• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Rich!

yikes, I fucked one maskrom up for yi :(

managed to make one repro of SMW2+2 romhack, but sigh

ordered a shit tier condition cart of jp yoshi's island on ebay for £3 to replace the rom I broke, sadly

Beartruck

Does anyone have a list of PAL games compatible with a US SNES? Trying to play the UK version of Super Aleste and I'm not super if my cart's broken or if there's some kind of region lockout.

Never mind, turns out the Pro Action replay 2 lets you bypass the region lockout on PAL SNES carts! You have to have the PAL game up top and the US game on the bottom port.

damn, CGR's Cyber Spin review made it look hard as balls...never played that one

The game is basically a sci-fi take on Nichibutsu's F1 Circus series for the PC Engine and Megadrive; that series never came out over here, but was moderately successful in Japan. F1 Cricus is a kind of cool but INSANELY difficult game, and that one looks similar... (There are also some later Super F1 Circus games on SNES, but they use Mode 7 and may also play differently. The original ones for PCE are top-down like Cyber Spin there.)

So yeah, if I saw Cyber Spin I'd get it. F1 Circus somehow interests me even if the difficulty is ridiculous.

alf717

Got my hands on a childhood favorite yesterday. Picked up U.N. Squadron and just got done completing the game with Shin. Still holds up for me. Had a a blast playing it and the music brought back some great memories.

Olly88

Ahh, I've been saving up vouchers for a game on Amazon, (quite pricey, $200+), and I'm nearly at the amount needed for the cheapest complete copy, so I sent the seller a message asking if they had any pictures, and I just get a three worded reply saying they don't. Now that I'm so close to that one, I've become impatient and don't want to have to wait to save up a bit more for the next one, but I probably shouldn't just risk getting this one :(

Beartruck

Ahh, I've been saving up vouchers for a game on Amazon, (quite pricey, $200+), and I'm nearly at the amount needed for the cheapest complete copy, so I sent the seller a message asking if they had any pictures, and I just get a three worded reply saying they don't. Now that I'm so close to that one, I've become impatient and don't want to have to wait to save up a bit more for the next one, but I probably shouldn't just risk getting this one :(
If you're dropping two benjamins, id say pics or bust. Snes boxes are so old now its rare they don't have some imperfection.

Olly88

Yeah. I'm actually not too fussy about the condition as I would be if I was spending actual money, but I still feel like I should check.

If only I could turn that Amazon balance into money so I could get one a copy from eBay or something.

Cheerilee

I bought a $100 limited edition item off an Amazon seller once where there was a limited edition, a regular edition, and a reprint. The guy sent me a regular edition with shelf wear, which I could easily find in better condition for $50. When I complained, he swore that the regular edition was the limited edition, because they don't make the regular edition anymore, as seen by the reprint edition (ignoring the fact that I could still buy the regular edition new from Amazon for half his price).

Amazon offers an "A-to-Z guarantee" that says they'll solve the problem by giving me my money back at his expense if he doesn't solve the problem (and Amazon would let me keep the item), but he waited until the last possible minute before grudgingly offering me a refund (and sending me postage to send the item back).

I've got a finite number of those complaints available before Amazon decides that I'm no longer worth customer service (fifty, lifetime), so it's a bad idea to use those complaints, which means it's a bad idea to deal with anyone who seems even remotely sketchy.

If they won't provide pictures, do not buy.

Hell no. I wouldn't even consider it.

Olly88

I've just sent a message to the other seller asking if they have any pictures of theirs, fingers crossed for a better outcome this time. Hopefully it will be since they mention photos in the description, but knowing my luck..

How is the Super Everdrive China Version? I found one online for $54, about half the price of the regular version. From what I understand it's the same exact thing, just built in China.

Rich!

How is the Super Everdrive China Version? I found one online for $54, about half the price of the regular version. From what I understand it's the same exact thing, just built in China.

it does not support higher firmwares or it will brick

just buy an official one

Mr. Virus

Managed to pick up SFC copies of Mario Kart and Seiken Densetsu 3 for pretty cheap. SD3 doesn't like Action Replays, so solved it by ordering an actual Super Famicom...

So yeah, anything to watch out for? I know NTSC Scart cables are a must but will they be okay with PAL TVs?

Teknoman

Managed to pick up SFC copies of Mario Kart and Seiken Densetsu 3 for pretty cheap. SD3 doesn't like Action Replays, so solved it by ordering an actual Super Famicom...

So yeah, anything to watch out for? I know NTSC Scart cables are a must but will they be okay with PAL TVs?

Why not just pop the tabs in the system?

-KRS-

NTSC RGB scart cables should be fine with most pal tvs yeah. Almost every PAL tv from the 90s and up can display NTSC in color through RGB scart. More tvs have problems displaying NTSC colors through composite, but you shouldn't want to use composite anyway. :p Still, it's something to consider should you be thinking of getting an NTSC NES or Famicom.

Sine he's talking about PAL tvs I assume he has a PAL SNES.

Mr. Virus

NTSC RGB scart cables should be fine with most pal tvs yeah. Almost every PAL tv from the 90s and up can display NTSC in color through RGB scart. More tvs have problems displaying NTSC colors through composite, but you shouldn't want to use composite anyway. :p Still, it's something to consider should you be thinking of getting an NTSC NES or Famicom.

Awesome, cheers!

I have a PAL SNES, so sadly it's a hardware lockout for me. US SNES are pretty expensive/rare compared to Super Famicoms over here so made more sense to roll with that instead. Got mine for way less than a Mk. 2 Pro Action Replay so fairly happy with it :).

Posting here before the BST thread ... any interest here in a 1chip-01 SNES? Casing has some wear but is not yellow at all. The board and innards are all very clean. Looking for $90 shipped. No controller or AV cable. Will send pics.

-KRS-

hi

can anyone help me in my previous post #15327?

thank you very much

Gold plating isn't that important IMO. The more important feature is how well shielded they are from interference. And the one from retrogaming cables seems to be good enough in that regard.

Even with all the shielding though, expect some amount of noise in the audio. It's really hard to get rid of completely and it depends on the console itself as well.

Edit: Oh and the one from retrogaming cables is wired for CSYNC as well which is good. It doesn't say if it's composite sync or CSYNC in the other cable. But some Super Famicoms don't provide a CSYNC signal if I recall correctly? Someone else can probably fill in on that, but I think it was only the last 1-chip model that didn't.

Rich!

Gold plating isn't that important IMO. The more important feature is how well shielded they are from interference. And the one from retrogaming cables seems to be good enough in that regard.

Even with all the shielding though, expect some amount of noise in the audio. It's really hard to get rid of completely and it depends on the console itself as well.

Only way to get rid of all noise on a snes is to do what I did and install a digital audio circuit for optical audio out.

-KRS-

Only way to get rid of all noise on a snes is to do what I did and install a digital audio circuit for optical audio out.

Oddly enough I only get noise with the RGB scart cables I have, not with composite or s-video. I dunno if it's the cables or what, but I've tried three different ones. It's not audible enough running it through my CRT TVs speakers for me to care anyway. I was more concerned about it when I used to plug it into a stereo amplifier system, because then it obviously became really noticable.

Olly88

Has anybody used Shipito, or similar sites before for games (or anything really)? I've been considering using it, but for pricey stuff I'm a bit worried what with it making two separate journeys, rather than directly to me from the seller.

Glowsquid

It just hit me I never saw a SNES megathread on the Gaming board. I have no idea why the retro collecting thread aren't all in the same sub-board

Anywyay, um, I'm feeling like diving into the dangerous and scary world of SNES Mode-7 heavy vehicle simulations. Games like

-Pilotwings
-MechWarrior
-Lock-On/Super Air Diver
-Super Air Diver 2
-Super Battletanks
-Super Battletanks 2
-Super Strike Eagle
-Turn and Burn: No Fly Zone
-Wings 2

Are there more games like that? Or did I name them all

Since then i've also found Spectre... looks really bad, though.

It did make me think, though, are there any other 3D SNES games that don't use an extension chip? The Genesis has a bunch,

Rich!

It did make me think, though, are there any other 3D SNES games that don't use an extension chip? The Genesis has a bunch,

Toy Story has a 3D doom style level.

Zelda: Link to the Past uses 3D for the triforce intro, end credits and maiden crystal scenes. You can also edit these polygons using hyrule magic if you wish.

legolas119

Neo Member

Edit: Oh and the one from retrogaming cables is wired for CSYNC as well which is good. It doesn't say if it's composite sync or CSYNC in the other cable. But some Super Famicoms don't provide a CSYNC signal if I recall correctly? Someone else can probably fill in on that, but I think it was only the last 1-chip model that didn't.

Ah thanks! Currently I don't have here the Super famicom, I bought it from Japan (a new one), it will be here in Italy I think in about 15-20 days. Do you think that it is better to wait the console in order to discover if it supports the cable from retrogaming cable? Or do you think that i can order the cable immediately because it will works correctly? How can I discover if my Super Famicom will support this cable?

In retrogaming site, at the right of the screen, you choose Output = EuroSCART and then Sync = CSYNC (Composite Sync/pure sync). Is it good?

thank you!

Spectre and Spectre VR, on the Mac and then the PC, was something of a big deal back when it released in 1991, at least with a certain audience -- the game was one of the first games designed around multiplayer (LAN) network play, a very rare thing in those pre-Doom days. Spectre helped push forward the concept of playing multiplayer games against people on other computers. The game itself is fairly basic multiplayer Battlezone stuff, but it's good, particularly in multiplayer of course. The Battlzone / Tron-like aesthetic was really cool at the time, too. I really like the style, look, and music of the game. Here's the computer version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0X74Oe80tg

On the SNES, Spectre is downgraded, but is still a good game; I like it. It runs fairly well, and the core game is there and is good. With only two player multiplayer instead of lots on a network it loses something, though, of course, and the graphics probably aren't quite as good as on PC, particularly in resolution and such. Still, they probably did the best they could for console hardware of the time. Fun little game. I like it more than Faceball, the other two player splitscreen multiplayer first-person shooter on the SNES.

The SNES box, though... the simple triangle design is good: http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/1/6/9/51169_front.jpg but the computer Spectre VR box looks a lot better: http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/9/9/7/23997_front.jpg

So yeah, Spectre's cool.

Because of the slow SNES CPU, polygons are much less common on the SNES than on the Genesis. (Look at the SNES version of Race Drivin' for example... argh...)

Bauer91

Does anyone know what's the difference between the "normal" and UKV version of PAL Donkey Kong Country 2 other than the label?

Donkey-Kong-Country-2-Super-Nintendo-SNES-PAL.jpg

Found one in great condition for 20e.

Does anyone know what's the difference between the "normal" and UKV version of PAL Donkey Kong Country 2 other than the label?

Donkey-Kong-Country-2-Super-Nintendo-SNES-PAL.jpg

Found one in great condition for 20e.

It might be English/French language selection instead of English/German language selection, similar to the FAH version.

Bauer91

It might be English/French language selection instead of English/German language selection, similar to the FAH version.

Yeah I asked the seller and he said it means it's for the English market and not German for example but I assume any DKC2 version would have the option for English.

Anyway I had DKC2 back in the day but stupidly traded it for a Riddler toy and the kid moved away to another country so I never got it back and I miss it. I love DKC games, some of my favourite ever. The price seems very fair seeing as how the only other one listed that has the regular label in worse condition goes for 30e so I think I should jump on it.

Top Bottom