• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

SLX

Banned
What is a reasonable price for buying Wild Guns?

My local game store has it for 120.00, but it doesn't have the label.

Parallacs

What is a reasonable price for buying Wild Guns?

My local game store has it for 120.00, but it doesn't have the label.

Eww. It's hard to recommend any game that doesn't have a label. Of course you could always print out a new label if you are confortable with that.

eBay has it around $160-180 but the sample size is tiny for completed listings:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...3.m570.l1313&_nkw=Wild+Guns+nintendo&_sacat=0

Sucks that this game has risen so fast. I got it two years ago for $20 because I thought it was funny that a little cowgirl was shooting at a massive robot.

Sucks that this game has risen so fast. I got it two years ago for $20 because I thought it was funny that a little cowgirl was shooting at a massive robot.

I think there have been a number of youtube videos in the last couple years showing how this game is an unknown gem coupled with it's rarity (pretty sure it's rare).

Seik

Banned
Aw man, Wild guns, I totally want it.

Just bought 5 PC engine games though, my wallet simply can't...in a few week\months you can count on me to grab one.

Wild Guns and other Natsume SNES titles just continue to skyrocket in price. I really should have jumped on several when they were cheap-----er.

CrazyGamesDude

Neo Member
What I've bought so far after getting into SNES collecting (again). I sold my SNES collection about 2 years ago. I really regret it now, because I had most of the better games on the system and now they're like double the price I paid.

Anyway, just happy to be playing/collecting SNES again.

$T2eC16V,!ysE9sy0iOwqBRJT6zfC4g~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqF,!lEFDwl5wbzwBRIbKE7Zmg~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqRHJE0FEU461nG7BRKYo,DES!~~60_58.JPG

$(KGrHqJ,!qwFDkjVw75MBRIws(!ktQ~~60_57.JPG

Fox Mulder

Aw man, Wild guns, I totally want it.

Just bought 5 PC engine games though, my wallet simply can't...in a few weekmonths you can count on me to grab one.

I'm fine with getting it on the wii VC. My budget is kind of blown right now anyways after some $60 purchases for the wii and 360. Had to get Xenoblade and metroid prime trilogy when I had the chance.

Are you sure? I've seen Stumpokapow post about game reproductions and give the link. That's how I found out about the site. He seems to know the rules so I think it's okay, unless something has changed since then.

Crazy. We weren't sure, we were just being cautious. I would take a mod talking about it as a sign that it's okay, though.

So, here's where I've bought some of mine: http://www.ocdreproductions.com/SNES_GAMES/cat1560737_1440860.aspx

I've gotten three things from them. Secret of Mana 2 and Earthbound Zero were fantastic, New Ghostbusters 2 had a bit of a blurry label, but not terrible. I'd still order from them again no problem. They do take a couple weeks to get the games done, but that seems pretty normal. They charge $50 per game for the normal stuff and you can get four games for $180 if you go all in at once. Much better than ebay prices.

I ended up with http://www.retrostage.net/
Very basic site. lol. But they are $45 each (mine were anyways) and has both homebrew repros and translation repros.

Most of their SNES translations are $60. They offer Star Ocean which a lot of place don't though. Really want that, looks awesome. $120 though...

Has anyone heard something about the chips used in these repros not lasting as long as whatever type of chip is used in real carts? I read that somewhere and didn't know if it was true. What I saw said the chips will only last 10-15 years, which is kind of shitty if true.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Most of their SNES translations are $60. They offer Star Ocean which a lot of place don't though. Really want that, looks awesome. $120 though...

Buy a goddamn flashcart and make your own "repros". It costs 120 bucks and all you need is a SD card and some hacked roms.

Also, you can change them. Buying repros like these is kinda paying for piracy, when you think about it... so might as well.

Buy a goddamn flashcart and make your own "repros". It costs 120 bucks and all you need is a SD card and some hacked roms.

Also, you can change them. Buying repros like these is kinda paying for piracy, when you think about it... so might as well.

Pass. I want real carts on my shelf.

I don't really view it as piracy since they are made out of the original Japanese Super Famicom carts that have had one of their chips swapped to one with English on it, as seen here: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/japanese-super-famicom-english-translations-conversions/

Pass. I want real carts on my shelf.

I don't really view it as piracy since they are made out of the original Japanese Super Famicom carts that have had one of their chips swapped to one with English on it, as seen here: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/japanese-super-famicom-english-translations-conversions/

what's the point if the "real carts" aren't technically real and have chips that will die in 15 years?
I'd honestly rather buy a Japanese import (to have the cart, box, and manual) but play a patched ROM.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I don't know about the 15 year life span. Need to look into it more, shitty if true. If it looks real, feels real, plays real, it's real (to me damn it!)

a Flash cart would be real (a tangible object), it would feel real (it weights like a real thing), it looks real (you know, like a snes game. The cartdige format and everything), it would play games that never existed (like a translated version of Tales of Phantasia), would cost a fraction of the cost (because you'd be able to keep more than one unreleased/homebrew game in it) and some dude wouldn't make profit selling you a game he downloaded for free from the Internet, a game which a group of people probably spent a good amount of time translating it for free on their free time for fans like you.

Edit: on the flip side, you could also use the flashcart to play your games and keep your "boxed copies" boxed, protected and, on some cases, even sealed. You'd both get the cake (by buying the game) and eat the cake (by playing a rom and not "tainting" the actual phisical object you spent 300+ bucks on ebay), and you're only dabbing a little bit on the Grey side of things (because you bought the game anyway). - obviously, that only works for regular and DSP1 carts.

Carts like these: http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?products_id=84 or http://stoneagegamer.com/super_everdrive_deluxe.aspx

Edit2: I'd like to say that I didn't do any research on those flashcarts, those are just the ones that look like they're worth something that I found on the sites where that I had bookrmarked from when I was looking for my Sega Genesis flashcart, way back before there were SD/CF Card adapters for the systems. If you really want to get down to it, apparently they both require/can provide "firmware updates" which are not done for free, which I think is bullshit. I also think it's only "cool" to use these carts on game you physically own or homebrew. If the linkage of these sites is against the rules, just tell me and I'll remove them.

what's the point if the "real carts" aren't technically real and have chips that will die in 15 years?
I'd honestly rather buy a Japanese import (to have the cart, box, and manual) but play a patched ROM.

Exactly. It would probably be cheaper (in the long run) and you would actually have legally bought the games.

Quackula

EPROMS have much, much better data retention than that. The 15 year lifespan thing is a myth, not sure how it started.

People still buy and sell NES prototype carts that still work for example. Arcade boards use EPROMS too, and I've got a Mortal Kombat II cabinet that hasn't had its Rom Chips touched in 20 years. It works fine.

EPROMS have much, much better data retention than that. The 15 year lifespan thing is a myth, not sure how it started.

People still buy and sell NES prototype carts that still work for example. Arcade boards use EPROMS too, and I've got a Mortal Kombat II cabinet that hasn't had its Rom Chips touched in 20 years. It works fine.

Good to know, thanks.

Different strokes. I want the legit looking carts. It will of course be way cheaper in the long run to go with a flashcart (I already have five repros and three currently on the way, so I could have bought a flashcart by now). But, that's not what I want.

So I'm about to do a trade where I trade my good condition Mario Party 3 cart for a good condition Mega Man X2 cart and I add $37.

That's pretty fair right?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
That's what I'm thinking. Buy a Retrode or Super UFO Pro 8. Import games. Rip them and patch.

I get the desire to have a real looking cart, though.

SLX

Banned
Thanks for the replies on Wild Guns.

I remember 2 years ago when the highest it got was around 68.00 dollars. Should have got it then, damn.

All I need is that and Super Turrican 2.

I saw this at Play N Trade recently...I don't suppose anyone here would know what it is?

It's a sequel of some sort...I know that much!

I think they also had one of the Super Robot Wars games...boxed! They also had a loose copy of Rock Man 2 for the Famicom.

EDIT: I looked through a list of Super Famicom games and just looked through everything with a 2...and I found it. It's Tatakae Genshijin 2: Rookie no Bōken...Congo's Caper in the US. It's a sequel to Joe & Mac...which I actually bought on the Genesis the same day I took that picture. Hah.

Had a quick read through the thread, became interested in getting a snes again, checked ebay, pass.

The price jumps are just too much to justify, even my local pawn brokers etc have been charging top dollar, a few years back even $10 a game was unheard of, saw some the other day charging $50+ for garbage and people buying them.

Jackano

All those retro games thread on GAF makes me want to replay some SNES, again. I did replay last summer two games I wanted to, FF Adventure/Mystic Quest and Secret of Evermore.

Any recommandation to make me plug in the system again?
I'm not into difficult games and fast paced games. I want to play maybe something I never played so forget about the classics like the Mario games. I want to replay Secret of Mana but it's too damn expensive, I will get it eventually on virtual console.
Is there any good Kirby games on SNES available in PAL?!

I think that's Joe & Mac 2. Which got translated to Congo's Caper here.

Yeah, I know. I figured it out and had edited it into my post earlier. Hah. It's the second game in the series, but it doesn't have Joe or Mac in it. The third game got released here as Joe & Mac 2, and actually has, well...Joe & Mac in it. What's funny is that I bought the first game the same day I took the picture I posted. Hah.

Anyway, thanks for replying! :D

IrishNinja

I currently have a Sim City with over 200,000. Of course, I'm using the max money cheat. lol.

every few years i go back to this one (and of course you use the money cheat!), always get so close to a Megalopolis, then people leave and i just get mad & wreck my New Jack City utopia. 0 taxes! 0 Crime! low pollution!! what do you people want (;_;)

I would say around $40 since that's how much I paid. I would avoid all BINs and stick to bidding.

that's about what i was expecting, and yeah, from genesis/etc stuff ive been buying lately, you totally get off cheaper by being patient & just sniping auctions, especially if they end late at night!

I hate paying a lot for manuals...I might go maybe as high as 5-10 bucks.

Okay 5.

i had to sell a lot've my old sega stuff to get by years back, but managed to keep my SNES carts thankfully...made nearly $200 off the manuals alone, and this was '03. i don't even mess with em, but 1st part stuff ive seen listed at Nintendo's official site (though you'll likely get b&w reprints i believe)

I don't think we are supposed to talk about those sites.

you totally can, we're talking about dead properties here so fear not

although i kinda feel like selling fan games is sketchy...wait what's this Oh no! More Zombies Ate My Neighbors about? i gotta look into that one!

Just bought 3 repros for $45 each. Not bad. And hey, if I don't like it, I could always resell it on eBay for $90. lol /evil
Anyways bought the following:

Legend of Zelda: Parallel Worlds (original harder version)
Legend of Zelda: Goddess of Wisdom
Super Mario World: Return to Dinosaur Land

interesting - i had all of those via ROM but never did get around to em, post back if they're good!
ive always debated a Mother 0 (easy mode) repo but they're never cheap

I find it really difficult to play through my games when I have them on a flash cart. I'm much more likely to finish a game using the real cart.

Since we're talking repros now, I second OCD Reproductions. They have a lot of stock and good prices.

GulAtiCa

every few years i go back to this one (and of course you use the money cheat!), always get so close to a Megalopolis, then people leave and i just get mad & wreck my New Jack City utopia. 0 taxes! 0 Crime! low pollution!! what do you people want (;_;)

No kidding! Even with 0 tax, no crime, no pollution, a block could still be the slums even with a special park in the middle. These people are greedy.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
This thread makes me wish I didn't stop collecting SNES games years ago when the prices were at least reasonable. I've been looking around now for a while and it seems that every other game that was around $50 or so complete has skyrocketed over the 150's. It's not even funny. I have a pretty good collection already, but I don't see myself getting those games I should have gotten all those years ago any time soon. It would be wallet suicide for sure.

Linkhero1

This thread makes me wish I didn't stop collecting SNES games years ago when the prices were at least reasonable. I've been looking around now for a while and it seems that every other game that was around $50 or so complete has skyrocketed over the 150's. It's not even funny. I have a pretty good collection already, but I don't see myself getting those games I should have gotten all those years ago any time soon. It would be wallet suicide for sure.
Pretty much what happened to me. Luckily I did get most of what I wanted two years ago. There are only a handful of games that I want that are priced at $80+ that I'm not able to afford at the moment.

Teknoman

Anyone print cover arts for the universal game cases? I have a few random games I can't find covers for (probably because their crap). Anyone have any good sites or have covers for these:

dragon ball z
derby stallion II
F1 Grand Prix Part II
Soccer II
Pro Football
Garou Densetsu
Parlord R-5-!
Garou Densetsu Special
3D Ballz
Slam Dunk
Elfaria
Super Soccer
Excite Stage 94
Power League (2)
Super Formation Soccer

I use http://www.thecoverproject.net/ and their forums usually, but figured I'd see if you guys have anything!

I'd say open a request thread on the cover project forums.

I saw this at Play N Trade recently...I don't suppose anyone here would know what it is?

It's a sequel of some sort...I know that much!

I think they also had one of the Super Robot Wars games...boxed! They also had a loose copy of Rock Man 2 for the Famicom.

EDIT: I looked through a list of Super Famicom games and just looked through everything with a 2...and I found it. It's Tatakae Genshijin 2: Rookie no Bōken...Congo's Caper in the US. It's a sequel to Joe & Mac...which I actually bought on the Genesis the same day I took that picture. Hah.

How much is that? 20 or 10?

How much is that? 20 or 10?

$20. It might actually be lower, since a lot of the stuff I bought there that day actually the had the prices lowered significantly. TurboGrafx-16 games, for instance, were tagged as $25-$30+, but were actually $4.99-$9.99. I should be back there soon, so I'll check next time if the price is lower, and check prices of the other Super Famicom stuff they had, too. Might get some of it if it's at a good price.

Zing

Banned
Be careful. Label-less games are frequently reproductions or bootlegs. If you are going to waste $120 on a cart with no label, at least be sure it has legit internals.

Wild Guns wasn't worth the $60 it used to go for. I have no idea who is paying triple that now.

SLX

Banned
Be careful. Label-less games are frequently reproductions or bootlegs. If you are going to waste $120 on a cart with no label, at least be sure it has legit internals.

Wild Guns wasn't worth the $60 it used to go for. I have no idea who is paying triple that now.

I wish there was a list out there for how much games are truly worth, instead of it being so arbitrary.

I wouldn't pay 150 for Wild Guns, let alone even 100.

I paid 50 for Sunset Riders. I feel the purchased was justified only because how much I replay it.

Now I just hope I didn't spend too much on R-Type III at 50 dollars either. It seemed rare to me at the time.

But I'm really done buying used games at the moment. It's just insanity some of the prices that are out there and people actually paying for them.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I wish there was a list out there for how much games are truly worth, instead of it being so arbitrary.

They're worth what you're willing to pay, like your example with Sunset Riders.

I would pay a fair bit for a complete Wild Guns because it's not only a great game, but one of my favourites. I was also willing to pay top dollar for Super Double Dragon, Return of Double Dragon and Ninja Warriors Again because, to me, they are worth what was being asked of them. Stuff I don't care so much I pick up a lot cheaper and in a lot worse condition. For instance I got Buster Busts Loose for £3 because, well, any more than that and it becomes totally not worth it. To me.

Sure, perceived rarity adds to the price because it attracts "collectors" rather than just people who genuinely wish to own it because they like it, but that's true of anything.

Also; people saying Wild Guns is bad? Come on, it's genuinely fucking awesome.

Top Bottom