• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

sugarless

Is there anywhere to buy universal game cases with bulk discounts in the UK? They seem to be about £3 each but would be great if there are some places with offers for like, 5 for the price of 4, 12 for 10 etc.

Olly88

Got to love Japanese sellers. Apparently this is in acceptable, grade C condition, and the box is "Deteriorated".

Tba4w81.jpg

linkboy

Picked up a new TV today and I made sure it worked with my Super Famicom via HD Retrovision component cables.

Games look great and I'm not getting any lag or the sync jitter issues i was getting with my other two TV's.

Timu

Picked up a new TV today and I made sure it worked with my Super Famicom via HD Retrovision component cables.

Games look great and I'm not getting any lag or the sync jitter issues i was getting with my other two TV's.
An HDTV that accepts 240p over component??? That's so rare!!!

Olly88

Does anyone know of any sites which tell you which language options each version of a game has? I'm looking on Amazon.de and there seems to be a wider range of choices/sellers than Amazon UK, so it would be handy to know if a German version of a specific game has an English option.

sugarless

Does anyone know of any sites which tell you which language options each version of a game has? I'm looking on Amazon.de and there seems to be a wider range of choices/sellers than Amazon UK, so it would be handy to know if a German version of a specific game has an English option.

I only collect SNES games and don't know how comprehensive the list is but Retro Collect has a list of SNES localisation languages for EU releases.

BTails

Awesome to see that it accepts 240p natively, but I would definitely run in 4:3 mode instead of stretching it! I also notice some pretty nasty edge enhancement (Look at the halo around the brown block as the best example) that I'd try to turn off by dialing the Sharpness setting down.

I started using my framemeister mini and gotta say I am blown away by the big improvement. However when playing with PAL games the boarders are a bit annoying. Has anyone figured out any decent profiles for PAL?

I have also been thinking about getting one of those Everdrives. I think its handy to not have a big mess and all my games in one place. Also interested in the fact that I can add fan translated games.

Is this one decent?
https://krikzz.com/store/home/13-super-everdrive-v2.html
Or do there exist better ones.

I just ordered a Super Multi Tap 2 and cant wait to get some bomberman sessions!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
storafötter;220637469 said:
I started using my framemeister mini and gotta say I am blown away by the big improvement. However when playing with PAL games the boarders are a bit annoying. Has anyone figured out any decent profiles for PAL?

I have also been thinking about getting one of those Everdrives. I think its handy to not have a big mess and all my games in one place. Also interested in the fact that I can add fan translated games.

Is this one decent?

Do you want scanlines or not?

Is this one decent?

As for better ones, there's the SD2SNES, but it's much pricier. If you don't mind the loading times, Super Everdrive 2 is not a bad buy though. Since you mentioned fan translations, be aware that SEDv2 won't be compatible with Star Ocean whereas SD2SNES will (with a patched game).

Here's a comparison checklist by the way. https://web.archive.org/web/2015101...ort/comparison/sd2snes-vs-super-everdrive.png

As for better ones, there's the SD2SNES, but it's much pricier. If you don't mind the loading times, Super Everdrive 2 is not a bad buy though. Since you mentioned fan translations, be aware that SEDv2 won't be compatible with Star Ocean whereas SD2SNES will (with a patched game).

Here's a comparison checklist by the way. https://web.archive.org/web/2015101...ort/comparison/sd2snes-vs-super-everdrive.png

Thanks for the help. I was actually wondering about the compatibility and if able to use all fan translations patches. However I am not sure if I could justify the pricetag for the SD2SNES along with import taxes.

-KRS-

storafötter;220674193 said:
Thanks for the help. I was actually wondering about the compatibility and if able to use all fan translations patches. However I am not sure if I could justify the pricetag for the SD2SNES along with import taxes.

Based on your username I suppose you're in Sweden? Since Krikzz sends it from Ukraine there won't be any import taxes with either the Everdrive or the SD2SNES. Even so, the SD2SNES is way more expensive indeed. If you do get the Everdrive you should probably get it with the DSP chip installed for added compatibility, unless you want to install that yourself.

r3n4ud

Is this one decent?

I just ordered a Super Multi Tap 2 and cant wait to get some bomberman sessions!

I'm on the lookout for a modded mini. No luck as of yet :(

And ya, definitely pick up an Everdrive. They're great to have.

storafötter;220674193 said:

AFAIK the only fan translated game that works on SD2SNES but not the Everdrive is Star Ocean.

Theoretically the SD2SNES should run a lot more games, but at the moment there are a very limited number of special in-cartridge chips implemented for the SD2SNES FPGA. In the future there could be a Far East of Eden Zero translation released, but the SPC7110 that game used still hasn't been implemented for SD2SNES. Progress seems very slow too.

IMO it's not really worth the extra cost.

Edit: Here is a list of notable games the SD2SNES is currently compatible with that the Super Everdrive, with the DSP add-on, is not:

Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Star Ocean (via a patch to decompress it and avoid needing the SDD-1)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (same as above)

That's it.

Maybe in the future the SuperFX or SA-1 chip will be implemented, but I wouldn't count on it.

Morfeo

storafötter;220640377 said:
I never really got the scanline appeal; so it is not that very important to me. Then again having options arent always a bad thing.

The important thing to remember anyways, is that pal consoles often do 288p and not 240p. Most online profiles will be for 240p signals. The easiest way to solve this, is to set output resolution to 576p (288*2). Then you can use basically the same settings as ntsc users use with scanlines and 720p (240*3). However, if you want the best possible picture without scanlines, you should probably set 1080p and just experiment. There is still no good profiles for that as far as i know.

D.Lo

The black unscanned lines look is less prevalent in PAL, because of the higher resolution. Every line, with data or not, is finer on a PAL screen, and so the bleed over to the unscanned lines almost covered the entire thing on most TVs. Of course the games were squashed as a result of the higher res as well.

As a kid, I really noticed the black unscanned lines in the arcades, since they were sharp RGB on good quality 240p/60Hz monitors. And when I got into RGB and started 60Hz modding my consoles in the late 90s, what it did for me was make my games look 'like arcade games'.

The important thing to remember anyways, is that pal consoles often do 288p and not 240p. Most online profiles will be for 240p signals. The easiest way to solve this, is to set output resolution to 576p (288*2). Then you can use basically the same settings as ntsc users use with scanlines and 720p (240*3). However, if you want the best possible picture without scanlines, you should probably set 1080p and just experiment. There is still no good profiles for that as far as i know.

Thats a shame to hear. I appreciate your feedback. I havent been tinkering too much with the framemeister. However I do appreciate the tips. I did notice how terrible scanlines got at 1080p opposed to 720. I will give 576p a try for PAL games.

The profiles I tried for SFC didnt work perfectly with my SONY Bravia TV (tiny boarder gap on the top) so I do not mind trying other rofiles that people like in here. Been using Firebrandx, and overall I like the look so far for NTSC.

AFAIK the only fan translated game that works on SD2SNES but not the Everdrive is Star Ocean.

Theoretically the SD2SNES should run a lot more games, but at the moment there are a very limited number of special in-cartridge chips implemented for the SD2SNES FPGA. In the future there could be a Far East of Eden Zero translation released, but the SPC7110 that game used still hasn't been implemented for SD2SNES. Progress seems very slow too.

IMO it's not really worth the extra cost.

Edit: Here is a list of notable games the SD2SNES is currently compatible with that the Super Everdrive, with the DSP add-on, is not:

Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Star Ocean (via a patch to decompress it and avoid needing the SDD-1)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (same as above)

That's it.

Maybe in the future the SuperFX or SA-1 chip will be implemented, but I wouldn't count on it.

Thanks for your opinion as I was debating with myself if it is worth it or not. I have checked some videos on youtube and it seems the sound quality is a bit better with some games due to the extra chip support? I am a big Mega Man fan so it would be nice with perfect compatibility with the X games. Faster loading times is also nice too.

In regards to Star Ocean, I think it is not that important for me to be able to play again as I could go for the remake on the psp. I see myself mostly playing Fire Emblem. I suppose the most sensable thing to do right now is to get Everdrive now to test it and later get the SD2SNES. Is the Everdrive able to play those satellite games?'

I could also just wait a bit as I have barely played the SFC games I bought a few months ago.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I just got paid and I was off to the Krikzz store to buy an SD2SNES.... and now he's sold out of ones with grey shells. Phooey.

I don't like any of the other third party dealers' labels either.

Yeah you can grab a random cart and cut a hole in it and call it a day... but I want something that looks sort of legit. I've loved my Krikzz translucent Everdrive N8 and wanted its companion..... :p

I just got paid and I was off to the Krikzz store to buy an SD2SNES.... and now he's sold out of ones with grey shells. Phooey.

I don't like any of the other third party dealers' labels either.

Yeah you can grab a random cart and cut a hole in it and call it a day... but I want something that looks sort of legit. I've loved my Krikzz translucent Everdrive N8 and wanted its companion..... :p

How large is the compatibility of the SNES Everdrive?

I recently bought the Mega Everdrive and the libraby it supprots is amazing, regardless of region and it even supports most of the Master System catalogue.

Can I say, buy a Super Famicom and use it for most US and PAL games or will it only run Japanese games?

How large is the compatibility of the SNES Everdrive?

I recently bought the Mega Everdrive and the libraby it supprots is amazing, regardless of region and it even supports most of the Master System catalogue.

Can I say, buy a Super Famicom and use it for most US and PAL games or will it only run Japanese games?

SD2SNES has auto region patching so that shouldn't be an issue.

However with the Super Everdrive in your specific situation, a Super Famicom would play nice with NA and JP games, but you would need to manually IPS patch your PAL games to run on NTSC systems and vise-versa.

SD2SNES has auto region patching so that shouldn't be an issue.

However with the Super Everdrive in your specific situation, a Super Famicom would play nice with NA and JP games, but you would need to manually IPS patch your PAL games to run on NTSC systems and vise-versa.

Are all Super FX games etc. working now though? The SNES is notorious for having chips inside their games!

TeaJay

The SD2SNES is worth the extra cost for region patching alone. Plus you can delve into MSU-1 patching which breathes a whole new life into some games and makes others available at all. And the extra game compatibility for such games as Megaman X2 and X3.

Bought it, haven't regretted it one bit.

Based on your username I suppose you're in Sweden? Since Krikzz sends it from Ukraine there won't be any import taxes with either the Everdrive or the SD2SNES. Even so, the SD2SNES is way more expensive indeed. If you do get the Everdrive you should probably get it with the DSP chip installed for added compatibility, unless you want to install that yourself.

Are Sweden's customs laws different than Finland's? When I got my flashcarts they were unfortunately picked up by customs and I have to pay something like 100€ extra for the whole package. Sucks, but I was prepared. All in all I've had pretty good luck with japanese exports getting through customs though.

-KRS-

Are Sweden's customs laws different than Finland's? When I got my flashcarts they were unfortunately picked up by customs and I have to pay something like 100€ extra for the whole package. Sucks, but I was prepared. All in all I've had pretty good luck with japanese exports getting through customs though.
For some reason I thought Ukraine was part of the EU. I guess I was just lucky then.

RexRogers

Neo Member
I went ahead and bought Rockman X3 from a Japanese seller on ebay. I've owned Megaman X3 before but ended up selling it when the price skyrocketed. Well, it's gone up even more since then, but Rockman seems to have stayed level. The seller was asking for even lower than average so I figured why not?

That out of tune music, though...

Mr. Virus

I picked up a copy of Actraiser from, of all places, CeX for a not terrible price. Not the cheapest I've seen, but far from the worst either. Sub £40 was an okay price from me though.

Surprised at how sort of competitive their SNES/N64 stock can sometimes be, typically floating around average asking prices online (or sometimes just beating them).

Doesn't mean they don't ask silly money for some things though, like >£100 from a cart only Conker's Bad Fur Day...

Olly88

I picked up a copy of Actraiser from, of all places, CeX for a not terrible price. Not the cheapest I've seen, but far from the worst either. Sub £40 was an okay price from me though.

Surprised at how sort of competitive their SNES/N64 stock can sometimes be, typically floating around average asking prices online (or sometimes just beating them).

Doesn't mean they don't ask silly money for some things though, like >£100 from a cart only Conker's Bad Fur Day...

Did you get it online or instore?

Morfeo

Played a little bit of this gem that I recently picked up:

Couldnt get very far though, crazy hard game. It helped a bit to remap the dodge to B though.

Anyways, I then went on to start Ys III: Wanderers from Ys, and is it just me, or did the text scroll by way to fast in the intro? Anyways, i really like the sound and general aestethics of this game, and since i also loved the first two games, Im probably gonna enjoy this too.

Olly88

Nice, Pocky and Rocky are on my list, though I don't know when I'll be able to get them. The first one will probably be doable without having to wait too long.

Morfeo

I was probably pretty lucky, got both of them for $100 in a bundle. Among the last on my list for Snes before the stupid expensive ones.

Olly88

Nice, that sounds like a pretty good deal.

I'm not sure where the stupidly expensive line starts, but I'm always deciding on or finding more that I want :(

Olly88

In store! Was in a pile behind the glass not yet on display and I caught a bit of the logo. Took it as a sign!

In other news, the other half got me a SFC copy of Super Metroid for our anniversary :).

Nice! The branch near me has only ever had a copy of Pilotwings from what I've seen.

Also very nice! The SFC box is pretty damn cool. I'd like to get it but can't really justify buying two copies of the same game at the moment when I've got so many others that I want.

Morfeo

Nice, that sounds like a pretty good deal.

I'm not sure where the stupidly expensive line starts, but I'm always deciding on or finding more that I want :(

Thats...thats a damn good deal!

Yeah I was pretty lucky I guess, thanks! Awesome, but hard game!

Played some more Ys III today, holy shit this game is brutal in the start. Probably had to try that second boss (the guy with lightening) around 100 times before finally beating it. At least the gameplay is really quick and you can save anywhere, so there isnt really any drawback to just trying over and over.

Mr. Virus

Nice! The branch near me has only ever had a copy of Pilotwings from what I've seen.

Also very nice! The SFC box is pretty damn cool. I'd like to get it but can't really justify buying two copies of the same game at the moment when I've got so many others that I want.

Might be worth keeping an eye out then! I'm guessing that their website doesn't get updated too often when they've got things like UN Squadron for £10 and Terranigma for £40 (but always out of stock).

I'd love a CIB version of it but more than happy with just the cart ha ha. Just really like how SFC boxes look.

Beartruck

This weekend, a game store I frequent was having their big Halloween 20% off sale and they were selling some guy's collection, so there was a lot of awesome stuff there. They had a NeoGeo AES, a PC-FX, tons of great stuff. I was hunting for SNES though, so I managed to get there right as they opened, grabbed a copy of Skyblazer, Cybernator, and Final Fight 2 and peaced out because it was too crazy in there. The Final Fight 2 is actually a birthday gift for a friend of mine who's been hunting for that game for forever, but the other two are all mine.

Speaking of which, Skyblazer is fantastic. The only thing I don't like about it is that you have a weird momentum that carries you. Like, your character will be running, then he'll stop to punch an enemy, then he'll move again a tiny bit after the punch animation finishes because now he's back in his slow down animation. The jitteryness of it throws you off until you get used to it and I would frequently go to punch an enemy only to slide into them in between punches, taking damage. Luckily, the game's very forgiving, so it's not too bad.

Olly88

This came today

I went from not having any thoughts about getting either, to having both in under a couple of months. So that's nice.

Might be worth keeping an eye out then! I'm guessing that their website doesn't get updated too often when they've got things like UN Squadron for £10 and Terranigma for £40 (but always out of stock).

I'd love a CIB version of it but more than happy with just the cart ha ha. Just really like how SFC boxes look.
Yeah I'll definitely keep a look out, just one place to buy SNES games from in the wild would be great.

Top Bottom