• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sniper Elite V2 |OT| Throwin' Rocks, Shootin' Cocks

jet1911

Nice. Please report back if you play a large section where you can pick off a group without ever giving up your position. The demo seemed like a crapshoot. You were always seen in the first part, but down the road you could take out 5 guys without ever giving away your position. Obviously the latter is desirable.

Well in the second mission
you must infiltrate a factory and there are some "loud noises" that you can utilise to time your shot and naviguate the environement without being heard.
It's fun to play more stealthy. :)

Here'S a pic just to give you an idea of the second mission.

http://www.abload.de/img/sniperelitev22012-05-5rlc3.png

Dragnet

Ugh, ShopTo are shipping my order but they deliver to your credit card address for your first two orders, not the shipping address you added to the account originally. UGH!

Played the demo last night. I may go pick this up today after work.
Tried the different difficulty levels, elite is tough. I was trying to figure out bullet drop and got a nut shot on a baddie. This game is graphic, but it still made me laugh.

S1kkZ

i like the demo, but i always feel like i play the game wrong. do you have the shoot all the enemies in the demo level? this alerts all the other enemies in the area, i dont really know how to go "stealth". could really use some tips.

i like the demo, but i always feel like i play the game wrong. do you have the shoot all the enemies in the demo level? this alerts all the other enemies in the area, i dont really know how to go "stealth". could really use some tips.

The best way to play the first game was Stealth-"lite". Sniper Rifles are loud, and there's no getting around that. What you can do is sneak through and around enemy defences, take out isolated enemies, set up traps, and find the best possible position to snipe from.

The first trailer for the game (see OP) gives a good indicator of what I mean.

RS4-

Looking good. The original had a "loud noise" mechanic as well, but it was almost impossible to take advantage of.

This one is the same. If you move past a certain area or take too long to reach it, the noise gimmick stops working. There was a mission where I had to backtrack to a certain point just to re-initiate the noise so I can take advantage of some long shooting.

Like that mission Jet1911 posted a picture of.

I'm probably 7 missions in and there hasn't been a level where the noise is either persistent or maps large enough to go through the whole thing via stealth. Every time it was involved, it was probably during the first few minutes of the mission (save for one so far).

Lots of trial and error as well as enemies magically see you or spawn out of nowhere.

I've only done uh, sniper elite? difficulty, so I can't say how different it is compared to the two easier ones. Apparently there's some hidden wind mechanic that I'm not aware of or the Gewehr 43 is randomly broken. There are times where a prone sniper is < 200m and I have to aim to the left or right of them as if they're a moving target.

I've only done uh, sniper elite? difficulty, so I can't say how different it is compared to the two easier ones. Apparently there's some hidden wind mechanic that I'm not aware of or the Gewehr 43 is randomly broken. There are times where a prone sniper is < 200m and I have to aim to the left or right of them as if they're a moving target.

There should be a bar on the scope indicating wind direction.

Dizzle24

Damn Amazon is sold out both PS3 and Xbox...might have to go to the dreaded GameStop for once! Not sure if this is worth $60 though...the demo was fun, but seems super repetitive..

Was unimpressed with the demo. Instead of actually feeling like a sniper, it was just another one-man-army fps with a scope and the ability to throw rocks. The "lol omg" x-ray cam grew old quickly.

I'll rent it to try out the final version though.

RoylAsult

i placed my order last night and now i just realize its not going to ship until middle of May :\

am i still going to get the DLC Amazon promised? and there is a good chance it will come before the estimated date they have right?

jet1911

Stealth?

sniperelitev22012-05-1rxut.png

sniperelitev22012-05-h6zaq.png

Bonus

sniperelitev22012-05-t1zj9.png

Got the US code off GGG and am downloading it now on Euro steam. It says it has already been released. I wonder if I can start playing immediately.

mjc

Yeah my 360 copy from Amazon isn't going to ship until tomorrow at the earliest. Dang.

Looks like Gamestop moved the release date to May 8th now? Hmmmm....

RoylAsult

mine is now scheduled to ship mid May, kind of upset about that but hopefully its sooner. I was on chat with customer service and they couldn't give me an answer if i would still receive the free DLC :\ that's the main reason why i chose them.... but they did waive shipping for me so that's something i guess.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ugghhh this download feels so slow because I actually want to play this. Hurry up Steam. And these achievements best register properly.

This game is awesome, missions definitely open up as you progress, love to snap the heads of unsuspecting enemies, time your shots so other ambient noises masks your sniper shots.
Game looks good and runs good on my mid-range PC, plus the PC version has "vs multiplayer".
As soon as I finish the story I'll jump into MP to see how it goes

RoylAsult

Gamestop says their date changed to the 9th, yet their system says the game is shipping. My bet is it will be here tomorrow.

i obviously know you dont know for fact but do you think since the release date has changed Amazon put the 1-4 weeks thing just to be safe?

I commented on it here - having worked on the first game - saying that a kill hitler mission was originally planned for the first title, but there was no one-ball discussion back then (Indeed, there's no x-raying in the first game, so it wouldn't have been meaningful). I also suggested one-ball Hitler in a recent discussion after I was aware of the preorder mission in the new game - long after I left the company - but it's not something that I recall ever having been discussed in the context of the original project.

(Indeed, I'm not sure who of those who worked on the first game is still at Rebellion. I'm looking forward to comparing the credits list.)

Damn. I honestly don't recall reading it on GAF, but you're probably right and it's my memory failing me. I apologize if he doesn't have one testicle in the game, GAF. :( lol

Anyway, I tried the mission last night and it's pretty damn tough. There's dozens of enemies, the wind is constantly fluctuating, and there are hidden/cheap snipers (one in particular annoyed me because he's hidden behind a banner - how the hell can he see me?). Not to mention, you only have a few windows of opportunity to hit Hitler, which are probably only a second each (moving in between cover). Very tough mission, especially on SE difficulty... nearly got a nut shot on him but it ended up just being to his thigh. :(

RS4-

Damn. I honestly don't recall reading it on GAF, but you're probably right and it's my memory failing me. I apologize if he doesn't have one testicle in the game, GAF. :( lol

Anyway, I tried the mission last night and it's pretty damn tough. There's dozens of enemies, the wind is constantly fluctuating, and there are hidden/cheap snipers (one in particular annoyed me because he's hidden behind a banner - how the hell can he see me?). Not to mention, you only have a few windows of opportunity to hit Hitler, which are probably only a second each (moving in between cover). Very tough mission, especially on SE difficulty... nearly got a nut shot on him but it ended up just being to his thigh. :(

Yeah did the same, only got a shot off in the thigh at the last possible chance you can kill him.

Which sniper are you talking about? I only saw two on the way to Hitler. One on the watchtower above the train, the other at your final nest overlooking the grounds.

I suppose I got lucky with the wind during my go through as I only had to aim one mil dot to the right and above (give or take) the majority of the time during the last sequence.

Yeah did the same, only got a shot off in the thigh at the last possible chance you can kill him.

Which sniper are you talking about? I only saw two on the way to Hitler. One on the watchtower above the train, the other at your final nest overlooking the grounds.

I suppose I got lucky with the wind during my go through as I only had to aim one mil dot to the right and above (give or take) the majority of the time during the last sequence.

The first sniper, in the watchtower. When I engage the first group of soldiers, he fires upon me but is hidden behind a Nazi banner unless I move a little to get a view of him.

And yes, you were very lucky lol I swear the wind was fluctuating with every shot. It was insane.

Same here. There are zero reviews for this game. The demo was amazing, but I'll feel a bit more comfortable with more reviews. The lack of reviews is very odd.

2 things : review copies sent on release date (more and more publishers do that, giving reviewer so little time that they write review based on first impression (the best ones usually) and don't go past the middle game and don't see flawed mecanics, and gameplay redundancy)

or embargo

2 things : review copies sent on release date (more and more publishers do that, giving reviewer so little time that they write review based on first impression (the best ones usually) and don't go past the middle game and don't see flawed mecanics, and gameplay redundancy)

or embargo
I understand the embargo. Pretty much every game nowadays has one. That first reason is just plain terrible. What are developers/publishers thinking? Oh yeah, making money. Hope this trend does not continue. What are GAFs impressions of the game? I keep going back to getgamesgo's website because I want to pull the trigger.

Well console owners are screwed on this one... Gamestop said that the game never got a street date so none of their stores have copies yet. The new date they have is the 9th which isn't even a Tuesday. Their expecting to get copies next week.

The guy I talked to at Gamestop said it still qualifies for pre-order, but the website is not reflecting that.
I emailed Amazon to see if orders placed now are still going to qualify for the pre-order bonus. If nobody knows when the thing is going to end up on shelves I'll order it online.

I understand the embargo. Pretty much every game nowadays has one. That first reason is just plain terrible. What are developers/publishers thinking? Oh yeah, making money. Hope this trend does not continue. What are GAFs impressions of the game? I keep going back to getgamesgo's website because I want to pull the trigger.

It happened a lot : GTA IV and Mass Effect 3 are the most significant exemple of this : no journalist went through GTA IV far enough to call on the friend social thing.

No journalist finish ME3 because any decent one, would play all three games, would have called on the ending.

This game is awesome, missions definitely open up as you progress, love to snap the heads of unsuspecting enemies, time your shots so other ambient noises masks your sniper shots.
Game looks good and runs good on my mid-range PC, plus the PC version has "vs multiplayer".
As soon as I finish the story I'll jump into MP to see how it goes

Thats all i wanted to hear.

Is this mechanic on every level?

Zimbardo

bought it for $29 off getgogames.

tried it out and had the game maxed out @ 1080p. it ran smoothly until i got noticed by the enemy and they started shooting at me. framerate seems to suffer somewhat at that point.

dropped the detail to the default settings, which was 'medium' ...same results. performance issues when enemies start shooting at me.

pc config is:

i5 760 @ 3.8ghz
8gig ram
2 gtx560 in sli

the game seems to perform the same with SLI enabled or disabled. (i have vsync enabled so i'm getting 60fps max)

anyway ...good times. sometimes i wonder why i bother to buy games on day 1.

(edit: the part where performance drops for me is during the first mission after u get past the tank. you can shoot the gas tank on a truck and after doing so, it aggros the enemies. its during this fire fight that i noticed the performance issues. up until then, it was fine)

I think Edge reviewed the console version since they complain about unresponsive controls and the lack of player vs player multiplayer, both of those aren't an issue in the PC version.

Another review from JOYViews, they reviewed the PC version 9/10

http://www.joyviews.com/2012/05/01/sniper-elite-v2-pc/

At this point if you have a console and a mid-range or better PC I definitely recommend getting the PC version, it controls better, it looks better and it has vs multiplayer.

Sethos

Banned
I've enjoyed what I played so far, it really got a lot better when you actually got to sneak, time shots with noise and carry around dead bodies.

Top Bottom