• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I still remember reading that issue and asking my mom if we could go to Japan to get one.
Her answer? "I'll think about it".

Still mess with her about it lol.
In those pre-Internet, and even pre-reliable import scene days, it probably would have seemed just as rational to go to Japan and get it. :p

I mean, if you didn't know to contact whatever weird import company in the back of EGM, or were lucky enough to have a local import shop, for all intents and purposes the Super Famicom didn't exist on our planet. :p It was such a different time.

Grief.exe

Is this the ultimate version of Street Fighter II on SNES?

s-l1600.jpg

Went to Classic Game Fest yesterday up in Austin. Saw a few crazily priced copies of Earthbound, no surprise there, the usual overpriced SNES games etc. Totally not surprised. :( I did get Great Battle V cart only using some trade-in credit at a store in New Braunfels however, so that was not a bad deal.

Rich!

Hidden power ups? Backtracking? It's like the devs realized how little game there actually was and decided to pad it out in the most obnoxious way possible. Pass.

Just makes me appreciate how modern games actually respect the player's time.

TheMoon

Hidden power ups? Backtracking? It's like the devs realized how little game there actually was and decided to pad it out in the most obnoxious way possible. Pass.

One of my favorite phrases :D

Grief.exe

I was playing a bit of Super Metroid last night and realized the genius in its game design.

To progress initially, you need to shoot a blue door. This communicates to the player how to open doors.
Using that knowledge, they put a blue door on the ground. In order to progress, the player needs to realize that they have the ability to shoot down.
After the player gets the morph ball, you need to shoot a block to progress. The player realizes they can destroy certain kinds of blocks.
Finally, the game has you put all of this together and has the player shoot downwards and destroy blocks at the same time in order to progress.

All of this knowledge of the mechanics is transmitted without a hint of text.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Just makes me appreciate how modern games actually respect the player's time

Perfect.

Tain

Picked up a few SFC games at a recent convention. Operation Logic Bomb, SMW, Kirby Bowl, and, uh, VOTOMS.

I didn't see much written about VOTOMS and the screenshots made it look at least interesting from a tech perspective (3D Mode7 mech combat) so what the hell, right? And then I booted it up and saw "TAKARA" and thought "aw shit, of course". It doesn't seem like a good game, lol.

Hidden power ups? Backtracking? It's like the devs realized how little game there actually was and decided to pad it out
in the most obnoxious way possible. Pass.

lol wonderful

Peltz

I never liked the SNES arrangements of the SFII music *shrugs*
Same here.

I was playing a bit of Super Metroid last night and realized the genius in its game design.

To progress initially, you need to shoot a blue door. This communicates to the player how to open doors.
Using that knowledge, they put a blue door on the ground. In order to progress, the player needs to realize that they have the ability to shoot down.
After the player gets the morph ball, you need to shoot a block to progress. The player realizes they can destroy certain kinds of blocks.
Finally, the game has you put all of this together and has the player shoot downwards and destroy blocks at the same time in order to progress.

All of this knowledge of the mechanics is transmitted without a hint of text.

Yea this kind of stuff is on another level. Especially when you realize the whole game is filled with little tutorials like that.

As a player, you don't even realize that you're learning as you go. It all just feels natural.

BocoDragon

I think my roommate staying with me has a 1chip. It's the larger SNES with the moulded "eject" lettering.

But when I plug my RGB cable from it into the Framemeister, I get an image that is bouncing up and down (or vibrating vertically). Any ideas what that might be about?

It works fine on the other SNES I have sitting right next to it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think my roommate staying with me has a 1chip. It's the larger SNES with the moulded "eject" lettering.

But when I plug my RGB cable from it into the Framemeister, I get an image that is bouncing up and down (or vibrating vertically). Any ideas what that might be about?

What kind of sync does the cable have. Maybe it's a csync cable, and you're using one of the newer SNES systems that didn't work with csync?

BocoDragon

What kind of sync does the cable have. Maybe it's a csync cable, and you're using one of the newer SNES systems that didn't work with csync?

That very well could be the case. Thanks.

Unfortunately I have no idea what kind of cable it has. I got it from retro_gaming_accessories a few years ago, and probably just said "give me the one for the first SNES to Framemeister".

Grief.exe

Sounds like 1 chip v3

Peltz

So does the SFC also have a 1-chip variant? I forgot I owned a Super Famicom for collection purposes and just realized I have never tried it with my SCART cable.

How does the video quality compare to NA versions of the console?

RexRogers

Neo Member
So does the SFC also have a 1-chip variant? I forgot I owned a Super Famicom for collection purposes and just realized I have never tried it with my SCART cable.

How does the video quality compare to NA versions of the console?
Yes. The SFC has all of the same motherboard variations of the other zones. Picture quality would, of course, vary upon the motherboard.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Played a bit of Saturday Night Slam Masters this evening, and while I loved the graphics and general feel of the game, I thought it was really hard to do grappling moves and it felt kinda random when I won or lost. Any tips on it?

So jealous, bet that was spendy.

Maybe AmyS was banned for posting copyrighted material?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390708

Based on my experience that usually doesn't apply to old magazines. Maybe a mod can interject but it seems like the scan policy is mainly in place to protect against current publications where profit by the publisher is still being made off the material or where a subscription is required or if it's a print exclusive with no free web alternative to the article. I've posted a lot of Earthbound related Nintendo Power scans before, just in case I checked with a mod each time but it was approved each time right away with no issue. In any case I hope AmyS gets unbanned for whatever she got caught up in, her scans were great and really useful and historical discussion wise.

What is the best way to clean a Super NES case? I snagged another 1-chip from Craigslist this week and it works OK, but I need to get some grime off the casing. Just wiping it with alcohol won't work. Should I soak it in hot soapy water?

Lovely. Nice work.

EDIT: Shit, sorry to double post.

Cheerilee

What is the best way to clean a Super NES case? I snagged another 1-chip from Craigslist this week and it works OK, but I need to get some grime off the casing. Just wiping it with alcohol won't work. Should I soak it in hot soapy water?
I usually take the plastic fully apart and then go at it with a toothbrush and liquid dish soap.

If anything is glued together or has some warranty stickers or whatever, you gotta be careful around those areas so that usually rules out a soak. But for pieces that are just disassembled plastic, I often let them soak in warm water (I don't bother with soapy water), because warm water can't hurt plastic, and it's easy to walk away for half an hour and come back to find an easier cleaning job.

Although I don't know what kind of gunk is on your system. Sometimes I've needed to use a bit of WD40 to break up some stubborn stuff, and then dish soap to clean off the WD40.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
*sigh* stuck waiting for the USPS to deliver my JP21 cable. I have the SFC, I have the power cable... I even have games (obviously.) Can't do shit until that gets here.

Well, okay. I can enjoy the new system smell. Which is... my God, just so delightful.

BocoDragon

*sigh* stuck waiting for the USPS to deliver my JP21 cable. I have the SFC, I have the power cable... I even have games (obviously.) Can't do shit until that gets here.

Well, okay. I can enjoy the new system smell. Which is... my God, just so delightful.
You could always play with composite in the meantime.

I'm joking of course. That's a fate worse than death.

big_z

So I want to sell my copy of earthbound. It's complete with box and in similar condition as the one in the picture below. Only difference is the corner of the Nintendo power card seems stuck in the spine of the players guide. Not sure if they came that way but don't want to risk pulling it out.

Can I get some advice on how to sell this thing? Everything I need to do to not get scammed, how to pack it and how to figure out what to list for shipping(im in Canada).

Any tips on price as well?. Ebay is showing asking prices of $1000-$1400+. I haven't followed snes collecting but are those prices legit?

Top Bottom