• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Zing

Banned
I'm selling Megaman X3 if any of you are interested.
gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg

It's just the cart and the label is busted but its rare as hell.
gaijin4koma_peersblog_1200684654.jpg

But seriously… what is it about Mega Man X games that makes people rip up the label? Maybe it's just that people only resell the damaged copies?

GoshaDole

gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg

gaijin4koma_peersblog_1200684654.jpg

But seriously… what is it about Mega Man X games that makes people rip up the label? Maybe it's just that people only resell the damaged copies?

I think it was a rental only game. Either has Blockbuster or Hollywood video stickers on most of them.

Skullkid

That is nuts. Absolutely insane. I bought a new in box SNES Last summer for $300 and that was the very high end price at the time. What the hell?

I've only used it for a day and its back in the box. I guess now is he time to sell.

I know! There must be a lot of nostalgic SNES gamers out there. The problem is that we are now old enough to have some disposable income.

I guess if I was willing to pay that much there are others out there too. I looked at the seller's feedback history, and one lucky buyer got a similar new SNES for $199 using Buy It Now just a few weeks ago.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think it was a rental only game. Either has Blockbuster or Hollywood video stickers on most of them.
It was not, actually.

About those rental stickers... Leave em on there or let a professional nerd take them off, for the love of god!! ;)

That is nuts. Absolutely insane. I bought a new in box SNES Last summer for $300 and that was the very high end price at the time. What the hell?

I've only used it for a day and its back in the box. I guess now is he time to sell.

That's amazing. See, unless the buyer is just buying it as a collectors type of item I don't understand it at all. I bought my current SNES a few weeks ago for about $55 with all of the cords, two controllers, and FF Quest. It's the same difference when people buy a sealed SNES game for hundreds who are wanting to hold onto it for collections sake. Why spend that much if you are just going to to play with it?

beanman25

A tip for everyone. I was trying to figure out how to fix the yellowing of my super metroid cart. I put a dab of skin so soft (some avon stuff, haha). It removed the yellow! The cart looks fantastic now!

Teknoman

A tip for everyone. I was trying to figure out how to fix the yellowing of my super metroid cart. I put a dab of skin so soft (some avon stuff, haha). It removed the yellow! The cart looks fantastic now!

Think this could work on systems? Doesnt sound like something people would have tried normally.

beanman25

Think this could work on systems? Doesnt sound like something people would have tried normally.

I could see it possibly working. My dad suggested it, no way I would have came up with it.

The bottle was really old, so I've got no clue if that matters.

It smells kind of weird for a bit, but that's no issue.

I could see it possibly working. My dad suggested it, no way I would have came up with it.

The bottle was really old, so I've got no clue if that matters.

It smells kind of weird for a bit, but that's no issue.

Interesting. I'm used to that smell, people smear that shit all over during the summer to supposedly fend off mosquitoes.

yep my copy was bought from blockbusters!

PM me your price if you're still selling it, I'll pass it on to someone I know.

IrishNinja

maaaan how is c4 (clearly the superior title) found on the cheap, but a loose cart of dracula x is a small fortune? theres no justice!

also whats the cheapest option for a good repo of Terranigma, i dont care about case & manual, just a cart i can save to

inner-G

Banned
Just raided the Mega Replay, don't be too jelly Hero_of_the_Day ;)

Can't believe they had Final Fight 3! Awesome for 2P. Mega Man Soccer is a good scoop too

Just raided the Mega Replay, don't be too jelly Hero_of_the_Day ;)

Can't believe they had Final Fight 3! Awesome for 2P. Mega Man Soccer is a good scoop too

Fuck! I really want Mega Man Soccer. That's actually one I've been hoping to find every time I go to a Replay store. Love the shit out of it. Glad it's price isn't as insane as MM7 or X2 & 3.

Parallacs

I've done some pretty major pickups from eBay lately.

I feel I got a little scammed on Mega Man X3. You all probably saw that one on eBay. The seller lied about the label being intact underneath, and the white part just being "residue". That part of the label is toast. But, I got it for $100, which is less than most carts with busted labels, and I was way too busy moving to talk to the seller about returns, so I can live with it.

I got X and X2 together. Weird how I have seen a ton of auctions that list them together. I paid $68 for both, and since I can turn X for $25, I will only be down $43 for X2.

FFII was $20 and was a pretty good deal. Once I finish Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Shadowrun, and Mario RPG, I'll get to it. :)

With Secret of Mana, Killer Instinct, and Mega Man X all coming in the mail, I think I need to stop looking at eBay. Money goes fast when you say to yourself it's just $20 or man I really I don't want this game but how can I pass at that price?

I've done some pretty major pickups from eBay lately.

I feel I got a little scammed on Mega Man X3. You all probably saw that one on eBay. The seller lied about the label being intact underneath, and the white part just being "residue". That part of the label is toast. But, I got it for $100, which is less than most carts with busted labels, and I was way too busy moving to talk to the seller about returns, so I can live with it.

I got X and X2 together. Weird how I have seen a ton of auctions that list them together. I paid $68 for both, and since I can turn X for $25, I will only be down $43 for X2.

FFII was $20 and was a pretty good deal. Once I finish Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Shadowrun, and Mario RPG, I'll get to it. :)

Hello

Olly88

With Secret of Mana, Killer Instinct, and Mega Man X all coming in the mail, I think I need to stop looking at eBay. Money goes fast when you say to yourself it's just $20 or man I really I don't want this game but how can I pass at that price?

Yeah it's been like that for me quite a bit. Once my copy of Mega Man X arrives I'll have quite a lot of the main games I've wanted for a while, apart from Legend of the Mystical Ninja. If I got that I'd finally be able to actually stop checking eBay shit loads of times every day.

inner-G

Banned
Yeah it's been like that for me quite a bit. Once my copy of Mega Man X arrives I'll have quite a lot of the main games I've wanted for a while, apart from Legend of the Mystical Ninja. If I got that I'd finally be able to actually stop checking eBay shit loads of times every day.
That's tough, its a carrot-stick thing. Right now I really want Super Metroid, but I know as soon as I get it there'll be something else I've gotta get.

The curse of the collector.

Olly88

That's tough, its a carrot-stick thing. Right now I really want Super Metroid, but I know as soon as I get it there'll be something else I've gotta get.

The curse of the collector.

Yeah that will probably happen with me too :p I have a list though, and looking at it Mystical Ninja is the only one on there that annoys me that I don't have. The others are just ones that I'll be interested in if I just come across them (Well, apart from Demon's Crest. I want that the most, but it's way too expensive for me).

I got a Wild Guns from eBay that was literally the most disgusting cart I've ever seen. The seller was full of shit on the auction and the cart didn't even work when I got it.

The entire board and inside of the cart looked like it had been soaked in maple syrup when I got it. Me and a friend had to completely disassemble the cart and scrub all the contacts on the board with some kind of chemical he had that's specifically for this kind of thing.

We got it to work in the end, but the original label and cart were toast. I stuck the board into a clean cart that I had and printed my own label, but it pisses me off so much. The label I printed looks so wrong compared to all my other games it makes me so mad every time I look at it.

Awesome game though. I wish I had gotten this all those years ago when it first came out. Teenage me had so much more free time to play these things.

I got a Wild Guns from eBay that was literally the most disgusting cart I've ever seen. The seller was full of shit on the auction and the cart didn't even work when I got it.

The entire board and inside of the cart looked like it had been soaked in maple syrup when I got it. Me and a friend had to completely disassemble the cart and scrub all the contacts on the board with some kind of chemical he had that's specifically for this kind of thing.

We got it to work in the end, but the original label and cart were toast. I stuck the board into a clean cart that I had and printed my own label, but it pisses me off so much. The label I printed looks so wrong compared to all my other games it makes me so mad every time I look at it.

I recently opened a few of my carts just to see if any of them needed cleaning before I replaced the batteries in a few of them (Namely Earthbound and Mario All-Stars). Everything seemed in pretty great condition... until I opened the copy of Breath of Fire I bought a few weeks ago.

Opened it up... and pretty much every bit of space not occupied by the board was absolutely littered with dead roaches. It was the grossest thing I've seen in a while. Got some rubber gloves along with a few other safety measures and cleaned the thing out. Far and away the most unpleasant thing I've had to do in a while. It'd be great if I never had to do that again.

Linkhero1

Just found me a copy of Sonic Wings complete for $7 at a local shop. Oh hells yes.

I recently opened a few of my carts just to see if any of them needed cleaning before I replaced the batteries in a few of them (Namely Earthbound and Mario All-Stars). Everything seemed in pretty great condition... until I opened the copy of Breath of Fire I bought a few weeks ago.

Opened it up... and pretty much every bit of space not occupied by the board was absolutely littered with dead roaches. It was the grossest thing I've seen in a while. Got some rubber gloves along with a few other safety measures and cleaned the thing out. Far and away the most unpleasant thing I've had to do in a while. It'd be great if I never had to do that again.

Holy shit. I'm afraid to open up my carts now.

cant dispute it?

If I hadn't been able to get it to run I would have, but it works now and I'm way too lazy to go through with disputing it and all that crap. I left him some really nasty feedback that dropped his eBay Seller rating to 92% so I feel a little better about it.

What. The. Fuck.

The worst I had was Simon's Quest. It just had like brown goop all around the cart. Shit was a bitch to clean, but everything worked fine and looked good after some scrubbing.

Olly88

How the hell do roaches get into a SNES cart? I can understand a console as there's the slot, but there are no gaps in a cartridge.

How the hell do roaches get into a SNES cart? I can understand a console as there's the slot, but there are no gaps in a cartridge.

I've been trying to figure that out myself. I'm guessing a small one (A baby one, maybe?) somehow got in there and laid eggs or something. That seems like the only rational explanation to me.

I'd like to believe that if by some chance, someone left the unscrewed cart out in the open long enough for it to be infested the way it was, they'd at least empty it out before resealing the cart.

beanman25

I have a favor to ask guys. I want to buy a SFC controller from Michan, but he is unable to accept Amazon payments. If someone could take Amazon payments and send him paypal that would be fantastic.

He said he would cover any of the fees incurred from this.

Thanks guys!!

Teknoman

So true. I would say maybe there needs to be an SNES game of the month to play, and not buy/whatever anything else until you finish that game...but then that might just make more search for said game lol.

EDIT: Man...i'm paranoid about my Dreamcast now. Totally unrelated, but I know something has crawled into the vents at one point or another >_> Would flip out if a spider or something ran out and on top of the system while I was playing (its right on my desk next to my monitor).

What. The. Fuck.

The worst I had was Simon's Quest. It just had like brown goop all around the cart. Shit was a bitch to clean, but everything worked fine and looked good after some scrubbing.

I ended up getting one of those cleaning kits from the Nintendo Repair Shop that was recommended earlier in the thread. I managed to salvage a bunch of non-working games.

Quick collector tip: Is there a site where I can get information about game releases? Particularly I am looking to find out what exactly came in each game box (flyers, posters, etc) besides the game manual.

Now I'm shaking my carts and super paranoid they're infested with insects. Thanks, GAF, thanks a lot.

Now I am thinking I should stick to cd-based consoles for game collecting. Argh.

This weekend I opened and cleaned 30+ NES carts. I'm glad I didn't read this beforehand because I'd have been antsy about it lol.

Linkhero1

I'm kind of scared to open any game now. I have several N64 games that stopped working all of the sudden and the pins aren't corroded. I'm assuming there's something going on inside the cart. -_-

Top Bottom