• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNSD and K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

RZI

Thank you very much Dice!

Korean really can't be written in Latin alphabet, so I find it incredibly useful that in TV-shows like Running Man they subtitle some parts in Hangeul (usually when someone says something funny).

syoaran

RZI said:
Thank you very much Dice!

Korean really can't be written in Latin alphabet, so I find it incredibly useful that in TV-shows like Running Man they subtitle some parts in Hangeul (usually when someone says something funny).

Be careful that most of the subtitle is commentary based on the action, not the word's being spoken.

Hangul shouldn't take you longer than a day to learn, a week to memorise. It's easily the fastest alphabet to pick up, but thats about 1% of the battle.

Also remember that when sounding out words, spelling them is a different thing entirely.As an example, A lot of words that have a "ta" sound use the spelling of "da", but on in some cases/dialects. It's why most people learn the pronunciation and the spelling at the same time, or have to use a dictionary a lot to learn how to spell an word they hear.

To show how hard that is, I believe in one of the earlier running man ep's they had to spell out words that were said by the producer. Unless you've encountered the word a lot, your bound to spell it wrong. So, practise.

Salazar

Alta1r said:
Lol, Yoona's expression is amazing.

Killer smile.

i8wB0.gif

IoNXV.gif

GldXd.gif

Woah, amazing post Dice, been looking for something like this.

Even though I've watched pretty much all Running man and Family Outing episodes I can't say that I've been able to pick up more than just a few words. So this should help a bunch, cheers!

ramyeon

Dice said:
I learned hangeul from August through December last year. That sounds like a long time for the task but I mean I really learned it, even the way the sounds slightly change depending on context to make the language more flowing. That is a longer process than just learning the individual sounds of the alphabet. I started really studying grammar and whatnot at the beginning of the year.

But yeah, developing a vocabulary suuuucks. My main problem with it is not knowing when I have truly learned a word. Like say I learn 25 words. Within half an hour of practice I can test myself and think I have them down 100%. Check again after a few hours and I missed 2 but for the most part I have them down. Check again a few days later and I only remember 5 of them.

How do you know that a word is truly set in your memory? How often should you introduce new words and how long should you keep drilling ones you have learned to make sure they stick? It's such an irritating process that I feel would go a lot more smoothly if I simply lived in Korea to be surrounded by it everywhere.

I also have another theory. Often when words are set up for vocabulary expansion they are either random or separated by theme, but that isn't how we learn as children. When you are a kid you don't simply memorize a list of every vehicle, but you learn that a car is a vehicle that you drive on the road, so words are learned more by context than by category.

I have often wondered if I would be making better progress if I learned Korean in this way. Maybe I would not only learn 25 words more easily because I give them a context to remember them by, but perhaps along the way I would accidentally pick up words related to their context in real life as well as grammatical structures related to their function. Perhaps then, when I go to learn those other words, it would happen more quickly because I have already been exposed to them.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any program that teaches in this manner. I know English books for children tend to work according to this format, so maybe Korean children's books would follow the same pattern. I haven't looked into it yet, but maybe it would be a good direction to take up now after having learned the very basics. If you can't be immersed, it may be beneficial to simply have everyday life explained to you all over again in the context of this new language.
If you're drilling 25 vocab in a day and then not using them actively after that your brain is just going to discard it. Vocab needs to be used in order to keep them in your mind, in my case my girlfriend is Korean and we speak in English 50% of the time and Korean the other half so that becomes a really good way to utilise the vocab I learn in class (And we learn about 40+ per week). Really though, just repeating the words to yourself is great for short term like exams and whatnot, but as far as long term memory goes you won't be able to recall them as easily. I'd find a way to incorporate your vocab studies into every day conversations with Korean people or other Korean learners.

Biscuits

Punishment for having a
hot
girlfriend...
Dice said:
I still how wonder how he turned it into coffee like that. I've looked around the internet for how it is done and I can't find it. Freakin crazy, man.

Edit: I also somehow forgot how pretty Yoona is OMGGGGG!! Can't blame them for flirting with her like that.
I've seen chem demonstrations where due to changes in pH or heat or w/e liquids go from clear to opaque black, but nothing that produces coffee, or anything near drinkable :/ I think he lied when he said that was normal water.

Epic Korean language post though, shall check out the links when I get the time.

Alta1r

All this about learning Korean. I'm holding out hope that Yoona picks up fluent English from Jessica and then they both show up at my door one day. I think there's a higher chance of that happening than me figuring out Korean anyway, lol.

67f3d_j3.jpg

Fafnir

More shaky-ass fancams from Japan concerts being released.

m4scv.gif
HMZdC.gif

I want to punch this dude's head for getting in the way of the booty shot.
NUrEa.gif
lcI46.gif

Alta1r

Fafnir said:
More shaky-ass fancams from Japan concerts being released.

m4scv.gif
HMZdC.gif

Wow, these outfits are hard on the eyes. Colors wise, that is. Short shorts and tight-fitting tops are never a bad thing to look at but what's with the green flotation device looking things and the yellow anchor on the shirts?

Alta1r

orangecaramel said:
Yep, Breaking Heart is great. So many good songs on that album.

What are some of the other good ones? I'm a fan of TTL and Why Are You Being Like This, not so much Bo Peep or YaYaYa. I Go Crazy Because Of You is aight sounding, but the music video and performances of that one definitely push it up a tier. I'm just listing T-ara song's I've heard, I don't know what albums any of these songs are off of, lol.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
One & One, Like the First Time, I'm Really Hurt, Tic Tic Toc, Apple is A, Falling U, Bye Bye, Say Goodbye, Lies, TTL Listen 2, Wanna Play

Basically named every song off Breaking Heart , minus a couple.

Temptastic is a pretty good mini album. Give these a listen also: Ma Boo, I Don't Know, Alright

Alta1r

Slow day today. Time for some Nana:

untitled.jpg

0b42b204.png

oie_2301249j7DEGsjs.gif
tumblr_l8dsz39wWr1qa1xc8o1_250.gif

tumblr_lkeqlfkkXd1qao2k8o1_500.gif

tumblr_llag31ENQP1qjmp2ao1_400.gif

Edit: Lol, in the 5 minutes it takes me to post the Nana pics the thread picks right back up.

Alta1r

Salazar said:
They could have just told Seohyun to go to 9 and she would have mumbled "neh" and gone. So there's one number out of the way.

Is that representative of how maknaes are expected to behave or is Seohyun an especially submissive one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom