• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I'm kind of scared to open any game now. I have several N64 games that stopped working all of the sudden and the pins aren't corroded. I'm assuming there's something going on inside the cart. -_-

On one of last years Bombcasts Patrick Klepek was recalling how he found a fucking huge spider and eggs in one of his MVS carts :/

Why would God punish us like this? Why?

Linkhero1

On one of last years Bombcasts Patrick Klepek was recalling how he found a fucking huge spider and eggs in one of his MVS carts :/

Why would God punish us like this? Why?

Fuck that. I'm about to torch these games. I'm really starting to believe that there may be spiders in my games.

I'm kind of scared to open any game now. I have several N64 games that stopped working all of the sudden and the pins aren't corroded. I'm assuming there's something going on inside the cart. -_-

It seems more likely that your N64 is the problem, but I'll do you a solid and hold on to any games you're concerned may have bugs in them.

Linkhero1

It seems more likely that your N64 is the problem, but I'll do you a solid and hold on to any games you're concerned may have bugs in them.

I've got two N64s and several games don't work. All my other games work perfectly.

If I did hand over all the games that potentially have bugs in them then I wouldn't have any games left :p

It's probably just Raccoons, man, relax.

Only one way to find out.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Just found a BIN for all 6 Japanese Rockman SFC games for $130. It's my birthday, so happy birthday to me I guess.

I now I have a US copy of Mega Man X I can trade for other stuff!

After being out of town for two weeks visiting family, I came home to a nice stash of stuff that had arrived while gone:

hnBZQra.jpg

That weird seeming ebay seller from like a month ago came through, CIB SFC Chrono Trigger for $15 makes me pretty happy. Got a box protector ordered for it as well. Never played any of the three repros, so pretty excited for some new RPGS.

Including shipping? If so you're tempting me into looking for a copy myself.

Yep: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251229965699?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 .

He had a few things for $15 shipped like a month ago, but his paypal wasn't working right and he doesn't have the best feedback (seems like he has a habit of cancelling orders sometimes). I told him I wouldn't pay until he got his paypal worked out and correctly tied to his ebay account. All worked out in the end.

Now I feel bad about making everyone paranoid ._.

Got Aladdin for $10 today, on a lighter note. F-Zero and Magical Quest 1 are next on my list. They seem pretty cheap new, so I might actually get them CIB!

So what? If it sells, then that's another story.

The title/description combo

Okay so I've been trying to beat this game for around 12 years now. Still have not succeeded. So I'm deciding to let it go to someone that can appreciate not only the game but the history in it. This game belonged to my Dad and he passed it down to my sister and I. It's not in the ORIGINAL case, but it is literally in perfect condition due to me keeping it in another case. No defects, no scratches, no scrapes, no damage at all. I'm a bit of a video game freak and I've taken care of all of my games very well.

I want to buy a sealed F-Zero since they're so cheap but I really want to know how I can tell if it was factory sealed or just resealed. Is there something I'm looking for to verify if I'm going to get a factory-sealed copy?

That said, would it be safe to buy it from Amazon? Free fast shipping and all (I have Prime), but I'm wary that I can't see what I'm getting at all.

I want to buy a sealed F-Zero since they're so cheap but I really want to know how I can tell if it was factory sealed or just resealed. Is there something I'm looking for to verify if I'm going to get a factory-sealed copy?

I believe the factory sealed ones have a vertical seam along the back of the boxes.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

itll be a players choice version so the thing that says super nintendo on the bottom right will be gold instead of red

-KRS-

Ok this might not be exactly on topic, but I got my SD2SNES today! Holy shit this thing is fucking awesome. Feels very well put together. Very sturdy. Loaded up some games on the SD card and tried it out. Works perfectly. Just wonderful. There's even an SPC player in the menu, so I've basically filled the card mostly with .spcs now since I like listening to game music on real hardware. I have a hard time thinking of SNES games with awesome music though for some reason, except for the Mega Man games and Earthbound I guess. Any suggestions?

I tried that SMW hack "Super Mario Oddysey" with MSU-1 audio. Pretty crazy hearing such good audio from the SNES, even though it's cheating a little. I hope the MSU-1 "chip" gets used in more romhacks in the future because it's really cool. This was only a demo so there's only one level I think. But I see the potential.

Also tried some BS-X games which worked great, though I couldn't get BS Zelda to work properly. Are there any must-play BS-X games?

And are there any good romhacks you guys can recommend? There's like a billion SMW hacks, but I have no idea which ones are actually worth the time.

Sorry for asking so many questions. I feel like a SNES noob all of a sudden!

Now to mod my PAL SNES so I can play in glorious 60hz.

plc268

The title/description combo

I'm still not getting what you're trying to say.

It's an inexperienced ebay seller who doesn't realize they're not advertising the game correctly, and a seller that overpriced the game (although they lowered it). It's not really noteworthy unless they put a stupid low price on it.

I've had auctions go for real low prices because the seller didn't even list the titles in the posting, but they had a low initial price anyway.

I'm still not getting what you're trying to say.

It's an inexperienced ebay seller who doesn't realize they're not advertising the game correctly, and a seller that overpriced the game (although they lowered it). It's not really noteworthy unless they put a stupid low price on it.

I've had auctions go for real low prices because the seller didn't even list the titles in the posting, but they had a low initial price anyway.

Lighten up. A couple of us got a laugh out of it, so it was "noteworthy". It's not like we have limited thread space to work with that was wasted or something.

IrishNinja

maaaan how is c4 (clearly the superior title) found on the cheap, but a loose cart of dracula x is a small fortune? theres no justice!

also whats the cheapest option for a good repo of Terranigma, i dont care about case & manual, just a cart i can save to

stll wondering about these things! well, specifically the last bit

ant1532

Banned
Her's my copy of Megaman X3 if anyone is interested. PM away

JXSXC25.jpg

seems like somewhere down the line someone ripped of the blockbuster tag on the top unsuccessfully.

plc268

Lighten up. A couple of us got a laugh out of it, so it was "noteworthy". It's not like we have limited thread space to work with that was wasted or something.

I'm fine. I'm just trying to figure out what was so interesting about it.

I didn't mean to be rude about it. But then again, I just come off as being blunt sometimes.

Her's my copy of Megaman X3 if anyone is interested. PM away

JXSXC25.jpg

seems like somewhere down the line someone ripped of the blockbuster tag on the top unsuccessfully.

Another poor torn up Megaman...

Someone needs to start a gallery of all the defaced mega mans.

GulAtiCa

Wow! My repros came fast, and in good quality. And thus I am no longer waiting for anything in the mail.

Legend of Zelda: Parallel Worlds
Legend of Zelda: Goddess of Wisdom
Super Mario World: Return to Dinosaur Land

oatmeal

Banned
Wow! My repros came fast, and in good quality. And thus I am no longer waiting for anything in the mail.

Whoa, that's rad.

how does that work? Can you save in Zelda?

How are they supposed to be? Prices?

Sushigod7

Awesome did you get them from OCD? Would love to get the Zelda's.

stll wondering about these things! well, specifically the last bit

I don't get why Dracula X is so expensive either. C4 is indeed far superior.

http://www.ocdreproductions.com/ is the cheapest place I know of to get reproductions. They are temporarily closed to catch up on orders (as you will see when you follow that link). They have done this before, they weren't closed for too long. They take a couple weeks to fulfill orders, but they do good work and are a good $10 cheaper than anywhere else. They also have bulk special where you can get four $50 carts for $180 if you have the cash for that. Regardless, their prices are good any way.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
My local retro shop, which is usually above eBay prices for everything, had Power Rangers for $9 and Brain Lord for $10 today, so I bought them. Fun SNES day.

After being out of town for two weeks visiting family, I came home to a nice stash of stuff that had arrived while gone:

hnBZQra.jpg

That weird seeming ebay seller from like a month ago came through, CIB SFC Chrono Trigger for $15 makes me pretty happy. Got a box protector ordered for it as well. Never played any of the three repros, so pretty excited for some new RPGS.

I bought lagoon for 100 yen recently after being curious why I had barely heard about it since the launch of the Super NES. While I appreciate it as an Ys clone, it really is one of the worst games in the genre I have ever played.

lupin23rd

I bought lagoon for 100 yen recently after being curious why I had barely heard about it since the launch of the Super NES. While I appreciate it as an Ys clone, it really is one of the worst games in the genre I have ever played.

I bought it yesterday (boxed) for 1000 yen, was one of the first games I played back when I was a kid and got my SNES so I wanted some nostalgia.

Re: Brain Lord, is it just me or is the cover art on that hideously awful? I saw the Japanese box art recently and couldn't believe it was the same game.

Re: Brain Lord, is it just me or is the cover art on that hideously awful? I saw the Japanese box art recently and couldn't believe it was the same game.
It's the exact opposite for me: I've been interested in the game since seeing the awesome ad (basically an oversized version of the image on the box) in EGM back in 1994. I finally purchased the cart several years back. It's a mediocre title filled with overlong/tedious dungeons... but at least the cover art rocks! ;)

Beatrix

Getting Mega Man X2 for $80. Getting X3 sometime but I want to get X4-7 again. Wish I never gave/trade/lost any of my games. :(

I realized this weekend that I no longer have the endurance and free time a lagoon playthrough would require. probably just going to watch a tas on youtube.

Is it me or has Link to the Past game only drastically increased in price on eBay over the last couple of weeks. Now it's $25-30 BIN whereas I remember it being significantly lower recently. Why is SMW So much less than LttP?

Is it me or has Link to the Past game only drastically increased in price on eBay over the last couple of weeks. Now it's $25-30 BIN whereas I remember it being significantly lower recently. Why is SMW So much less than LttP?

Because there's literally 20 million Super Mario World carts floating around out there.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
No it's not rare, but it's uncommon enough that there's more demand for it than supply at the moment. SNES stuff is red hot right now. Prices for Zelda will come back down again once it cools off a bit.

When is that gonna happen? :(

When is that gonna happen? :(

Haha! It could be this summer, it could be years from now.

Zelda 3 should not be able to sustain it's value indefinitely because it sold over a million units in North America alone.

I remember a couple of years ago, you couldn't get Final Fantasy VII for less than 60 bucks, which is insaaaaaane. But eventually prices dipped back to normal levels again. I mean, there's just so many copies of it floating around, it was just inevitable.

As for the rare games like Hagane and Wild Guns? No, those are expensive to stay, they're not gonna go back down ever again. :(

GulAtiCa

Started playing Super Mario World: Return to Dinosaur Island (homebrew) last night. Pretty fun, though currently stuck on wiggler 1 level.

btw: I got mine from http://www.retrostage.net/ I found them the cheapest for the games I was buying. Other sites will prob be cheaper then their repros though outside the 3 I bought.

I sold an extra copy of LttP I had back in December (10th to be exact) for $26 shipped. So it hasn't gone up much.

Top Bottom