• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snoopy Flying Ace |OT| Quaffing Root Beers With Bill Mauldin

mujun

Stumpokapow said:
how about ignoring crimson skies 2 and hiring these guys to do their original ratchet and clank + crimsons skies snoopy full length action adventure game.

Yes please. That would be soooo good :D

Genuinly surprised that this game is actually good, just like the rest of you here. Even the single player is enjoyable enough, though the missions in the technical category (Follow the Leader et al) are the best when aiming for the gold medals 'cause those seem to be the only ones that aren't virtually identical to Cadet difficulty runs.

Anyone played Pigskin yet? Tried it out for a few games and it's easily my favorite game type of them all right now. Nothing quite like intercepting an enemy player just inches in front of your goal, bobbing and weaving past the other players from his team (taking advantage of the environment if possible), passing it to an unguarded player 120+ yards in the distance when you finally have a clear line of sight and watching him score the touchdown. Or killing off several players chasing the ball carrier's from the rear while he's making a run for it. Had loads of fun with a Japanese player even (who already reached level 100) when I ended up in a 2 vs 4 session. Ran into Gazunta too and I almost earned the Flawless achievement, but the time ran out before I could get those last two kills.

One complaint I have about the multiplayer though (and this is for all modes): I feel 16 players is too much for the majority of the maps. They're too small to fully support that number and it's in even worse in levels where there's this big open space in the middle with barely any cover, making it relatively easily to lose track of things amidst all the chaos. It'd be nice if you could dial it back to 10 - 12 or so, but unfortunately that's not an option for non-private matches. I'm hoping the developers can add a search criteria like this (maybe a region filter as well) in the near future.

Might consider recording some video's if anyone's interested, be it random multiplayer sessions or gold medal / Veteran runs from the campaign.

Safe Bet

Banned
MicVlaD said:
One complaint I have about the multiplayer though (and this is for all modes): I feel 16 players is too much for the majority of the maps.
I had the same exact thought while playing the FFA demo.

Way too may planes...

Way too confusing...

Especially for a demo.

Lunchbox

Banned
Safe Bet said:
I had the same exact thought while playing the FFA demo.

Way too may planes...

Way too confusing...

Especially for a demo.

fly outside the pack and shoot missiles in it.

pew pew and watch 20+ kills next to your name and then laugh at them in the lobby

Oli

The game is chaotic at times, but you do gain some control as you play. Stay out of the choke points and pick people off one by one.

God this game is great. Is this anything like Crimson Skies was? If so, I'll be very disappointed that I missed out on that series. Online is super smooth, and fun as hell.

I did have a lock up though where I had to hard reset the 360. It happening EXACTLY when I got my 9 kill streak for the doghouse, and as I was entering a turret to cause even more hell. I was wrecking house in that match too.

MicVlaD said:
One complaint I have about the multiplayer though (and this is for all modes): I feel 16 players is too much for the majority of the maps. They're too small to fully support that number and it's in even worse in levels where there's this big open space in the middle with barely any cover, making it relatively easily to lose track of things amidst all the chaos. It'd be nice if you could dial it back to 10 - 12 or so, but unfortunately that's not an option for non-private matches. I'm hoping the developers can add a search criteria like this (maybe a region filter as well) in the near future.

I disagree, 16 is the perfect number. There's always something going on, and action never feels far away. Plus the spectacle of missiles, and weaponry flying through the air with no lag looks really nice.

Net_Wrecker said:
God this game is great. Is this anything like Crimson Skies was? If so, I'll be very disappointed that I missed out on that series. Online is super smooth, and fun as hell.

Crimson Skies was even better, though they play very similarly. CS was marginally less cartoonish (but only marginally), and my recollection is that the planes and weapons felt a little bit more "substantial". It also had a fantastic single-player campaign and an awesome alternate-history Prohibitionpunk (I just made that up) premise.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Crimson Skies was even better, though they play very similarly. CS was marginally less cartoonish (but only marginally), and my recollection is that the planes and weapons felt a little bit more "substantial". It also had a fantastic single-player campaign and an awesome alternate-history Prohibitionpunk (I just made that up) premise.

I really like the feel of this game, and forgot how much fun flight combat games were. It brings back a feeling I haven't had since Twisted Metal Black, I luvz its. If Crimson Skies was even better, I'm right there with everyone wanting a sequel to that.

quickwhips

I downloaded the demo with a friend and bought it. We played through coop in about 1 hours and went into death match. we still have alot of stuff to do in coop to get allt he achievements. Add me gamertag quickwhips if you are playing and need to feel spots in a lobby.

mclaren777

I just watched a couple videos of this game and it reminded me of the air combat in Warhawk (minus the hovering ability).

Is that a fair comparison?

Safe Bet

Banned
quickwhips said:
Add me gamertag quickwhips..
STP-F11651.jpg

mclaren777 said:
Is that a fair comparison?
I think so..

MicVlaD said:
Might consider recording some video's if anyone's interested, be it random multiplayer sessions or gold medal / Veteran runs from the campaign.
I'd love to see Veteran gold medal runs for the Birds of War levels. I just can't figure out how to get some of 'em without running into mines, I'm stuck at 2/3 gold medals for each one. :lol

So, were any of the team that developed this involved with Crimson Skies? Because the similarities are striking... which is a damn good thing!

Was the flying in Dark Void anywhere near the quality of Crimson Skies?

Regardless, I hope this sustains a nice community. Online dogfights are the bomb.

Hey |Puddin| Got your invite but I haven't bought it yet. Just 100%'ed RDR a few minutes ago. I will pick up later this week if you are still playing. :D

Jay Sosa

Played the demo yesterday, will buy the game as soon as I finsihed all the other shit I bought.

Love the music and the artwork. I was smiling all over the place when I finished the training mission and the snoopy dancing pic and music came on.

I think I start reading the comics again.

Jay Sosa said:
Played the demo yesterday, will buy the game as soon as I finsihed all the other shit I bought.

Love the music and the artwork. I was smiling all over the place when I finished the training mission and the snoopy dancing pic and music came on.

I think I start reading the comics again.

Y'know what's the funniest part about this? I haven't even touched the singleplayer yet in about 3 hours of gametime, and because I'm using my Avatar for multiplayer, the game looks like a a completely new IP that has nothing to do with Peanuts. Not that I have a problem with Peanuts as going into this I had no idea you could even use your Avatar, but I always feel weird when I see Snoopy on the front menu after 40 minutes of multiplayer.

Jay Sosa

Well to be honest I only consider buying this because of Snoopy, sure the game seems fun (demo is a bit short) but if it wasn't for him I'd have not interest at all.

And since I only have a silver account and don't like to play with my headphones on (I'ts weird to talk to people I don't know while playing) I doubt I'll ever play online.

KuroNeeko

Jay Sosa said:
Well to be honest I only consider buying this because of Snoopy...

I'm going to tell you upfront - Snoopy's cackle when he shoots down enemy planes is worth the price of admission. Makes me laugh every.single.time.

Jay Sosa

KuroNeeko said:
I'm going to tell you upfront - Snoopy's cackle when he shoots down enemy planes is worth the price of admission. Makes me laugh every.single.time.

Ah shit, I'm gonna buy it tomorrow. The single campaign isn't that long anyway, is it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jay Sosa said:
Well to be honest I only consider buying this because of Snoopy, sure the game seems fun (demo is a bit short) but if it wasn't for him I'd have not interest at all. And since I only have a silver account and don't like to play with my headphones on (I'ts weird to talk to people I don't know while playing) I doubt I'll ever play online.

This is a primarily online game, I would not recommend it just for the single player.

S1kkZ

Stumpokapow said:
This is a primarily online game, I would not recommend it just for the single player.
i disagree. the sp is pretty good and then there is splitscreen and the coop splitscreen missions. its worth the 10 bucks for sp alone.

Jay Sosa

Thanks guys, and yeah since it's only 800 points I'm pretty sute I'm not gonna regret it anyway. Who knows maybe I'll play online after all.

Even though this game is definitely focused on the online multiplayer, they have a pretty good set up for offline people. The campaign is really quick to go through, but going for all the medals adds quite a bit of playtime. Plus all the multiplayer modes are available offline and you can fill them with bots, so you can still do stuff like play 8vs8 capture the flag or 16 plane dog fights or whatever with bots. And everything has offline split screen multiplayer/co-op.

So what's everyone's set up? Right now I'm rocking Rerun in the Angelfish with the Rainmaker and Squitos.

NG28

I'm rocking one of the fast planes with a shotgun and testing out other weapons on second slot. What is everyone's favorite weapon to use for multiplayer?

NG28 said:
I'm rocking one of the fast planes with a shotgun and testing out other weapons on second slot. What is everyone's favorite weapon to use for multiplayer?

You can rack up a ton of random kills with the defensive weapons--squidos, mines or EMP. Heavy plane + one (or two) of those puppies and my k/d was through the roof. A bit boring to play though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
A couple of questions:
1080p (lol, bet I can figure this one out already)?
60fps sp?
30fps/? for splitscreen's multiplay?

Thanks!

Eternia

I'm currently setup with a heavy plane equipped with Rainmaker and either Squitos or EMP. Usually I keep one good long-range weapon and something with short-range or defensive. I think I'm starting to despise EMP though since most players just grab the infinite ammo powerup and start spamming it in crowds. :lol

suplex

finally got around to buying and playing this today, actually wound up winning my first match, but didnt so well after that.

what is the trick to going 25-0? i've seen a couple people do it already and a few more go like 25-2. i havent even been able to get the doghouse yet, my best streak is only 6 i think.

anyways, awesome game, definitely similar to crimson skies, but a lot more hectic.

Oli

suplex said:
finally got around to buying and playing this today, actually wound up winning my first match, but didnt so well after that.

what is the trick to going 25-0? i've seen a couple people do it already and a few more go like 25-2. i havent even been able to get the doghouse yet, my best streak is only 6 i think.

anyways, awesome game, definitely similar to crimson skies, but a lot more hectic.

Do it with bots in a private game.

I found the easiest way to get 25-0 is to get into a dogfight on a map with a lot of cover like the desert valley one. Hang out hidden around the edges where there's caves you can hide in/escape through, and just launch long range attacks into the mass of people who rush out into the middle.

MicVlaD said:
One complaint I have about the multiplayer though (and this is for all modes): I feel 16 players is too much for the majority of the maps.

I fully agree with this, I'd like to see them patch in 8 player only playlists. With 16 things get a bit too chaotic.

KuroNeeko

Jay Sosa said:
Ah shit, I'm gonna buy it tomorrow. The single campaign isn't that long anyway, is it?

Single player campaign is only a few hours long. You can stretch it out longer if you're looking to get full ribbons on both difficulty levels.

Is the Woodstock avatar item purchase only or can you unlock it somehow?

Also, too bad they don't have some sort of host migration. I snatched the lead from the host in Dog Pile? (the one where you have to hold the bone) and the host quit leaving me with my bone in my hand.

KuroNeeko said:
Is the Woodstock avatar item purchase only or can you unlock it somehow?
It has to be purchased, I believe. You can unlock a Charlie Brown t-shirt and the Red Baron's costume. You can also unlock Woodstock and Snoopy gamer pics.

Captured two video's like I mentioned before. The first being a Pigskin match (still my favorite gametype) and the other's a vid of completing both Bird of War campaign missions with all gold medals if anyone (along with voodoopanda I mean) was struggling there. None of the other SP missions seem too hard on Veteran difficulty though now that I got the achievements for 'em, so I probably won't be recording further single player stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMa4R-zMAVM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-6V6grv7JI

Net_Wrecker said:
I disagree, 16 is the perfect number. There's always something going on, and action never feels far away. Plus the spectacle of missiles, and weaponry flying through the air with no lag looks really nice.
Well, let me put it this way: if I regularly bump into my own teammates - or rather: more than I or anyone should - as soon as you spawn, barely getting the time to move away to prevent this and often on the smaller maps to boot, then it's a clear enough sign for me that 16's too much for some levels / modes.

voodoopanda said:
I'd love to see Veteran gold medal runs for the Birds of War levels. I just can't figure out how to get some of 'em without running into mines, I'm stuck at 2/3 gold medals for each one. :lol
See above. Hope it helps.

Dash Kappei said:
A couple of questions:
1080p (lol, bet I can figure this one out already)?
60fps sp?
30fps/? for splitscreen's multiplay?

Thanks!
The game's resolution is most likely 720p tops, yeah. And the framerate is a solid lock at 30; only had it drop once in (online) multiplayer without it being caused by lag. Didn't notice any screen-tearing either so far.

NG28

Damn this game runs silky smooth online. Whenever I purchase XBLA titles I don't usually expect such a lag free experience.

I can't seem to figure out how to use three weapons in this game. I noticed Eternia mention the Rainmaker, so I thought I'd ask here:

Rainmaker = Extra pair of machine guns (with spool-up time)? I've definitely been killed by it, I tried hard to kill with it, but I don't understand the weapon at all.

Wingman = Insta-kill homing missile? Leechs home but only kill if they stay on, no damage if they don't. Swarms home, DoT, but the damage is small. Rockets home, dmg on contact, but the damage is smallest. I'm assuming then, that Wingman = insta kill homing missile. However, it never seems to work that way when I use it.

Tarpedo = shootable EMP? The EMP seems to do 50% damage to medium planes and may? mess with the secondary recharge rate for affected people. Tarpedos seem to be a shootable, remote denotable version of this, but I can't tell what damage it's doing or if has any secondary effect. I'd love if it blinds people, but I don't think that happens.

Gaming Truth said:
I can't seem to figure out how to use three weapons in this game. I noticed Eternia mention the Rainmaker, so I thought I'd ask here:

Rainmaker = Extra pair of machine guns (with spool-up time)? I've definitely been killed by it, I tried hard to kill with it, but I don't understand the weapon at all.

The Rainmaker makes NO SENSE to me. I've been killed so quickly by it, even in a heavy plane, but I'm struggling to get even 25 kills for that achievement. People just don't die when I'm using it. Frustrating.

Net_Wrecker said:
The Rainmaker makes NO SENSE to me. I've been killed so quickly by it, even in a heavy plane, but I'm struggling to get even 25 kills for that achievement. People just don't die when I'm using it. Frustrating.

For the 25 kills achievement, do this:

Enlist Now --> Toulon (Bully Fight) @ Cadet: 4 waves of suckers who line up perfectly for you to kill. Wingman was tough, all others were easy.

Gaming Truth said:
Wingman = Insta-kill homing missile? Leechs home but only kill if they stay on, no damage if they don't. Swarms home, DoT, but the damage is small. Rockets home, dmg on contact, but the damage is smallest. I'm assuming then, that Wingman = insta kill homing missile. However, it never seems to work that way when I use it.

Tarpedo = shootable EMP? The EMP seems to do 50% damage to medium planes and may? mess with the secondary recharge rate for affected people. Tarpedos seem to be a shootable, remote denotable version of this, but I can't tell what damage it's doing or if has any secondary effect. I'd love if it blinds people, but I don't think that happens.
Wingman isn't instakill. Been using it a lot and when it hits, it usually does around 50 - 60% damage. It also homes in on more than one enemy plane if someone else is in close proximity to the original target. Good for racking up some assists when you launch it in crowded area's.

Tarpedo sadly doesn't blind people when it hits.

NG28

I don't understand the Rainmaker either. I have such trouble hitting people with it, but it seems like some people almost have a lock on with it. I do crazy ass maneuvers and still get smoked.

Javaman

Does this game not require Gold membership? I didn't have time to follow it up, but I quickly connected to a remote co-op game and saw the cursor moving around. I need to test this tonight. :eek:O

Lunchbox

Banned
i have over 300 kills with the rainmaker

rainmaker + those small mines and you can get around 15-20 kills. shoot from a distance and if someones chasing you run while leaving the mines behind you

Top Bottom