• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

So, I've been playing the hell out of Jaki Crush. This game is TIGHT. Since there is a password option on the main menu I looked up what kind of passwords there are, and they are basically cheat codes. Well one of them was to start your score at 999,999,999 so that you only have to get 1 point to see the ending. Wait, a pinball game with an ending? Well of course I'm not going to use that code, but it has basically become my purpose in life to score 1 billion points in this game. I've been playing on a flash cart, but this is definitely the next cart that I am going to pick up.

Bar81

I thought the Ben Hur and Axelay levels were very well done. Water one is pretty mediocre though

Super Turrican doesn't even feel like a finished game, which I can only assume it wasn't since
you never fight the machine, and end on the Alien level
, and the train hopping level is just very poorly thought out. And the snowball level. Just so uneven in general.

I'm not saying that the first one is an amazing Turrican game and as I understand it, the meg count was chopped by a third so that's the reason it feels unfinished. It's Just that the second feels nothing like a Turrican game - it's more like they came up with cool ideas and then said let's just make a game around that and oh, let's throw in some third person levels because that would look cool too.

Teknoman

Music aficionados here, what genre of music would these two tracks from Plok count as?

Beach
Akrillic

Since it seems like the Folin bros are out of making game soundtracks for the time being, i'd like to find other artists/composers (not necessarily game related either) with similar styles.

Heard some stuff from Steely Dan that has a similar vibe.

D.Lo

I remember seeing and playing Plok and another game pre-(Australian) release at a Nintendo booth at a tech event in Sydney, it must have been late 1993 or early 1994.

I haven't played Plok ever since.

The other game I have played a lot since then. It was Super Metroid.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I remember seeing and playing Plok and another game pre-(Australian) release at a Nintendo booth at a tech event in Sydney, it must have been late 1993 or early 1994.

I haven't played Plok ever since.

The other game I have played a lot since then. It was Super Metroid.

Lol, i doubt anybody would ever compare those two games seriously. I remember the previews of Plok back in the day all being very "just another plattformer", but i was always intrigued by the screenshots, which is why I still want to check it out.

D.Lo

Haha. Not comparing anything, just telling my story how a random western developed platformer has a personal memory that links it with the greatest game ever made.

Morfeo

Haha. Not comparing anything, just telling my story how a random western developed platformer has a personal memory that links it with the greatest game ever made.

But I could see why you would never care for it again if you did indeed check it out next to a game like Super Metroid :)

Beartruck

So yesterday I received both Jaki Crush and Rockman & Forte after weeks of waiting! Heres how I feel about each:

Jaki Crush: Definitely the weakest of the Crush series. Its clearly the best looking of the 3, as they use the SNES' s extra horsepower in some neat ways (notably the main oni head). The music's not as memorable as Alien crush's though, and the design of the table needed another pass. Its mostly the middle paddles, which are kind of awkward and make getting to the top table kind of a pain (and monsters stepping in the way can really screw you up). Overall though, im having fun. Current highscores only 4.2 million, so ive got a way to go.

Rockman & Forte: I'm 5 bosses in. Fuck Burner Man. He can burn(er man) in hell. Interesting way of fighting him but it is so frustrating. Otherwise this games a blast. Only flaw is item shops not very clear about which items are one time use and which aren't. I bought Bass' boost upgrade which you think would be permanent but isn't.

So yesterday I received both Jaki Crush and Rockman & Forte after weeks of waiting! Heres how I feel about each:

Jaki Crush: Definitely the weakest of the Crush series. Its clearly the best looking of the 3, as they use the SNES' s extra horsepower in some neat ways (notably the main oni head). The music's not as memorable as Alien crush's though, and the design of the table needed another pass. Its mostly the middle paddles, which are kind of awkward and make getting to the top table kind of a pain (and monsters stepping in the way can really screw you up). Overall though, im having fun. Current highscores only 4.2 million, so ive got a way to go.

Rockman & Forte: I'm 5 bosses in. Fuck Burner Man. He can burn(er man) in hell. Interesting way of fighting him but it is so frustrating. Otherwise this games a blast. Only flaw is item shops not very clear about which items are one time use and which aren't. I bought Bass' boost upgrade which you think would be permanent but isn't.
Once you figure it out, getting from the middle to the top area is super easy. Land the ball on the middle right paddle, wait for a clear shot(small enemies circling the bigger one) and hold the button when you flick the paddle. The top right paddle stays up and the ball goes straight through. When shooting from the bottom left paddle, hold down the right paddle button and the ball will bounce off the bottom of the middle right paddle at an angle and land near the middle left paddle. I hope that all made sense. I didn't like it at first either, but it has grown on me and I think it is more interesting than a top, middle, and bottom that all have the same paddle placement.

Morfeo

Burner Man can fuck right off yeah. Just wait untill the final levels when you have to fight him again (and preferably should win by loosing as little hp as possible).

legolas119

Neo Member
Didn't I answer this in another thread? :p
Since the adapter needs a PAL cart in the back to play NTSC games on a PAL console, that means it's using the lockout chip in the PAL cart to boot the NTSC game. That means that it should work in reverse as well, with an NTSC game in the back to play PAL games on an NTSC console.

For US games it wouldn't be necessary with an NTSC game in the back of course, and the adapter works as a passthrough device instead.

So to put it simply, yes it'll work. I haven't actually tried it myself but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Edit: Well I tried my booting a PAL game with my AD-29 Universal Adaptor on my Super Famicom and it worked fine. I used to use that adapter to play NTSC games on my PAL SNES before I got my SFC. My SFC is region modded though, so it can boot PAL games on its own as well.

Edit²: Ok! So since i have the Super CIC mod in my SFC, I put the console in auto-detect-region mode. Then I booted my PAL cart of Mega Man X. As expected, it detected the region as PAL and put the Super Famicom in 50hz mode. Then I used my AD-29 adaptor, put Mega Man X in the front and a Japanese game in the back. Now it detected the region as NTSC and put the console in 60hz mode!
So yes, I can confirm that it should work. :p

Hi, today i received my new Super Famicom with some games and the adaptor.

Well, 2 jap games work perfectly.

But I have another jap games and an USA game that don't work... I put the USA game alone in the front, without jap game in the back, but when I start the console, there isn't any image in the tv. Even if I try to insert a jap game in the back, the USA game doesn't work.

Do you think that i have to clean with alcool or antioxidant the contacts of the cartridges?

thank you for your help!

EDIT: I simplyblowed in the contacts of the japanese game and it works! So now only the USA game doesn't work. Problably I have to clean both contacts of the game and of the adaptor?

Beartruck

Once you figure it out, getting from the middle to the top area is super easy. Land the ball on the middle right paddle, wait for a clear shot(small enemies circling the bigger one) and hold the button when you flick the paddle. The top right paddle stays up and the ball goes straight through. When shooting from the bottom left paddle, hold down the right paddle button and the ball will bounce off the bottom of the middle right paddle at an angle and land near the middle left paddle. I hope that all made sense. I didn't like it at first either, but it has grown on me and I think it is more interesting than a top, middle, and bottom that all have the same paddle placement.

I figured out the first tip on my own but the 2nd tip was much appreciated. Thanks!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Anyone have any cool solutions for organizing Super Famicom/PAL SNES games?

I'd love to have a vertical rack for them like my couple of US SNES organizers, but it occurs to me that I've never seen anything like that for the international cart design. Which is interesting since it's the style of 2/3 of the major regions.

(I guess I've seen a few organizers for SuperFami games. Show me what you got anyway).

Morfeo

Anyone have any cool solutions for organizing Super Famicom/PAL SNES games?

I'd love to have a vertical rack for them like my couple of US SNES organizers, but it occurs to me that I've never seen anything like that for the international cart design. Which is interesting since it's the style of 2/3 of the major regions.

(I guess I've seen a few organizers for SuperFami games. Show me what you got anyway).

I would be interested in this as well, sucks they dont have end labels like the NA carts.

BocoDragon

I would be interested in this as well, sucks they dont have end labels like the NA carts.

I've been brainstorming on this problem. No solutions yet. ;)

Maybe a good 3D printed "riser" display showing the front label would be the best solution, but it'd be a space hog.

Or a storage solution with labels next to the space showing the game name?

I don't like the idea of putting stickers on the top of the cart >:)

-KRS-

Hi, today i received my new Super Famicom with some games and the adaptor.

Well, 2 jap games work perfectly.

But I have another jap games and an USA game that don't work... I put the USA game alone in the front, without jap game in the back, but when I start the console, there isn't any image in the tv. Even if I try to insert a jap game in the back, the USA game doesn't work.

Do you think that i have to clean with alcool or antioxidant the contacts of the cartridges?

thank you for your help!

EDIT: I simplyblowed in the contacts of the japanese game and it works! So now only the USA game doesn't work. Problably I have to clean both contacts of the game and of the adaptor?

You should always clean the contacts on new old games you get, and probably the console itself now since it's also new. That should fix any issues you have. And if you're going to be collecting nintendo carts, you owe it to yourself to get one of those 3.8mm "game bit" so you can open them up and clean them properly. Not saying it's necessary in most cases, but it's always good to do.

Anyway, yeah since the US cart is going through the adapter there are automatically more points of potential failure. But if you clean the contacts, both on the cart and both the slot and contacts on the adapter it should work.

If the cartridge has those extra pins though, like Yoshi's Island does, the adapter has to support that as well of course. Otherwise it won't work no matter how much you clean the contacts.

legolas119

Neo Member
yessssss

I cleaned the contacts of both cartridge and adaptor and then I blowed a lot into the 2 slots where the 2 cartridges are connected and now it works correcly!!!

Yes I know, I ordered these:
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00BEZY2I6/

SO I can open the cartridges and I can clean them very well with deoxidant :) Do you suggest something else in order to clean games contacts?

thanks!

IrishNinja

looking back, as a western fan, it sucks Wild Guns got so stupid expensive...it's a great little game, been playing it to get hyped for the next!

-KRS-

yessssss

I cleaned the contacts of both cartridge and adaptor and then I blowed a lot into the 2 slots where the 2 cartridges are connected and now it works correcly!!!

Yes I know, I ordered these:
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00BEZY2I6/

SO I can open the cartridges and I can clean them very well with deoxidant :) Do you suggest something else in order to clean games contacts?

thanks!
Ok that's great. :)
I always use a vinyl eraser to rub off the dirt from the contacts, then clean them off with isopropyl alcohol on a qtip. That's the most effective method in my opinion. You can clean the slots by using an old credit card wrapped in a microfiber cloth with some isopropyl alcohol on it, then just slide it into the slots. Use a cloth with very short fibers, like one you use to clean glasses, or the fibers might get stuck in the pins.

linkboy

I'm glad that I build up my SNES collection from 09-13, I got the bulk of the games I wanted for pretty cheap.

My next goal is to look into getting my US games to play on my Super Famicom. It's been a goal of mine to own a SFC since I originally saw it and loved the design. Made it a priority to pick one up when I was in Japan.

Here's the games I've got

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
F-Zero
Illusion of Gaia
The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Secret of Mana
Super Bases Loaded
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Tecmo Super Bowl III
UN Squadron

Not to mention my still sealed copy of Starfox, which I only paid $2 for.

I also dodged a huge bullet, as my ex put them in a storage unit when I was in Korea last year and someone tried to break into that unit. They cut the lock, but the door jammed on some boxes so they skipped it and went to the next unit. Had they gotten in, all of my PS1, SNES and NES games probably would be gone.

TheMoon

I also dodged a huge bullet, as my ex put them in a storage unit when I was in Korea last year and someone tried to break into that unit. They cut the lock, but the door jammed on some boxes so they skipped it and went to the next unit. Had they gotten in, all of my PS1, SNES and NES games probably would be gone.

Damn! :O

legolas119

Neo Member
Ok that's great. :)
I always use a vinyl eraser to rub off the dirt from the contacts, then clean them off with isopropyl alcohol on a qtip. That's the most effective method in my opinion. You can clean the slots by using an old credit card wrapped in a microfiber cloth with some isopropyl alcohol on it, then just slide it into the slots. Use a cloth with very short fibers, like one you use to clean glasses, or the fibers might get stuck in the pins.

ah ok, thank you! I will do it :)

Olly88

Today's arrival

42Onzo6.jpg

I'm not really a fan of these cinematic type platformers, but this seems good and gives me that "just one more go" feeling. Plus the atmosphere looks to be pretty damn cool.

Teknoman

looking back, as a western fan, it sucks Wild Guns got so stupid expensive...it's a great little game, been playing it to get hyped for the next!

Yeah I need to sit down with it for once. Been trying to save it for later for some reason.

I'm glad that I build up my SNES collection from 09-13, I got the bulk of the games I wanted for pretty cheap.

My next goal is to look into getting my US games to play on my Super Famicom. It's been a goal of mine to own a SFC since I originally saw it and loved the design. Made it a priority to pick one up when I was in Japan.

Here's the games I've got

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
F-Zero
Illusion of Gaia
The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Secret of Mana
Super Bases Loaded
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Tecmo Super Bowl III
UN Squadron

Not to mention my still sealed copy of Starfox, which I only paid $2 for.

Man thats some next level fate type stuff.

Today's arrival

I'm not really a fan of these cinematic type platformers, but this seems good and gives me that "just one more go" feeling. Plus the atmosphere looks to be pretty damn cool.

I think the SNES version has the best soundtrack out of all the releases, even the SegaCD and Turbo CD. It just has a unique feel to it.

Olly88

I think the SNES version has the best soundtrack out of all the releases, even the SegaCD and Turbo CD. It just has a unique feel to it.

I've only heard the music for the first level so far and I liked that. I also really like the short piece of music that plays when you die, which is good as I reckon I'll be hearing it a lot.

-KRS-

The SNES version of Prince of Persia is my favorite of them all. It's not a 1:1 port of the game. A lot of unique things in it, and it has more levels. In many ways it's superior to the original imo. Konami really did an excellent job with this one. I was really surprised by how much I liked it when I picked it up.

BocoDragon

The SNES version of Prince of Persia is my favorite of them all. It's not a 1:1 port of the game. A lot of unique things in it, and it has more levels. In many ways it's superior to the original imo. Konami really did an excellent job with this one. I was really surprised by how much I liked it when I picked it up.
Did not know Konami published Prince of Persia. That's right up there with seeing the Konami version of Carmen Sandiego or King's Quest V on NES.

But according to wiki, it was merely Konami-published in the US.

Between Ninja Warriors Again and Wild Guns, Natsume on SNES was magical. Not gonna forgive them for that racist caricature of the Zach sprite in Power Rangers tho.

pr35.gif

BTails

Gotta say after listening to Yes and Tarkus, I now even realize the majority of Uematsu and Sakaruba's battle themes are pretty much prog rock too.

Old news probably, but my minds still blown lol.

Oh yeah, Japanese composers loved prog rock. I hear a lot of Genesis, ELP, King Crimson, and more in 8/16 bit Japanese music.

Kalnos

Banned
^Gotta agree that it seems sorta pointless, you can easily buy clear plastic cases to keep the dust out and then you can stack them and easily read the labels. Cool that people are coming up with new stuff for old carts though.

JLynn

For those who want to play US Super Nintendo games on a Super Famicom, I heard getting the Super Famicom X-Band modem is a great option. I also heard it's compatible with the Super FX 2 games such as Yoshi's Island.

Top Bottom