• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

GulAtiCa

Nice collection. Damn, these threads are really dangerous for my wallet. Everytime I see someone with a huge collection, it makes me want to buy more games to complete mine some more. lol

Linkhero1

I know what you mean lol.

I still have quite a few games left before I can stop collecting. Mainly Demon's Crest, Sunset Riders, and Wild Guns :(

Teknoman

This is another one that is way cheaper for the SFC version. I got a copy for 500yen last year. Worth looking for that version if you have a SFC or want to mod the cart.

Yeah SFC is the way to go for Sparkster. Everything is in english too. Everything necessary anyway.

lol finally figured out how to record CRT: Turn off steady shot. Screws up something with the camera framerate. I might try to join the club and put up a sparkster video later today.

Just make sure the games aren't in bright sunlight with the labels out like that. Will make the labels fade out. One of the best reasons to buy a bunch of cases.

Linkhero1

Just make sure the games aren't in bright sunlight with the labels out like that. Will make the labels fade out. One of the best reasons to buy a bunch of cases.

I'm planning on making custom cases for all my SNES games. I just don't have the money at the moment after spending most of it on SNES games. At the moment they're facing away from the only window in the room so it's good.

Christ, I'm eating lunch here ..... :/ :eek:===

I feel sick now lol.

I hit up a couple game shops this weekend while on vacation and man, the N64/SNES/Genesis stuff was pretty much all sports games. Was a little disappointed. Hardly anything in box either. Picked up a few things but was hoping for a better selection. I guess the good stuff gets picked pretty quickly.

AdamMPSP

Years ago I bought a barely used SNES (the newer sexier model) and just threw it in a box at my parents' house. This christmas I dug it out and brought it home. Really excited to set it up in my bedroom at an old tv and just have a nice classic gaming station.

Unfortunately, I gave away all of my old games to family back in the day (boxes and everything), so I've got to rebuild my library. I wish things were cheaper!

Okay, finally time to post my collection so far. I'll put my photos into groups of sorts (images incoming):

zWjLq3b.jpg

I won the SNES with DKC3 and (I think) Super Mario World. It came with one Asciipad and the official SNES controller. I liked the Asciipad so much I bought another on eBay!

69YmcJX.jpg

The first lot of games I won, all the following have manuals (no boxes):

46Dlh9z.jpg

oQTHjJf.jpg

jRI27tJ.jpg

Final Fight also has the manual.

Other wins: (Wild Guns, Pitfall and All-Stars/Mario World were liberated by my girlfriend whose family had them captive)

9DA0eiv.jpg

kY0GWoy.jpg

5iGbCMi.jpg

Latest win:
n2PiFc0.jpg

Chrono Trigger has all the original docs. I had that and Kirby Super Star for many many years before actually owning a SNES. I'm so hyped that I finally have EarthBound! I want to get at least the Player's Guide to accompany it. I wouldn't mind some more boxes as well. Overall I'm really pleased with my collection so far. A lot of nice condition carts. That first lot I won had some amazing games. I really want Super Metroid and the Mega Man games. I already have most of what I want.

Not pictured: some dupes, I might sell them later on.

Looking back, I'm wondering if this EB cart I have is legit. Hmm. I should open it up...
Edit: I'm pretty sure this is a reproduction cart, looking at the sticker alone. Oh well.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
RetroGameCave should do those Plastic Covers for SNES Cartridges, just like they do Foam padding for NES games.

They would make A FORTUNE. Does anybody know of any store that provides them? Some Famicon-curved ones would be amazing too.

On another note, I'm so sad that most of my SNES Game Boxes didn't withstand time. I think I threw most of them away and only Super Mario Kart survived - However, I didn't have that many to begin with.

Rezae

Gonna order a case of those plastic media cases soon, and I have a major first-world problem: Do I reprint original horizontal box art for nostalgia, or do I print the more practical custom vertical oriented boxarts from Thecoverproject website. Choices...

Gonna order a case of those plastic media cases soon, and I have a major first-world problem: Do I reprint original horizontal box art for nostalgia, or do I print the more practical custom vertical oriented boxarts from Thecoverproject website. Choices...

I was thinking the same thing. You know you're going to get halfway done and decide you wanted the other one.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

I'd say it all depends on your personal opinion. However, do you have any original boxes? If you do, I'd keep the collection properly oriented, and would print the original art.

Also, I hope you're not replacing your original boxes with the plastic ones, and just making boxes for your loose games. :D

beanman25

This thread has made me want to clean my games and such. My Earthbound cart was bought from blockbuster many moons ago and has a bunch of sticker stuff on the side. What is the best way to remove it?

Parallacs

This thread has made me want to clean my games and such. My Earthbound cart was bought from blockbuster many moons ago and has a bunch of sticker stuff on the side. What is the best way to remove it?

I use Goo Gone for stickers and stickyness. I never risk rubbing it directly on labels though. I would probably use very small amounts of goo-gone if that happened or use some sort of scraping tool.

I use plastic-x for plastic scratches. It takes a lot of arm work but you can completely remove a scratch.

I use rubbing alcohol and NES cleaning paste (linked somewhere above) on the contacts.

NEVER, EVER use acetone. A drop of that stuff will completely remove the color from a label haha.

I hit up a couple game shops this weekend while on vacation and man, the N64/SNES/Genesis stuff was pretty much all sports games. Was a little disappointed. Hardly anything in box either. Picked up a few things but was hoping for a better selection. I guess the good stuff gets picked pretty quickly.

Unfortunately there is a ton of demand for retro games now. Finding good deals in thrift/pawn shops is going to be tough. Yard sales and flee markets are your best bet.

And surprisingly looking for Buy it now auctions on ebay. I have gotten a ton of great deals on there from the comfort of my home.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
So you were the one who just did the buy it now for Power Rangers The Movie game for $23.99!?

Haha.

I was debating whether to get it or not and sure enough I just check and it' gone :(

NO! Not me... it's on my watch list for the end of the month where I splurge the little I have left on gems like that :(

This thread was responsible for me getting Tournament Fighters, Turtles in Time and Super Metroid recently, though.

Stupid thread.

Bungie's

I posted this on some other forum, I thought I'll post it here as well. Some guy on Craigslist is selling a few RPGs but I'm really not sure how much I should pay for the lot. He told me he got them from storage units. I'm just not sure how much I should pay or if they're legit.

"This is a very nice lot of some nice rare games. The lot consists of a Brand new never opened Final Fantasy 7 , Final Fantasy 8(just 4discs), Final Fantasy 9(Black label), Final Fantasy X-2, Vagrant Story(Just disc), Grandia(Complete), Mario RPG, E.VO. Search for Eden, Lunar Silver Star Story(Complete in box), Guardian Heroes(disc only), legend of Dragoon(complete), that's it for now, I think. Best offer takes them, I know what they're worth, so don't lowball me. This is a great bundle, some games worth over $100 easy. For more info text Thanks. All pics there except for Final Fantasy x-2 and Legend of Dragoon
P.S Final Fantasy 7, never been touched in it's protective cover(pic was just saved from Pc)"

Rezae

Also, I hope you're not replacing your original boxes with the plastic ones, and just making boxes for your loose games. :D

I'm throwing all that useless cardboard away!

J/k

I'm just buying loose carts. I can't imagine paying the premium that CIB games go for. I'd rather use that money for more games and just make my own practical cases to store them.

Parallacs

Thanks.

I can't make up my mind on Ninja Gaiden Trilogy. On one hand, I own all the games on NES, but on the other hand, the game has been rare for years.

I worry that it is one of those games that could crash in value or soar. I remember it being worth over a hundred a few years back

But with X3 in the mail, I'm going to pass on games for a while.

NO! Not me... it's on my watch list for the end of the month where I splurge the little I have left on gems like that :(

This thread was responsible for me getting Tournament Fighters, Turtles in Time and Super Metroid recently, though.

Stupid thread.

Ha, well I would rather a gaffer get it than someone else haha.

Yea, even though my collection is pretty much complete, there are still a few games I need and was rather content in waiting.

Of course this thread has changed all that haha.

Teknoman

I was thinking the same thing. You know you're going to get halfway done and decide you wanted the other one.

I'd say it all depends on your personal opinion. However, do you have any original boxes? If you do, I'd keep the collection properly oriented, and would print the original art.

I say just do which ever looks the best for that game. Some custom covers, super famicom image switches, may look better than the original...and some vertical cases look great while others just look too busy.

Mzo

Thanks.

I can't make up my mind on Ninja Gaiden Trilogy. On one hand, I own all the games on NES, but on the other hand, the game has been rare for years.

I worry that it is one of those games that could crash in value or soar. I remember it being worth over a hundred a few years back

But with X3 in the mail, I'm going to pass on games for a while.

If it helps it's not that good. I far prefer the originals to it. The button layout was annoying, too IIRC.

Lent it out in college and never saw it again. This was before anyone cared about it.

Parallacs

If it helps it's not that good. I far prefer the originals to it. The button layout was annoying, too IIRC.

Lent it out in college and never saw it again. This was before anyone cared about it.

Thanks. I think I'm more of a game player than collector so I probably wouldn't be happy getting NGT.

I'm just glad most of the expensive SNES games are also the best games, unlike the NES or Virtual Boy.

OreoKraickerz

Neo Member
I've been lurking in this thread for a few weeks and you guys have stoked the flames of my inner collector. Managed to snag a copy of Lufia 2 this morning. Pretty excited to give it a shot as I've never played it. I love roguelikes and heard there's a roguelike "embedded" in it. Sounds like a great RPG as well.

Here is my collection:

TMOF9cE.jpg

3LPM2ky.jpg

zt1IW9Z.jpg

3Sx35rV.jpg

..and the crown jewel:

pYBkDs6.jpg

I actually built most of this collection about 6 years ago when prices were still pretty reasonable. Chrono Trigger did set me back a pretty penny when I bought it, but I actually saw a loose cartridge this morning for $10 less than what I paid for the CIB copy.

I also picked up a 32" Sony Trinitron Wega (4:3 non HD) for free this weekend. Patiently awaiting my RGB SCART cables and SCART->YUV converter for retro gaming goodness.

inner-G

Banned
Traded 4 of my $1 PS2 games from the pawn shop for ~$20 in credit at the local shop and picked up a dozen other cheap SNES carts!

Today's total haul (SNES-wise):
LkHyOXy.jpg

Picking this up for $100 in like twenty minutes! Too bad I already have all the games, but I can always just sell the ones with worse labels. I'm just happy to finally have a replacement for my pice of shit snes I've been using for so long.
3E43Ib3N45I55Ef5Kdd2i1a782bb489a31d65.jpg

Just picked it all up....Every game came with a booklet in perfect condition, including Mario RPG...Hell yes. That with the game alone is worth like $100! He also threw in a DKC strategy guide.

I'm in heaven

Top Bottom