• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

BTails

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed those early Super Famicom articles while I was away :)

My ban was from this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211735986&postcount=141

I gotta be more careful :x

Welcome back again, Amy! I very, VERY rarely straw from the Retro threads. I like you guys, and you guys tolerate my occasional outburst of irrational love for Altered Beast, so you're all good in my book.

But let's get back on topic: Anyone a fan of game show/board game conversions? I used to play a lot of Clue and Family Feud back in the day on SNES. Great thing is, most of these games are insanely cheap if you want to revisit them!

AmyS

I certainly will ! ^

With the SFC EGM articles, I forgot to include an even older one that has a lovely B&W pic of the hardware.

8ARytm4.jpg

It's from EGM #1 - May/June 1989.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
i miss when japanese games would just blatantly steal iconic shots of action stars to use for their box art

we lack that today

we also lack iconic shots of action stars...

One could argue that these days, we lack action stars in the first place. The times they are a'changing.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If that "Famicom adapter" actually came out with Super Famicom as they originally planned, I wonder if we'd have had Famicom in RGB 25 years ago?

Maybe it was just a composite passthrough of some kind, though...

Rich!

If that "Famicom adapter" actually came out with Super Famicom as they originally planned, I wonder if we'd have had Famicom in RGB 25 years ago?

It was...it was a composite pass through iirc

Xbone decades early

BTails

So it was basically like those Retro Adapter things you can get now: I remember seeing one to play Genesis games in your SNES. Basically it's a console clone on a chip that uses the power supply from the base console and has its own video out.

The neat thing is that I bet an early 90s Nintendo Famiclone cartridge converter would've been miles ahead of other "Console on a Chips" that we have even today.

For those who have SupaBoy, how did you like it? Is it comfortable? Worth the price? Pros and cons? Just interested in hearing the impressions of it.

Rich!

yay

SPUD70u.png

it was 1p until the very last second, fucking asshole ebay sniperbot users. either way, not complaining for just over a fiver

D.Lo

We've had Famicom RGB for 30 years, the playchoice 10 was RGB in 1986. And the Famicom Titler in 1988.

The Famicom compatibility was evidently dropped fairly early in development for the SF, so as far as I'm aware nobody would ever have seen a working adapter cart. All that was left was a mostly compatible CPU and compatible controller ports, the rest of the SF is fundamentally incompatible with the Fami.

It would have been extremely unlikely to be a composite passthrough though. That would require either the adapter to have a complete Fami PPU on it (aka an expensive power hungry old part) or the Super Fami to have a Fami PPU - a very wasteful and expensive way to achieve lower quality video. What would have been much more likely is the SNES PPU1 could have had a Famicom video mode on board. So yes it would have likely done RGB, much like how the Sega Mark III does RGB SG1000 games.

Those modern NES adapter carts are just a NOAC that uses the SNES as a power source, they are not adapters at all.

Cheerilee

yay

SPUD70u.png

it was 1p until the very last second, fucking asshole ebay sniperbot users. either way, not complaining for just over a fiver

I don't use bots, but I learned a long time ago that sniping is the only way to go with eBay auctions.

It's like, I would see something I want, and say "I'd pay $20 for that" and put down my bid, and it says that I'll get it for five cents if nobody else is interested. Then a day later some guy comes along and says "I'll pay fifty cents for that" and drops in a worthless fifty cent bid. But they don't win, because my bid was $20. And then that same person comes back in five minutes later and bids a dollar, because that's what it's worth to them now that they've seen that their fifty cent bid didn't beat my $20. No good? Five minutes later they bid $2. They reconsider $5. $7? Ten dollars, ten dollars must be enough. Fifteen? Twenty? There we go. They just saw that I'm in for $20, because my winning bid won't go higher. Twenty one dollars. Ha ha ha, they sure showed me. I snipe at the last minute with $30 (because now I'm a little pissed off and emotionally invested), and yeah, they just pushed it up to $21 and stopped there.

Putting $20 down early was a mistake. I tipped my hand. I let someone who thought it was worth less than a dollar and who had all the time in the world poke me and poke me until they knew exactly how badly I wanted it, and reading my intentions taught them more about what the actual value of the thing was worth. And that sort of thing wasn't a rare occurrence, it happened all the damn time until sniping became my only method of bidding.

The best thing to do is consider how much you're actually willing to pay for it, wait until the last ten seconds, and then put down your $20 bid. If you win, you win, if you don't win, you don't win. I don't think bots do much good except they make it so you can't miss your bid by forgetting to place it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
We've had Famicom RGB for 30 years, the playchoice 10 was RGB in 1986. And the Famicom Titler in 1988.

The Famicom compatibility was evidently dropped fairly early in development for the SF, so as far as I'm aware nobody would ever have seen a working adapter cart. All that was left was a mostly compatible CPU and compatible controller ports, the rest of the SF is fundamentally incompatible with the Fami.

It would have been extremely unlikely to be a composite passthrough though. That would require either the adapter to have a complete Fami PPU on it (aka an expensive power hungry old part) or the Super Fami to have a Fami PPU - a very wasteful and expensive way to achieve lower quality video. What would have been much more likely is the SNES PPU1 could have had a Famicom video mode on board. So yes it would have likely done RGB, much like how the Sega Mark III does RGB SG1000 games.

Those modern NES adapter carts are just a NOAC that uses the SNES as a power source, they are not adapters at all.
Now I'm wishing it happened again.

Welcome back again, Amy! I very, VERY rarely straw from the Retro threads. I like you guys, and you guys tolerate my occasional outburst of irrational love for Altered Beast, so you're all good in my book.

But let's get back on topic: Anyone a fan of game show/board game conversions? I used to play a lot of Clue and Family Feud back in the day on SNES. Great thing is, most of these games are insanely cheap if you want to revisit them!

I actually thought about getting Jeopardy recently haha and like you said, that stuff goes for dirt cheap!

I don't use bots, but I learned a long time ago that sniping is the only way to go with eBay auctions.

It's like, I would see something I want, and say "I'd pay $20 for that" and put down my bid, and it says that I'll get it for five cents if nobody else is interested. Then a day later some guy comes along and says "I'll pay fifty cents for that" and drops in a worthless fifty cent bid. But they don't win, because my bid was $20. And then that same person comes back in five minutes later and bids a dollar, because that's what it's worth to them now that they've seen that their fifty cent bid didn't beat my $20. No good? Five minutes later they bid $2. They reconsider $5. $7? Ten dollars, ten dollars must be enough. Fifteen? Twenty? There we go. They just saw that I'm in for $20, because my winning bid won't go higher. Twenty one dollars. Ha ha ha, they sure showed me. I snipe at the last minute with $30 (because now I'm a little pissed off and emotionally invested), and yeah, they just pushed it up to $21 and stopped there.

Putting $20 down early was a mistake. I tipped my hand. I let someone who thought it was worth less than a dollar and who had all the time in the world poke me and poke me until they knew exactly how badly I wanted it, and reading my intentions taught them more about what the actual value of the thing was worth. And that sort of thing wasn't a rare occurrence, it happened all the damn time until sniping became my only method of bidding.

The best thing to do is consider how much you're actually willing to pay for it, wait until the last ten seconds, and then put down your $20 bid. If you win, you win, if you don't win, you don't win. I don't think bots do much good except they make it so you can't miss your bid by forgetting to place it.

Yea, same here. The only time I bid on something without the intentions of sniping would be for a game that I feel is not worth getting up for to bid at the last second. It's ended up only a few times where I actually win on a bid with hours to go.

Also, has anybody here run into the dreaded missing package issue.

I won a couple of auctions from one ebayer. Cib DKC and Cib Actraiser. He sent them separately and both trackings say delivered, but only got DKC :(

Freaking figures. I wanted Actraiser mainly, DKC was just something else that I saw was going for a really good price and ended up winning. I'm going to give it a few more days and hope a neighbor drops if off.

I live in a Apartment complex, so somebody definitely has it! Really frustrating.

Bar81

You'd hate Yahoo JP. That shit happens *EVERY FUCKING TIME* because they have an extended bidding system where the auction doesn't stop until someone stops bidding and most bidders are jackasses like that. I've had items bid up from $20 to over $240, for example, starting from thirty seconds before the auction ends and the auction will go on for 30+ minutes because the idiot waits for the auction to almost end every time before he increases his bid. It's the worst. At least with ebay it's over and done with. I never used to snipe but now I use a bot because of what you described above.

-KRS-

Yup it's the only way with eBay. It's just kind of shitty for me that most Japanese auctions are set to end at a time that is good for American bidders, since I live in Europe. Means I've had to set an alarm for 3am on several occasions just to place my bid in the last 20 seconds or so. Then try to go back to sleep with my pulse and mind racing haha.

Bar81

Yup it's the only way with eBay. It's just kind of shitty for me that most Japanese auctions are set to end at a time that is good for American bidders, since I live in Europe. Means I've had to set an alarm for 3am on several occasions just to place my bid in the last 20 seconds or so. Then try to go back to sleep with my pulse and mind racing haha.

If you use a service like SMJ, they can put in the bid for you just before close, no need to do something like that. Sometimes it doesn't work properly though (rare, but happens from time to time).

-KRS-

If you use a service like SMJ, they can put in the bid for you just before close, no need to do something like that. Sometimes it doesn't work properly though (rare, but happens from time to time).

Well sure but I'm too cheap to pay the fees :p

Also I'm not exactly happy that there are services like this, since that is the exact reason I have to do that in the first place. So I don't want to support it. But seems most serious people are using them now, so maybe I should too.

Rich!

Just ordered some really poor condition jp Yoshis Island carts and a couple of eeproms flashed with two hacks I'll be using with them (NEW! SMW2 and SMW2+2). It's just a matter of replacing the mask ROM and hooking up the correct voltage to the right pins.

Will get it all and done by end of week, will post results then. Will also be printing new labels.

Never had a chance to really play through these two complete hacks of Yoshis Island so it'll be nice to do so on real hardware

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just ordered some really poor condition jp Yoshis Island carts and a couple of eeproms flashed with two hacks I'll be using with them (NEW! SMW2 and SMW2+2). It's just a matter of replacing the mask ROM and hooking up the correct voltage to the right pins.

Will get it all and done by end of week, will post results then. Will also be printing new labels.

Never had a chance to really play through these two complete hacks of Yoshis Island so it'll be nice to do so on real hardware

Never mind Yoshi's Island hacks, couldn't you play Star Fox 2 on that setup on a real console?!

Rich!

Never mind Yoshi's Island hacks, couldn't you play Star Fox 2 on that setup on a real console?!

Yeah, that's my next goal. What I've done so far:

- Super Mario RPG JP to Super Mario RPG USA conversion. Cost £6 for the cart, £4 for the eeprom flashed with the US version and a couple of quid for a batch of 25 5v to 3.3v converter chips (I already have a batch of resistors and capacitors for use). Total cost for an English language copy of SMRPG, £10.

- Shining Scorpion JP cart bought for £3. Replaced the ROM with one flashed to a hack of SMRPG. Total cost, £7.

- Yoshis Island JP cart with the ROM replaced with SMW2+ full hack.

Both SA1 games and Yoshis Island use the same maskrom type and can be replaced with the same type eeprom. I'm cool with that. Starfox seems...a bit more tricky. But I'm confident enough with tech and soldering now to try it with no worries.

Hell, the SNES digital audio mod I installed required soldering to multiple points only a single mm each, and I managed that easily with a dying iron and an oversized tip. Soldering is such a fucking useful skill, especially when it comes to retro gaming. Being able to rgb and region mod all of my consoles and build my own repros has saved me soooo much money.

Olly88

I should try out those Yoshis's Island hacks, what with the original being my favourite game of all time.

- Super Mario RPG JP to Super Mario RPG USA conversion. Cost £6 for the cart, £4 for the eeprom flashed with the US version and a couple of quid for a batch of 25 5v to 3.3v converter chips (I already have a batch of resistors and capacitors for use). Total cost for an English language copy of SMRPG, £10.

I've thought in the past it would be cool if I could do that with a SFC copy of Mother 2 and SMRPG, but have no idea how to.

Rich!

I should try out those Yoshis's Island hacks, what with the original being my favourite game of all time.

I've thought in the past it would be cool if I could do that with a SFC copy of Mother 2 and SMRPG, but have no idea how to.

It's really quite simple. I'll upload a full step by step later.

Rich!

That would be great! I'd definitely like to try something like this at some point, than just thinking about it all the time.

Yep! Well, I used the fantastic guides at http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/cheaper-super-mario-rpg-cartridge/

I order my flashed eeprom cartridges from here: http://www.buyicnow.com/it.php?i=193 - the MXIC MX29L3211MC-10G is what you want. The site is fantastic in terms of service - order the chips, order the eeprom flash service, email your rom files, and a week later you get them in the post ready to go.

I would follow the guide on mmmonkey for details, but here are the photos I took during my Shining Scorpion £3 cart to SMRPG conversion:

C0xVrjc.jpg

Shining Scorpion JP cart. The eeprom is on the top right, SA1 processor below.

a5VZ4jN.jpg

Desoldered the maskrom. Easiest way is just to get a fine tip for your soldering iron, place between each leg and gently lift up each one.

hg45lG0.jpg

The replacement eeprom soldered on. Make sure you put a tiny amount of solder on each leg beforehand and bend up the relevant voltage pins (see the mmmonkey guide for specifics)

bnq45T4.jpg

The eeprom requires 3.3v. The cartridge supplies 5v. In order to fix this, you can buy for real cheap (like, 50p cheap) an SOT-223 transformer on ebay. One end goes to ground, one to 5v. The output goes to the legs lifted on your new eeprom. A capacitor needs to be attached too, as shown.

S53SJzb.jpg

voila.

Danny Dudekisser

I put some time into Dracula XX for the first time this morning, after buying it like 3 years ago. I uh... I really like it. I'd always suspected it was unfairly maligned for not being the same game as what came out on the PC Engine, but I like what they've done here. Just feels like a really solid Castlevania game, and I do like some of the music better than the PC Engine versions. If the game has a weakness, it's that it does tend to put you through a few too many generic castle hallways, but it's not really that much of an issue.

It also kinda takes me back to when I first tried to get into SNES games fa'real, back in 2005. I went to GameCrazy and a couple of other stores that had used games to see if I could luck into finding a copy of Dracula X. No luck, obviously, but I'm sure it would've been a hell of a lot cheaper.

This is exactly what I do. No bots, just decide what the max is that I want to pay, and put that in with around 3 seconds left. And as you said "If you win, you win, if you don't win, you don't win".

Peagles

You'd hate Yahoo JP. That shit happens *EVERY FUCKING TIME* because they have an extended bidding system where the auction doesn't stop until someone stops bidding and most bidders are jackasses like that. I've had items bid up from $20 to over $240, for example, starting from thirty seconds before the auction ends and the auction will go on for 30+ minutes because the idiot waits for the auction to almost end every time before he increases his bid. It's the worst. At least with ebay it's over and done with. I never used to snipe but now I use a bot because of what you described above.

Our local auction site is like this too. Every auction extends for another 2 minutes after the last bid is placed. It's why I mostly stick to buy now prices. People always wait until the last second to place another bid and it can go on for hours.

Mr. Virus

Quick question: Found a Pro Action Replay Mk1 for cheap. Do they have the Region unlocking that the later models have or is it just a cheat cart?

-KRS-

It won't work with some of the newer games though. I remember trying to boot a US Earthbound cart on my PAL SNES when I got it years ago and it didn't fool that game. Then again, not many region adapters can boot Earthbound on a PAL console. The PAR1 will probably work well with most games. I just never really used mine a lot.

Our local auction site is like this too. Every auction extends for another 2 minutes after the last bid is placed. It's why I mostly stick to buy now prices. People always wait until the last second to place another bid and it can go on for hours.

That's ridiculous!

Rich!

Man those scanlines and the sharpness of the pixels makes my dick rock hard.

Which hack is that btw?

It's not a hack. It's an official Nintendo developed game.

BS Zelda 3 is basically a sequel to Link to the Past that was released on the Satellaview add-on for the Super Famicom in Japan in 1997 featuring a new story, an altered world map, a time based weather system, a weapon rental shop and brand new dungeons. It was downloadable in four parts (one per week) and featured live audio voiceovers. After that month it was no longer downloadable and Nintendo have never re released it despite mentioning it and the remake of Zelda 1 (BS Zelda) in Hyrule Historia.

The bs Zelda homepage (http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/bszelda.shtml) put together a team to painstakingly restore the game from the BS data cart to its former glory. The entire game has been restored and is available to download on the page - they even managed to restore the voiceovers by way of old VHS recordings being translated to a new ingame text bar at the bottom of the screen.

As for legalities, I've made a few BS Zelda threads before and mods ok'd it. The game was only ever available legally (for free) for four weeks. In Japan. Downloadable from a satellite.

Anyway, play it.

-KRS-

Oh right. Yeah I knew about it but didn't recognize it. Haven't really played it, although I do have it on my flashcart. I've lent it out to a friend at the moment though, so I'll have to play it when I get it back. :)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Between tweaking settings on tv and framemeister to get proper bright colors and scanlines (the first kinda worked, the second is so far a disaster), I also got to check out Rockman & Forte a little bit. Pretty good game for sure, but hard as hell. Only managed to beat one boss so far (with the mega buster), and now trying to find out who to use his special weapon on. Always fun to check out Mega Man-games I havent played before!

Danny Dudekisser

Between tweaking settings on tv and framemeister to get proper bright colors and scanlines (the first kinda worked, the second is so far a disaster), I also got to check out Rockman & Forte a little bit. Pretty good game for sure, but hard as hell. Only managed to beat one boss so far (with the mega buster), and now trying to find out who to use his special weapon on. Always fun to check out Mega Man-games I havent played before!

Rockman & Forte is one of the best games in the entire MM series, as far as I'm concerned. I think it's hilarious that they apparently made that game for the SNES, despite the prequel being on 32-bit systems, because they wanted it to be aimed at kids. It's gotta be the most difficult Mega Man game I've played, by far. It's rad.

Beartruck

Rockman & Forte is one of the best games in the entire MM series, as far as I'm concerned. I think it's hilarious that they apparently made that game for the SNES, despite the prequel being on 32-bit systems, because they wanted it to be aimed at kids. It's gotta be the most difficult Mega Man game I've played, by far. It's rad.

I've got the gba version of it, but I'm not a huge fan. How would you say the 2 versions compare? I know you have to double tap to dash in the gba version but I'm not certain of any other differences.

Danny Dudekisser

I've got the gba version of it, but I'm not a huge fan. How would you say the 2 versions compare? I know you have to double tap to dash in the gba version but I'm not certain of any other differences.

Double tapping is for champs anyway, so I wasn't bothered by that lol.

So, the SFC version is much better, but it depends on what you didn't like about the GBA version. The SFC version has better graphics, and the color palette is dramatically better. The GBA version, due to the screen size, cuts off part of the screen, so there are a number of blind jumps in that version. The GBA's music is worse, though that might be a bit unfair to say, given that they kinda remixed the tunes rather than trying to straight up convert them to the GBA's sound hardware.

The level designs are the same in both, both games are tough as shit, and both let you play as Rockman and Forte. The SFC experience is a much, much more polished one overall, though.

Top Bottom