• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Robin64

Do i need to hold reset every time i need to connect the snes to my computer for transfer new games or this is just for the first time?

Just the first time.

How do i do that? Creating a txt with notepad++ and erasing the .txt extension in the windows folder is enough or there is another way?

Yes, that will work.

In that new file i should jump to line 2 pressing enter and paste the code?
I don't want to mess up this.

Your file should look like this:

xnXhQuf.png

Dimentios

Do i need to hold reset every time i need to connect the snes to my computer for transfer new games or this is just for the first time?
No, just connect it via cable and turn it on.

How do i do that? Creating a txt with notepad++ and erasing the .txt extension in the windows folder is enough or there is another way?
Just save it under "all filetypes". It is the topmost option.

In that new file i should jump to line 2 pressing enter and paste the code?
I don't want to mess up this.
Enter the code and THEN press Enter.

Edit: Too slow. Time to sleep. Bai bai.

The Third Heat

Neo Member
I did everything right with the kernel dumping and custom flashing via Virtualbox.

I get all the way to the message about adding games, but it I can't do it.

I click the "synchronize select games" and I get the "waiting for your NES/SNES mini" box pops up.

1. Connect your NES/SNES Mini to the PC via USB cable. (it already was)
2. Turn it On. (it booted automatically while uploading the custom kernel)
3. Install Driver if it't not installed yet. (I just did that before)

Any idea what to do?

I had this issue with VirtualBox as well and I had to go into the VM settings in VirtualBox and add the SNES under Ports>USB>USB Device Filters for it to work. Just click the little USB icon with the green plus to the right of the big white box and add the SNES when it's plugged in and turned on. Then reboot the VM and try again in Hakchi. That's what did it for me.

Robin64

No, European.

Okay, let's troubleshoot a bit here.

Plug it in to your PC using the original cable, hold reset, turn it on, keep holding reset for 10 seconds, then let go.

Now to go Kernel menu in hakchi and pick Uninstall at the bottom. What happens?

LOUD915

Thanks.

I put the original kernel back on.

I'm going to try on a whole new Mac.

Start from scratch totally.

Very weird. Maybe its the USB ports or something

I'lll post results shortly.

Trying Windows 10 as the few times I tried in Window 7 were not successful.

I got the kernel loaded, but I could never sync the games.

LOUD915

I had this issue with VirtualBox as well and I had to go into the VM settings in VirtualBox and add the SNES under Ports>USB>USB Device Filters for it to work. Just click the little USB icon with the green plus to the right of the big white box and add the SNES when it's plugged in and turned on. Then reboot the VM and try again in Hakchi. That's what did it for me.

Tried that already with no luck.

I'm giving Windows 10 a shot and if that doesn't work, I'll try 7 again.

Man this is annoying.

EoinOL

Okay, let's troubleshoot a bit here.

Plug it in to your PC using the original cable, hold reset, turn it on, keep holding reset for 10 seconds, then let go.

Now to go Kernel menu in hakchi and pick Uninstall at the bottom. What happens?

It doesn't say Uninstall. It offers to install the driver, which fails with an error saying that the NES Mini can't be found. I'm unsure why it thinks that the driver isn't installed.

hivycox

I have a sound issue with Plok. After starting the game everytime the music has a loud bass it cracks. It must be a problem with the game/SNESC but I couldn't find anything yet.

Does someone else have this problem too?

Weird question maybe buy has anyone tried Rondo of Blood (TG16 version) via retroarch on here? I was going to settle for Dracula X but I'd rather just get Rondo on here.

Robin64

I have a sound issue with Plok. After starting the game everytime the music has a loud bass it cracks. It must be a problem with the game/SNESC but I couldn't find anything yet.

Does someone else have this problem too?

Turn down the volume in the command line part of hakchi for that game. You'll see it's set to 100 right now, try 85 or something.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If i rip a japanese game using the retrode should i be able to play it fine through emulation on this thing?

Seik

Banned
Weird question maybe buy has anyone tried Rondo of Blood (TG16 version) via retroarch on here? I was going to settle for Dracula X but I'd rather just get Rondo on here.

The music tracks alone would be too much for the little space the SNES have.

Yukinari

I installed the retroarch module but how do i make it work properly?

It says add the command --retroarch to the command line for the game but the game doesnt start up it just goes back to the main menu.

Got it just about perfect now.

Maybe I will mess with box arts and stuff now. I need to find out how to get US box art for DQV & VI.

Until then I won’t sync them.

Is there a template somewhere? If so could someone link to it?

Robin, quick question:

I uninstalled my original kernel and updated my version of hakchi then flashed customer kernel, but my original user profile seems to be gone. None of the games I had previously added are there anymore.

Robin64

If i rip a japanese game using the retrode should i be able to play it fine through emulation on this thing?

Should work fine, save for the few games that don't.

Robin, quick question:

I uninstalled my original kernel and updated my version of hakchi then flashed customer kernel, but my original user profile seems to be gone. None of the games I had previously added are there anymore.

Did you use the webinstaller? That makes everything work in Documents folders, where the plain files of hakchi (like the prerelease ones) all work in the hakchi folder itself.

(web installer is the devil)

Should work fine, save for the few games that don't.

Did you use the webinstaller? That makes everything work in Documents folders, where the plain files of hakchi (like the prerelease ones) all work in the hakchi folder itself.

(web installer is the devil)

I may have, not sure - any way to fix this?

Reich

Maybe I will mess with box arts and stuff now. I need to find out how to get US box art for DQV & VI.

Did you uninsitall kermal?

If yes, what is the next step?

Lettuce

Whats the reason for a C7 error, i added a handful of games to test initally and everything worked fine ive now added a total of 58 games and now whenever i load a game i get the C7 error message. Do i need to select a certain file/folder type?

Here's something pretty neat. You can use --decorative-frame-hue as a global option in hakchi to enable the color change effect on all borders.

--decorative-frame-luminosity and --decorative-frame-saturation are also hidden options that work, but the effect is a little weak. I don't see any downside at all to leaving --decorative-frame-luminosity on all the time, because it adjusts the brightness of the frame (very, very slightly) to match the brightness of the game.

OmegaDL50

I working on it.

Give a couple of minutes and I'll have something made up for you.

radcliff

It's a command line switch on the NES classic, per game, to do scan lines only no CRT blur. Last I did mine anyway.

Correct, adding "--enable-crt-scanlines" to the end of the command line argument added scanlines to 4:3 and pixel perfect modes while CRT mode was unaffected. Not sure if this works on SNESCE as I haven't modded mine yet.

So Seiken Denstesu 3 works but has blurry text? No problem with chrono trigger, Lufia 2 or sim city?

Now I see star ocean doesn’t work (expected) mega man x2 does not work (expected) but tales of phantasia doesn’t work... little disappointed at that one.

And apparently terranigma only works via retroarch, which is kinda lame but I guess I should have expected that...

MattyH

So Seiken Denstesu 3 works but has blurry text? No problem with chrono trigger, Lufia 2 or sim city?

Now I see star ocean doesn’t work (expected) mega man x2 does not work (expected) but tales of phantasia doesn’t work... little disappointed at that one.

And apparently terranigma only works via retroarch, which is kinda lame but I guess I should have expected that...

Sim city works fine

Hallowed

Can anyone please help - Snes and GBA added games work fine, but for the life of me I can't get the Sega Genesis games to work. I try to start a game, it goes black for a second, then just goes back to the game select screen. This happens with every Sega Genesis game I try.

radcliff

So with this we can get scanlines without blur?
Am I correct?

If it works the same as NESCE, then yes. I haven't modded my SNESCE yet, though. Also, please note the typo, the command line argument is obviously scanlines and not scnalines. I edited my OP

hivycox

Turn down the volume in the command line part of hakchi for that game. You'll see it's set to 100 right now, try 85 or something.

Unfortunately I didn't solve the problem. It still has those cracks when the bass kicks in.
Thank you for the suggestion though!

-TK-

Megaman X2 should work perfectly fine. Just finished it.

Top Bottom