• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Played and completed Final Fight 3 on normal with fellow gaffer Roboleon today. Looked and sounded great, but the gameplay was a bit too shallow, even for a beatemup. Especially considering this was basically the first time I tried out the game, and we beat it at the first try, not even having to discover some of the finer details of the game, like how the Super worked. Still enjoyably as a two-player game though, since the pretty shallow nature of it let us catch up and talk a bit as well as play. But compared to greater games in the genre, it was nothing special unfortunately, and definitely not deserving its price tag.

NDPsycho

Played and completed Final Fight 3 on normal with fellow gaffer Roboleon today. Looked and sounded great, but the gameplay was a bit too shallow, even for a beatemup. Especially considering this was basically the first time I tried out the game, and we beat it at the first try, not even having to discover some of the finer details of the game, like how the Super worked. Still enjoyably as a two-player game though, since the pretty shallow nature of it let us catch up and talk a bit as well as play. But compared to greater games in the genre, it was nothing special unfortunately, and definitely not deserving its price tag.

I really enjoyed it myself. I think it's pretty cool to have a cpu partner if you can't find someone to play it with you. I also liked that there were alternate paths through the levels. I agree it wasn't all that difficult, but I also enjoy games that aren't sometimes. I like to just veg out and feel bad ass even when I'm not :)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I really enjoyed it myself. I think it's pretty cool to have a cpu partner if you can't find someone to play it with you. I also liked that there were alternate paths through the levels. I agree it wasn't all that difficult, but I also enjoy games that aren't sometimes. I like to just veg out and feel bad ass even when I'm not :)

I guess I didnt comment on those two features since I didnt really use them, being my first time through and all. Definitely agree they are both cool though, and makes me want to replay it with alternate routes.

On the other hand, I progressed through the second dungeon in Wanderers from Ys. Man this game is brutal. Have anybody played it before? Just beat the dragon, and while his move set wasnt that hard to pin down, it just took fucking forever to beat him with hom much damage he could take - which of course makes it hard to keep up concentration and thus avoid getting hit. I can see why not many people talk about this game in the same regard as Book 1&2.

Mr. Virus

This came today

I went from not having any thoughts about getting either, to having both in under a couple of months. So that's nice.

Yeah I'll definitely keep a look out, just one place to buy SNES games from in the wild would be great.

Nice. Been looking to grab Super Turrican but usually priced beyond what I'm willing to go. Hoping I can snag it at some point!

Beartruck

Remembering why I originally put down Cybernator. Level 2 is a fricking nightmare. The first half where it auto scrolls you just eat damage because you can't use your shield, and the boss just smacks you with tons of asteroids which, again, can't be shielded and move through the environment. Ill keep crackin away at it but jeez.

me0wish

Remembering why I originally put down Cybernator. Level 2 is a fricking nightmare. The first half where it auto scrolls you just eat damage because you can't use your shield, and the boss just smacks you with tons of asteroids which, again, can't be shielded and move through the environment. Ill keep crackin away at it but jeez.

Try upgrading the punch, and focus on evasion instead of on combat in the second level.

This is how I finished it years ago, it's easier than it looks. It's worth the effort as the game keeps getting better with every level.

RexRogers

Neo Member
What's this....?

20161101_174012.jpg

20161101_174039.jpg

20161101_174053.jpg

Beartruck

Try upgrading the punch, and focus on evasion instead of on combat in the second level.

This is how I finished it years ago, it's easier than it looks. It's worth the effort as the game keeps getting better with every level.
You weren't kidding, the later levels are great. Followed your tips, beat the second, and sailed clean through to the 6th level. Stuck on that now, but I'll get through it.

D.Lo

Clear level 1 without shooting anything except the boss. Trust me ;)

IrishNinja

AFAIK the only fan translated game that works on SD2SNES but not the Everdrive is Star Ocean.

Theoretically the SD2SNES should run a lot more games, but at the moment there are a very limited number of special in-cartridge chips implemented for the SD2SNES FPGA. In the future there could be a Far East of Eden Zero translation released, but the SPC7110 that game used still hasn't been implemented for SD2SNES. Progress seems very slow too.

IMO it's not really worth the extra cost.

Edit: Here is a list of notable games the SD2SNES is currently compatible with that the Super Everdrive, with the DSP add-on, is not:

Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Star Ocean (via a patch to decompress it and avoid needing the SDD-1)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (same as above)

That's it.

Maybe in the future the SuperFX or SA-1 chip will be implemented, but I wouldn't count on it.

yeah, my experience with my Super Everdrive 2 has been great so far - i've got MMX 2 & 3, so i'm good! didn't get the DSP chip but i have Mario Kart & such, and FX games like Star Fox, Yoshi's Island, bum-ass Stunt Racer FX etc. for me, the biggest draw for an SD2SNES is the instant loading times i enjoy with my mega everdrive...the wait isn't too bad on this model, but if its longer i go get more whiskey, haha.

though some of the crazy stuff posted on here was neat, like orchestral sounding music in LTTP etc. honestly, i play a lot of SNES but i didn't see the $100 difference between the two like i did/do with the Mega ED & the lower model.

TeaJay

When I was buying flashcarts, I got the best ones I could, so there won't be any regrets later on should there be updates. I haven't regretted it one bit since some of the MSU-1 patches are friggin' awesome, like the Zelda LTTP and Super Metroid ones. Plus the automatic region patching makes things easier for me running a PAL SNES with a 50/60hz switch. And the Megaman X2/X3 + DSP-1 support. Instant loading times are a bonus.

It's convenience to the maximum, worth the one-time extra 100 € cost (which I would've ended up spending on something frivolous anyway)

-KRS-

When I was buying flashcarts, I got the best ones I could, so there won't be any regrets later on should there be updates. I haven't regretted it one bit since some of the MSU-1 patches are friggin' awesome, like the Zelda LTTP and Super Metroid ones. Plus the automatic region patching makes things easier for me running a PAL SNES with a 50/60hz switch. And the Megaman X2/X3 + DSP-1 support. Instant loading times are a bonus.

It's convenience to the maximum, worth the one-time extra 100 € cost (which I would've ended up spending on something frivolous anyway)

Likewise, I haven't exactly regretted my SD2SNES purchase. Having said that though, I'd probably be happy with a Super Everdrive as well. It's not like I use the extra features of the SD2SNES all that often really. Though after having tried my friend's Super Everdrive, the load times were noticeable. Like wow I didn't know how good I had it with the SD2SNES in regards to that. But really, it's a minor inconvenience.

Did not know about the lack of region auto-patching on the ED though.

IrishNinja

yeah, region-switching isn't an issue out here...me, i put that extra $100 towards the other everdrives i have (N64, N8, etc). again though, if the SD2 would've offered savestates or something extra like the Mega ED does, i'dve been all over it.

that said, Mega's savestates aren't perfect, and i still wanna try that Nanitek Game Saver one day. there's so many games i'd likely finish if i had more than 1 sitting with them, haha.

IrishNinja

wait, post a pic - '91 teenage design can be fun, haha

i mean, all my everdrives just have a simple DOS looking OS, with the exception of the N64 one

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
No I just want it to not look like a Vanilla Ice single cover.

It is era appropriate lol

wait, post a pic - '91 teenage design can be fun, haha

i mean, all my everdrives just have a simple DOS looking OS, with the exception of the N64 one

hqdefault.jpg

Now that I look closely at it... I don't think it's that bad. It's just graffiti.

But yeah I'd go in a different direction, myself. SNES' core image isn't street. It's friendly early 90s Japanese edutainment. I want something that looks like the UI theme of Pilotwings or Mario Paint...

-KRS-

I think the sd2snes ui is really nice in itself. It's just the logo that's kinda lame. Would be great if you were allowed to change that part.

me0wish

You weren't kidding, the later levels are great. Followed your tips, beat the second, and sailed clean through to the 6th level. Stuck on that now, but I'll get through it.

Glad to see that you're enjoying it :D
Also make sure not to skip the laser weapon on the fifth level, upgrading it will help you a lot.

Olly88

Today's arrival

Shame about the rip on the front, but it was pretty cheap so I'm not going to be too picky. I played the first level and I like it so far. Definitely seems more like my kind of shooter, not so hectic and crazy as others I've played/seen. Also it's super colourful which I love.

On the other hand, I progressed through the second dungeon in Wanderers from Ys. Man this game is brutal. Have anybody played it before? Just beat the dragon, and while his move set wasnt that hard to pin down, it just took fucking forever to beat him with hom much damage he could take - which of course makes it hard to keep up concentration and thus avoid getting hit. I can see why not many people talk about this game in the same regard as Book 1&2.
Ys III? Just grind. That's the solution to all problems in that game, grind some more. It's a short game, but yeah, I lost interest in it after a while too...

I've never been a Final Fight fan, so yeah, this is about right. Final Fight 3 is actually my favorite game in the series, because it has the best gameplay of the three by a good margin (that they added special moves, etc.), but it's hardly great. While I like beat 'em ups, and love games like TMNT beat 'em ups, Golden Axe, or Streets of Rage, I've never found the Final Fight games, or the similar Knights of the Round, to be as good. They're just kind of bland, with average gameplay and really boring level designs which are nearly exclusively straight left-to-right corridors. Final Fight 3 is a little better in this respect than its predecessors, but it's still weak level design-wise compared to most Sega beat 'em ups, or, to mention Capcom's best beat 'em ups, their two D&D games. I like beat 'em ups to be more creative with their levels than you see in the Final Fight and Knights of the Round games; the interesting levels is one of the reasons I love Golden Axe and TMNT III for example.

And yeah, while Capcom has some tougher beat 'em ups, Final Fights 2 and 3 are a bit on the easy side, that is true. It didn't take long for me to beat either of them, after getting them in the mid/late '00s. Still, they're alright games. If they were cheap, sure, I'd say go pick them up if you like the genre... but for the absolutely insane prices the third game goes for now, no way is it worth it. I'm really lucky to have found a super-cheap complete copy of the third game back in the mid '00s... otherwise I'd never own it.

Yeah, the space levels in the Assault Suits series are the hardest levels in those games for sure, and probably are the least fun stages too. You'd think a free-flight space level would be good, but instead they're less fun than the rest of the games...

They are very good games for the most part, but I'm not so sure about the space levels. Still, all three Assault Suits action games are great. (The other two are for Genesis and JP Saturn, of course.)

AmyS

Here's two Super Famicom previews from EGM's International Outlook.

issue #30 January 1992.

zdiAPlW.jpg

nGga8Gh.jpg

More coming, later today.

eAPk8Vu.jpg

Hx2sTXb.jpg

Dquv0ea.jpg

r38WW7I.jpg

F4bQYTC.jpg

mdyijPU.jpg

Also, re-posting Cheerilee's scan of SFC Final Fantasy V from Super NES Buyer's Guide.

SXzUJDD.jpg

Edit: SFC previews from EGM #31 Feb. 1992

hxbtEyL.jpg

7AMrxHT.jpg

zBrDMQJ.jpg

fTsaZXn.jpg

6GNUbaT.jpg

AmyS

Stealth looked interesting, was that ever released?

Yes, Stealth was released on the Super Famicom in Japan only.

Stealth (ステルス Suterusu?) is a Japan-exclusive video game released for the Super Famicom on December 18, 1992 by Hect.

In Stealth, the player takes control of a squad of six U.S. Army soldiers in Vietnam during the Vietnam War. Gameplay is turn-based on a platoon's level,[5] each squad member has the option to move, attack, wait, and in the case of the radio operator call in air or artillery support.

The majority of the enemy Viet Cong troops hide in the jungles and appear on the computers turn to shoot at one of your characters if they are in range. Objectives that are given out in each level are to travel to a designated site and destroy a number of missiles guarded by a few visible and fortified Viet Cong soldiers. Viet Cong soldiers wear the same uniform in the game as they did in real life. Their outfit consists of a floppy jungle hat, rubber sandals, and green fatigues without insignia. This was to make them virtually blend in with the civilian population that happened to live in the villages (many of them were affected by the Vietnam War in a negative way).

Each weapon has a different range (for its ammunition) and different a weight value (for the person who is carrying it).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stealth_(video_game)

gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm3JK517Abc

Top Bottom