• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sniper Elite V2 |OT| Throwin' Rocks, Shootin' Cocks

Just bought it. At $30 it's not too steep of a purchase. Though I've never used GGG before. Do they essentially E-mail you the codes day of the release or day before?

Also kinda sucks that on GGG it says not released until the 4th, if I'm reading the date right as I believe europe switches the day/months when they type them out. If true that's kinda a bummer that we'll have to wait a few days though that absolutely trumps having to spend the extra money.

If the game goes into that much detail I will be laughing my ass off. It kind of seems like the whole ball shot detail of the x-ray mechanic might be designed with that as a punchline, if so awesome.
I read somewhere (Rebellion forums, maybe?) that they wanted to put the Kill Hitler mission in the first game and give him one testicle but it didn't happen for whatever reason, so they brought back the idea for V2. Unless something has changed in their idea for the mission, then you can expect one testicle Hitler as intended.

Also kinda sucks that on GGG it says not released until the 4th, if I'm reading the date right as I believe europe switches the day/months when they type them out. If true that's kinda a bummer that we'll have to wait a few days though that absolutely trumps having to spend the extra money.
Shit, I didn't even realize that. Damn. So much for sniping tonight. :(

I read somewhere (Rebellion forums, maybe?) that they wanted to put the Kill Hitler mission in the first game and give him one testicle but it didn't happen for whatever reason, so they brought back the idea for V2. Unless something has changed in their idea for the mission, then you can expect one testicle Hitler as intended.

This game would honestly go in my top 5 for the year if they did that, even if the rest of the game is middling.

ArjanN

No, America is the one that displays the dates wrong. In Europe it's day-month-year which actually makes sense. /eurosnob

4th and 5th of may are remembrance / liberation day in the Netherlands, which is interesting timing.

This game would honestly go in my top 5 for the year if they did that, even if the rest of the game is middling.

Haha, that would be pretty amazing yeah.

RS4-

Oh man, felt so good going through the whole Saving Private Ryan - Enemy at the Gates - Sniper kind of feeling.

One shot, two kills and shooting someones eye out through their own scope.

Does anyone know if review copies even went out on this game?

I asked the developers on twitter about it, all I got was a "We will let you know as soon as the reviews are up" I don't understand why they are so secretive about it.
The game releases tomorrow and the rebellion community manager just posted that they are in communications with steam to figure out why the game is not pre-loading yet.
So I don't know, I guess reviews are going up tomorrow along with the game release, personally I don't like it when when review embargoes are up the same day as the release day, it rubs me the wrong way.

I wish Amazon was doing release day delivery on this. I'm too cheap to pay more than $1 to get it early and free shipping has it coming the 8th.

Sethos

Banned
And Friday is a national holiday around here, can't get any better! Can't wait for a co-op weekend with my friend.

Sounds like the whole release has been a bit of a mess. I suppose it is a budget game, at the end of the day, although the demo has probably done wonders for it's profile. My little brother, a 16-year old who largely plays COD and FIFA, with occasional round of Battlefield, Gears and other 360 games sprinkled in there, was pretty interested in this after the demo.

RoylAsult

think this game will drop down in price? i really like the demo and i want it but im not sure if i want to spend 50 on it on release day but i want the hitler DLC... what to do :(

ksdixon

Surfed-to the demo thread via bookmark, didn't notice there was an OT now, so I'll re-ask here:

PC version of the demo is awesome, it's much better aiming with the mouse than it is with the L/R sticks on 360. The only problem is that I'm literally cramping my fingers and hand into weird positions, frequently pressing the wrong key and performing the wrong action.

Does anyone have any suggestions for better control bindings for the left hand?

Does amazon UK pre order include the DLC? I don't see it on the Sniper Elite V2 page, so I'm assuming it doesn't. :/ I've already pre ordered it from there, but I'm tempted to cancel and use Steam. I would like that DLC, but I would also prefer disc based version...

Anyone else in this predicament?

think this game will drop down in price? i really like the demo and i want it but im not sure if i want to spend 50 on it on release day but i want the hitler DLC... what to do :(

This is the EXACT same dilemma I find myself in. I really enjoyed the demo...but I don't know if it's enough to hold my interest for an entire game at full price. But I want that DLC!

Decisions, decisions...

RoylAsult

i just ordered this from amazon for 34 with the help of some credit, i liked the demo a lot and it just convinced.

ugh this sucks lol, hope its a great game and i dont regret this at all.

This is the EXACT same dilemma I find myself in. I really enjoyed the demo...but I don't know if it's enough to hold my interest for an entire game at full price. But I want that DLC!

Decisions, decisions...

The devs have said the demo was a tutorial level and that the levels after are more open plan (the thing that made the first game so good).

NinjaBoiX

I cant believe people think x-ray kills can get old. I played the demo 20 times and couldn't get enough of it. I also found many creative ways to get around enemies over time. Had no idea pre order bonus was a kill Hitler mission, pretty cool.
Yeah, all the "it'll get old fast" shouts, I was thinking, what, faster than a standard TPS without the cool killcam? "Repetitive" and "it'll get old fast" are such subjective terms when it comes to games. Most games require that you carry out a small number of objectives over and over. If you like the gameplay, that's just fine. If not? Well then it's repetitive.

I honestly heard someone on GAF complain that Top Spin tennis was too repetitive. It just beggars belief.

SparkTR

Demo sold me, didn't really enjoy the other Sniper games because of all the fucking jank. Seems to be not much of an issue this time around.

There is only one other game in this series, unless you're getting it mixed up with the Sniper Ghost Warrior games?

Dead Man

Pre order only DLC sucks balls. Glad the levels open up, but I can't support pre order only content. Sorry. Day... something. I'll still be getting it, but not right away.

Duallusion

If this gets a couple of 7/10 reviews today/tomorrow I'll preorder. If not, I'll wait for a price drop. Really liked the demo.

newsguy

I went on Amazon just to see if they were shipping already and noticed that both PS3 and 360 versions are sold out and on backorder. Not sure if that's a severe lack of copies shipped or an overflow of pre-orders due to the dry season.

I went on Amazon just to see if they were shipping already and noticed that both PS3 and 360 versions are sold out and on backorder. Not sure if that's a severe lack of copies shipped or an overflow of pre-orders due to the dry season.

I'm assuming that, because this is a relatively unhyped budget game, retailers underestimated the demand for the game when they ordered copies. I think SEV2 will owe many sales to it's demo.

mclem

I commented on it here - having worked on the first game - saying that a kill hitler mission was originally planned for the first title, but there was no one-ball discussion back then (Indeed, there's no x-raying in the first game, so it wouldn't have been meaningful). I also suggested one-ball Hitler in a recent discussion after I was aware of the preorder mission in the new game - long after I left the company - but it's not something that I recall ever having been discussed in the context of the original project.

(Indeed, I'm not sure who of those who worked on the first game is still at Rebellion. I'm looking forward to comparing the credits list.)

Apparently it's unlocked on Steam in North America. How's the game?

Played about an hour and a half. It's fun so far, no frustrating quirks that I've encountered. I'd like more enemies positioned up high, to be honest. Counter-sniping is one of the more entertaining parts of the game for me and so far there've only been a few opportunities.

jet1911

The ennemies are way more deadly than in the demo. I'm at the first part of the demo right now and I tried the same "lay down in the hallway" tactic but it doesn't work because the ennemies rush me or try to flank me by going in the building from the right.

newsguy

The ennemies are way more deadly than in the demo. I'm at the first part of the demo right now and I tried the same "lay down in the hallway" tactic but it doesn't work because the ennemies rush me or try to flank me by going in the building from the right.

Nice. Please report back if you play a large section where you can pick off a group without ever giving up your position. The demo seemed like a crapshoot. You were always seen in the first part, but down the road you could take out 5 guys without ever giving away your position. Obviously the latter is desirable.

Top Bottom