have any experience selling SFC games in North America? Grabbed a FF6 cart in Japan, but ended up buying a boxed copy for cheap several days later. I've been trying to sell my loose copy but it seems no one is interested in SFC games where I live. Perhaps people will develop an interest in SFC retro gaming once SNES game stocks are depleted.

SeanC

These are all co-op:

Contra III
Sunset Riders
Zombies ate My Neighbors.

Having trouble of thinking of competitive outside of racing, fighting and sports.

-KRS-

I really like Super Bomberman 3, because of the rideable kangaroos and the fact you can play it co-operatively as well as competitively.
Edit: Oh apparently it wasn't released in the US. Hmm, well I'll say getting a Japanese copy and removing the tabs in your SNES is totally worth it.

Anyone have any experience selling SFC games in North America? Grabbed a FF6 cart in Japan, but ended up buying a boxed copy for cheap several days later. I've been trying to sell my loose copy but it seems no one is interested in SFC games where I live. Perhaps people will develop an interest in SFC retro gaming once SNES game stocks are depleted.

You're most likely going to have trouble selling SFC versions of text heavy RPGs like that. FF6 also sold a ton of copies in Japan so it's not exactly rare. So unfortunately it won't be worth a lot.

I really like Super Bomberman 3, because of the rideable kangaroos and the fact you can play it co-operatively as well as competitively.
Edit: Oh apparently it wasn't released in the US. Hmm, well I'll say getting a Japanese copy and removing the tabs in your SNES is totally worth it.

I can't imagine Super Bomberman having a ton of text.

I was looking at maybe picking up something like this

-KRS-

Ah yeah the "NTSC" lead me to believe you were only looking for US games for some reason, even though I guess it shouldn't have. SFC is indeed better to use to refer to Japanese games. Anyway, no, Super Bomberman 3 doesn't have a lot of japanese. It's only in the multiplayer menus, and most of the options are easy enough to figure out. I think it's the same with 2 (which I have but I haven't played it in a long time.)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
8bitDo just showed their retro receiver for the SNES!

https://youtu.be/JHx3qW4BDuE

http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-snes/

For those who haven't yet heard about the NES one, it's a receiver that lets you use Bluetooth controller on the console, including 8bitDo's authentic recreation SNES30.

I'll be buying all the retro receivers. I had a retro gaming weekend with my buddies recently, but afterward the floor looked like spaghetti. There's value in being able to keep the room clean...

For those who haven't yet heard about the NES one, it's a receiver that lets you use Bluetooth controller on the console, including 8bitDo's authentic recreation SNES30.

I'll be buying all the retro receivers. I had a retro gaming weekend with my buddies recently, but afterward the floor looked like spaghetti. There's value in being able to keep the room clean...

Great price for being able to use Playstation DS4 with the SNES, the thing also converts into a BT dongle when connected to a PC.

Very tempted but still saving for an Everdrive :p

Rich!

Great price for being able to use Playstation DS4 with the SNES, the thing also converts into a BT dongle when connected to a PC.

Very tempted but still saving for an Everdrive :p

an everdrive is only £60! buy both!

http://www.play-asia.com/retro-receiver-for-snes/13/70a2f9

its for sale now on play asia btw

Retro Receiver for SNES
Retro Receiver for SNES
8Bitdo
Compatible with Super Famicom™ / SNES™, Windows™, Mac™
24h In stock, usually ships within 24hrs.

Price: US$ 24.99 (GBP~19.20)

Nice.

Grief.exe

The filter on that Retro Freak

rmdSx.gif

D.Lo

I have the Famicom one and it's great. Will grab this.

If only they'd release a Famicom and NES controller with the normal button layout for more authenticity. This Super Fami one will be great because the Super Fami pad is recreated accurately.

BocoDragon

I have the Famicom one and it's great. Will grab this.

If only they'd release a Famicom and NES controller with the normal button layout for more authenticity. This Super Fami one will be great because the Super Fami pad is recreated accurately.
I agree completely. The extra two NES buttons on their controller bother me.

I've been eyeing the NES Classic mini controllers + Wiimote as a pseudo-wireless solution for the retro reciever.

I agree completely. The extra two NES buttons on their controller bother me.

I've been eyeing the NES Classic mini controllers + Wiimote as a pseudo-wireless solution for the retro reciever.

Same here on both counts. Their NES controller fucks with my mind. I can't handle it. Had the same though about those new mini controllers and the Wiimote.

D.Lo

The Famicom one is so beautifully authentic otherwise. I just want one without the diamond layout and shoulder buttons.

Though the metal faceplate is lower quality and scratches easier than a real Fami pad.

I ended up going down to a local shop last night after work to see what they had in stock. I wanted Super Mario World 2 but they were out of stock and ended up walking out with Super Bomberman 2.

Now I just need to find an affordable multitap.

Side note: It's crazy how small the offerings and how expensive these games have gotten. Before when I was heavy into it I was unemployed so I wasn't able to go ham. Now that I have money it's just so damn expensive. They were asking $25 for Dr. Jekly and Mr. Hyde on NES. I couldn't believe what garbage YouTube has raised the price for.

I ended up going down to a local shop last night after work to see what they had in stock. I wanted Super Mario World 2 but they were out of stock and ended up walking out with Super Bomberman 2.

Now I just need to find an affordable multitap.

Side note: It's crazy how small the offerings and how expensive these games have gotten. Before when I was heavy into it I was unemployed so I wasn't able to go ham. Now that I have money it's just so damn expensive. They were asking $25 for Dr. Jekly and Mr. Hyde on NES. I couldn't believe what garbage YouTube has raised the price for.

It's been like this for a few years now. I remember going looking locally in retro shops and pawn stores in like 2011, all they had was shovelware, sports games, and Mario World for $20. I don't even bother with local stuff any more.

I overheard someone recently saying they were going to try a flea market, I was like haha yeah right. Maybe you could go to the one with the guy that specifically sells retro games for $$$ but other than that you're not going to find shit.

It's been like this for a few years now. I remember going looking locally in retro shops and pawn stores in like 2011, all they had was shovelware, sports games, and Mario World for $20. I don't even bother with local stuff any more.

I overheard someone recently saying they were going to try a flea market, I was like haha yeah right. Maybe you could go to the one with the guy that specifically sells retro games for $$$ but other than that you're not going to find shit.
Agreed. At the very least you'll find PS2 sports titles.

Teknoman

You can still get lucky at flea and thrift shops. I do every so often. Its not as much as it was back in the day, but you can still come up on some nice stuff.

You can still get lucky at flea and thrift shops. I do every so often. Its not as much as it was back in the day, but you can still come up on some nice stuff.

I think I'm going to do this on Saturday. Make a run down to a local flea market and see if I can find anything.

The days of hitting up garage sales are long gone though :(

Not only have most people sold their kids games, but nowadays they know how to google and set the prices near eBay level.

New002

I find that garage sales is more where it's at these days, but it's a real time investment. I was born a few years too early to really enjoy the hunt before everyone just started price matching ebay.

Rich!

Attempt 2

Oh god

Don't do anything else. Take photos of the underside of the board and show us. I'm worried you've messed it up beyond repair. It should be a very clean installation.

4tJBQ2zl.jpg

That's a photo of my SFC Jr in the process of being rgb modded. I had already added csync and hooked up the resistors to ground, but took the photo before hooking up the three wires for rgb - but the installation looks no different. Excuse the electrical tape (I did reduce it after) I dislike using glue.

If yours looks any different to that, that's bad. For what it's worth, ONLY the resistors are soldered to the rgb points - the three rgb wires are soldered to the resistor wires - there's as minimal solder as possible on the actual board.

Grief.exe

Oh god

Don't do anything else. Take photos of the underside of the board and show us. I'm worried you've messed it up beyond repair. It should be a very clean installation.

I buttoned her up, so may have to wait for next time.

I didn't install the resistors, and I wonder if that is causing me problems as my wire gauge is slightly too large to fit into the holes, so I have to create that connection with solder.

Rich!

got this in the post today (the cartridge)

N2XWEv9l.jpg

£12. Free postage. Full english apart from the title screen

lol at the USA version price

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Question: Is Brandish 2 playable for people who don't speak Japanese? I know there's a fan translation, but I'd just be playing whatever's on the cart.

Is it the same with Superstar? I still dont have that.

Kirby SUPER DELUXE has a bit more text for menus and some explanation crap but it's very easy to get past.

BTW sometimes it's better to search for the JP name like "kirby super deluxe" on ebay, you can find carts that were listed without the English name with cheaper prices.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Kirby SUPER DELUXE has a bit more text for menus and some explanation crap but it's very easy to get past.

BTW sometimes it's better to search for the JP name like "kirby super deluxe" on ebay, you can find carts that were listed without the English name with cheaper prices.

Yeah, I know this trick. Been importing a lot from Japan the last few years :) Thanks btw, might as wel get Superstar as well then!

AmyS

Electronic Gaming Monthly's three main Super Famicom articles from 1989 to 1990.

July 1989 (EGM #2).

They show that redesigned 8-bit Famicom saying it was the original Famicom, even though it's obviously not the actual original design from 1983. Plus, they get the year it was released wrong, saying 1985 (NES came to America in '85). Otherwise, it was a pretty fascinating article for the time.

Actual 1983 8-bit Famicom, obviously.

Their next major update July 1990 (EGM #12).

Another good article, however they're saying SFC was revealed to the Japanese press in summer of 1989. No, that happened Nov. '88. Their own coverage began in summer 1989.
Also shows one of the two designs changes. The other one not shown in the article (but posted right below) was very similar to the first main revision but neither were final.
The differences look to be controller ports were on opposite sides of the front, the 2nd one does not have the expansion port next to the controller port, the headphone jack & volume on the side is gone.

October 1990 (EGM #15) SFC Japan pre-launch. Seems to be the final SFC design.

Rich!

amyS banned again

why venture into any political thread? Apart from the odd thread here and there and the danganronpa OT, I try to stay the hell away from OT nowadays. Every other thread is about trump anyway, it's exhausting.

Timu

amyS banned again

why venture into any political thread? Apart from the odd thread here and there and the danganronpa OT, I try to stay the hell away from OT nowadays. Every other thread is about trump anyway, it's exhausting.
What, that's insane!!! Hope she gets unbanned.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
amyS banned again

Aren't most gaming threads political threads anyway, these days?

People ain't got no chill.

Grief.exe

Update Retro RGB soldering mistakes.

Sent an email to RetroRGB with my issue and they replied back to me right away. They want to send in pictures of my work and says they will help troublshoot which is great customer service as I'm clearly at fault.

Will post some pics tonight.

amyS banned again

I'm always up in political threads as it's my secondary hobby.

BocoDragon

AmyS if you're out there, I appreciate those EGM scans.

I love catching up on proto-SNES news. That was the very first console upgrade I ever saw, and it made a huge impression on my young mind. It's fascinating to see the hardware design evolve.... And it's also fascinating to see EGM from a couple years before I got into it.

I had an NES already by the time I saw a Super Famicom in the mall in 1990, and it was a revelation. But in retrospect, I guess the SFC had been announced before I got my NES. I figured this out because Splatoon of all things calls the orange/red Zapper the Zapper '89, and that's the one that came in my NES Action Set package. But now I see the SFC was originally announced in 1988. Just a weird reversal of how I always thought events went....

Teknoman

I still remember reading that issue and asking my mom if we could go to Japan to get one.
Her answer? "I'll think about it".

Still mess with her about it lol.

Top Bottom