• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

So I've been looking at my options for flash carts, and I didn't want to spend $100+ for an Everdrive or $200+ for the SD2SNES, even if they both look great I just can't afford that atm. A few people in here will probably scoff at the very notion of this, but I went with a Super UFO Pro 8. I found a local store that carried them and was able to trade in a few things and get it for almost nothing, so it worked out pretty well. I read mixed reviews on it, but it seems great so far. The only two drawbacks are the filename length being restricted to 8 characters and the manual saving, but for the price it's hard to complain. I played halfway through Soul Blazer on it last night, and plan to finish tonight. Then I've got some Sattelaview and english translations to try out.

legolas119

Neo Member
I don't know much about the whole csync thing actually, and am not even sure what my own rgb cables use. But the vast majority of super famicoms do have csync so the cable should work fine.

Edit: here's more info http://retrorgb.com/snescsync.html

thanks! they suggest, from a UK seller, the cable that I found:
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...ntsc-tv-lead-wire-cord?tracking=5543fb4c077bb

or

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...-cable-ntsc-gold-scart?tracking=5543fb4c077bb

I don't know why the 2nd is more expensive, but i think that the 1st one is OK for every Super famicom, they suggest it..

-KRS-

Olly88

After years of wanting it, I finally just bought a copy of Demon's Crest, and it only cost me £25 of real money *insert drooling smiley here*.

I wont get it until the beginning of October though, so I'll probably be shitting myself until then.

legolas119

Neo Member
Just go with the first one. It'll be fine. The second one just seems to have extra shielding.

yes thanks! the shop confirmed that that cable works with every version of Super famicom

Another quick question: i would like to buy an adapter in order to use PAL and USA cartridge. I want to buy this, but it is for PAL Super Nintendo. Do you think that it works for Super famicom too? The vendor isn't sure, he can't ensure me that it works on jap console.
Do you know if i can buy it?

thanks!

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know where I can look at the insides of a Sunset Riders cart? I wanna be sure if what I get is real or not. That is if someone doesn't get it before me. I can never be too sure with this one store considering they sold me a fake and had other fakes for sale as well.

Rich!

Anyone know where I can look at the insides of a Sunset Riders cart? I wanna be sure if what I get is real or not. That is if someone doesn't get it before me. I can never be too sure with this one store considering they sold me a fake and had other fakes for sale as well.

SPAL-AV-0-front.jpg

Teknoman

Watching Beta64 on Super Mario World, I had no idea the Super Mario 3 basis of the original build.

In this world of leaks and unreleased versions, is there possibly a playable 1989 build of the game somewhere?

Rich!

Watching Beta64 on Super Mario World, I had no idea the Super Mario 3 basis of the original build.

In this world of leaks and unreleased versions, is there possibly a playable 1989 build of the game somewhere?

nope. It's been the smw hacking scene's holy grail for a long time.

the best we have right now is this romhack remake of the beta version:

http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=6267

RwsTbnE.png
vP13pZL.png
qnFPRGb.png
u5gLA6c.png
hL76YhL.png
S0MecLd.png

it's pretty much as close as youre ever gonna get

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member

This works thanks. I hesitated at first because it looked like two different carts put together to make something look real instead of trying to sell it with it in these awful shells

Though it might just be discoloration that happens sometimes. Guess I'll try my luck though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Are shells for the original large size US SNES console interchangeable across revisions?

My friend has a very late model large SNES (with the moulded eject label) and it's surely a 1chip. I wouldn't mind making him an offer but it's BROWN AS FUCK. One of the brownest SNES I've ever seen.

I don't want to deal with retrobrite before or after dropping cash, so can I just swap the case out for one of my backup minty grey SNESs which are closer to launch models?

Rich!

Are shells for the original large size US SNES console interchangeable across revisions?

My friend has a very late model large SNES (with the moulded eject label) and it's surely a 1chip. I wouldn't mind making him an offer but it's BROWN AS FUCK. One of the brownest SNES I've ever seen.

I don't want to deal with retrobrite before or after dropping cash, so can I just swap the case out for one of my backup minty grey SNESs which are closer to launch models?

Yep

-KRS-

yes thanks! the shop confirmed that that cable works with every version of Super famicom

Another quick question: i would like to buy an adapter in order to use PAL and USA cartridge. I want to buy this, but it is for PAL Super Nintendo. Do you think that it works for Super famicom too? The vendor isn't sure, he can't ensure me that it works on jap console.
Do you know if i can buy it?

thanks!
Didn't I answer this in another thread? :p
Since the adapter needs a PAL cart in the back to play NTSC games on a PAL console, that means it's using the lockout chip in the PAL cart to boot the NTSC game. That means that it should work in reverse as well, with an NTSC game in the back to play PAL games on an NTSC console.

For US games it wouldn't be necessary with an NTSC game in the back of course, and the adapter works as a passthrough device instead.

So to put it simply, yes it'll work. I haven't actually tried it myself but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Edit: Well I tried my booting a PAL game with my AD-29 Universal Adaptor on my Super Famicom and it worked fine. I used to use that adapter to play NTSC games on my PAL SNES before I got my SFC. My SFC is region modded though, so it can boot PAL games on its own as well.

Edit²: Ok! So since i have the Super CIC mod in my SFC, I put the console in auto-detect-region mode. Then I booted my PAL cart of Mega Man X. As expected, it detected the region as PAL and put the Super Famicom in 50hz mode. Then I used my AD-29 adaptor, put Mega Man X in the front and a Japanese game in the back. Now it detected the region as NTSC and put the console in 60hz mode!
So yes, I can confirm that it should work. :p

What's everyone been playing lately? I'm about to finish Soul Blazer and might start on Brain Lord after that. Enixing it up! Before Soul Blazer I blasted through Actraiser in one sitting.

Conezays

What's everyone been playing lately? I'm about to finish Soul Blazer and might start on Brain Lord after that. Enixing it up! Before Soul Blazer I blasted through Actraiser in one sitting.

I also just played through Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia. I wasn't particularly a huge fan of either honestly and this is coming from a huge Act Raiser fan. They're both decent, but I find both fall far short of Act Raiser. Enjoying Terranigma much more so far (fantastic soundtrack), though the bosses are still underwhelming mechanically IMO.

I also just played through Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia. I wasn't particularly a huge fan of either honestly and this is coming from a huge Act Raiser fan. They're both decent, but I find both fall far short of Act Raiser. Enjoying Terranigma much more so far (fantastic soundtrack), though the bosses are still underwhelming mechanically IMO.
Actraiser is definitely my favorite of the bunch, but I think Soul Blazer is great still. I love all the little stories that come from the characters you release. Terranigma is the only one that I have never finished, but I will probably correct that soon.

Conezays

Actraiser is definitely my favorite of the bunch, but I think Soul Blazer is great still. I love all the little stories that come from the characters you release. Terranigma is the only one that I have never finished, but I will probably correct that soon.

Sure, the smaller stories and restoring towns is definitely interesting. I think you'd like Terranigma if you enjoy the others.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Well that Sunset Riders cart almost looked like that picture. It had a Toshiba thing instead. Not my picture but it's pretty much the same.

http://imgur.com/Rem2HaA

I'm going to guess it's okay? I opened up some of my other Konami games and it also had Toshiba. Still I'm gonna have to find a sports cart to murder so I can replace it's ugly stained back.

Rich!

Well that Sunset Riders cart almost looked like that picture. It had a Toshiba thing instead. Not my picture but it's pretty much the same.

http://imgur.com/Rem2HaA

I'm going to guess it's okay? I opened up some of my other Konami games and it also had Toshiba. Still I'm gonna have to find a sports cart to murder so I can replace it's ugly stained back.

Legit.

The PCB I showed matches more than that one game. The make of the maskrom can vary.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Legit.

The PCB I showed matches more than that one game. The make of the maskrom can vary.

I figured as much, but it still helped regardless. Thankfully the store let me use my screwdriver to check before buying.

Wish I didn't miss the Sparkster boat. That was one of the other USA Konami games I still wanted and now it's too late.

jbueno

Sad to see Gaia not getting love. Actually had it back then, remember it came with a shirt in the US heh. Music was its strongest point IMO, story was kind of interesting, not too stellar gameplay, good 7/10 game for me.

Beartruck

Just started playing Actraiser for the first time this week myself. Got to Act 2 of Bloodpool. I thought the sim elements would be daunting, but they're actually pretty simple. I really like the feeling of ownership over the world the game gives you, especially in bloodpool. The place is a swampy poisonous shithole before you get there, but gradually, you dry the swamps, seal the demons, and deal with the bloodpool itself. Unlike other games of this ilk, the effect you've had on the world is immediate and obvious and I really appreciate that. Can't wait to finish this and hop into Soul blazer.

Conezays

I think Gaia is great. The gameplay is on point and the story is cool and silly. It's also a good length. But Actraiser is the best one.

I suppose for me Soul Blazer and Gaia just feel a bit humdrum coming off of Act Raiser. Soul Blazer specifically feels like a regression in polish and design IMO; I think I'd appreciate it more if it came out before Act Raiser. Regardless, there's still some interesting aspects in all of them, but the bosses in particular are sore spots for me. In near every case, spamming bosses with melee attacks was more advantageous over any strategy. It's not the only game to suffer from this but a bit irritating nonetheless. Also, the "romance" in Gaia felt *really* weak to me. I was never that bothered or invested in the characters/story to particularly care but it just felt wholly unnecessary. Your mileage may vary!

About 2/3 through Terranigma so will post my thoughts when I'm done.

HD Retrovision has component cables back in stock, how much of an improvement are they over S-video? I'm very impressed about S-video so far.

I can't find any YouTube videos on the subject.

I would use them with a CRT that has component input.

Conezays

HD Retrovision has component cables back in stock, how much of an improvement are they over S-video? I'm very impressed about S-video so far.

Definitely worth it. S-video will still look nice on a CRT though. If you're fine with the price I'd go for it and see for yourself.

Teknoman

So much improvement on CRT its not even funny. Doubly so for Genesis and Saturn. PC engine and NES as well, but I believe those need modding and wouldnt work with a created component cable without the mod either way.

Conezays

Well, despite having great graphics and music I was let down by Terranigma. It probably overall has the most polish of the trilogy, but conversely also the most bloated as it is the longest. I just found various aspects of the localisation and and parts of the game to be poor. There's parts of the writing, mechanics, boss tells, directions, etc. that just feel unfinished and awkward. This is offset by an amazing soundtrack on the SNES so I still enjoyed it. Oh well, can't love everything; I'm glad others enjoy the Soul Blazer trilogy. For me, Act Raiser remains my favourite Quintet game and some of the design decisions in this trilogy just feel like a regression comparatively.

legolas119

Neo Member
Didn't I answer this in another thread? :p
Since the adapter needs a PAL cart in the back to play NTSC games on a PAL console, that means it's using the lockout chip in the PAL cart to boot the NTSC game. That means that it should work in reverse as well, with an NTSC game in the back to play PAL games on an NTSC console.

For US games it wouldn't be necessary with an NTSC game in the back of course, and the adapter works as a passthrough device instead.

So to put it simply, yes it'll work. I haven't actually tried it myself but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Edit: Well I tried my booting a PAL game with my AD-29 Universal Adaptor on my Super Famicom and it worked fine. I used to use that adapter to play NTSC games on my PAL SNES before I got my SFC. My SFC is region modded though, so it can boot PAL games on its own as well.

Edit²: Ok! So since i have the Super CIC mod in my SFC, I put the console in auto-detect-region mode. Then I booted my PAL cart of Mega Man X. As expected, it detected the region as PAL and put the Super Famicom in 50hz mode. Then I used my AD-29 adaptor, put Mega Man X in the front and a Japanese game in the back. Now it detected the region as NTSC and put the console in 60hz mode!
So yes, I can confirm that it should work. :p

great! many thanks!!! I buy it!

TheMoon

Well, despite having great graphics and music I was let down by Terranigma. It probably overall has the most polish of the trilogy, but conversely also the most bloated as it is the longest. I just found various aspects of the localisation and and parts of the game to be poor. There's parts of the writing, mechanics, boss tells, directions, etc. that just feel unfinished and awkward. This is offset by an amazing soundtrack on the SNES so I still enjoyed it. Oh well, can't love everything; I'm glad others enjoy the Soul Blazer trilogy. For me, Act Raiser remains my favourite Quintet game and some of the design decisions in this trilogy just feel like a regression comparatively.

The mechanics do have some roughness to them, granted but how is it bloated? I love every bit of this adventure. Wouldn't wanna miss any part of it.

Conezays

The mechanics do have some roughness to them, granted but how is it bloated? I love every bit of this adventure. Wouldn't wanna miss any part of it.

Don't want to look like I keep ragging on the games so I won't belabor the point too much :p Stuff like magic (and magirocks in Terranigma) always felt superfulous and didn't really need to be used in favour of basic melee attacks, etc. There's quests and sections that just sort of drag and go nowhere IMO.

TheMoon

Don't want to look like I keep ragging on the games so I won't belabor the point too much :p Stuff like magic (and magirocks in Terranigma) always felt superfulous and didn't really need to be used in favour of basic melee attacks, etc. There's quests and sections that just sort of drag and go nowhere IMO.

I file the magic system under the rough spots, so you file it under the bloated part? :)

Definitely worth it. S-video will still look nice on a CRT though. If you're fine with the price I'd go for it and see for yourself.

So much improvement on CRT its not even funny. Doubly so for Genesis and Saturn. PC engine and NES as well, but I believe those need modding and wouldnt work with a created component cable without the mod either way.

See my post in the Sega Genesis thread.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=209444053

65USD shipped to my house =(, but I couldn't resist, cant wait.

Teknoman

You'll see a great improvement (especially if your TV is set up properly sharpness/color/contrast/etc.) but just to say again, if you've got a Saturn or Genesis, those see a drastic increase in quality, much more that SNES or N64.

Am I allowed to sell games in this thread?

I've been collecting games since the early 2000's and finally must part with collection. I searched to see if selling was allowed in this thread and came up with nothing. I'd love to sell to people here before I just list stuff on eBay or in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread.

I will miss my SNES but I have no choice. All of these games are complete in box (w/manuals/maps).

Top Bottom