• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

One of the things I've always disliked about Super Mario RPG, is how little exp you get from bosses. Heck even the super annoying hard Axem Rangers only give you 13 or so. Most of the battles inside the volcano give you 30+..

Hmmm...I never noticed that before!

plc268

FakeEdit: I only mention the official RGB cables because of the issues I've had with generic eBay bought ones. The official cables have a great build quality and output about as clean RGB and audio as you can get, especially true for 1-chip consoles.

I bought an RGB scart cable from retroconsoleaccessories (I think that's the ebay name) off of ebay, and the cable just never worked correctly. I got video, but it was unstable on the xrgb.

The thing was, though, it worked perfectly fine on an old normal snes, but it did not work on my rgb modded snes mini. A while back, someone had told me that the cable may not be wired correctly, so I took apart the cable on the av connector side (not the scart side), and rewired it according to various guides on the internet. Now it works perfectly.

To be honest, it's not terribly difficult to make your own rgb cable. The main issue would be finding a source for the scart plug (I never did look much into this, they may be easier to find than I think).

I've been watching videos on youtube showing this thing off and it looks so awesome. I hear it also makes Psone, Saturn, and N64 look pretty sweet.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy your framemeister? Also, did you find your official SCART cable on ebay?

There's two popular ways to get an xrgb mini. Buy it from solarisjapan.com, or get it from amazon.jp. Amazon won't ship directly to you internationally, so you'll have to use a reshipper, like Tenso. It should come out slightly cheaper than solaris. I've dealt with solaris myself, and I have nothing negative to say. They shipped fast, and I received it in 3 days.

Just don't buy off of ebay. You're paying a significant markup on ebay.

dgco86

Does anyone have any recommendations on SNES AC adapters and S-Video cables? I live in Singapore so I would prefer something that can handle a 220V input.

I tried an AC adapter from eBay (rated 9V, 1000ma) and it resulted in these wavy green lines (when the system worked) all over the screen.

As for S-Video cables, I bought 2 of the KMD ones from hkgames2010 on eBay and while 1 works fine on my N64, the other one I'm using for my SNES has no sound coming out of the white RCA plug.

As for S-Video cables, I bought 2 of the KMD ones from hkgames2010 on eBay and while 1 works fine on my N64, the other one I'm using for my SNES has no sound coming out of the white RCA plug.
Couldn't tell you about a power adapter.

For S-Video cables, though, you typically want to avoid buying any that also have a composite video output like the KMDs you bought have--this is supposedly because they're not outputting true S-Video. I grabbed a 3rd party S-Video cable by Innovation recently that seems to work well. The Monster S-Video cables are supposedly the best of the 3rd party cables, but you'll be lucky to find any that aren't price gouged at this point. As always, 1st party is usually the best way to go, but they'll set you back probably around $30 if not more, and you might have to wait for them to show up on ebay or elsewhere.

I can pretty much assume your faulty cable didn't come with any sort of warranty given my Innovation cable didn't. There are bound to be a few bad eggs every once in a while when it comes to cheap 3rd party cables, and you seem to have just gotten unlucky.

Teknoman

Couldn't tell you about a power adapter.

For S-Video cables, though, you typically want to avoid buying any that also have a composite video output like the KMDs you bought have--this is supposedly because they're not outputting true S-Video. I grabbed a 3rd party S-Video cable by Innovation recently that seems to work well. The Monster S-Video cables are supposedly the best of the 3rd party cables, but you'll be lucky to find any that aren't price gouged at this point. As always, 1st party is usually the best way to go, but they'll set you back probably around $30 if not more, and you might have to wait for them to show up on ebay or elsewhere.

I can pretty much assume your faulty cable didn't come with any sort of warranty given my Innovation cable didn't. There are bound to be a few bad eggs every once in a while when it comes to cheap 3rd party cables, and you seem to have just gotten unlucky.

Those Gamestop universal cables seem to work pretty well (at least noticeably better than composite) and they came with yellow composite input attached.

The racketboy cables I ordered did too...so is it just some S-video cables that include composite end up not outputting true S-video? lol it looks like everything has been drastically improved, but now i'm worried its some kinda placebo. Using the Gamestop cables for SNES and Racketboy for N64.

As long as I dont see any strange patterns in the background on either, i'd think both were good solutions. Is that the best way to tell if you're getting the absolute best S-video picture quality?

Those Gamestop universal cables seem to work pretty well (at least noticeably better than composite) and they came with yellow composite input attached.

The racketboy cables I ordered did too...so is it just some S-video cables that include composite end up not outputting true S-video? lol it looks like everything has been drastically improved, but now i'm worried its some kinda placebo. Using the Gamestop cables for SNES and Racketboy for N64.
I've just heard stories about similar cables resulting in a bad picture--lines along the screen or something. Gamestop cables included. If they're working for you, it should be fine.

Teknoman

Well just for reference (not sure if cell phone pics would help), here is what i'm looking at:

jbiR84VhvY9Kxt.jpg

j1OpZqUxXZT6P.jpg

jbjAOYgSyohq3L.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So it turns out my new school's library has a game room, full of classic titles that you can play there, or borrow for a few days (there's a MAME cab too).

Basically, in 2013, I can rent a whole bunch of SNES games for free.... This is just amazing! It's hard for me to rent a new game these days, and yet here is a time machine to a rental store, circa 1993 :D

This, along with my new XRGB mini Framemeister and RGB SCART cable (which arrived today), I am SNESing it up in style in the modern day :D

Peagles

So. I played Super Metroid for like 7 hours. Then I turned it on tonight, and my save was gone... I'm drinking away my sorrows right now...

Peagles

I've been playing Super Metroid a lot recently. I'm scared now...

Well, I was playing a US cart on my SFC through an adapter, so I think I was kinda unlucky. I decided I'll just play it on Wii U when it comes out. Thank god for autocorrect cos I'm drunk as fuck right now.

lupin23rd

Nothing like 105yen SFC games at the Book Off. And boxed SFC games for 250 yen at a local shop in Shibuja.

Which shop were you checking out in Shibuya with the boxed SFC games? I'm looking for a few non-rare games but haven't had any luck in Nakano, Akihabara, or at a couple places I hit up out in Chiba.

Well, I was playing a US cart on my SFC through an adapter, so I think I was kinda unlucky. I decided I'll just play it on Wii U when it comes out. Thank god for autocorrect cos I'm drunk as fuck right now.

I would think the battery is just dead, nothing to do with the converter.

Danielsan

So a couple of friends stopped by for a gaming session yesterday and due to the facts that my internet connection was acting up and a friend of mine has been in a retro gaming mood these past few weeks, we decided to bring out the SNES again. We spend the entire day playing Castlevania IV and Super Ghouls and Ghosts passing the controller after each death.

So now I've caught the retro gaming bug again as well and I'm wondering, what are some other great SNES titles that are similar to the aforementioned titles?

Gameboy415

In that case, http://www.ocdreproductions.com/ seems pretty cool. They dont charge shipping if you're in the US, and they seem to have the lowest prices...so far.

I meant to comment on this earlier but it slipped my mind.
That site has a pretty amazing selection of repros for surprisingly good prices!
Have you ever ordered from them??

I just heard of a new console that is coming out that plays NES/SNES/Genesis/GBA, and PAL and NTSC formats. And it goes through HDMI:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/06/retron-4-plays-nes-snes-genesis-and-gba-carts-hides-its-looks/

My question is will this upscale the 240p resolution and/or make it poor looking on a LCD HDTV with normal composite connections?

Don't know how many folks are collecting SNES consoles, but I've always hope for a solution to just get an all-in-one package that goes through HDMI. However previous brands/models haven't really been all that good in quality.

I definitely prefer original hardware but this clone-console is sounding like it could be pretty amazing!
If it works as promised, I'd love having one of these in my living room!

On a side note, does/did anyone else collect SNES/Super Famicom guides back in the day?
I've got a pretty decent group of them and I'll try to take/post pictures later today. :)

Quackula

Rumor has it that the Retron 4 is going to actually be basically an Android based computer running emulators that can accept those carts. HDMI out would make a lot of sense then I suppose.

On a side note, does/did anyone else collect SNES/Super Famicom guides back in the day?
I've got a pretty decent group of them and I'll try to take/post pictures later today. :)

I don't actively collect guides, but I do have a small collection of old Nintendo Power magazines I've picked several misc guides up over the years and love flipping through them.

A good tip for storing magazines:

17.jpg

sheet protectors + a binder. Works really well!

That site has a pretty amazing selection of repros for surprisingly good prices!

Here are two carts I got from them that are absolutely perfect:

I also got New Ghostbusters 2, which I wasn't as pleased with. Label was a little blurry looking. Game itself work great and the game is awesome. But, yeah, they need a better label for that one. I'd still order from them again no problem since I'd rate them as two great and one okay so far.

It does take a couple weeks to get an order, though.

So a couple of friends stopped by for a gaming session yesterday and due to the facts that my internet connection was acting up and a friend of mine has been in a retro gaming mood these past few weeks, we decided to bring out the SNES again. We spend the entire day playing Castlevania IV and Super Ghouls and Ghosts passing the controller after each death.

So now I've caught the retro gaming bug again as well and I'm wondering, what are some other great SNES titles that are similar to the aforementioned titles?
You should start with Super Metroid. I should also recommend Contra III: The Alien Wars (co-op, yay!) and the Donkey Kong Country games.

As far as similar to SG&G, there is Demon's Crest which is in the same universe. Don't know how similar the gameplay is as I've never been lucky enough to get or play a copy. So recommending that hard to find game is kind of ludicrous anyway.

I hate to say it, but I have a feeling those a reproductions. Whenever the labels are a little too perfect, I become suspicious.

edit 2: Actually SOM 2 is definitely a repro. I was never released in North America.

GulAtiCa

I hate to say it, but I have a feeling those a reproductions. Whenever the labels are a little too perfect, I become suspicious.

edit 2: Actually SOM 2 is definitely a repro. I was never released in North America.

I imagine he already knows that, since he is commenting about those repros. :p

ooo, looks like my copy of Mega Man X2 and Lagoon will arrive today.

The Retron plays real carts.

I believe my copy of Lagoon should be here today or tomorrow as well.

I broke out my Lagoon cart today and got to the second dungeon. Prepare for some jank and rage. I'm glad I've beaten this game multiple times before because the whole first area is just full of brutal and shitty design decisions. You can really tell this game is in the transition from NES to SNES era.

GulAtiCa

It feels unnatural not having anything coming in the mail from eBay right now. So unusual! lol. I do have those 3 homebrew repros coming in the mail of course this week or so. Heh. I prob spent around $2500 on retro stuff since beginning of January. lol (keep in mind I also sold/resold $800 too, so a good bit comes from that pool). Prob a good thing my spending is winding down.

At least till I get my tax return. ;)

beanman25

If anyone is interested, I'm still trying to trade my extra Chrono Trigger (US) cart. It's in really nice shape and I can take photos if necessary.

Looking for other SNES games of similar value.

Peagles

I would think the battery is just dead, nothing to do with the converter.

No :( Well I don't think so. I tried to play to the first save, and that one remained there after turning the console off. So I think I just got unlucky :(

(Sober now)

Fake edit: I tried it a few times because one time me and my brother turned on our N64 with Goldeneye and they all said "New Agent". We were about to throw up because we had a 007 save. So we turned it off and back on again and they reappeared. Same happened with Banjo Kazooie once (I think I actually did throw up that time cos I cared about it so much and we had hundreds of hours on there), but same thing, reseated the cart and it was fine.

That didn't work for poor Super Metroid though. Blank saves no matter what I did. But now I can make a new one, I'm not sure I want to risk it. Virtual Console for me unfortunately :(

Teknoman

I definitely prefer original hardware but this clone-console is sounding like it could be pretty amazing!
If it works as promised, I'd love having one of these in my living room!

I ordered Mother 3 when they were in stock, so still waiting on that. Planning on getting some nes and snes rpgs once i actually beat some of these games.

Speaking of rpgs, isnt chrono trigger ds considered the definitive version?

milsorgen

Banned
XRGB Mini Framemeister and an official Nintendo Japanese RGB cable, sent to your TV via HDMI. This gives god tier SNES image quality all the way up to 1080p (or 720p if you want scan lines added). Honestly, playing SNES on a 55" TV and having all those pixels and motion be super clean, and with crazy low lag, is like a dream come true, I've never regretted spending the money to get the XRGBMini.

FakeEdit: I only mention the official RGB cables because of the issues I've had with generic eBay bought ones. The official cables have a great build quality and output about as clean RGB and audio as you can get, especially true for 1-chip consoles.

A lot of high end playback devices come with some good cables as well. I have an old LG BRD that was one of the few early devices that could update to the 2.0 (?) spec. and it had some pretty amazingly rugged cables. So I dunno, some people just toss aside the pre-packed accessories, I'd recommend people double check their junk drawers first!

Fox Mulder

So. I played Super Metroid for like 7 hours. Then I turned it on tonight, and my save was gone... I'm drinking away my sorrows right now...

losing a save sucks and can totally sour you on a game after putting that many hours into it. I've been playing Yoshi's Island and worry about the save as well, I probably should stop being lazy and just replace the batteries for all my carts. Should be pretty easy to keep up with replacing as I get new carts.

Rumor has it that the Retron 4 is going to actually be basically an Android based computer running emulators that can accept those carts. HDMI out would make a lot of sense then I suppose.

That's not as cool as all these consoles actually being on a chip. If just running emulators, why not add N64 too? I guess it could be possible to at least have features like save states and filters doing it that way.

Peagles

losing a save sucks and can totally sour you on a game after putting that many hours into it. I've been playing Yoshi's Island and worry about the save as well, I probably should stop being lazy and just replace the batteries for all my carts. Should be pretty easy to keep up with replacing as I get new carts.

On the contrary, I feel even more determined to play it again. Just not on my SNES in case the save disappears again.

Yep that was my greatest fear which led me to replace all of my cart's batteries. I know that feel though; it happened to me a month ago with Zelda.

Gameboy415

I don't actively collect guides, but I do have a small collection of old Nintendo Power magazines I've picked several misc guides up over the years and love flipping through them.

Nintendo Power is actually what got me started on guide-collecting as a kid.
There was one year they gave out 4 free guides for renewing your subscription!
I have most of the old Nintendo Power magazines too, but I let my subscription lapse for several years between going off to college (in 2001) and the end of its run.

I also got New Ghostbusters 2, which I wasn't as pleased with. Label was a little blurry looking. Game itself work great and the game is awesome. But, yeah, they need a better label for that one. I'd still order from them again no problem since I'd rate them as two great and one okay so far.

It does take a couple weeks to get an order, though.

Good to hear! There's quite a bit of stuff I'm interested in on the site.

I went ahead and took some pics of my SNES/SF Guides:

SNESGuides_zps06b61efd.jpg

I have just about all of the Official Nintendo Players Guides from the SNES era & the 2 "Secret of" guides.
AFAIK, I'm only missing Super Mario All-Stars and Donkey Kong Country 3.
It's not pictured but I have the official Earthbound guide as well (it's boxed up with the game).

SFGuides_zps0cd67388.jpg

I mostly picked up guides I found super cheap (100-500円) during my time in Japan.
The book at the top right is actually some sort of "Emulator guide-book" that has screenshots and info about 1400+ Super Famicom games!

SNESComics_zps63fc55d3.jpg

These aren't guides, they're collected volumes of the Mario & Zelda comics that ran in Nintendo Power during the SNES era.
The JP version at the top was incredibly hard to find in Japan (and expensive!). I had no luck finding Zelda - I'm not sure that it was even released over there.

Skullkid

Is there a way to tell if a bidding war is legit or not? I really wanted to pick up the fantastic looking new SNES below. I was going to bid $400-500 max based on previous similar sales, but in the heat of the moment and a bonus check from work in mind I upped my bid to kind of a ridiculous amount.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-and-Control-Mint-Condition-Item-/281073450993

I DID lose the auction by $10 and I'm fine with that. However, a half hour later I got a second chance offer from the seller. There were only 4 bidders and the other 3 have low feedback. It seems a little suspicious to me. Any ideas? I don't think I'm going to take him up on his offer anyway.

Some pickups from today:

Not SNES, but pumped to find FF for under $10!

Did you get that at the Bloomington Mega Replay today? I was in there, and there wasn't shit. But, as I was leaving I saw the guy behind the counter putting prices on a bunch of NES games out of one of those black cases (and some SNES stuff). I knew I should have asked to see what they had! I would have snatched that baby up.

inner-G

Banned
Did you get that at the Bloomington Mega Replay today? I was in there, and there wasn't shit. But, as I was leaving I saw the guy behind the counter putting prices on a bunch of NES games out of one of those black cases (and some SNES stuff). I knew I should have asked to see what they had! I would have snatched that baby up.
Nope it was at a far out of town disc replay store. I was in the blo-no store this morning and it was indeed barren.

They had a few good Genesis carts but I'm only buying CiB for it.

Nope it was at a far out of town disc replay store. I was in the blo-no store this morning and it was indeed barren.

They had a few good Genesis carts but I'm only buying CiB for it.

Ah. I was gonna be jealous.

If you ever go around Decatur, I would say they seem to be the best disc/mega replay out of the ones I've been to. That's where I got my Chrono Trigger and Demon's Crest, and I've seen Earthbound, Final Fantasy 2, few different NES Mega Mans, Breath of Fire 2, Contra 3, who knows what else. And I've only been there twice, so that seems like a good amount of loot for two visits.

The Terre Haute one used to be good, but the last couple times I've been in there there was seriously just about nothing there at all. Think someone wiped them out and it's just not a populated enough area to re-stock very often.

Springfield one sucked the one time I went there outside of my perfect looking Secret of Mana for $25.

I'm the same way with Genesis stuff. Most of the replays don't have shit for Genesis it seems, and the majority of it is without cases.

Zing

Banned
Is there a way to tell if a bidding war is legit or not? I really wanted to pick up the fantastic looking new SNES below. I was going to bid $400-500 max based on previous similar sales, but in the heat of the moment and a bonus check from work in mind I upped my bid to kind of a ridiculous amount.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-and-Control-Mint-Condition-Item-/281073450993

That is nuts. Absolutely insane. I bought a new in box SNES Last summer for $300 and that was the very high end price at the time. What the hell?

I've only used it for a day and its back in the box. I guess now is he time to sell.

Top Bottom