• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Watched a bit of the video, seems like you play americans killing civilian rice farmers in Vietnam, definitely not something for me, but thanks AmyS!

AmyS

Watched a bit of the video, seems like you play americans killing civilian rice farmers in Vietnam, definitely not something for me, but thanks AmyS!

Yeah. There's a ton of 16bit-era games across all platforms that just go under the radar, even if they actually go released.

Morfeo

Completed this:

f3Z8tWfr.jpg

Pretty good game!

D.Lo

Not as bad as those western developed WW2 games (Medal of Honor Pacific I think?) that were released in Japan where you played as American soldiers killing Japanese... Maybe you should have thought about that first, dear publishers...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Not as bad as those western developed WW2 games (Medal of Honor Pacific I think?) that were released in Japan where you played as American soldiers killing Japanese... Maybe you should have thought about that first, dear publishers...
1942 did it first!

Morfeo

This is going very off topic, but I agree that a big part of the gaming industry is pretty tasteless in this regard with its constant focus on killing evil asians/blacks/arabs/russians. Still, there is imo a big difference between the legitimacy of fighting ww2 and the Vietnam war, in the first the US and allies fought an ideology that basically says that people are unequal and that the least worthy needs to be killed off, while their japanese allies also had some less than humanist motives for their expansion, although it can probably be likened to their adversaries own imperialist ambitions in the area in the (at least) 100 years leading up to the war. There is also the thing about this being a war between big powers on both sides, and Nazi-Germany/Japan starting it all.

Now in Vietnam, this war is basically the symbol of western imperialism in the cold war era. A poor, backward country, colonized and exploited by western powers (France), is fighting for independence when the biggest military power in the world decided to get involved. And the way they do it is just atrocious for both the land and its civilians.

At least to me, there is a border somewhere between these conflicts, that make killing soldiers in ww2 something i can accept if the game is really good (i guess my favorite series from the war is the Commandos-series of PC action/tactics-games), but killing civilian rice planters in Vietnam (as the video seems to depict) way too much no matter the quality of the game design behind it.

And again, sorry for this very off topic post.

D.Lo

Fair enough! I wasn't getting political about the games, just talking about, as you mentioned, the tasteless factor of selling a game in a country where your grandad is the bad guy. Germany banned many WW2 games for many years and still bans all mentions of Nazis in games, I believe, for example.

From an 80s perspective, I think the prevailing narrative on the Vietnam war for the US and allies was as a proxy for stopping Soviet dominance. Doesn't speak to the unnecessary suffering of an innocent country and people but through that cultural lens it makes more sense to glorify your 'side' in that war.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Full details on the prerelease Chrono Trigger here: https://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Prerelease_Cartridge_(CTP).html

This is the actual cartridge probably released to professional game reviewers and magazines. It contained three savegames that allowed further exploration beyond programmed stop points. Additionally, once one plays the organ at the Cathedral, exits the Guardia Dungeon, goes throught the time warp at Proto Dome, or touches the savepoint that appears after defeating Slash and Flea in Magus' castle an ending forecasting the final release of Chrono Trigger plays.

Morfeo

Fair enough! I wasn't getting political about the games, just talking about, as you mentioned, the tasteless factor of selling a game in a country where your grandad is the bad guy. Germany banned many WW2 games for many years and still bans all mentions of Nazis in games, I believe, for example.

From an 80s perspective, I think the prevailing narrative on the Vietnam war for the US and allies was as a proxy for stopping Soviet dominance. Doesn't speak to the unnecessary suffering of an innocent country and people but through that cultural lens it makes more sense to glorify your 'side' in that war.

Yeah, seems like we pretty much agree on this!

Olly88

I'm tempted to get Final Fantasy III (VI), there's just the small problem of not liking turn based RPGs (beside Pokemon) or story driven games. I still really want it though, I just feel like being a SNES guy it's one those games I should have, and who knows maybe I'll end up loving it.

Maybe the best idea is to come back to it when there's not much else left that I want.

Gozert

I'm tempted to get Final Fantasy III (VI), there's just the small problem of not liking turn based RPGs (beside Pokemon) or story driven games. I still really want it though, I just feel like being a SNES guy it's one those games I should have, and who knows maybe I'll end up loving it.

Maybe the best idea is to come back to it when there's not much else left that I want.

It's one of the more iconic SNES games for sure, but if you don't collect for the sake of collecting there is not much use in getting it if you don't like the genre and emphasis on story. I personally love the game, but perhaps in your case the money is better spent on other games.

really great game!

dubc35

Super SW is a good game. I need to spend more time with it...which I might when my nephew is here for Thanksgiving next week. He's a huge SW fan; would be funny to see a 7 y/o SW fan see a retro SW game, lol.

Morfeo

I beaten them...yeah they are hard but fun still. No death would be difficult for me though.

Wow really, that must have taken a ton of practice. They are so cheap too, which makes it worse. Still fun for sure though.

Timu

Wow really, that much have taken a ton of practice. They are so cheap too, which makes it worse. Still fun for sure though.
I wish I can no death them, it would take me a long time. These games just get so brutal. If I do Jedi Master then the chances are even lower to do that.

I guess I like the Super Star Wars games, but with reservations; the level designs are sometimes too confusing and annoying to navigate for their own good, and some of the vehicle stages, such as the way too hard side-scrolling flying and Mode 7 walker battle section on Hoth in Super ESB or the kind of awful (from a gameplay perspective) Death Star II sequences in Super RotJ... ugh.

(For anyone who wants to play an easier Super Star Wars game, try the Game Boy / Game Gear version of Super Return of the Jedi. It's the only SSW game with a handheld adaptation, and it holds up pretty well. Force powers and a bunch of the levels are gone, but what remains is fun while it lasts. I like the top-down Death Star II sequences in this game more than the Mode 7 ones in the SNES game too, from a gameplay perspective.)

Morfeo

Just played a few levels of Super Turrican, and I dont know, is it me, or is the level design in this game just kinda boring? Feels very much like a euro-plattformer of the time with neat stuff, but no real thought put into the layout at all. What is the consensus here?

Timu

Just played a few levels of Super Turrican, and I dont know, is it me, or is the level design in this game just kinda boring? Feels very much like a euro-plattformer of the time with neat stuff, but no real thought put into the layout at all. What is the consensus here?
I beaten it on Hard, it's a decent game IMO. May not be anywhere near the best Turrican game, but not really awful or anything, just ok.

Olly88

I've played the first 3-ish levels and I enjoyed it a lot. I think I'll prefer it to the second, but I haven't played enough of either to say that yet.

One of the reasons why I prefer the Contra-like design of Super Turrican 2

I think Super Empire Strikes Back has to be the most maddening game on the system. I just absolutely hate that style of game design, where shit is constantly crashing into your face. Reminds me of the Wizards and Warriors games. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

I think Super Empire Strikes Back has to be the most maddening game on the system. I just absolutely hate that style of game design, where shit is constantly crashing into your face. Reminds me of the Wizards and Warriors games. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

shoot! and i'm looking to play that game too =P (i have it but haven't opened it)

sugarless

Picked up this really great condition copy of Super Famicom SimCity including box, manual and quick control sheet for just 250 yen (£1.80/$2.25) at a BookOff in Osaka last week! The music and 16-bit cityscape title screen have been worth it so far!

Olly88

Picked up this really great condition copy of Super Famicom SimCity including box, manual and quick control sheet for just 250 yen (£1.80/$2.25) at a BookOff in Osaka last week! The music and 16-bit cityscape title screen have been worth it so far!

Nice, that price is crazy :p I got a SFC copy last year assuming I could do some stuff without being able to read Japanese. I was wrong.

Today's new addition is Indiana Jones

I don't think it's ever been played, or even opened more than once by the looks of it.

alf717

This has always been my favorite Sim City I could never get into future versions of the game. Bowser as Godzilla and the coveted Mario Statue are nice touches. I enjoy the simplicity of the SNES version. Every now and then I go back and try for a Megalopolis which to this day I could never create. I always get super close. The scenario sections in the game are fun to go through as well. I must admit I always use the money trick to try and build a perfect city. Even the debug features are neat to play with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPcP8MRh8r4

sugarless

This has always been my favorite Sim City I could never get into future versions of the game. Bowser as Godzilla and the coveted Mario Statue are nice touches. I enjoy the simplicity of the SNES version. Every now and then I go back and try for a Megalopolis which to this day I could never create. I always get super close. The scenario sections in the game are fun to go through as well. I must admit I always use the money trick to try and build a perfect city. Even the debug features are neat to play with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPcP8MRh8r4

Wow I never knew about the debug menu, will be trying that out. Agreed that this is a great version of the game, I found other later ones just too complex. Nintendo's input really made this one a gem.

alf717

I was gonna mention 2000 in my post but I didn't want to ramble on. 2000 was the next game I played after the SNES version and it just didn't click for me.

RexRogers

Neo Member
SimCity is easily one of the most common SNES games of there. Ranks up there with Caesars Palace, Vegas Stakes, and that generic football game.

Gozert

I've always found SimCity for the SNES to be one of the best versions of the original, if the not the best version. SimCity 2000 on the SNES however, I'd rank as one of the worst versions of that game.

Top Bottom