• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNSD and K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alta1r

Ranvier said:
I really don't understand your hate for her. Hyoyeon is sexy as all hell and she has way more personality then those doorknobs Jessica and Yoona that you seem to be infatuated with. Plus, Hyo has nice teeth, unlike Jessica who looks like the dentist stuck Chiclets up there. And don't get me started on Yoona's gator grill.

Lol. I don't hate Hyo. She seems like a genuinely nice girl. I just have a hard time understanding how human males can be attracted to orcs. =D j/k j/k
kind of..

sica1.jpg

Xilium

Alta1r said:
Lol. I don't hate Hyo. She seems like a genuinely nice girl. I just have a hard time understanding how human males can be attracted to orcs. =D j/k j/k
kind of..
For me personally, I just like her more natural look. A lot of k-pop stars just look too...artificial imo. In SNSD, that's Yoona and Taeyeon for me. Goo Hara seems to be the worse offender.

Alta1r

Xilium said:
For me personally, I just like her more natural look. A lot of k-pop stars just look too...artificial imo. In SNSD, that's Yoona and Taeyeon for me. Goo Hara seems to be the worse offender.

I mean, to be fair, like someone mentioned way back on like page 10 or something, Hyo's an 8 surrounded by 9s and 10s. After seeing the fans they got on camera in the 45 minute Soshi video Sal posted and seeing some of the other kpop stars out there, it's clear that she's still head and shoulders above a majority of girls out there. It's just fun picking on her.
And she does have an uncanny resemblance to an orc at times, lol.

ramyeon

Ranvier said:
I really don't understand your hate for her. Hyoyeon is sexy as all hell and she has way more personality then those doorknobs Jessica and Yoona that you seem to be infatuated with. Plus, Hyo has nice teeth, unlike Jessica who looks like the dentist stuck Chiclets up there. And don't get me started on Yoona's gator grill.
Have you actually watched any variety shows with them though? Jessica and Yoona aren't what I'd call doorknobs. I don't even rank Yoona but I think she's one of the funniest members in the group.

Plus I just can't fathom how anyone could rank Hyoyeon above Jessica. But that's just me.

Ranvier

Alta1r said:
After seeing the fans they got on camera in the 45 minute Soshi video Sal posted and seeing some of the other kpop stars out there, it's clear that she's still head and shoulders above a majority of girls out there.

That's the thing, despite how much we jest over how which girl looks the best they are all still really really attractive. Our differences in opinion on which is the hottest comes down to preferences more then anything else. I'm sure we all can agree that they are all quite pretty.

And that just makes me think about just how scary the K-pop industry really is. SM Entertainment specifically (not that I mean to only pick on them, but its just that I know the most about them) seems to be some kind of K-pop Idol machine, churning out group after group. Take SNSD for example, SM was so good at forming a group of hot girls with a variety of looks to have as wide an appeal as possible. Plus all these girls were hand-picked at a young age and went through years of training with basically no lives of their own. The whole thing feels like one of those Soviet spy camps where kids are taken from their parents and are trained to be killers and conquer nations. Except in Korea, they are trained to conquer our hearts.

c402bfa5d5531e61_juz-yuri-girls-generation-snsd-9649382-685-1024.preview.jpg

Just look at that people! She looks to good to be true...

ramyeon

Ranvier said:
And that just makes me think about just how scary the K-pop industry really is. SM Entertainment specifically (not that I mean to only pick on them, but its just that I know the most about them) seems to be some kind of K-pop Idol machine, churning out group after group. Take SNSD for example, SM was so good at forming a group of hot girls with a variety of looks to have as wide an appeal as possible. Plus all these girls were hand-picked at a young age and went through years of training with basically no lives of their own. The whole thing feels like one of those Soviet spy camps where kids are taken from their parents and are trained to be killers and conquer nations. Except in Korea, they are trained to conquer our hearts.
SM Entertainment is pretty scary in that regard. But they're definitely good at what they do, and the idols they produce are top notch. Not all labels are like that though, that's pretty unique to the idol industry. One of my close friends is a trainee with a smaller company (Relatively) and they have a lot more freedom.

Xilium

Ranvier said:
That's why I find it funny when people talk about manufactured music artist over here in the west. Some of their music and maybe their style may be catered to a specific demographic but most of them were aspiring independent artist before they were picked up by a record label and figured that stuff out beforehand. Then if they manage to become multi-platinum artist, they are pretty much given the freedom to do whatever they want else they can just go off and start their own label (as seems to be the trend of late).

In Korea, they literally are manufactured from a young age to be idols (the whole idol thing in and of itself is kinda weird). It's like a pageantry system for the music industry.

Ranvier

Salazar said:

What no! I recognize this clip. Its from Hello Baby and Yoona is just saying that because she was jealous that Yuri took some initiative and made a grab for the kid while Yoona was waiting around like a spoiled brat hoping to be given the kid to play with.

And I remember so vividly because the next scene was Yuri lying down next to the kid while he slept. That was the transition point of me simply lusting after her to...well...not love but something definitely in-between.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah, wait until the rest of Hello Baby where Yuri just acts like a child the whole time.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
vanty said:
Someone else who realises the horror of Jessica's teeth!
Part of the reason why I don't like her that much.

I've only ever seen the bottom row ONCE. I remember posting here (or the old thread?) about how it was the first time I'd seen them.

Edit:

AHA!

Dice said:
I think that's my first time seeing them.
LOL

And for you Yuri not-likers:

SNSD-Run-Devil-Run-Photos-7.jpg

vanty

Minah's the best looking one now that Yura's blonde hair is gone, you can barely even notice her. Video and song are both a big step down from Twinkle Twinkle. But in this land of Tiffany lovers I know my opinions are normally in the minority ahah.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It goes something like this: Yura > Hyeri >> Sojin >> Jihae >>>> Minah

ramyeon

Seriously don't understand the Minah hate here, I've never seen it anywhere else like this.

Sojin > Yura > Minah > Jihae >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hyeri. She's like 17, Jesus.

ramyeon

Yeah I don't rate her in f(x) though, tbh.

f(x) is Krystal > Luna > Victoria for me. Sulli is 4th and Amber doesn't really count.

ramyeon

Isn't she 17 as well? Probably Korean age. I don't remember many ages, anyway. Just remembered Hyeri's from the profile in the video. Ah well, after checking they're all young in f(x) except Victoria.

Besides the age was a joke, age even aside Hyeri is low tier in Girl's Day for me :)

Fafnir

I hope they have a reunion episode when Kyungsan reaches puberty, I'm interested to see who he picks as his ideal woman.

YUEtp.gif

P4ujw.jpg

Alta1r

Just ran across this on my quest to find and watch as many live Roly Poly performances as possible on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B6QTw66BLY

It's not Roly Poly but it's Why Are You Being Like This (another fantastic T-ara song) live and the full song being performed. It's the first time I've seen the entire thing being performed without parts cut. Now I finally know who sings which parts.

Also, is it just her instructions in Roly Poly or does Jiyeon not smile at all in any of those performances?

Alta1r

Fafnir said:
I hope they have a reunion episode when Kyungsan reaches puberty, I'm interested to see who he picks as his ideal woman.

They'll all be 30+ by then. My guess is Yoona will still look the most stunning. =D

1263380180_50.gif

Alta1r

Ranvier said:
And that oaf Tae Woo better lay off my girl Yuri; its only his surprising ability to be hilarious and make me laugh that's keeping him safe.

Lol, I just started episode two, where they show him picking Lee Yeon-Hee over Yuri in the Champagne Ideal Type World Cup. That impromptu one they did with the chief was pretty hilarious. Sunny, Shinyoung or the chicken...lol. The chief starts talking about daughter-in-laws and after Yuri wins she tells Tae Woo that a man needs to be loyal, haha. Ridiculous.

ramyeon said:
She's like 17, Jesus.

yexaKh.jpg

Hyeri > Yura > Sojin = Minah > Jihae

Jihae kind of looks like a plastic doll, pretty, but a tier or two below the rest of the group. As for Yura, I prefer her dark hair. She stands out less, but it suits her better and looks more natural.

The song does nothing for me.

While we touched on the looks department, I will say this.....

Sooyoung was BY FAR the most beautiful person I have ever seen in person.

It was the SMTown weekend in LA. I was literally stuck, I didnt know what to do, and Hyoyeon comes in second, her smile in person was A-Friggin-mazing! I luckily got to get pics with 6 of the girls at LAX and actually touched hands with them all at the concert.

Cuz_7_8_9_Lawlz said:

It was the SMTown weekend in LA. I was literally stuck, I didnt know what to do, and Hyoyeon comes in second, her smile in person was A-Friggin-mazing! I luckily got to get pics with 6 of the girls at LAX and actually touched hands with them all at the concert.

Jealous =x

DXPett1

The fact that people can judge their personality from some footage entirely from variety shows & performances is laughable. On-screen personality does not equal their off-screen personality

Salazar

DXPett1 said:
On-screen personality does not equal their off-screen personality

True. But I don't think the larger proportion of the variety stuff is put on. Of course, there's a certain immature brightness that everybody adopts when they're on a variety show, but I think generalisations like Seohyun's a nerd, Hyoyeon is violent, Sooyoung is amazingly rude sometimes are supportable.

Tiffany sucks at Mario Kart, apparently. Man, I hope they do more Nintendo CFs.

Soshi could so easily have sold me on a Wii.

milkham

Cuz_7_8_9_Lawlz said:

yo i was there too http://www.flickr.com/photos/milkman/sets/72157624897563322/with/4966574556/
i didn't touch any of them though :(

they were saying no interchangeable lens cameras, so i didn't bring my slr, i get there and everyone has an slr

milkham said:
yo i was there too http://www.flickr.com/photos/milkman/sets/72157624897563322/with/4966574556/
i didn't touch any of them though :(

they were saying no interchangeable lens cameras, so i didn't bring my slr, i get there and everyone has an slr

Where were you sitting? I was on floor two so we got lucky the cameras were on Floor one. EVERYONE came over to our side. I touched I think everyone, but to be fair, I had an unfair advantage haha, but ya it was awesome.

There were about 10 of us in our group so we had the whole wall and corner on lock haha.

Ranvier

Salazar said:
TaeWoo looking suave as fuck.

Alright, I'll admit, even though I hate him, he seems like one cool cat in that gif.

Salazar said:
True. But I don't think the larger proportion of the variety stuff is put on.

I wonder this too. When I watched the "Come to Play" interview and they talked about how they used to hold mock variety shows I was a little put-off at just how controlled everything they do really is. Also, during the first episode of IY it was funny and yet sort of disturbing to see how out all the G7 girls, it was Yuri and Sunny that refused to be shown without make-up and were ready (fake eyelashes and all) at 4 am. SM Entertainment probably threatened to beat them if they weren't.

So one hand I think you are right about how there is no way those girls can be in character for the whole show. But another part of me can't help but wonder whether variety show etiquette was pounded into them so much during training that its no longer an affectation for them to put on. And over time, they have simply morphed into the girls they were manufactured to be.

Salazar said:

A million thanks for these gifs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom