• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Olly88

Funny, I've been looking on Amazon US and wondered why some of the manuals I was seeing were black and white.

It's so annoying seeing how many different sellers there are for each game on there, at good prices too. Not as annoying as the amount of sellers that wont ship to the UK, though.

He wasn't actually a character in FFIV I don't believe. He was kind of like a parody of FFIV bosses.

Seems weird now, but at the time, I felt like FFIV's style of "god-warriors with lots of crystals and shit and starry backgrounds" was very "out" by the mid-late 90s in jRPGs. So I took it as a loving send up of that style.
There was a bit more to it than that; in the original Japanese, Culex (well, "Crystaller" in that version, but I prefer "Culex") is the embodiment of all evil, inheritor of the ultimate power of Two, brought to Mario's world via a dimensional rift, wishing to know why Mario and his world possess such thickness and solidity...

If you haven't figured it out by now, it's a huge joke on Culex being a 2D villain in an isometric 3D game.

Really, SMRPG's localization seemed quite good, but that particular bit was lost in translation. Kind of a shame.

Square2015

There was a bit more to it than that; in the original Japanese, Culex (well, "Crystaller" in that version, but I prefer "Culex") is the embodiment of all evil, inheritor of the ultimate power of Two, brought to Mario's world via a dimensional rift, wishing to know why Mario and his world possess such thickness and solidity...

If you haven't figured it out by now, it's a huge joke on Culex being a 2D villain in an isometric 3D game.

Really, SMRPG's localization seemed quite good, but that particular bit was lost in translation. Kind of a shame.
Wow, it really was. I missed that part too, and I just replayed through SMrpg. Thanks for sharing.

JLynn

Hung out with a new friend of mine and with no warning handed me a minty fresh condition Super Game Boy and Mario Land 2.

Olly88

I got a Super Game Boy a few days ago. The first game I played on it was Super Mario Land 2 :)

Glad I've finally got one, reckon I'll be playing a lot more GB games now.

JLynn

I was very surprised to say the least. The friend ordered a complete Super Game Boy and while we were at his place he opened it and tossed me the SGB and instructions, saying all he needed was just the box.

And what's this I hear about the US SGB not running at the correct speed?

It's marginally faster or slower than it should be, IIRC. If you're casually playing, you won't notice or care. If you're speedrunning, though, it adds up over time and alters the real-world times you get in your runs.

It's marginally faster or slower than it should be, IIRC. If you're casually playing, you won't notice or care. If you're speedrunning, though, it adds up over time and alters the real-world times you get in your runs.

It runs 2.4% faster. IMO it's immediately obvious if you're very familiar with GameBoy games. Just booting Link's Awakening and hearing the intro music it just sounds wrong, the pitch is different.

TBH the aspect ratio problem bugs me more.

hey SNES GAF,
i finally found a CIB U.N. Squadron and then found a better copy.

which one should i keep or should i keep both =)

dmgLDO1.jpg

445vNx3.jpg

V9jT5fL.jpg

C1vblNa.jpg

8JgGbSp.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I was very surprised to say the least. The friend ordered a complete Super Game Boy and while we were at his place he opened it and tossed me the SGB and instructions, saying all he needed was just the box.

And what's this I hear about the US SGB not running at the correct speed?

It runs 2.4% faster. IMO it's immediately obvious if you're very familiar with GameBoy games. Just booting Link's Awakening and hearing the intro music it just sounds wrong, the pitch is different.

TBH the aspect ratio problem bugs me more.
Is it true that the Japanese Super Game Boy 2 fixes the speed issue?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I recently got and tried to play the Capcom game Saturday Night Slam Masters since it is praised for being a great wrestling-game. However, I just dont get it. This game seems like a super-simplistic and kinda random fighting game. Is it just me, or is this game kinda overrated?

entremet

I recently got and tried to play the Capcom game Saturday Night Slam Masters since it is praised for being a great wrestling-game. However, I just dont get it. This game seems like a super-simplistic and kinda random fighting game. Is it just me, or is this game kinda overrated?

It was fun at the time, but aged really poorly.

Morfeo

Is this music from ActRaiser based on a historical piece? Just wondering since last night I heard this music from Legend, and it's obviously very similar.

Never spotted this before, pretty cool! Could be based on some public domain stuff, or the music designers at Seika could have been lazy who knows. Isnt there an instance on the Nes, where one game simpy ripped sound effects from Journey to Slius?

Olly88

Never spotted this before, pretty cool! Could be based on some public domain stuff, or the music designers at Seika could have been lazy who knows. Isnt there an instance on the Nes, where one game simpy ripped sound effects from Journey to Slius?

Yeah I was thinking maybe there was some public domain music they were based on.

I dunno about any Journey to Silius rip offs. Apart from knowing how good the music is I don't know much else about it, and am still yet to play it too, unfortunately.

Morfeo

Yeah I was thinking maybe there was some public domain music they were based on.

I dunno about any Journey to Silius rip offs. Apart from knowing how good the music is I don't know much else about it, and am still yet to play it too, unfortunately.

At least you have plenty of time to rectify that, these games arent going anywhere :)

Olly88

At least you have plenty of time to rectify that, these games arent going anywhere :)

That is definitely true! The prices are going up and up though, so I wont want to wait too long. I got Castlevania III a couple of days ago and have currently got my eye on a copy of Duck Tales 2, I might have to make Journey To Silius the next NES game on my list!

Morfeo

That is definitely true! The prices are going up and up though, so I wont want to wait too long. I got Castlevania III a couple of days ago and have currently got my eye on a copy of Duck Tales 2, I might have to make Journey To Silius the next NES game on my list!

Here in Norway prices are going down for Nes now, so who knows. Have fun with Castlevanai 3, that game is true greatness!

Olly88

Here in Norway prices are going down for Nes now, so who knows. Have fun with Castlevanai 3, that game is true greatness!

Ah cool, hopefully the prices start going down in other places as well! Definitely looking forward to getting CV, I've wanted it for a quite a while now.

-KRS-

I know that Blaster Master uses the same sound effects for picking up power ups that JTS uses for ammo and health pickups. Is that what you're thinking of? Blaster Master came out two years earlier, so it's actually JTS that uses BMs sound effects. I'll cut them some slack for that though since both games were made by Tokai Engineering with the same sound team. :)

Morfeo

Ah cool, hopefully the prices start going down in other places as well! Definitely looking forward to getting CV, I've wanted it for a quite a while now.

Lets hope!
'
I know that Blaster Master uses the same sound effects for picking up power ups that JTS uses for ammo and health pickups. Is that what you're thinking of? Blaster Master came out two years earlier, so it's actually JTS that uses BMs sound effects. I'll cut them some slack for that though since both games were made by Tokai Engineering with the same sound team. :)

What i was thinking about, was a game from another publisher, Im sure somebody here will remember what Im thinking about.

Olly88

Congrats! Looks like its in pretty good condition too.

Thanks! Yeah it's pretty good. It's still got the seal on, but just been opened at one end. I'm not sure if it's the original seal though, as it hasn't got the line going down the middle in the back.

Beartruck

So, I play a lot of snes games on emulators first to see if they're worth buying. I tried out Super Ninja Boy after hearing about it on r/snes. It doesnt hold up.

It has all the problems most old rpg's have (excessive random battles, butchered translation, slow gameplay, etc). It also has a couple weird unique flaws too, the biggest being movement is too precise. In the rpg sections, this means movement isn't tile based, so you often unintentionally catch on things. In the beat em up sections, it means you have to be standing in exactly the right position to hit something.

Its not a bad game, but everything in it is done better by Castle crashers, river city ransom, and the vanillaware games. Dissappointing.

eXistor

Coupla games.

Heard good things about Treasure of the Rudras. I checked if there was an English language patch available online and there was, so I'll probably be playing that instead of the actual cart, but it's a nice addition to the collection. Both games are in near-mint condition btw, very nice.

Top Bottom