• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Just finished DKC2, along with the post-game stuff. Holy hell was that good. Like, I genuinely don't remember the game being that good as a kid. I think it's because I have more of an appreciation for super tight mechanics now, and DKC2 kinda nails that.

Seeing as how I loved that, I think I'm going to finally give DKC3 a fair chance. I think I'll start that tomorrow night.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Just finished DKC2, along with the post-game stuff. Holy hell was that good. Like, I genuinely don't remember the game being that good as a kid. I think it's because I have more of an appreciation for super tight mechanics now, and DKC2 kinda nails that.

Seeing as how I loved that, I think I'm going to finally give DKC3 a fair chance. I think I'll start that tomorrow night.

Do it! I liked DKC3 a lot, so hopefully you will enjoy it as well.

AmyS

Here's some GamePro SFC / SNES coverage - didn't note down the issues though.

cmEHaIn.jpg
P1jEFVI.jpg

April 1991

Cheerilee

It's always amusing when modern jokes make themselves in hindsight.

"All of your favorite Nintendo licensees are getting games ready for the new launch, including...

Mario 4 (Nintendo)
F-Zero (Nintendo)
Sim City (Nintendo)
and Flight Club (Nintendo)

Just look at that wave of third party support!"

$1 + shipping if you're willing to put up with a dead battery and a somewhat dirty cart. A whole $3 for a clean one. Even factoring in ebay inflation, even if you want a CIB copy, you can get it for cheap.

I actually had a battery replaced for a SNES repro cart. So that is not an issue for me.

Cleaning is also not an issue either. Got several methods for getting the weird greasey pit stains off these carts.

D.Lo

Mario RPG is an ugly bad game.

But like... why would you even want to play the butt SNES version these days? Makes no sense.
Capcom's highest selling game of all time. So it's the one we played to death originally when it came out. And it's not 'butt' - Turbo isn't that much batter, the bosses are kind of lame and faster does not equal better (hence why SF3 has no 'turbo') and some things in it are worse, eg sound.

I played plenty of SF2 in the arcade as well (my username here DLO was seen on many a top score list in my small town in the 90s lol), but you can't really hear a game clearly in a real arcade, they are noisy. So SNES SF2 is where I personally absorbed the music, so it's the nostalgia one for me.

I definitely think SF2 deserves to be on a top SNES list. It was the one that changed the game, and Turbo was just a bit of DLC that cost $100 on a new cart.

Danny Dudekisser

Lol, my save file for DKC3 is still on the cart, and apparently, I only played for about 15 minutes. This'll basically be a totally new game for me.

Also, DKC3 has some punchy bass. Wasn't expecting that.

lazygecko

Here's some GamePro SFC / SNES coverage - didn't note down the issues though.

April 1991

Final Fight (Capcom) - This hot arcade title has been perfectly reproduced for the Super Famicom.

(...)

Every level and move from the coin-op is in the home version.

Derp.

Had Capcom rescaled the graphics to be about the same size as Streets of Rage 1 (which has the same 8mbit cartridge size), maybe they could have fit all of the game's content in there. But with this being such an early title for the system, they were likely under more pressure to show off the graphical capabilities.

Final Fight Guy is the most stupid confusing thing to me over all of this. IIRC it was released years later, and all they did was swap out a character. Why couldn't they have used a bigger cartridge to make an actual worthy port? It's not like iterative upgrades of the same game was a strange concept to Capcom at the time either.

Danny Dudekisser

Played through the first 4 worlds of DKC3, collecting all of the hidden stuff along the way. It's a much better game than I gave it credit for back in the day. Still feels great to play, and the level designs are good. I don't think it's as good of a game as DKC1 or 2, but I'm still really enjoying it, and I still think it's funny that, despite how much I love the first two games, it took me 20 years to play this one.

And that's because this game is ugly. I finally figured out what it is. It's not that Kiddy Kong is a terrible design, or that they replaced Rambi with some pansy-ass elephant. No, it's the garish color palette. The SNES just didn't give them enough to work with, and the end result is barf. It kinda reminds me of Mega Man X6, when they obviously had no budget to work with and even the assets from previous games somehow looked worse.

-KRS-

So recently I acquired a very large computer desk from a friend who is moving. Because of its size and plentiful storage, I use the right side for my retro game setup. I'm loving it so far. I bought a small crt from goodwill for 6 bucks and I currently have my snes hooked up.
[/QUOTE]
That's a pretty nice desk. I bet it's heavy as fuck. And nice collection of games there! Although, you don't have SMB 1!? You need to fix that!

Weegee

That's a pretty nice desk. I bet it's heavy as fuck. And nice collection of games there! Although, you don't have SMB 1!? You need to fix that![/QUOTE]

Thanks! The desk is very heavy. I have SMB 1 lol! I have my nes hooked up in my living room with about 10 other games not pictured with it.

Mr. Virus

What is the going price for a SuperFamicom Final Fantasy 4 cartridge? I have a couple of USA carts and a repro cart, but I would love to get my hands on a authentic Japanese one.

All of the SFC FFs, even Chrono Trigger, can be had dirt cheap CIB. I picked up FF6 for £15, but you can get them even cheaper.

Got a Japanese copy of Super Metroid on the way after my partner sniped one on eBay for about half the price English, hell even PAL copies go for. Very happy :D!

Danny Dudekisser

Okay, I take back some of what I said about DKC3 yesterday. It's reaaallly good. Like, the game just keeps getting better and better as you progress. And it's a much, much longer game than the others, too.

It actually reminds me of Sonic CD quite a bit... like that game, this is a bigger, fairly unique take on the series that has visuals that are just way too damn busy for their own good.

Morfeo

Okay, I take back some of what I said about DKC3 yesterday. It's reaaallly good. Like, the game just keeps getting better and better as you progress. And it's a much, much longer game than the others, too.

It actually reminds me of Sonic CD quite a bit... like that game, this is a bigger, fairly unique take on the series that has visuals that are just way too damn busy for their own good.

Im so happy that you like it, always felt that game got unfairly hated on.

Mr. Virus

So after a quick file save wipe and a few tests I think I need to swap a battery out on my FF6 cart (along with a lot of others). Thought it was the PAR but it managed to hold a save on reset so might be okay there.

Any GAF recommendations on cheap carts with batteries to practice on? PAL/EU region ideally.

Grief.exe

So after a quick file save wipe and a few tests I think I need to swap a battery out on my FF6 cart (along with a lot of others). Thought it was the PAR but it managed to hold a save on reset so might be okay there.

Any GAF recommendations on cheap carts with batteries to practice on? PAL/EU region ideally.

Any sports game generally have batteries.

Morfeo

Was finally able to beat the last robot master and now starting on the road to Wily (i assume). I know the Mega Man-series has a reputation for being pretty hard (which I generally think is a bit overstated) but this game is indeed really, really hard compared to at least 2-6 on the Nes. 1 is of course in its own league still.

Teknoman

It really sucks that Contra 3's true last boss is hidden behind "hard" difficulty in NA.

The SFC Hard mode is the SNES Normal right?

Timu

It really sucks that Contra 3's true last boss is hidden behind "hard" difficulty in NA.

The SFC Hard mode is the SNES Normal right?
Uh, the SFC Normal mode is the same as the SNES Normal mode but it does have the true last boss from the SNES hard mode in SFC Normal, if anything go for the SFC version to fight the final last true boss on normal.

D.Lo

If you don't mind exploiting it, you can farm lives in several points of the game by killing spawning enemies
The issue with hard mode isn't lives, it's having a crap gun. Really the easiest way to beat most of the last level is to one life it with two cannons in hand.

Teknoman

I know the patterns are abit different/faster, but are certain destructible parts, indestructible? Like the turtle boss parts (top bug dispenser)?

Danny Dudekisser

Pretty close to done with DKC3. I finished the main game, finished all the Lost World levels and got all the B coins and DK coins. Still apparently have some stuff to do, but I suspect I'll finish that one off tonight.

Top Bottom