• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Peagles

So I want to sell my copy of earthbound. It's complete with box and in similar condition as the one in the picture below. Only difference is the corner of the Nintendo power card seems stuck in the spine of the players guide. Not sure if they came that way but don't want to risk pulling it out.

Can I get some advice on how to sell this thing? Everything I need to do to not get scammed, how to pack it and how to figure out what to list for shipping(im in Canada).

Any tips on price as well?. Ebay is showing asking prices of $1000-$1400+. I haven't followed snes collecting but are those prices legit?

I think the sold ones are on the lower end of that at their highest. People always list stuff for ridiculous prices so like Rich suggested, check the sold listings, like this one...

Alternatively you could sell on gaf BST for less hassle and risk of getting scammed. That's where I bought my copy. The sale price will be lower but so will the fees and risk.

I just checked and my copy doesn't have the card stuck in the spine. I'd just leave it in there though as you might damage it.

big_z

I think the sold ones are on the lower end of that at their highest. People always list stuff for ridiculous prices so like Rich suggested, check the sold listings, like this one...

Alternatively you could sell on gaf BST for less hassle and risk of getting scammed. That's where I bought my copy. The sale price will be lower but so will the fees and risk.

I just checked and my copy doesn't have the card stuck in the spine. I'd just leave it in there though as you might damage it.

seems like 800-1100 is average for most. some higher, some lower, depending on quality.

I don't want to sell on gaf because I need to maximize sale price, its going towards an unexpected bill.

advice on shipping and ways to prevent scamming? im going to use paypal and tracking with signature is a must I assume. will take pictures of everything unpacked and packed. should I set the listing to no refunds/returns to avoid getting trash sent back? anything else I should do?

last year I got screwed out of about $700. paypal said the funds were good, ebay said ship so I did. funds got held a few days later due to fraudulent behavior, entered the tracking info and everything and still lost the case. I called paypal and they admitted that user had a history of fraud but couldn't reverse the refund. wtf?! I don't want that shit to happen again.

Peagles

seems like 800-1100 is average for most. some higher, some lower, depending on quality.

I don't want to sell on gaf because I need to maximize sale price, its going towards an unexpected bill.

advice on shipping and ways to prevent scamming? im going to use paypal and tracking with signature is a must I assume. will take pictures of everything unpacked and packed. should I set the listing to no refunds/returns to avoid getting trash sent back? anything else I should do?

last year I got screwed out of about $700. paypal said the funds were good, ebay said ship so I did. funds got held a few days later due to fraudulent behavior, entered the tracking info and everything and still lost the case. I called paypal and they admitted that user had a history of fraud but couldn't reverse the refund. wtf?! I don't want that shit to happen again.

Well by selling on gaf I mean you avoid much of the risk while the lack of fees evens out the price difference. I'm not clued up on the fees but you'd end up with the same amount in your bank account if say you lose 10% and sell for $1000 on eBay vs $900 on gaf. I have never personally sold anything on eBay because of the fraud risk (but also because I live in New Zealand). I'm not aware of any foolproof ways to avoid getting scammed on eBay because they so often side with the buyer even when tracking is entered, etc. All I would probably do is take the money out of your Paypal ASAP in case something goes wrong. Others who are more experienced at selling on eBay may be able to add more.

The only other thing I have to add is that you might attract more buyers if you open the cart and take pictures of the PCB to verify it's authenticity. There's so many fakes and repros on eBay now people might be glad at the chance to buy something genuine.

NDPsycho

I'm looking for someone that does battery replacements, with the holder, not just batteries. Anybody you would recommend and what does it normally cost?

NDPsycho

The only other thing I have to add is that you might attract more buyers if you open the cart and take pictures of the PCB to verify it's authenticity. There's so many fakes and repros on eBay now people might be glad at the chance to buy something genuine.

Definitely do this. I know I've paid more when you remove doubt about it being legit. Closeup of the labels help too.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So... was Secret of Evermore actually good? I know it's a sequel to SoM made by a buncha white dudes, but maybe it's still worth playing?

I've never played Secret of Mana either... though I do have it laying around here somewhere. Bought it a few years back and just haven't been able to play it.

Rich!

I'm looking for someone that does battery replacements, with the holder, not just batteries. Anybody you would recommend and what does it normally cost?

Yourself.

It's literally the easiest thing ever. Hold a soldering iron to the two points to remove the old battery, slot a new tabbed one in and solder the two points back. Done.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So... was Secret of Evermore actually good? I know it's a sequel to SoM made by a buncha white dudes, but maybe it's still worth playing?

I've never played Secret of Mana either... though I do have it laying around here somewhere. Bought it a few years back and just haven't been able to play it.

Its not really a sequel, but it was marketed as such. Its a better game than history gave it credit for - and i also think Secret of Mana itself is a worse game than history give it credit for. Both of them are a step below the top-tier action-rpgs on the system imo, but definitely worth playing.

TheMoon

Yes it was good. It's not a sequel to Secret of Mana, it has nothing to do with the Mana games other than the gameplay basics carrying over (ring menu, charging attacks). People hate it because they didn't bring over the actual sequel to Secret of Mana. It's the only game made by Square USA. Also first(?) game OST composed by dude what made people drool over the Skyrim OST (also not similar at all but still^^).

NDPsycho

I dunno man

As far as soldering goes, it's pretty basic stuff

Having never soldered in my life, you can maybe understand my reluctance to buy the tools and attempt it on stuff like earthbound, kirby, etc.?

I get that I could practice on some cheap cart, but I'd rather pay someone that is good at it. I've been looking at eBay and there are people that do, which is why I was asking if anyone had somebody they could recommend. Because I'm not only concerned over the quality of the work, but given the costs of the games, I'm also concerned about getting my games back...

Rich!

Having never soldered in my life, you can maybe understand my reluctance to buy the tools and attempt it on stuff like earthbound, kirby, etc.?

I get that I could practice on some cheap cart, but I'd rather pay someone that is good at it. I've been looking at eBay and there are people that do, which is why I was asking if anyone had somebody they could recommend. Because I'm not only concerned over the quality of the work, but given the costs of the games, I'm also concerned about getting my games back...

Practice on cheap carts first.

So I want to sell my copy of earthbound. It's complete with box and in similar condition as the one in the picture below. Only difference is the corner of the Nintendo power card seems stuck in the spine of the players guide. Not sure if they came that way but don't want to risk pulling it out.

Can I get some advice on how to sell this thing? Everything I need to do to not get scammed, how to pack it and how to figure out what to list for shipping(im in Canada).

Any tips on price as well?. Ebay is showing asking prices of $1000-$1400+. I haven't followed snes collecting but are those prices legit?

Honestly I would try to sell it on GAF first if you're worried about scammers. Be very up front about the need to sell it for what it's worth. If it doesn't sell, you can turn to eBay. What's the harm? Do you have a few extra days to try it? When it comes to rare and treasured items like this, I always like to sell to a fellow GAFer in order to know it's in good hands. And you won't find a more hard core audience of potential buyers. Worth a shot IMO.

Peagles

Honestly I would try to sell it on GAF first if you're worried about scammers. Be very up front about the need to sell it for what it's worth. If it doesn't sell, you can turn to eBay. What's the harm? Do you have a few extra days to try it? When it comes to rare and treasured items like this, I always like to sell to a fellow GAFer in order to know it's in good hands. And you won't find a more hard core audience of potential buyers. Worth a shot IMO.

Totally agree. And as a buyer I'd rather buy off gaf too. If it meant I saved the fees off the cost then that's just an added incentive. When I bought my copy off a gaffer a few years back I still paid a decent price, but even after covering the fees and shipping I still saved vs buying off eBay (and I knew what I was getting too). So much better... Try it if you can.

Mr. Virus

Completely unplayable for me (just now!) but local games shop had some CIB Japanese carts in. Figured I'd pick up one of my favourite games :).

CpG-NbYXEAAl1GR.jpg

Would have bought more, but went back to the shop later and they had bumped the prices up...

Teknoman

Completely unplayable for me (just now!) but local games shop had some CIB Japanese carts in. Figured I'd pick up one of my favourite games :).

Would have bought more, but went back to the shop later and they had bumped the prices up...

Get the cart translated and go to town.

Good lord does that look nice.

big_z

Decided to give gaf a shot first. Made my Earthbound post in the BST thread with pics for anyone interested.

Square2015

Do we know for certain the "300,000" SFCs shipped at launch figure was all available at launch or was that shipment spread out through the holiday?

I bring it up because the famitsu top30 doesn't support launch week sales being anywhere near that high (more like SMW selling <100,000 launch week).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I had a thought.

You know those MSU1 hacks of SNES games? That's the faux Nintendo CD spec made for BS-SNES and the SD2SNES flashcart.

Has anyone looked into hacking FMV intros into SNES games? For example, taking the FMV from the PS1 version of FF6 or Chrono Trigger and putting it into the SNES version?

I think you could create definitive versions with this.

Got myself a Super Scope (well, the PAL one), for about 20 euros:
xxO3BhP.jpg

And then dummy me didn't have a CRT TV for this.
So I bought two of them for 20 euros total, a small one and a big one.
Pic with big one:
VenRy9B.jpg

I've tested the Super Scope and it works just fine :D

Rich!

xxO3BhP.jpg

Pic with big one:
VenRy9B.jpg

You gotta clean that console, man!

I would dismantle it, clean the shell and give a magic eraser a go at least

Olly88

I got Cybernator a couple of months ago. I've enjoyed what I've played so far, but the second (or third, not sure) flying/shooting level is tough.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Cybernator is definitely a cool game!

Edit: Yeah, Im picking up Assault Suit Leynos, even though I dont own a PS4 lol.

-KRS-

xxO3BhP.jpg

Pic with big one:
VenRy9B.jpg

Nice!

This reminds me that I bought a CIB PAL Nintendo Scope from a friend... 10 years ago or so. And I still haven't actually tried it..

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Been playing Prince of Persia on my SFC, and man... it's great to finally be playing these games again after 3 years of not being able to. Nothing we all didn't already know, but this system is pretty cool.

Prince of Persia on the SNES is pretty underrated, too. It's by far the best version of PoP, and not a lot of people have taken notice.

IrishNinja

wow, that Earthbound pic reminds me how id love to replace my lost big box with a bootleg one, just can't find it! ive a great fan-made Mother 3 one of the same size too

Top Bottom