• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Cheerilee

Does the retrobrite mixture actually work, or does it damage the plastic and only whiten temporarily? I've read both accounts.

I used to be a believer that "bleaching" your console would damage it and give you short-term whitening but cause it to yellow again, faster and darker, but then someone pointed out that retrobrite (or it's DIY variant) isn't "bleach". It has a much more specific design and purpose.

The yellowing of plastic happens because the mixed-in fire retardant from the factory is un-mixing itself from the plastic and trying to escape (certain factors like sunlight or composition helping to slow or accelerate the process, but every piece of plastic that was made with fire retardant is doing it, it's just a matter of time). Retrobrite "whitens" plastic by pulling the fire retardant out of the plastic and discarding it. By most accounts it does not expose your plastic to an increased weakness for soaking up cigarette smoke, and if it happens to re-yellow that just means there's still fire retardant left in the plastic, still trying to escape. Help it along again and your plastic should eventually finish trying to yellow itself.

AmyS

Hey everyone, do any of you guys happen to have a copy of this magazine laying around or stored anywhere ?

c8zySsF.jpg

I think the Final Fantasy 5 preview I've been searching forever for, just might be the one in this magazine, based on the general time frame I remember seeing it at newsstand back then.

What I most remember about the preview, a nice screenshot of (airship?) flying over the Mode 7 generated worldmap.

Please take the time to look, if you think you might have it. Thank you so much.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The spike in price that really shocks me is Pocky and Rocky.

A copy of that was sitting on the shelves of a local store for years in the early 2010s. I eventually picked it up in 2013 for $15. Now it's over $150.

I suppose I'll never own a copy of the 2nd. That's around $300... Crazy.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Was able to get to the final boss of Rockman & Forte. After getting destroyed there, i have to do a pretty big (and hard) level again so im giving up for now. However, if i turn off the Snes, i will have to do even more stuff again, and especially one really hard boss again. So i guess i just have to let the Snes stay on like we used to do with SMB3 and games like that back in the day.

Cheerilee

Hey everyone, do any of you guys happen to have a copy of this magazine laying around or stored anywhere ?

c8zySsF.jpg

I think the Final Fantasy 5 preview I've been searching forever for, just might be the one in this magazine, based on the general time frame I remember seeing it at newsstand back then.

What I most remember about the preview, a nice screenshot of (airship?) flying over the Mode 7 generated worldmap.

Please take the time to look, if you think you might have it. Thank you so much.

Teknoman

Quick review of SD The Great Battle 2: Last Twin Fighter - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_OQ2yAzgw4g

It's kinda average, but still an ok beat em up. Bonus points if you like Gundam / Kamen Rider / Ultraman. I like the later games IV and V much more, as IV feels like MMX and V like MMX meets Wild Guns. Don't have 3 but it looks like Golden Axe meets tokusatsu?

It's just a SNES anniversary thing for USG.

edit: oh wait, this is a different thing!

I wouldn't expect much from this series in terms of quantity. He says in the vid it will be updated much less frequently than the other two (NES and GB). The quality will be very high, of course. But remember he does these vids on his own time.

Morfeo

The spike in price that really shocks me is Pocky and Rocky.

A copy of that was sitting on the shelves of a local store for years in the early 2010s. I eventually picked it up in 2013 for $15. Now it's over $150.

I suppose I'll never own a copy of the 2nd. That's around $300... Crazy.

15 for Pocky and Rocky was a steal in 2013, that series have been expensive forever.

I own both games in their Super Famicom-versions, so I am happy about that. No way i could pay the prices they command today.

I wouldn't expect much from this series in terms of quantity. He says in the vid it will be updated much less frequently than the other two (NES and GB). The quality will be very high, of course. But remember he does these vids on his own time.

How often is chrontendo updated? Wouldn't Mofeo's analogy still be fair?

NDPsycho

15 for Pocky and Rocky was a steal in 2013, that series have been expensive forever.

I own both games in their Super Famicom-versions, so I am happy about that. No way i could pay the prices they command today.

I got it boxed for a quarter last year in my yard sale motherload. Now to hold out for the second one in another miracle find.

AmyS

Thanks again Cheerilee, for posting the scan of that FFV preview.

I'm inspired to play FFV from start to finish. GAF, what's the best way to play it?

Super Famicom, fan translated?

Final Fantasy V Advance?

PlayStation ?

iOS ?

Kalnos

Banned
Thanks again Cheerilee, for posting the scan of that FFV preview.

I'm inspired to play FFV from start to finish. GAF, what's the best way to play it?

Super Famicom, fan translated?

Final Fantasy V Advance?

PlayStation ?

iOS ?

GBA is probably the best version unless you want to invest in a repro cart for the SNES. PS version probably has the crappy load times and iOS art is a no-go for me. Sound will obviously be different between SNES/GBA.

AmyS

GBA is probably the best version unless you want to invest in a repro cart for the SNES. PS version probably has the crappy load times and iOS art is a no-go for me. Sound will obviously be different between SNES/GBA.

Thanks, Kalnos.

RexRogers

Neo Member
and if it happens to re-yellow that just means there's still fire retardant left in the plastic, still trying to escape. Help it along again and your plastic should eventually finish trying to yellow itself.

I've done a lot of research into the retrobrite process and I've never heard this. Everything points to the results being being temporary at best. Yellowing affects all kinds of plastics, not just the SNES, and I've never seen anything about anyone obtaining a permanent fix. They all re-yellow.

Cheerilee

I've done a lot of research into the retrobrite process and I've never heard this. Everything points to the results being being temporary at best. Yellowing affects all kinds of plastics, not just the SNES, and I've never seen anything about anyone obtaining a permanent fix. They all re-yellow.

I'm not an expert, but here's how it was explained to me two years ago when I expressed the same concerns.

The question was basically "does Retrobrite actually work, or does it cause damage and only work temporary".

Retrobrite isn't bleaching. It doesn't expose your console to increased risk of soaking up new brown color from dust or smog or cigarette smoke or whatever is commonly believed to cause yellowing in old plastic. Plastic yellows because bromine (a naturally brown liquid) breaks away from the plastic and tries to escape.

Retrobrite includes bleach as part of it's formula, but it doesn't "bleach" your plastic, as evidenced by the fact that it just sits there harmless until UV is applied to trigger the process. It's a bromine remover, not a bleach.

The yellowing can come back, but only because there is still bromine in your plastic, still trying to escape, and Retrobrite is very "surface level". The thing that prevents Retrobrite from causing harm (that it just wipes visible bromine away from the surface) is the thing that prevents Retrobrite from being a permanent solution to yellowing. If more bromine shows up, wipe it off again. Your plastic should run out of bromine eventually, and cleaning it off doesn't increase the amount of bromine trying to escape from the plastic.

RexRogers

Neo Member
Your plastic should run out of bromine eventually, and cleaning it off doesn't increase the amount of bromine trying to escape from the plastic.
This is the part that we disagree on, I guess. How much bromine does it take to yellow the plastic and how much are you removing with each treatment? Are you taking out 20%? .2%? It could be a very long time before the plastic stops yellowing.

-KRS-

Shouldn't it stop yellowing if you keep it away from UV light, like sticking it in an entertainment cabinet?

People have been saying that their consoles had yellowed over time even after being stored for years in things like shoeboxes, so it doesn't appear to be because of UV light. Maybe bromine reacts with oxygen or something?

People have been saying that their consoles had yellowed over time even after being stored for years in things like shoeboxes, so it doesn't appear to be because of UV light. Maybe bromine reacts with oxygen or something?
According to Wikipedia bromine only reacts to excessive heat and sunlight.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
My original SNES was yellow by 1998, and it had spent 3 years in a basement while it transitioned from grey to yellow.
For what it's worth.

Okay cool. That makes me me good about my 2013 score then.

Cheerilee

Shouldn't it stop yellowing if you keep it away from UV light, like sticking it in an entertainment cabinet?

I saw someone suggesting that in some cases the plastic might have been exposed to enough UV in it's first year of life that 20 years later the bromine starts oozing to the surface, and no amount of UV protection can make it stop (UV protection in this instance would only have helped if it was applied 20 years ago).

Morfeo

congrats!

Thanks! I actually had to keep my Super Nintendo turned on for several days to achieve this, but it was well worth it. Its a good game, but imo not one of the best Mega Man-games. Music is excellent, and level design is mostly good, however, I feel many of the bosses have just too many cheap attacks. Also, many of them are designed so that the actual best way to beat them is to just go all out attack early on and hope he goes down before you do, which is just bad boss design imo. Anyways, still a very worthwhile game and really looking forward to go through it as Forte.

Morfeo

Yeah, he looks like it. Looking forward to check him out, but its going to be in a few weeks because i am taking holiday from today :)

Beartruck

When starting out, ive found forte harder for fighting bosses. His rapid fire does nothing to them. Once you get one or two boss powers you're fine though.

Top Bottom