• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Rich!

Where do I get a good FAQ on best flashcards and which plays which game and best cost/efficiency ?

Here:

Super Everdrive:

1. Super Everdrive has 99.9% compatibility for standard SNES games but does not support special chip games (SuperFX, SA1, Capcom's MM chip). All other games work basically flawlessly.

2. The super Everdrive does support DSP (Mario Kart, Pilotwings) if you solder in a DSP chip yourself or buy it with the DSP preinstalled.

3. It's a reasonable price.

SD2SNES

1. Instant loading of ROMs
2. Special chip support natively (no SuperFX though) and support for the msu1 custom homebrew streaming audio chip)
3. Double the price of the Everdrive.

Nothing else is worth your time. I would buy the Everdrive, personally. It's a fantastic device. Just be very careful with buying Everdrive online - almost all on ebay are either "China ver" or other cheap clones that will not work properly. Buy direct from Krikzz or his listed resellers (stone age gamer, retro towers, etc)

As for special chip games, here's a list: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips

Beartruck

Double tapping is for champs anyway, so I wasn't bothered by that lol.

So, the SFC version is much better, but it depends on what you didn't like about the GBA version. The SFC version has better graphics, and the color palette is dramatically better. The GBA version, due to the screen size, cuts off part of the screen, so there are a number of blind jumps in that version. The GBA's music is worse, though that might be a bit unfair to say, given that they kinda remixed the tunes rather than trying to straight up convert them to the GBA's sound hardware.

The level designs are the same in both, both games are tough as shit, and both let you play as Rockman and Forte. The SFC experience is a much, much more polished one overall, though.
That's what it was. I knew something was funky about it. My viewable space in the gba version just felt abysmal, I was constantly getting getting hit from things coming in fast from offscreen or things like that.

Rich!

Got a spare snes board but no console housing for it.

Do you guys think it would look good between two mounted pieces of clear Perspex?

ajfoucault

Sadly my launch SNES has yellowed like so many 80s/90s era consumer electronics. Still works great though, and looks great since I have a pretty old DLP with s-video input. It seems all these fancy new sets lack s-video, so I might have to shell out $500 for that FrameMeister when the time comes. My original bulb (Samsung DLP) lasted 7 years, and I just changed it out today with a bulb I bought over a year ago. Looks better than I remember!

Best. Final Fantasy. Ever.

IrishNinja

Started playing this again today, this time on a real snes thanks to the super Everdrive:

man, i really gotta play this one day! i loved the BS zelda that made part 1 look like an SNES game

I don't use bots, but I learned a long time ago that sniping is the only way to go with eBay auctions.

It's like, I would see something I want, and say "I'd pay $20 for that" and put down my bid, and it says that I'll get it for five cents if nobody else is interested. Then a day later some guy comes along and says "I'll pay fifty cents for that" and drops in a worthless fifty cent bid. But they don't win, because my bid was $20. And then that same person comes back in five minutes later and bids a dollar, because that's what it's worth to them now that they've seen that their fifty cent bid didn't beat my $20. No good? Five minutes later they bid $2. They reconsider $5. $7? Ten dollars, ten dollars must be enough. Fifteen? Twenty? There we go. They just saw that I'm in for $20, because my winning bid won't go higher. Twenty one dollars. Ha ha ha, they sure showed me. I snipe at the last minute with $30 (because now I'm a little pissed off and emotionally invested), and yeah, they just pushed it up to $21 and stopped there.

Putting $20 down early was a mistake. I tipped my hand. I let someone who thought it was worth less than a dollar and who had all the time in the world poke me and poke me until they knew exactly how badly I wanted it, and reading my intentions taught them more about what the actual value of the thing was worth. And that sort of thing wasn't a rare occurrence, it happened all the damn time until sniping became my only method of bidding.

The best thing to do is consider how much you're actually willing to pay for it, wait until the last ten seconds, and then put down your $20 bid. If you win, you win, if you don't win, you don't win. I don't think bots do much good except they make it so you can't miss your bid by forgetting to place it.

some ol' game theory shit up in here...and yeah, agreed 100%. ive seen it tons of times and it's shitty, sniping is the only way to go.

You'd hate Yahoo JP. That shit happens *EVERY FUCKING TIME* because they have an extended bidding system where the auction doesn't stop until someone stops bidding and most bidders are jackasses like that. I've had items bid up from $20 to over $240, for example, starting from thirty seconds before the auction ends and the auction will go on for 30+ minutes because the idiot waits for the auction to almost end every time before he increases his bid. It's the worst. At least with ebay it's over and done with. I never used to snipe but now I use a bot because of what you described above.

holy fuck id never be able to put up with that, jesus
bad enough on ebay you constantly see dudes get prideful and last minute bid shit up past what current BIN's are going for, just outta pride or some shit

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, this is nice.

So, 18 years ago, I sold my copy of Super Mario All-Stars to my friend for... some goddamn reason. I dunno. I was stupid. Well, as it turns out, the Mario games are pretty cool, and I wanted to play them again. I bought the GBA re-releases, which kinda sucked. I bought the Wii version, which had input lag and the wrong aspect ratio. I could never get it quite right, so now that I have a SNES again and a way to play it on my TV, I rebought Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES. And it feels good.

Grief.exe

Well, this is nice.

So, 18 years ago, I sold my copy of Super Mario All-Stars to my friend for... some goddamn reason. I dunno. I was stupid. Well, as it turns out, the Mario games are pretty cool, and I wanted to play them again. I bought the GBA re-releases, which kinda sucked. I bought the Wii version, which had input lag and the wrong aspect ratio. I could never get it quite right, so now that I have a SNES again and a way to play it on my TV, I rebought Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES. And it feels good.

I just picked a copy up off of Craigslist the other day, I have actually never played any version of those games.

IrishNinja

I just picked a copy up off of Craigslist the other day, I have actually never played any version of those games.

damn
i didnt have an NES but every other kid on the block did, so yeah, Id played them a bit but All-Stars was actually my first time running through them myself! i know some gaffers hate the physics changes, but i loved that collection.

Grief.exe

I think the cool thing these days is to hate on it and say "play the originals," but I like All-Stars better.

damn
i didnt have an NES but every other kid on the block did, so yeah, Id played them a bit but All-Stars was actually my first time running through them myself! i know some gaffers hate the physics changes, but i loved that collection.

d14.jpg

Wow, really?

Yep.

LOL at that pic.

I feel like originals are marginally better but it's mainly aesthetic for me. I don't much notice the physics changes. The exception for me is SMB2, which I feel like translated really well into the 16-bit mold. I love that version. The first two games .... they are just so iconically 8-bit and the new coat of paint just doesn't look right to me.

Certainly a great way to experience the games, though. This cart really blew me away as a kid. The original remaster!

And it's certainly nice to be able to save.

The only ones objectively better is SMB and the Lost Levels since they screwed up the block physics in the remake.

I easily prefer SMB 2 and SMB 3 on SNES though, due to the graphical update and better music.

Rich!

The only ones objectively better is SMB and the Lost Levels since they screwed up the block physics in the remake.

I easily prefer SMB 2 and SMB 3 on SNES though, due to the graphical update and better music.

Physics changes? Remake? Nope.

Disassembled, the code is nearly a 1:1 translation from NES to SNES. The level format and physics are largely exactly the same in all three games, hence why ROM hacking data for one version can be applied to the other with not much alteration or hassle.

The smb1 brick error is a weird anomaly though - they fucked up the y values on that so that hitting the brick forces you up rather than down, but at least it's an easy patch. Again, there's more evidence in the disassembly that it's a straight 1:1 conversion from the nes original physics that they just fucked up one line of. And didn't notice. I bet it was just one dude translating the nes code to the snes and he just mistyped that one line.

Patch to fix it: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/167/

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I like the remakes. The bright colors and the save feature, makes them worthwhile. I do prefer the originals though, but they all have their use and are well worth owning imo.

entremet

The remakes were fun. I didn't know about the nitpicking until I came to GAF.

I did not like some of the art direction changes in SMB3, but still a great game.

I'm surprised that if the fix was that simple that they didn't simply correct it in a re-release like the later revisions of DKC 2.

I guess they just never caught it in time or cared enough to fix it.

Leonsito

I'm about to jump on a USA Super Mario RPG from eBay, seller says it's authentic and to be honest the sticker looks really worn-out, should I be worried about repros?

NDPsycho

I'm about to jump on a USA Super Mario RPG from eBay, seller says it's authentic and to be honest the sticker looks really worn-out, should I be worried about repros?

If they can't show you the board, check it yourself once you get it. If they say it's authentic and it isn't, you can return it or file a claim. The game isn't expensive enough to worry about bootlegs normally.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Thinking about buying a few more Super Nintendo games in the next few days. Kinda thinking about:

Area 88/UN Squadron
Return of Double Dragon (I know the JP version is better)
Super Adventure Island II
Darius Force

What's good? What's bad?

BTails

Thinking about buying a few more Super Nintendo games in the next few days. Kinda thinking about:

Area 88/UN Squadron
Darius Force

What's good? What's bad?

I'm not a big shmup fan, but I really enjoy UN Squadron.

Leonsito

If they can't show you the board, check it yourself once you get it. If they say it's authentic and it isn't, you can return it or file a claim. The game isn't expensive enough to worry about bootlegs normally.

Thanks, I'll ask them anyway to show the board.

Morfeo

Area 88/UN Squadron
Darius Force

What's good? What's bad?

All those games are good, but I think UN Squadron is probably the best of them. Super Adventure Island II has loads of potential, but the level design isnt the best imo, which is a big detriment when the game is going for a more metroidvania/Zelda 2-style. Return of Double Dragon looks awesome, but plays like a pretty standard beatemup.

NDPsycho

All those games are good, but I think UN Squadron is probably the best of them. Super Adventure Island II has loads of potential, but the level design isnt the best imo, which is a big detriment when the game is going for a more metroidvania/Zelda 2-style. Return of Double Dragon looks awesome, but plays like a pretty standard beatemup.

I'd settle for any standard beatemup getting made these days :(

I just picked up UN Squadron this week myself. U.S. Box art sucks, but the game is good.

Peltz

Physics changes? Remake? Nope.

Disassembled, the code is nearly a 1:1 translation from NES to SNES. The level format and physics are largely exactly the same in all three games, hence why ROM hacking data for one version can be applied to the other with not much alteration or hassle.

The smb1 brick error is a weird anomaly though - they fucked up the y values on that so that hitting the brick forces you up rather than down, but at least it's an easy patch. Again, there's more evidence in the disassembly that it's a straight 1:1 conversion from the nes original physics that they just fucked up one line of. And didn't notice. I bet it was just one dude translating the nes code to the snes and he just mistyped that one line.

Patch to fix it: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/167/

Yes I noticed that brick issue the moment I first played the game. It's such a weird issue and you'd expect better from Nintendo.

Morfeo

Been playing some more Rockman & Forte, and Im really loving it! The level design is standard Mega Man, but the added challenge of the bosses is really great imo. In most games in the series, I feel the bosses are a joke when you have the right weapon. Not so in this game it feels like (or Im doing this in a completely wrong way). Also cool that you have two characters to choose from like in the later X-games, So far Ive beaten four stages, two with busters and two with special weapons.

Been playing some more Rockman & Forte, and Im really loving it! The level design is standard Mega Man, but the added challenge of the bosses is really great imo. In most games in the series, I feel the bosses are a joke when you have the right weapon. Not so in this game it feels like (or Im doing this in a completely wrong way). Also cool that you have two characters to choose from like in the later X-games, So far Ive beaten four stages, two with busters and two with special weapons.

This game's soundtrack is so great

Area 88/UN Squadron
Darius Force

What's good? What's bad?

I'd go for Area 88 and Return of Double Dragon. Darius Force could have been so much more, but for some reason that and Darius Twin are just kinda dull in comparison to other Darius games :(

It's an incredibly fun game. Someone gave it to me complete in box and I have yet to finish it even though I've had it for a few years now :/ Also I was sorta horrified to find it's in nearly perfect condition except for the fact that someone <not him> MELTED two holes on the back to have it fit into a SNES :mad:

Peltz

It's an incredibly fun game. Someone gave it to me complete in box and I have yet to finish it even though I've had it for a few years now :/ Also I was sorta horrified to find it's in nearly perfect condition except for the fact that someone <not him> MELTED two holes on the back to have it fit into a SNES :mad:

Son of a bitch! That's horrible :(

I really wish I had the chance to try that game. eBay prices are absurd.

Edit:

Looks like I'm mistaken? Only 40 bucks..

Rich!

Easy to replace the back! Buy a cheap sports game.

In other news, my eeprom chips arrived today. I'll build the two repros later (Yoshis Island full hacks)

Have you tried swapping the caseback to a clean one?

Cedric

Someone put a copy of super metroid for sale on a local website and I happened to be the first visitor on that page. Got it for 45$, still a lot but I'm pretty happy because this type of stuff disappears in a matter of minutes.

What is the going price for a SuperFamicom Final Fantasy 4 cartridge? I have a couple of USA carts and a repro cart, but I would love to get my hands on a authentic Japanese one.

What is the going price for a SuperFamicom Final Fantasy 4 cartridge? I have a couple of USA carts and a repro cart, but I would love to get my hands on a authentic Japanese one.

$1 + shipping if you're willing to put up with a dead battery and a somewhat dirty cart. A whole $3 for a clean one. Even factoring in ebay inflation, even if you want a CIB copy, you can get it for cheap.

Top Bottom