• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sniper Elite V2 |OT| Throwin' Rocks, Shootin' Cocks

5C5pO.jpg

Publisher
505 Games

Developer
Rebellion

Platforms

Xbox 360, PS3, PC (Steamworks)

Release Date

North America: May 1st, 2012

Europe: May 4th, 2012

Synopsis

As the nightmare of the Second World War draws to a close, the Cold War is just beginning...

Sniper Elite V2 takes place during the chaotic final days of the war in Europe. Karl Fairburne is an OSS Agent that has been inserted into a pulverised Berlin. His job is to kill or capture key German scientists whose knowledge and research will be key to achieving post-war dominance. Up against Soviet and German opposition, Karl will constantly be outnumbered and outgunned, so it's a good thing he's handy with a rifle...

Features

Advanced Sniping Simulation
Sniper Elite V2 features detailed sniping simulation with advanced ballistics, taking into account gravity, wind, velocity, bullet penetration, aim stability and more. Guaranteed to provide players with the most realistic simulation of military sharpshooting yet available.

Devestating X-Ray Kill-cam
Amazing "kill cam" technology showcaseswhat really happens when a bulletenters an enemy’s body, allowingplayers to see hearts and lungs tear,livers burst, bones and teethshatter, and entrails fall out.
Also, you can shoot people in the balls, lol.

WW2 Authenticity
The game features authentic World War II Berlin locations as well as vehicles, weapons such as the Springfield M1903, the Gewehr 43 and the Mosin-Nagant 1891/30, and uniforms modeled after the original versions.

Sniper's Choice
Players will often find themselves facing a choice of the perfect shot that leaves them catastrophically exposed or a more difficult route that means they can continue their mission.

Co-Op Multiplayer
Four thrilling modes to snipe through online with another player.

Kill Tally – As waves of enemies storm in players must race against the clock to eliminate as many as possible in order to achieve the highest possible kill count.

Bombing Run – Gamers must escape a scheduled bombing run but the only getaway vehicle is broken. Before the bombs fall, the area must be searched for parts and fuel while remaining unseen.

Overwatch – Players combine separate skillsets as a sniper and an operative and work in tandem to take out enemies.

Campaign – Play through the single-player campaign with a friend.

Team Deathmatch (Exclusive to the PC Version)
12-Player competitive multiplayer. Exclusive to the PC due to it publisher-related issues, while the PC version is self-published by Rebellion.

Trailers

Official Trailer #1
Official Trailer #2
Co-op Demo
Killcam of the Week #1
Killcam of the Week #2
Killcam of the Week #3
Killcam of the Week #4
Killcam of the Week #5
Gameplay: Schönberg Convoy
Gameplay: Flak Tower
Launch Trailer

Screenshots

Demo

Available on:
Xbox Live
PSN
Steam

The demo is quite linear, but according to the developers, the game does open up afterwards:

Rebellion said:
"[The] demo was definitely finalised before the main game was finished so tweaking continued afterwards. The level is also the first (after the tutorial) so [we] tried to keep it relatively straightforward as an introduction, but still with an amount of choice."

"For sure, the next level you are presented with a massive space right from the get go to navigate through."

Reviews

Edge 4/10 (Appears to be console version reviewed)
Youviews 9/10 (PC)
Videogamer.com 6/10 (360)
CVG 6.3/10 (PS3)
Game Informer 8.25/10
OXM 7.5/10 (360)
OPM 7/10 (PS3)
Gamespot 6/10
Telegraph 3/5 (360)
Guardian 3/5 (360)
Gamesradar 8/10

Pre-order Bonus/DLC

Assassinate the Führer!!!
DLC trailer

History can be changed with a single bullet... Pre-orders come with this extra mission, in which you get to put holes into a digital representation of the most hated man in history.
No confirmation yet as to whether or not he lacks a ball.

Additionally, pre-ordered copies grant you with two extra rifles, the Soviet SVT-40 and the German Kar-98. Thankfully, it seems like there's no retailer exclusive fuckwittery for once.

System Requirements
Steam said:
OS: Microsoft® Windows® Vista (Service Pack 2) or Windows® 7 (Windows® XP is NOT supported)
Processor: Dual-core CPU with SSE3 (Intel® Pentium® D 3GHz / AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4200) or better
Memory: 2GB system memory
Hard Disk Space: 10GB of free drive space
Video Card: Microsoft® DirectX® 10.0 compatible graphics card with 256 MB of memory (NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 series / ATI Radeon™ HD 3870) or better
Sound: Microsoft® DirectX® 10.0 compatible sound card or better
DirectX®: Microsoft® DirectX® 11.0

Other threads

Demo Impressions thread
Killcam trailers thread
Announcement trailer thread

Additional stuff

Credit goes to Cday for the OT name.

First OT, go easy on me GAF!

Please correct me if I was wrong about the pre-order stuff.

zkylon

zkylewd
Demo was pretty cool, but sounded like it could get old/frustrating fast.

Why is Karl shooting at russian soldiers?

DrBo42

Simple and clean |OT|, well done. As for the game, I hope it's more open than the demo and doesn't get old after 2 hours.

Demo was pretty cool, but sounded like it could get old/frustrating fast.

Why is Karl shooting at russian soldiers?

From playing the first one, it plays out that he's on an ubersecret mission to rescue or take out Nazi scientists and equipment related to the V2 rocket program as well as the Nazi nuclear program. The Soviets were indeed keen on obtaining this knowledge, this is believed to be one of the key reasons why they raced for Berlin, which did result in them moving their own missile and nuclear programmes forward.

In reality the US government secretly smuggled many German scientists and their families to the US to work on missile research, although I don't think it involved an American sniper shooting people in the face.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think at some point he has to prevent both sides from gaining access to working V2 tech.

From playing the first one, it plays out that he's on an ubersecret mission to rescue or take out Nazi scientists and equipment related to the V2 rocket program as well as the Nazi nuclear program. The Soviets were indeed keen on obtaining this knowledge, this is believed to be one of the key reasons why they raced for Berlin, which did result in them moving their own missile and nuclear programmes forward.

In reality the US government secretly smuggled many German scientists and their families to the US to work on missile research, although I don't think it involved an American sniper shooting people in the face.
Hmm, interesting. Thanks.

Tried the demo out on PS3. The sniping and killcam make the kills satisfying. Movement feels a little clunky but not gamebreaking. I'll agree the linearity of the demo level really limits you to just a shooting gallery. Nothing about it really felt difficult, hard to get killed especially since the AI is pretty lackluster. Overall though it was fun but unpolished. I would pay $30 max for this game assuming the levels open up and the co-op really adds a new dimension.

Tried the demo out on PS3. The sniping and killcam make the kills satisfying. Movement feels a little clunky but not gamebreaking. I'll agree the linearity of the demo level really limits you to just a shooting gallery. Nothing about it really felt difficult, hard to get killed especially since the AI is pretty lackluster. Overall though it was fun but unpolished. I would pay $30 max for this game assuming the levels open up and the co-op really adds a new dimension.

According to the devs, the Demo was the first part of the game after the tutorial, and that was part of the reason it was so linear. The first game had some huge environments with multiple, often non-linear objectives, so hopefully this one will be the same.

I might add this to the OT, provided I can find the dev statement.

Dragnet

Did you play it on Sniper Elite, with assists and whatnot off? It becomes more challenging then. Remember this is a Sniper game where you're not getting shot at 24/7 like a CoD anyway, so there will naturally be less of a constant challenge. I guess the challenge comes in not being seen? And reports from a few people who have the game early says the AI is improved from the demo too which is good. Laying down in the middle of the road in plain sight when your buddy gets shot is not good AI!

Card Boy

Banned
That Hitler DLC & guns being locked away for pre-orders is pure bullshit. I'm waiting till this is $5 on Steam.

No way i'm supporting this anti-consumer crap at full price.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sucks that there is a pre-order mission. :/

I'm going to wait until I see some youtube videos about the "stealth" aspect of the game, because the demo on Sniper Elite was mostly frustrating with the opening bit where you can take one dude down. Take a sniper down and suddenly have five people gunning for you when your gunshot shouldn't have been heard nor their death. :/

That Hitler DLC & guns being locked away for pre-orders is pure bullshit. I'm waiting till this is $5 on Steam.

No way i'm supporting this anti-consumer crap at full price.

Yeah, it's bullshit, and I don't support it, but at least it isn't tied down to one retailer (here in the UK), which is a step in the right direction.

Sucks that there is a pre-order mission. :/

I'm going to wait until I see some youtube videos about the "stealth" aspect of the game, because the demo on Sniper Elite was mostly frustrating with the opening bit where you can take one dude down. Take a sniper down and suddenly have five people gunning for you when your gunshot shouldn't have been heard nor their death. :/

If it's like the first game, you can't stealth your way through everything, but stealth does play a role. Usually, you could sneak around, scoping things out, and take out an isolated guard or two silently. Then you'd find a good position, cover your flanks with booby traps, and take a shot, and all hell suddenly breaks loose.

If they pull off that same sort of payoff this time around, I'll be really happy.

My first kill in the demo was a testicle shot, it looks extremely painful. Sold me on the game come sale time. Too many games right now.

A kind of pot, I believe.

Demo turned me off due to its highly linear nature. If I hear it really does open up after that I'll be much more interested.

The game does open up according to the developers.
Here are 2 extended gameplay videos, OP might want to add t them just in case.
This first video shows more of the demo level, here you can see the the player doing a silent kill by approaching the enemy and doing a "head snap". So this pretty much confirms "stealth gameplay/kills"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ6C1zeZSSQ&feature=player_embedded

This video is from another level from the single player campaign showcasing a more open level and the famous "Flak Towers" that the Nazi build in Berlin, it might contain some light spoiler form the mission objective's level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61yl4WmJLzg

Anyway, I pre-ordered the game and I really have high hopes for this one, so far so good.

The game does open up according to the developers.
Here are 2 extended gameplay videos, OP might want to add t them just in case.
This first video shows more of the demo level, here you can see the the player doing a silent kill by approaching the enemy and doing a "head snap". So this pretty much confirms "stealth gameplay/kills"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ6C1zeZSSQ&feature=player_embedded

This video is from another level from the single player campaign showcasing a more open level and the famous "Flak Towers" that the Nazi build in Berlin, it might contain some light spoiler form the mission objective's level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61yl4WmJLzg

Anyway, I pre-ordered the game and I really have high hopes for this one, so far so good.

Added, cheers.

Also, I'd like to apologise for the relatively late OT. I didn't realise that the game was coming out earlier stateside, for some reason I assumed it was the other way round for once. Additionally, I forgot about my exam timetable when I volunteered. :p

newsguy

I cant believe people think x-ray kills can get old. I played the demo 20 times and couldn't get enough of it. I also found many creative ways to get around enemies over time. Had no idea pre order bonus was a kill Hitler mission, pretty cool.

Did you play it on Sniper Elite, with assists and whatnot off? It becomes more challenging then. Remember this is a Sniper game where you're not getting shot at 24/7 like a CoD anyway, so there will naturally be less of a constant challenge. I guess the challenge comes in not being seen? And reports from a few people who have the game early says the AI is improved from the demo too which is good. Laying down in the middle of the road in plain sight when your buddy gets shot is not good AI!

Yeah I was on elite. I guess it was just the inability for them to find a path to flank me and I only had to watch one direction. If there were more enemies to overwhelm me then I could be sold on that. I'm remaining optimistic on the retail version. My eye will be on some youtube reviews day one.

Demon Ice

Banned
Making the kill Hitler mission DLC is a stroke of genius. So many people are gonna buy that, if only because it feels wrong NOT to. Well played, 505 Games.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Rebellion making a decent game finally is that possible ? lol

ArjanN

They already made several decent games, so yes.

I honestly don't understand why people should be punished because they want to buy the game at a later date. I simply don't get it.

Really? Because it's pretty obvious.

If everyone waits until bomba price, they don't make enough money to stay in business, so they incentivize day one sales.

If the game goes into that much detail I will be laughing my ass off. It kind of seems like the whole ball shot detail of the x-ray mechanic might be designed with that as a punchline, if so awesome.

Rebellion are British, so they MUST know the song. It's too good an opportunity to pass up.

Any good deals on this? (Euro retail or DD) GGG is apparently $ 30 but I can't get them to display the price in $ so all I get is € 30.

AvP series, the original Sniper Elite, Rogue Trooper, yeah it's possible.

red731

Me and my friends were dying in laughter when we were playing the demo aka shoot your nazi.
Will wait for steam sale.

ArjanN

I don't support locked away content and pre-order DLC so I guess they lost 1 person to a bomba price.

Well, that's fine and all, but you are vastly outnumbered by the people who will pick it up earlier because of the pre-order DLC.

Which means it makes financial sense for them to do it. But I already assumed you didn't literally mean you didn't understand why they do it.

now the only question I have is get it on steam or on xbox......

Steam, I'd say. PC version looks better and is the only version that has the deathmatch mode. (because they're self-publishing on PC, I think the PC version is also likely to get better post-release support.)

For a game centered this much around aiming the mouse controls are also preferred IMO.

The only argument for xbox over steam is if you really want to play the co-op with a friend who has the game on xbox.

SparkTR

now the only question I have is get it on steam or on xbox......

For this particular title I'd recommend Steam. It's the only version with competitive multiplayer, it has much nicer visuals than the console versions (judging from the demo) and it's only $30.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Any good deals on this? (Euro retail or DD) GGG is apparently $ 30 but I can't get them to display the price in $ so all I get is € 30.

AvP series, the original Sniper Elite, Rogue Trooper, yeah it's possible.

yeah i know they have made good games just recently everyone has said they went very down hill especially with the last avp game from what ive read here and everywhere lol

yeah i know they have made good games just recently everyone has said they went very down hill especially with the last avp game from what ive read here and everywhere lol

I believe they also worked on Battlefront 3 at some point, in some capacity. Apparently one of the Rebeliion-developed PSP Battlefront games is based off some of the groundwork that went into their version of Battlefront 3.

Top Bottom