• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I'd never pay over $100 for Wild Guns. While the game looks great and is good fun it's just too short and really easy.

Being short is one of it's strong points imo. Makes it that much easier to pick up and play since you're pretty much guaranteed to finish it in one sitting. It's kind of like Turtles in Time in that regard.

ys45

Oh damn it , i really need to stop going on eBay .

Just bought Knights of the Round for 90$ :/
My wallet is crying .

In the last month or so, I bought the following (all are games I previously owned in the not so distant past, mind you): Tales of Destiny 2, Tales of Symphonia, Secret of Mana, Popful Mail, Magic Knight Rayearth, Dragon View, Lunar 1/2, Alundra, EVO, Earthbound... My wallet is dying.

My next targets (MMX2/X3 + Tales of Destiny) will have to wait.

-KRS-

I'm about to stab my right eye if I can't find Demon's Crest for a decent price. =/

Don't do that. You could sell your eye instead. Then you might be able to afford Demon's Crest. :D

Yup. That's what it takes to collect SNES games. Selling your body parts. Or at least that's where we seem to be heading.

ys45

In the last month or so, I bought the following (all are games I previously owned in the not so distant past, mind you): Tales of Destiny 2, Tales of Symphonia, Secret of Mana, Popful Mail, Magic Knight Rayearth, Dragon View, Lunar 1/2, Alundra, EVO, Earthbound... My wallet is dying.

My next targets (MMX2/X3 + Tales of Destiny) will have to wait.

Since when Tales of Desitny 2 (Eternia) on Psone is worth that much ?
Funny because i actually have this game complete in MINT condition .

Maybe i should do some price check on my psone games just for fun .

I sold my complete/mint TOD2/Eternia for $85 in January 2012; the one I just got was $91 (auction though). Not too bad. Now Popful Mail/Magic Knight Rayearth, that's another story... :(

Bottom line: you pay a premium for (near) mint copies. I'm somewhat fine with that. But like others have mentioned, I don't understand shelling a hundred+ for a (rare) game in pitiful cosmetic condition.

iso135

This thread has cost me a little bit of money. I didn't even have a functional SNES until reading this caused me to get my girlfriends old dusty SNES out of her basement.

So far I have purchased (all loose carts):

Donkey Kong Country - $14
Zombies Ate My Neighbors - $7
Link to the Past - $20
Yoshi's Island - $21

All in real nice condition except for YI which has some label scuff.

Peagles

Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore are up on my local auction site, and I'm kinda debating over whether to buy them.

Working out a basic conversion Evermore is about $85 USD and Mana is $140 USD...

I've never played either but Mana is one of my brother's favouritest games.

What to do...?

Linkhero1

Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore are up on my local auction site, and I'm kinda debating over whether to buy them.

Working out a basic conversion Evermore is about $85 USD and Mana is $140 USD...

I've never played either but Mana is one of my brother's favouritest games.

What to do...?

That seems a bit overpriced for both. You can get them both cheaper on eBay. I won Secret of Mana in great condition for about $36 two weeks ago.

Peagles

That seems a bit overpriced for both. You can get them both cheaper on eBay. I won Secret of Mana in great condition for about $36 two weeks ago.

They're both complete by the way, and PAL, if that makes a difference. I have a SFC and SNES so PAL/NTSC doesn't really matter to me.

But yeh if you can get Mana complete for under $50 I guess I'll skip them.

Linkhero1

They're both complete by the way, and PAL, if that makes a difference. I have a SFC and SNES so PAL/NTSC doesn't really matter to me.

But yeh if you can get Mana complete for under $50 I guess I'll skip them.

Oh. My Mana was loose and not complete. Sounds about the price they would go for complete these days. I'd still take a look at eBay. You might find something more reasonable.

I got mine for $32 last month, and I see several completed auctions in the low $30s. Anyways, even $50s would be cheap compared to those other items on your list. lol

I think at this point I might move on to picking up some repros and hope I can hop on a poorly researched BIN listing.

I hate being a collector. I really, really, really, really do.

I feel ya =/

In the past two days I have bought 65 super famicom games. I'd much rather have SNES games, but they are so damn cheap I cant help it. Plus, most of them I can end up playing in mostly english (the last two super famicom games I've been playing for example are R-type and Super Ghouls and Ghosts, both in english and both bought from Japan).

plc268

I got mine for $32 last month, and I see several completed auctions in the low $30s. Anyways, even $50s would be cheap compared to those other items on your list. lol

Before christmas, the going price for Mario RPG was definitely in the low $30s. Must've skyrocketed since then.

But we all know prices have went up quite a bit over the last few months, but here's what I payed on ebay back in october (shipping included).

Legend of Zelda Link to the Past - $16.50
Final Fantasy III - $29.49
Super Metroid - $23.60
Super Mario RPG - $35.50
DKC3 - $17.14
DKC2 - $11.10
DKC - $10.89
Starfox -$10.17
Kirby Superstar - $12.99

That was all in a span from mid october to early november. Save for a few where I got lucky, most of those were the going price at the time. To see how much it jumped for some titles is surprising.

Went through Bloomington today so decided to check out the Mega Replay there. They didn't have any big items, but I got a ton of smaller stuff:

BR484cv.jpg

King of Monsters
Ultraman
Shaq Fu
Empire Strikes Back
Stunt Race FX
Pupulous
Off Road: The Baja
Battleclash (now I need the super scope)
Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf
Lester the Unlikely
Robocop Vs. Terminator
Weapon Lod
Ikari Warriors (NES)
Three random sports games just to use the back as replacements for real games

All for $25. Not bad at all. Don't know what Weapon Lord is, but it has a cool sticker, so why not? They had a good amount of stuff, but nothing really worth owning. Had Link to the Past and Castlevania 4 for $25 each, but their labels weren't very good. Sorry for the shit picture, at a hotel so all I have is my phone.

Fox Mulder

Robocop vs terminator is cool, but i think the genesis version is better due to the gore and less of a focus on the comic storyline.

mrkgoo

I actually had a copy of earthbound, but it was one of those games that wouldn't work with my action replay 2 (needed it for PAL adapting import games).

So I returned it due illusion if time/Gaia.

Then I lost my whole snes collection in a burglary.

inner-G

Banned
Went through Bloomington today so decided to check out the Mega Replay there. They didn't have any big items, but I got a ton of smaller stuff:

BR484cv.jpg

King of Monsters
Ultraman
Shaq Fu
Empire Strikes Back
Stunt Race FX
Pupulous
Off Road: The Baja
Battleclash (now I need the super scope)
Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf
Lester the Unlikely
Robocop Vs. Terminator
Weapon Lod
Ikari Warriors (NES)
Three random sports games just to use the back as replacements for real games

All for $25. Not bad at all. Don't know what Weapon Lord is, but it has a cool sticker, so why not? They had a good amount of stuff, but nothing really worth owning. Had Link to the Past and Castlevania 4 for $25 each, but their labels weren't very good. Sorry for the shit picture, at a hotel so all I have is my phone.
That's my local store! Lol, I keep it picked pretty clean. They had a copy of Ninja Gaiden Trilogy a while back that got away though.

Thanks to a fellow gaffer through BST I just got in the mail Super Mario RPG and Smash Bros. for the N64 for $45.

I think I've spent more money on retro games these last two months than on new games in the last two years. It's been lots of fun though.

That's my local store! Lol, I keep it picked pretty clean. They had a copy of Ninja Gaiden Trilogy a while back that got away though.

Yeah, was my first time there. I just happened to be going through and decided to stop. I use to go through Bloomington like every couple weeks when I was living in Peoria, now I never really go there. They had some more SNES stuff behind the counter that hadn't been put on the shelves yet, so there may be some treasures there tomorrow. Quantity-wise they definitely had the most SNES/Genesis/Gameboy stuff I've seen between the four Disc/Mega Replays I've been to. Their NES selection sucked, though.

inner-G

Banned
Yeah, was my first time there. I just happened to be going through and decided to stop. I use to go through Bloomington like every couple weeks when I was living in Peoria, now I never really go there. They had some more SNES stuff behind the counter that hadn't been put on the shelves yet, so there may be some treasures there tomorrow. Quantity-wise they definitely had the most SNES/Genesis/Gameboy stuff I've seen between the four Disc/Mega Replays I've been to. Their NES selection sucked, though.
Pretty much. They have a ginormous PS2 section right now, and they started selling some like microwaves and fondue pots and crap, lol

What's a decent price to pay for a mint Link to the Past manual?

This guy had listed one and asked for offers.

I didn't want to go too low or too high. What do you guys think?

I have a very small collection of SNES games and will join in later on since I want to make a video of my SNES collection. (Doing a video of GB/C/A first though.) But I wanted to ask a question.

I have my old SNES and almost everything to make it work, but I have lost my AC Adapter. Amazon is my only option since I do not have a credit card, but I can only find third party ones that have horrible reviews. Is there just no official ac adapters on amazon? Searched everywhere and couldn't find one. Don't wanna buy a whole new system just for a ac adaper lol.

Pappasman

I just picked up Tetris Attack and when I started it up I got weird message.

Warning: It is a serious crime to copy video games according to copyright law. Please refer to your Nintendo game booklet for more information.

I restarted the game and its working fine now. Anybody know what this is about? Is it a pirated cart?

Linkhero1

I just picked up Tetris Attack and when I started it up I got weird message.

I restarted the game and its working fine now. Anybody know what this is about? Is it a pirated cart?

I had this occur with the Donkey Kong Country game that came with my SNES after years of playing it. I think it's caused because of a bad battery, but I'm not entirely sure.

I know that those anti-piracy things can come up if your cart isn't properly in the machine (so it could be a filthy cartridge connector etc.)

Rezae

I had the same issue with DKC2. Reinserted it and it was fine. I cleaned the connectors later which were pretty dirty.

Top Bottom