• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

-KRS-

I have a very small collection of SNES games and will join in later on since I want to make a video of my SNES collection. (Doing a video of GB/C/A first though.) But I wanted to ask a question.

I have my old SNES and almost everything to make it work, but I have lost my AC Adapter. Amazon is my only option since I do not have a credit card, but I can only find third party ones that have horrible reviews. Is there just no official ac adapters on amazon? Searched everywhere and couldn't find one. Don't wanna buy a whole new system just for a ac adaper lol.

I don't have a credit card either and I'm using ebay with paypal all the time. If you create a paypal account you can deposit money into it from your bank. At least in Sweden it's just like paying a regular bill using your internet bank. The bank account owner just needs to have the same name as the paypal account owner. So you can only deposit money from your own bank account, not a friends for example. Then it takes two days for the money to transfer to my paypal account. That's really the only negative about not having a CC and using paypal, that you have to wait a few days. It prevents me from joining in the bidding a lot on ebay. Oh and there's a limit to how much money you can handle in 1 year if you don't associate your paypal with a CC. But I've never reached that limit myself.

Anyone print cover arts for the universal game cases? I have a few random games I can't find covers for (probably because their crap). Anyone have any good sites or have covers for these:

dragon ball z
derby stallion II
F1 Grand Prix Part II
Soccer II
Pro Football
Garou Densetsu
Parlord R-5-!
Garou Densetsu Special
3D Ballz
Slam Dunk
Elfaria
Super Soccer
Excite Stage 94
Power League (2)
Super Formation Soccer

I use http://www.thecoverproject.net/ and their forums usually, but figured I'd see if you guys have anything!

Teenage Riot

Neo Member
I have a 19 inch HDTV that plays SNES games amazingly.

Which TV do you use? I'm looking at getting a new, small HDTV which would do well for retro gaming as well as watching TV.

Edit: Or anybody else have any recommendations on ~19-25 inch HDTVs which do well with vintage consoles?

Which TV do you use? I'm looking at getting a new, small HDTV which would do well for retro gaming as well as watching TV.

Edit: Or anybody else have any recommendations on ~19-25 inch HDTVs which do well with vintage consoles?

I'm not sure on 19-25 inch HDTV's, but plasmas are amazing for retro games.

Currently, I hook up most of my games using the front AV/S-video jacks and it looks almost as good as a CRT. My Turbo-grafx 16 games look out of this world. I can't recommend plasmas enough.

GulAtiCa

Has anyone played the game Zelda: Parallel Worlds? I'm curious to try it. My only issue with buying it, is there is no custom cover for it. So would look odd in my display case with no cover. lol

What's a good third party s-video cable for the SNES?

Look on eBay, that's where I got mine for $6. The SNES/N64/GC use the same port for A/V. So they are really really cheap.

How much would you pay for a copy of E.V.O?

Prices are just so insane for this game and I have a chance to buy a mint copy(cart only) for $170.

Usually I would say fuck that, but this game seems impossible to find for less than $150 nowadays right? (not counting some luck at a flea market/garage sale) and somehow I'm kind of justifying the price. Help, please!

Quackula

Perfect. Thanks, I found one!

Yeah, they're really paranoid about the idea that someone's gonna slap them with a C&D or something and get the site shut down, so they don't allow covers for repros, unreleased games, flash carts, etc on the site.

Why they think hosting covers for unreleased games will get them in more trouble than hosting covers for actual retail titles is beyond me, but that is what it is.

Credo

Prices are just so insane for this game and I have a chance to buy a mint copy(cart only) for $170.

Usually I would say fuck that, but this game seems impossible to find for less than $150 nowadays right? (not counting some luck at a flea market/garage sale) and somehow I'm kind of justifying the price. Help, please!

It's easy for me to say," Go for it," since it's not my money, but I think I might bite at that price. I've got the dreaded completionist gene, and it kills me to not get CIB or at least the instruction manual with a cart, but if it were me, I'd get the cart at $170. It's just not worth it to try to get that game in great condition CIB.

It's easy for me to say," Go for it," since it's not my money, but I think I might bite at that price. I've got the dreaded completionist gene, and it kills me to not get CIB or at least the instruction manual with a cart, but if it were me, I'd get the cart at $170. It's just not worth it to try to get that game in great condition CIB.

Thanks for the quick response...I think haha.

I'm so conflicted. So much to spend on a game, but I know it will keep going up.

Worst case scenario, I buy it, play it and sell it for a little bit more in the future, maybe.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I would say none of them work great for vintage consoles, unfortunately.

1. At that size its going to be LCD, which is not a great tech for old games. Tends to look overly pixelly, bad blacks, and has lag. But most importantly it has to scale the image up to an HD res, and that means it just looks like garbage (and adds more lag). You'd instantly know it if you saw it, it's not just a purist thing. It just looks bad.

2. Most new HDTVs don't have S-Video inputs anymore. That's fine for NES, but SNES you'll be using a bad quality cable into the TV.

If you're going budget, get an old school CRT at a thrift store. There are some awesome latter day flat screen ones that have S-Video and even Component input.

Or, if you're going all out, get a plasma, and pair it with a great scaler/RGB input device like the XRGB mini.

Asimov

Banned
I would say none of them work great for vintage consoles, unfortunately.

1. At that size its going to be LCD, which is not a great tech for old games. Tends to look overly pixelly, bad blacks, and has lag. But most importantly it has to scale the image up to an HD res, and that means it just looks like garbage (and adds more lag). You'd instantly know it if you saw it, it's not just a purist thing. It just looks bad.

2. Most new HDTVs don't have S-Video inputs anymore. That's fine for NES, but SNES you'll be using a bad quality cable into the TV.

If you're going budget, get an old school CRT at a thrift store. There are some awesome latter day flat screen ones that have S-Video and even Component input.

Or, if you're going all out, get a plasma, and pair it with a great scaler/RGB input device like the XRGB mini.

I would like to get one of those... but what are the advantages over getting an old CRT TV? The device is way more expensive.

So... it's just to save space?

BocoDragon

I would like to get one of those... but what are the advantages over getting an old CRT TV? The device is way more expensive.

So... it's just to save space?
Larger screen sizes, perfect screen geometry, and most importantly a flawless RGB input. Unless you live in PAL region (which is its own curse of slowed down games/borders on the screen), you can only use S-Video. But there's nothing like a crisp, perfect SNES image in RGB.

I huddled around an old school CRT for years, and it was fine, but there's nothing like gaming on a big 50" plasma with the picture perfection you always dreamed of (but not the one you typically get from an HD set).

BocoDragon

The output you get from an XRGB is actually pretty comparable to what you can get from a nice CRT RGB Monitor.

Here's some pics from a user on shmups.system11.org
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3361389/pics/xrgb/xrgbmini.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3361389/pics/xrgb/2730qm.jpg

One is the XRGB mini going through an HDTV, the other is a Sony PVM.

Pretty damn close if you ask me!

I looooooooove my xrgb
I loooove my Xrgb too ! :)

But yeah those Sony PVM CRTs are the other side of the picture perfect coin, if you don't go the Xrgb route...

GulAtiCa

Just bought 3 repros for $45 each. Not bad. And hey, if I don't like it, I could always resell it on eBay for $90. lol /evil
Anyways bought the following:

Legend of Zelda: Parallel Worlds (original harder version)
Legend of Zelda: Goddess of Wisdom
Super Mario World: Return to Dinosaur Land

Go for it. I see that a cart only copy just sold for $225 yesterday... Unlike Earthbound, this is a genuinely rare game and the word of mouth can only make it become more valuable over time. Weird to say, but $170 is a "great" price nowadays.

Regarding E.V.O., this is pure madness IMO: http://www.ebay.com/itm/evo-search-for-eden-snes-registration-card-extremely-rare-/251231172887?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7e8b7917&nma=true&si=vFEwxjdm2111ds0D%252FC7K37sMSCQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Mzo

Those repos are fan-made hacks/games right? I'm more interested in repos of games that never came out to NA.
I'm down for translated games that never made it over, played on the original hardware. That's awesome.

A hack of a real game some dude made, nah.

Quackula

I'm down for translated games that never made it over, played on the original hardware. That's awesome.

A hack of a real game some dude made, nah.

What about original homebrew games made from scratch? There's not much of note on the SNES, but there's a small scene of NES Developers putting out original games...

Anyone purchased the Ys 4: Mask of the Sun repro for Super Nintendo? Is it worth it? (For the record, I love Ys 1 & 2 (Virtual Console version) and Ys 3 (SNES version).)

I'm really thinking about getting that one along with Terranigma and Tales of Phantasia...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Right down the road from where I live, some dude apparently hosts big game sales on his front lawn filled with all sorts of retro content. I've talked to a few people and they said they found some really good shit. He's hosting one from 9AM-noon this Saturday. Gonna definitely check it out.

Just bought 3 repros for $45 each. Not bad. And hey, if I don't like it, I could always resell it on eBay for $90. lol /evil
Anyways bought the following:

Legend of Zelda: Parallel Worlds (original harder version)
Legend of Zelda: Goddess of Wisdom
Super Mario World: Return to Dinosaur Land

lol good luck.

What about original homebrew games made from scratch? There's not much of note on the SNES, but there's a small scene of NES Developers putting out original games...

I still have my Battle Kid & the Fortess of Peril cart sitting around here. My god that game is brutal. I really want to beat it sometime although I'm not even halfway yet.

Someone posted some very attractive BIN auctions for Lufia and Earthbound so the collection nears completion. My heart was pounding while trying to decide whether to buy Earthbound or not and researching as quick as possible before someone else bought it.

I was just thinking about how I played DKC2 last weekend and remembered that I bought this bit more than year ago:

4051269.jpg

Chinner

Banned
not bumping the GB/A thread but managed to get metriod fusion fully boxed and in good condition. will still have to test to make sure it's not fake but from the looks it's legit. got it a good price seeing as ive seen it've seen it sell on ebay for 10 pounds higher

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Man, some of the games I am after (sans Wild Guns, still too rich for my blood at this time) are kinda expensive :(

Final Fight Tough is fucking ridiculous money. Was bidding on a complete Zombies Ate My Neighbours but that got out of hand... fast... so I stopped.

I need to unsubscribe from this thread. And also actually dig out my collection again. All I have to hand is recent purchases and I want to play Ninja Warriors Again again.

GloveSlap

Man, I sold my collection way too early back around 2005. The Wii Virtual Console made me nervous and I thought the prices were going to go down. Some of the stuff I sold back then would make people cry at the sight of it these days. Earthbound brand new unopened type of stuff.

This stuff was everywhere at flea markets when I did the bulk of my collecting back in the late 90s/early 00s. It truly was the golden age. It was just me and one other guy that competed for classic games at my flea market then. Now if you go, there isn't much to find and there are a ton of people competing for it.

Most of the desirable games are still the same, but the prices have definitely changed.

Man, I sold my collection way too early back around 2005. The Wii Virtual Console made me nervous and I thought the prices were going to go down. Some of the stuff I sold back then would make people cry at the sight of it these days. Earthbound brand new unopened type of stuff.

This stuff was everywhere at flea markets when I did the bulk of my collecting back in the late 90s/early 00s. It truly was the golden age. It was just me and one other guy that competed for classic games at my flea market then. Now if you go, there isn't much to find and there are a ton of people competing for it.

Most of the desirable games are still the same, but the prices have definitely changed.

That's true but it helps to remind myself that these games were $80 new 20 years ago.

GloveSlap

That's true but it helps to remind myself that these games were $80 new 20 years ago.

That is true. One thing that really worked out in my favor was that I started collecting when the good stuff was getting clearanced out. I pick up a big part of my sealed collection right off of store shelves for pennies on the dollar.

Top Bottom