• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNSD and K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Ranvier said:
Alright, I'll admit, even though I hate him, he seems like one cool cat in that gif.

Nah, in Milkham's Hollywood Bowl photos.

QvKmM.jpg

Ranvier

Salazar said:
Nah, in Milkham's Hollywood Bowl photos.

Ah, I couldn't see those. He still looks cool in pink vs the random assortment of windbreakers, sweats, and jackets he and the other girls normally wear on the show. Is it really that cold where they film IY, I haven't seen any snow in the background. Come to think of it, it doesn't seem like its rained yet either.

Peru

I think SNSD are both more pro and more natural than most groups in that regard. They're sufficiently relaxed about image to just fuck around, because they're untouchable top dogs. Sometimes rookie groups appear scared stiff on shows because they're so afraid of making a mistake.

It's worth noting about gaining clout as you become top tier, that BoA simply refused to do variety shows for her last Korean promotional period. She's always hated that stuff, though, while for some like Sunny it's where they thrive.

DXPett1

Ranvier said:
I wonder this too. When I watched the "Come to Play" interview and they talked about how they used to hold mock variety shows I was a little put-off at just how controlled everything they do really is.

I was more disturbed about how distant all the different SMe groups are. Considering they talk so much about being family and supporting each other they really seem to not know each other at all...

Also was that just Super Junior just trying to be prepared rather than SMe being controlling?

Ranvier said:
So one hand I think you are right about how there is no way those girls can be in character for the whole show. But another part of me can't help but wonder whether variety show etiquette was pounded into them so much during training that its no longer an affectation for them to put on. And over time, they have simply morphed into the girls they were manufactured to be.

I do worry with all this "control your emotion" and "don't ruin your image" bullshit that they will be little more than robots outside their performances

Salazar

I'm kind of hoping they get IU for the next one.

F3lbQ.gif

DXPett1 said:
I do worry with all this "control your emotion" and "don't ruin your image" bullshit that they will be little more than robots outside their performances

Super Junior's drag performances seem pretty "not giving a fuck" to me. Especially Shindong. Man doesn't look right at all.

milkham

Cuz_7_8_9_Lawlz said:
Where were you sitting? I was on floor two so we got lucky the cameras were on Floor one. EVERYONE came over to our side. I touched I think everyone, but to be fair, I had an unfair advantage haha, but ya it was awesome.

There were about 10 of us in our group so we had the whole wall and corner on lock haha.

floor 4 i think, they had a little cordoned off area next to the stage for the camera guys to walk around in, we kept pushing in the barricade and they kept telling us to move back. meanwhile people on the other side of the stage where practically ON the stage with the girls

milkham said:
floor 4 i think, they had a little cordoned off area next to the stage for the camera guys to walk around in, we kept pushing in the barricade and they kept telling us to move back. meanwhile people on the other side of the stage where practically ON the stage with the girls

You were probably floor 3 then, ours and the one behind us had no cameras, there were only cameras on the left side if you were facing the stage haha.

milkham

Ranvier said:
Ah, I couldn't see those. He still looks cool in pink vs the random assortment of windbreakers, sweats, and jackets he and the other girls normally wear on the show. Is it really that cold where they film IY, I haven't seen any snow in the background. Come to think of it, it doesn't seem like its rained yet either.

3520439629_6fb8060e74_z.jpg
3521144176_666aaf3157_z.jpg

Salazar

qLO1L.gif

Oda draws Taengoo.

Oogqk.jpg

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/07/iu-to-cut-down-on-her-variety-appearances

The ‘nation’s little sister’ is gaining oodles of popularity for her vibrant, fresh image as well as for her charming personality. However, with fame comes misfortune, and so IU has been recently getting some flak and anti-fans for her numerous appearances on almost every variety show on the market.

In response to this, LOEN Entertainment issued a statement that the young star will be cutting down on her variety roles to focus on her singing instead.

:(

Alta1r

Episode 3 - check. I think this show is slowly starting to take over my brain. I had an hour long conference call at 7:30 this morning rescheduled to tomorrow and my first reaction was oh sweet, that means I can watch another episode now. On that note, time for one more before I head in.

khuna2.gif

Fafnir

Ranvier said:
I wonder this too. When I watched the "Come to Play" interview and they talked about how they used to hold mock variety shows I was a little put-off at just how controlled everything they do really is. Also, during the first episode of IY it was funny and yet sort of disturbing to see how out all the G7 girls, it was Yuri and Sunny that refused to be shown without make-up and were ready (fake eyelashes and all) at 4 am. SM Entertainment probably threatened to beat them if they weren't.

So one hand I think you are right about how there is no way those girls can be in character for the whole show. But another part of me can't help but wonder whether variety show etiquette was pounded into them so much during training that its no longer an affectation for them to put on. And over time, they have simply morphed into the girls they were manufactured to be.

The variety show training that they go through in SM helps them be more comfortable on variety shows where reaction is the key to not getting edited out. The main purpose of variety shows is to bring awareness about yourself and your group, but that can't happen if you are awkward/self-conscious and you get edited out for being boring. If you watch other girl groups on variety shows it's almost embarrassing how stiff they are and how much they get edited out. Star Golden Bell is a good example as whenever SNSD was on the show, the show revolved around them while the regular cast is barely seen, 2NE1 appears on the show and they are edited out after their intro and the regulars have to take up the slack.

The personalities of the girls we see on camera is what everyone does while being filmed: acting. It's easy for us to judge and find fault as viewers that on-camera personalities are "manufactured", but don't we all have "manufactured" personalities? I know when I go to work I have to become my corporate shirt-tucker personality which I think is fake as fuck, but I have to play my role to keep my job to make money. Same thing with the girls, their job is to be entertainers and to entertain us. Manufactured is quite harsh, I'd say trained is the correct word, because we are all trained to do our jobs no matter if it's a cashier at McDonalds to a singer on stage, the fries at McDonalds are manufactured not the people behind the counter.

I see Yuri and Sunny not wanting to be seen without makeup as them being variety show veterans, on the bus ride to the farm you see them reading the script while the other girls are still deer in headlights. Yuri went through the wake up routine in Kko Kko Tour and probably didn't want to go through it again, but do you know any girl that would willingly want to be broadcasted for millions to see first thing in the morning without makeup on?

Only if you are a goddess like Gyuri
rHWSz.gif
xshTI.gif

Kg35L.gif
5uHuE.gif

Alta1r

Fafnir said:
I see Yuri and Sunny not wanting to be seen without makeup as them being variety show veterans, on the bus ride to the farm you see them reading the script while the other girls are still deer in headlights. Yuri went through the wake up routine in Kko Kko Tour and probably didn't want to go through it again, but do you know any girl that would willingly want to be broadcasted for millions to see first thing in the morning without makeup on?

I thought all the girls looked fine/good without their make-up. But their eyes seemed like half the size they normally are. I don't know if that's just cause they were just woken up or if they actually have some sort of makeup that makes their eyes look physically bigger. Either way, it was shocking.

Fafnir

Alta1r said:
I thought all the girls looked fine/good without their make-up. But their eyes seemed like half the size they normally are. I don't know if that's just cause they were just woken up or if they actually have some sort of makeup that makes their eyes look physically bigger. Either way, it was shocking.

Not sure about the eye makeup thing, but it could be true as they seem to like to wear those glasses with no lens on the show. I believe there is a whole makeup world that normal guys have no clue about or want to know about.

dOXZH.gif

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
that its no longer an affectation for them to put on. And over time, they have simply morphed into the girls they were manufactured to be.
This is the only way that anyone becomes good at anything, especially on an internationally competitive level.

If someone wants to mind their own business and live a quiet life with the particular skills they need to do their job well for the people they are around and come across, and have all the strengths and weaknesses of personality that are naturally there, working to improve them if they interfere with their job, that's fine. They will learn how to be quick and organized and direct the situations they deal with to the desired result because that is their professional imperative.

If someone wants their professional imperative to be not so much a task they do rather than for them be a person recognized as being truly exceptional, not just an entertainer but one of the best out there, to make their living simply by how wonderful it is to watch them being themselves and do what they do because that is their offering to society then it had better be damn good, right? Would you rather see them not care and halfass it and be boring and shy and expect to make a living from that?

As Fafnir pointed out, to some extent we all become who we need to be to play the role in society we have chosen. On some level this will remain "on the job" but a lot of it will shape how we are all the time as well. It's not natural to be powerful and perfectly controlled on stage, that takes work. It's the same when it comes to being uninhibited, witty, and just generally socially productive for a variety show where something has to happen or be said for it to be worthwhile.

I don't think many people consider it from their perspective. Not all idols are scouted for variety shows, but for most variety shows you have to audition. You go there with the intention of mind that you want to bring people some level of enjoyment just by watching you. It's not a scripted show where you just follow the plan, but you have to make it up as you go. It has to be there in your personality already.

Look at that those gifs. I'm sure Gyuri didn't want a camera in her face in the morning, but she has developed a mind for her career and sees cameras and her fans, because that is how her fans are able to see her most of the time. Thus, she shows the same grace and love that she would to them, knowing that they are the people who appreciate all the efforts she has made in life and also where her paychecks come from. I guess Nicole was out of this mindset at the time, though Hara was being a variety show veteran champ, leading the crew around.

Ranvier

Dice said:
This is the only way that anyone becomes good at anything, especially on an internationally competitive level.

Would you rather see them not care and halfass it and be boring and shy and expect to make a living from that?

As Fafnir pointed out, to some extent we all become who we need to be to play the role in society we have chosen. On some level this will remain "on the job" but a lot of it will shape how we are all the time as well. It's not natural to be powerful and perfectly controlled on stage, that takes work. It's the same when it comes to being uninhibited, witty, and just generally socially productive for a variety show where something has to happen or be sai d for it to be worthwhile.

I don't think many people consider it from their perspective. Not all idols are scouted for variety shows, but for most variety shows you have to audition. You go there with the intention of mind that you want to bring people some level of enjoyment just by watching you. It's not a scripted show where you just follow the plan, but you have to make it up as you go. It has to be there in your personality already.

Both you and Fafnir make very valid points. I guess I never really thought about it as them being on the job. That's the thing though, K-pop is so good at manipulating you into loving these people that you kind of forget that they are just giving you a show. I'm used to American celebrities where, outside of their performances, you don't really know that much about them. With K-pop, these girls/guys pretty much have camera's on them 30 hours a week so it starts to feel like you know them. Those clever clever bastards.

DICE said:
WTF how can you hate Taewoo? He's such a great guy.

I don't hate him. I just don't like him because he keeps hounding after my girl.

And yes Alta1r I just saw episode 5 last night. It was glorious. And it seems to be that the Maknae really doesn't want to be in the show that much. This is the second week in a row that shes come down with a "fever" and had to be taken out.

yuri-yoga.jpg

This is the prime she needs to get back to. Shes almost there, just a few more pounds...

Dice

Ranvier said:
I'm used to American celebrities where, outside of their performances, you don't really know that much about them. With K-pop, these girls/guys pretty much have camera's on them 30 hours a week so it starts to feel like you know them. Those clever clever bastards.
I think that's cool. They seem a lot more down to earth because of it, and really I think they are. As far as American stars go, a lot of the most likable ones are actually show hosts because it is their job to be friendly and maintain a good mood. To do that kind of job and not hate every minute of it, you have to learn how to see and draw out the good in people, how to appreciate the fun in a situation, and I think that becomes a part of you that is good in itself.

Look at Kim Shinyoung, for instance. I don't know if I've ever seen a host so observant and insightful about what is really going on in any given situation. She really knows how to see people's intentions or inhibitions and bring light to them, yet also get them and everyone else to lighten up about them. It makes people enjoy each other in their humanity rather than just the face they're presenting. I'm sure that carries on when she's not functioning as an MC as well because it's a part of one's character, not a skill you put on for TV.

You'll also get some real from-the-heart moments on shows that I really don't think are scripted at all. I remember at the end of an idol sports special thing Seungri was voted the "king" of the competition by the others and he actually cried. He said he felt like he rode on the fame of his group (btw he's maknae) and making a solo debut after 2 years, he wasn't sure if anyone would accept him, but everyone was so kind and welcoming to him. That didn't just show his heart but also the quality of the others as well. That kind of thing happens fairly often.

Dice

Just me getting early hyped for miss A
Fei
comeback.

Fei fancam: http://youtu.be/0ROl4lS7IBE

Breathe performance
FFEEEEEEIIIII O_O!!
http://youtu.be/zIMxq_w2vRI

Fun fact: Fei didn't dream of being a performer and chase after it like most other idols. She was street scouted. She was just walking along the road and a scout went:
iybaqnrs4.gif

LowerLevel

OK, I am finally going to post. And to be honest I don't know how much more I am going to after this but I must get these thoughts off my mind

I despise you, Salazar, for making me really like "Gee" (LOL). Sunny, Hyoyeon and SooYoung are just TOO much! (Love Sunny's "Joker" grin). As this thread moves faster than prunes through a digestive system, what really happened with Taeyon (sp?) and the Alicia Keyes statement? I'll be honest, I read a few other forums and blogs and it didn't sound good and kinda turned me away a bit... but not a lot.

Salazar

LowerLevel said:
what really happened with Taeyon (sp?) and the Alicia Keyes statement?.

Depends on how you translate it, I think. And seeing as I can't translate anything, I'm not a terribly good judge.

0aoYC.gif
xKSz4.gif

OazjY.gif

LowerLevel

Salazar said:
Depends on how you translate it, I think. And seeing as I can't translate anything, I'm not a terribly good judge.

0aoYC.gif
xKSz4.gif

OazjY.gif

Fair enough, thank you! Gee is still my guilty pleasure. Of course, Jinusean and Drunken Tiger had me a long time ago. At some point soon I will try 2NE1 or another and hopefully find another good sounding song.

Dice

jokkir said:
I'm so confused what topic I should use. This, or the K-Pop topic :(
This one is mostly for spazzing or discussion of your admiration for the people. The other one is for discussion of the art that they perform.

Salazar

There's a pretty strong possibility that she was saying something along the lines of "hey, I don't usually think black people are pretty, but Alicia Keys is gorgeous". Which is

a) stupid
b) stupid to say
c) stupid to say on a radio broadcast.

LowerLevel

Salazar said:
There's a pretty strong possibility that she was saying something along the lines of "hey, I don't usually think black people are pretty, but Alicia Keys is gorgeous". Which is

a) stupid
b) stupid to say

LMAO! OK, of course it's not like any other star has never said anything foolish. Of course SooYoung made up for it! Still, Sunny is SO bloody gorgeous, and Hyo has that dancers body... They aren't bad singers either.

ramyeon

Salazar said:
sJxIb.gif

Yo Dice.

G1u9S.jpg

I assume a Hyunah live performance is not far off.
Her performance last night on Mnet Choice Awards was amazing.
I'm so confused what topic I should use. This, or the K-Pop topic :(
If in doubt use the K-pop thread for anything sans pic spams ;) More people check and post in that thread even if this one is at the top more.

a) stupid
b) stupid to say
But you're judging something said in Korea with the mindset of a Westerner. They don't have the same understanding of racism as we do; the culture is totally different and has been exposed to foreigners in a totally different way for a much shorter amount of time. Korean people say that kind of stuff a LOT and it's easy to get offended by it, but they mean it in a complimentary way. I think a lot of the outrage over that was in the international community.

Salazar

ramyeon said:
More people check and post in that thread even if this one is at the top more.

aEc1S.gif

ramyeon said:
But you're judging something said in Korea with the mindset of a Westerner.

I understand that the culture is somewhat insular, markedly less racially diverse than ours, profoundly conservative in some ways, and so on. I'm not terribly down on her about it; I just think it was a pretty weak thought that came out badly.

Edit: What Dice said. I defer.

Dice

That Taeyeon racist stuff is some bullshit stupid antis made up. Here is the clip:

http://www.mediafire.com/?5ttmymmgtwm

The Korean is simple enough that I know what she is saying and I don't even speak Korean that well.

She says:
Hangeul: 흑인 친구 정말 너무 예쁜 저
Romanized: Hugin chingu jeongmal nomu yeppeun cho
Transliterated: Black[person] friend really[truly] too[very much] pretty I
Translation: My black friend is really very pretty, I think.

There is no room for anything else in that little bit she said. Even with the completely open design of Korean insofar as word arrangement goes, the meaning is completely clear and simple.

In response the other dude goes:
Hangeul: 맞아요 맞아요
Romanized: Majayo majayo
Translated: That's right/True, true

No awkwardness or hesitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom