• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Linkhero1

Lufia II came in the mail the other day. So close to finally having all the ones I want. I'm never gonna get Dracula X, E.V.O or Wild Guns :(

So many games, too little money.

My copy of Secret of Mana has finally been dispatched, woo! Can't wait to play it
and listen to that awesome music.

Nice mine's in the mail as well. I just beat Super Metroid last night and I'm now moving on to Super Mario RPG. Slowly but surely I'll be making my way through the backlog.

SreyB

What's the best way to hook up a SNES to a newer TV? I don't have access or room for a CRT TV.

I have a newer Sony LED TV with no S-Video. It DOES have a PC in - which could be used with a XRGB3.

Anyone have experience with an XRGB? I understand the best way to get video to the XRGB is to use a Japanese SCART cable, but it's super hard to come by an official Nintendo Cable.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
What's the best way to hook up a SNES to a newer TV? I don't have access or room for a CRT TV.

I have a newer Sony LED TV with no S-Video. It DOES have a PC in - which could be used with a XRGB3.

Anyone have experience with an XRGB? I understand the best way to get video to the XRGB is to use a Japanese SCART cable, but it's super hard to come by an official Nintendo Cable.

XRGB is sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

And it's not that tough to get ahold of a SNES SCART cable. I see the Japanese ones on Ebay pretty regularly.

Fox Mulder

It'll be interesting to see how the new retron 4 turns out in a few weeks, as it's apparently adding HDMI output and GBA support.

GulAtiCa

How about using composite? Very cheap cause A/V slot is the same for N64 and GC too.

SreyB

XRGB is sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

And it's not that tough to get ahold of a SNES SCART cable. I see the Japanese ones on Ebay pretty regularly.

Apparently, only the Official Nintendo SCART cable outputs a decent image. I've read a few stories online saying 3rd party cables are kinda crappy and output a RF quality image...

It'll be interesting to see how the new retron 4 turns out in a few weeks, as it's apparently adding HDMI output and adding GBA support.

Hmm, that sounds very cool! Maybe I'll hold off and see how it turns out...

Zing

Banned
I'll go out on a limb and guess that it's due to recent work on emulating it. Sell it now before everyone and their mom can get a repro.

jjgames

It's already at 12k with 47 bids with 4 days still to go, how much do you think it'll go for? Why sell it now?

I paid $12K for it, but also paid a $200 bounty to get it emulated and $1,000 bounty to get a reproduction made. So I'm hoping it sells for at least $13,300 to cover all costs and ebay fees.

When I bought it I wanted to be able to let other gamers enjoy it, which is why I dumped the ROM and released that and worked to get someone to make a reproduction as well. I didn't want only 2 people to be able to enjoy it because it is very fun and a bit of history.

After these two things had been done and some people gave me offers I decided to sell it publicly. I would rather do that so the 'real' market price is determined instead of a private sale.

I paid $12K for it, but also paid a $200 bounty to get it emulated and $1,000 bounty to get a reproduction made. So I'm hoping it sells for at least $13,300 to cover all costs and ebay fees.

When I bought it I wanted to be able to let other gamers enjoy it, which is why I dumped the ROM and released that and worked to get someone to make a reproduction as well. I didn't want only 2 people to be able to enjoy it because it is very fun and a bit of history.

Well, damn. That's awesome. Hope you make some bank off it.

Reclaimer

XRGB Mini Framemeister and an official Nintendo Japanese RGB cable, sent to your TV via HDMI. This gives god tier SNES image quality all the way up to 1080p (or 720p if you want scan lines added). Honestly, playing SNES on a 55" TV and having all those pixels and motion be super clean, and with crazy low lag, is like a dream come true, I've never regretted spending the money to get the XRGBMini.

FakeEdit: I only mention the official RGB cables because of the issues I've had with generic eBay bought ones. The official cables have a great build quality and output about as clean RGB and audio as you can get, especially true for 1-chip consoles.

Linkhero1

After these two things had been done and some people gave me offers I decided to sell it publicly. I would rather do that so the 'real' market price is determined instead of a private sale.

This is pretty awesome. Good luck with the auction.

My girlfriend offered me her games. She said she doesn't play them but I'd feel bad taking them from her. I haven't seen her lot though...but still.... I dunno. Shes pretty awesome.

Cool thanks for sharing and I hope you can cash in on it. Is this your first time venturing into hyper rare games?

I know it's not SNES, but I felt like mentioning this in this thread... Just received in the mail today a completely pristine copy of Popful Mail on the Sega CD. Cost $175 though. Worst thing however is that I was tagged for $37 in customs fees, what's up with that? (I'm in Canada, obviously.) Seller shipped the game via USPS too. I really don't understand as usually it is FedEx/UPS, etc. that are this pricey. Pretty discouraging.

jjgames

Cool thanks for sharing and I hope you can cash in on it. Is this your first time venturing into hyper rare games?

Not the first, I also bought Nintendo World Championship Gold and Nintendo Campus Challenge 91, Panesian NES games, Donkey Kong Country Competition, and NBA Elite 11. I don't have a big collection, but I really like the ultra rare stuff.

Kind of an interesting story with the purchase of NWC Gold:
http://blog.pricecharting.com/2009/06/how-i-got-nintendo-world-championships.html

And PowerFest too. It took 2 years to negotiate terms.
http://blog.pricecharting.com/2012/07/how-i-got-nintendo-powerfest-94.html

Reclaimer

Not the first, I also bought Nintendo World Championship Gold and Nintendo Campus Challenge 91, Panesian NES games, Donkey Kong Country Competition, and NBA Elite 11. I don't have a big collection, but I really like the ultra rare stuff.

http://blog.pricecharting.com/2009/06/how-i-got-nintendo-world-championships.html

This is an amazing story. Thanks for sharing!

I've done some Craigslist transactions for what I thought was a serious amount of cash, but nowhere near $12,000. Tip of my hat to you sir!

Great stories JJ and I'd be nervous with that transaction as well. I wish Nintendo would have competitions like they did in the 90's, except this time everybody would be keen to hold on to the leftovers.

SLX

Banned
I just heard of a new console that is coming out that plays NES/SNES/Genesis/GBA, and PAL and NTSC formats. And it goes through HDMI:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/06/retron-4-plays-nes-snes-genesis-and-gba-carts-hides-its-looks/

My question is will this upscale the 240p resolution and/or make it poor looking on a LCD HDTV with normal composite connections?

Don't know how many folks are collecting SNES consoles, but I've always hope for a solution to just get an all-in-one package that goes through HDMI. However previous brands/models haven't really been all that good in quality.

jjgames

Great stories JJ and I'd be nervous with that transaction as well. I wish Nintendo would have competitions like they did in the 90's, except this time everybody would be keen to hold on to the leftovers.

I wish they would do those competitions again too. It would be really fun even though I know I would get destroyed.

Your right that people would definitely hold onto the leftovers now. They would probably still be collectible, but not to the same extent because they wouldn't all be destroyed.

Parallacs

Awesome read. I liked your response in the comments section:

Grooveraider - I can definitely understand people not wanting to pay a lot of money for a collectors item. But I'm not paying that much money to play the game, just like people who buy a Honus Wagner baseball card aren't going to put it in the spokes of their bicycle or Action Comic #1 buyers aren't going to buy it so they can read it while they eat breakfast. The same can be said about rare paintings, "why would I pay millions of dollars for a Picasso when I can just look at a poster of the same painting?"

Whenever someone comes in here or some other thread and says something like, "why don't you just emulate? These games are old lol.", there is no way I would be as eloquent. I guess some people just can't comprehend it.

Good luck with the sale!

Parallacs

Maybe some of the stuff on ebay. Sadly, not finding good deals on SFC controllers. All are in the 1200yen range.

Keep an eye out for some Japan only Nintendo stuff if you want to make some money:

Japan only gameboy micros
Gameboy lights
Orange Gamecubes

And a few Japan only games:
Wai Wai World
Boku Dracula-kun

Lagoon haunts me. Rented it a bunch of times, but never got past the first area/town. lol

I want to say I've beaten it (I know I've played it a billion times for sure), but I'm starting to convince myself I have it confused with a different game. I remember being up in a sky palace or something at one point, I remember being stuck at a boss. Have to play it and find out I guess. Game is so cheap, there's really no reason not to own it.

Olly88

Nice mine's in the mail as well. I just beat Super Metroid last night and I'm now moving on to Super Mario RPG. Slowly but surely I'll be making my way through the backlog.

Heh, I've been playing Super Metroid too. Unfortunately I don't have Super Mario RPG though.

SreyB

XRGB Mini Framemeister and an official Nintendo Japanese RGB cable, sent to your TV via HDMI. This gives god tier SNES image quality all the way up to 1080p (or 720p if you want scan lines added). Honestly, playing SNES on a 55" TV and having all those pixels and motion be super clean, and with crazy low lag, is like a dream come true, I've never regretted spending the money to get the XRGBMini.

FakeEdit: I only mention the official RGB cables because of the issues I've had with generic eBay bought ones. The official cables have a great build quality and output about as clean RGB and audio as you can get, especially true for 1-chip consoles.

I've been watching videos on youtube showing this thing off and it looks so awesome. I hear it also makes Psone, Saturn, and N64 look pretty sweet.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy your framemeister? Also, did you find your official SCART cable on ebay?

Fox Mulder

I just heard of a new console that is coming out that plays NES/SNES/Genesis/GBA, and PAL and NTSC formats. And it goes through HDMI:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/06/retron-4-plays-nes-snes-genesis-and-gba-carts-hides-its-looks/

My question is will this upscale the 240p resolution and/or make it poor looking on a LCD HDTV with normal composite connections?

Don't know how many folks are collecting SNES consoles, but I've always hope for a solution to just get an all-in-one package that goes through HDMI. However previous brands/models haven't really been all that good in quality.

I'll be paying attention to the reviews it gets. I'm currently playing on a retron 3. I just find it more convenient for me to have three great consoles in one box hooked up all the time. I've yet to run into a game that wont work, but accept that it has some issues. I'll gladly upgrade to the next model just for hdmi, as I'm not going to spend $500 or whatever for a Framemeister any time soon.

But I've also bought Wild Guns on the VC instead of paying eBay prices. I'm not that super picky.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME

I going to buy the motherfucking shit out of the Retron 4! Get hype!

GulAtiCa

One of the things I've always disliked about Super Mario RPG, is how little exp you get from bosses. Heck even the super annoying hard Axem Rangers only give you 13 or so. Most of the battles inside the volcano give you 30+..

Peagles

I'm getting a lot of amusement out of the video in the auction, mainly with the sound effect played when you get the TIME UP screen. Hahaha...

Zing

Banned
Well, Mega Man X2 only took two days to 100% complete without any outside help. I have X4 and X5, but am missing X3 of course. There is a local swap meet, but it's in April. Don't know if I can wait that long.

Top Bottom