• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

televator

Best SNES game, IMO. Had to have it complete and now I do. :)
LMPUWksm.jpg

-KRS-

When the batteries die, do games stop booting??

My Zelda Link to the past cart shows the NINTENDO splash screen and then just freezes, could it be the battery?

No they typically only stop holding saves. Might be something more serious with your cart. :/

When the batteries die, do games stop booting??

My Zelda Link to the past cart shows the NINTENDO splash screen and then just freezes, could it be the battery?

Not necessarily, but if the battery leaked as bad as this one did and corroded/damaged the traces on the board then you could end up with severe problems like that.

Or it could just be the card-edge contacts being dirty/corroded.

televator

This came today

Only played about 4-5 levels/rooms so far, but it seems a bit mental and like it will be fun.

Great, great game. I played it for the first time properly in 2013 and loved it. Definitely one of my favourite games now.
I have Super Smash on Genesis, but haven't played it yet. Good on you for playing Super Metroid too. Game is legend.

My favorite SNES game as well.
It's the correct answer. :p
how can i get complete one? it must be expensive
Find someone on offer up (phone app), and let them take your money. lol

I think ebay sees them go for like $150. My local game shop had it for $130, which seemed like a good deal relative to ebay. However, this dude on offer up had this copy in near mint condition for $120. This is one game in a very short list where I was perfectly willing to break my $45 hard cap budget. I don't even go above that for new games 99% of the time.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I still remember buying a sealed copy of Super Metroid for $20 Canadian many many years ago.... those were the days....

Cheerilee

I still remember buying a sealed copy of Super Metroid for $20 Canadian many many years ago.... those were the days....

When I got Super Metroid (full price launch), it had a rebate offer where they'd give me ten bucks if I chopped the UPC out of my box and mailed it in. I said "Nah, you can keep your ten bucks. I like my box the way it is."

A couple years later I saw a stack of new/sealed Super Metroids on clearance for ten bucks. I was kicking myself, because if I had taken scissors to my box and claimed the ten bucks, then I could've bought one of these new sealed copies with that money and had 1.9 perfect copies of Super Metroid for the price of 1.0.

Oh well, live and learn. Let's just set down this $10 new/sealed copy of Super Metroid and walk away.

linkboy

I was in my local Play N Trade and an older lady walked in with a sealed copy of Starfox. They were only going to offer her .50 cents for it, and she declined. I told her I have $2 in my pocket and she agreed.

Cheerilee

I was in my local Play N Trade and an older lady walked in with a sealed copy of Starfox. They were only going to offer her .50 cents for it, and she declined. I told her I have $2 in my pocket and she agreed.

It's a fake. A lump of modeling clay inside a reproduction box, sealed with counterfeit shrinkwrap. The "old lady" con is the oldest con in the book.

You should tear it open to check.

I'm trolling. Don't tear it open.

Beartruck

I remember I got my copy of Super Metroid in college, cart only for $6. Pretty sure it was priced wrong, because a week after that the store got another copy and marked it up to $25, lol.

linkboy

This is my ultimate dream. I picked the Super Famicom up 10 years ago when I was in Japan. A few days ago I finally decided to see if it would play games (it mostly just been a collection item, sitting on the shelf). I also snagged one of the HD Retrovision component cables (hoping they work with my TV, since it lacks S-Video).

The console works great. Throw in the two 8bitdo wireless controllers and I couldn't be happier

Now I'm in the process of getting the rest of my collection (which isn't much) converted to the SFC carts.

Here's my collection

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Mystic Quest
F-zero
Illusion of Gaia
A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Super Bases Loaded
Secret of Mana
Star fox
Super Metroid
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
UN Squadron

Not pictured
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario Collection
(both are the SFC version since they're not really language dependent, I just bought them today)

IrishNinja

damn, no replies on krizz's forums, but my super everdrive 2 maintains saves, unless you switch games...then it's gone. you see game names in the SAVE folder, but they're just not there in-game anymore. any ideas?

damn, no replies on krizz's forums, but my super everdrive 2 maintains saves, unless you switch games...then it's gone. you see game names in the SAVE folder, but they're just not there in-game anymore. any ideas?

SD card might be busted.

I had a problem with my Super Everdrive v1 doing some weird shit with a Toshiba 2GB SD Card that came with my original 3DS. Once I changed the SD card it was totally fine.

BTW, never trust anything from Toshiba.

IrishNinja

SD card might be busted.

I had a problem with my Super Everdrive v1 doing some weird shit with a Toshiba 2GB SD Card that came with my original 3DS. Once I changed the SD card it was totally fine.

BTW, never trust anything from Toshiba.

yeah, that should've been my first thought...think ill move everything off, reformat & just try again tonight, thanks man!

alf717

Find someone on offer up (phone app)

This past weekend someone posted a copy of Earthbound cart only for $100. I decided to pass on it though. I instead asked if they were selling Super Metroid instead since it was in their picture. I got a no on that one.

EVO is great! I just played through it last week actually. The difficulty ramps up considerably with the last few bosses, but I was drinking during my playthrough, so it could have been that.

I liked it but last time I played it was years and years ago so who knows if it would hold up. Do remember it being grindy but that could have just been how I played it to get over the difficulty.

It's not that grindy because there is only so much you can do before you max out your character for each area, and there is always a good spot to farm. The last few bosses are just cheap, but what you can do is make a small change in evolution, like removing or adding a horn, and you go back up to full health.

linkboy

I got a set of the HD Retrovision component cables and on the plus side, they look amazing. The downside, I'm getting some insane sych jitter issues on one of my TV's and some minor sync jitter issues on my other.

My Samsung is jumping around like a cat on crack :(. My Sharp isn't to bad, it's mostly on the top and sides, it's noticeable, but not annoying.

Timu

I got a set of the HD Retrovision component cables and on the plus side, they look amazing. The downside, I'm getting some insane sych jitter issues on one of my TV's and some minor sync jitter issues on my other.

My Samsung is jumping around like a cat on crack :(. My Sharp isn't to bad, it's mostly on the top and sides, it's noticeable, but not annoying.
Do those TVs even properly support 240p over component?

RexRogers

Neo Member

I got an email from HDR where they talk about that issue. They're actively working on resolving the jitter that occurs with some sensitive TV's and say that they won't produce a new batch of cables until it's resolved. Given their technical prowess I have no doubt a fix will happen, but it's all a matter of when and then the turnaround time in getting the cables produced. It took them a year longer than estimated to produce the cables for the first go around.

Luckily, my Samsung doesn't have jitter, just the combing effect since it interprets the 240p as 480i.

illadelph

Anyone have any success fixing the yellowing of their console? I read the amazing article in the OP, but it was more of an explanation than a solution.

Mr. Virus

Picked up Skyblazer yesterday for cheaper than I've seen it go online which was nice.

Also clocked a CIB PAL version of Hagane in a new retro games shop that had opened up. Owner (pretty nice dude!) said it was pretty much out as a talking point because it's that damned rare.

Picked up Skyblazer yesterday for cheaper than I've seen it go online which was nice.

Price has gone up... did a prominent youtuber do a video on it or something?

Nothing compared the the rare-ass JP version tho.

It's a neat game that took me a while to come around on. I believe this team made the Spawn game on SNES as well but it's not nearly as good :/

Olly88

I got my boxed copy of Skyblazer in 2012 for £6.99. It was a bargain at the time, but I looked it up a couple of months ago it looks like even more of one now. Fun game, but I can't remember where I got to last time I played it.

I really love Skyblazer. It's one of the games that I distinctly remember thinking "this is a hidden gem" when it was new. Got a mint cart several years ago for about $7.

Also clocked a CIB PAL version of Hagane in a new retro games shop that had opened up. Owner (pretty nice dude!) said it was pretty much out as a talking point because it's that damned rare.

Nice, I got Skyblazer for super cheap years ago when no one was looking for it. Just played it on my Twitch stream about a month ago for fun.

Mr. Virus

Price has gone up... did a prominent youtuber do a video on it or something?

Nothing compared the the rare-ass JP version tho.

It's a neat game that took me a while to come around on. I believe this team made the Spawn game on SNES as well but it's not nearly as good :/

I've missed a few at around £30, which is the cheapest I've seen it this year, but have seen a lot people asking (and sometimes getting) £50/60+ for it. Not sure why it's spiked beyond "Sony game on a SNES" or the general price creep of SNES games. Was featured at SGDQ again this year so maybe that bumped it up a bit?

After 20 years or so years of owning it, I finally finished Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars after restarting it again a few days ago.
I also just beat Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door over the past two or so weeks after also restarting those. Prior to these, I never managed to complete a single turn-based RPG, despite having quite a few over many years. They're really damn good games. I might restart Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga real soon...I was gonna play that the other day (it's been in my Game Boy Player for days), but I ended up playing Super Mario RPG first. Glad I did.

illadelph

SMRPG was my absolute favorite game growing up. The humor, music, unique art style, solid Square turn-based combat with innovative timed button-presses, and all the crazy, optional side shit to do...awww man

I love that the personality they decided to give Bowser in the game is still his personality in every Mario RPG game. RPG Bowser is probably the best and most hilarious video game character, no hyperbole.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I also really liked that they included a boss from FFIV, even though Im not sure I was ever able to beat him.

BocoDragon

I also really liked that they included a boss from FFIV, even though Im not sure I was ever able to beat him.

He wasn't actually a character in FFIV I don't believe. He was kind of like a parody of FFIV bosses.

Seems weird now, but at the time, I felt like FFIV's style of "god-warriors with lots of crystals and shit and starry backgrounds" was very "out" by the mid-late 90s in jRPGs. So I took it as a loving send up of that style.

Laws00

So years ago back in the early 2000s I got Contra III: The Alien Wars from toys r us.

I looked at the manual and it turns out it was black and white.

Does anybody have an idea of why mine isn't in color?

BocoDragon

So years ago back in the early 2000s I got Contra III: The Alien Wars from toys r us.

I looked at the manual and it turns out it was black and white.

Does anybody have an idea of why mine isn't in color?

Probably the Majesco-published made-in-Mexico re-release.

Top Bottom