• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNSD and K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jessica is only sexy when I can see her bottom teeth.

Salazar

EatChildren said:
Jessica is only sexy when I can see her bottom teeth.

I don't mind the "top teeth only" pics.

A82cU.jpg
tmr2Y.jpg

3VLoQ.jpg
UaA30.jpg

2th

Banned
so thanks to the now other locked thread about this stuff i have watched a video of theirs... they are cute but i am not missing a damn thing. in fact the music was... i dont know it just wasnt that great, that bad or anything... it was just there. would i listen to it for the rest of my life? no thanks.

that being said i think you are all weirdos and i am going back to my ponies.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
2th said:
so thanks to the now other locked thread about this stuff i have watched a video of theirs... they are cute but i am not missing a damn thing. in fact the music was... i dont know it just wasnt that great, that bad or anything... it was just there. would i listen to it for the rest of my life? no thanks.

We're in the lions den, but I feel the same way. I think most K-pop is very "by the numbers" and needs a kick... Someone needs to scream or grunt or something.

I guess it's the same thing I said in the other thread about the physical beatuy of the girls. They're all "by the numbers" beautiful, technically flawless with no out of the ordinary features, and therefore perfectly bland.

If this music was food... It would have no spice. Ironic, for Korea.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You guys saying this out of ignorance is hilarious. As if Gee is some end-all masterpiece of the industry.

Ashhong

2th said:

You scared, me I thought I was in some other thread and that this SNSD thread was locked. What thread are you talking about?

BocoDragon

Dice said:
You guys saying this out of ignorance is hilarious.
My opinion is informed... One of my best friends is a Korean girl who has probably played the whole pantheon of kpop at my house (along with tons of samey ballads :p). I want to like it but little excites me about it except that the girls are cute. And I'm a fan of pop.. even jpop. I think think it tends to lack any kind of punch.

However this is your thread.. I respect that you like it. The girls are nice. I get the appeal and I wish I could share in it. I'm just saying that if I were a k music producer, I would use a lot more "hot sauce" than what I've heard. :p

There is always the chance my friend has bland taste and screened out the music that I'd find appealing.

I'll leave you to your fun.

Dice

It's possible. I tend to hate what kpop girls like.

I mean, if you like jpop... damn.

BocoDragon said:
My opinion is informed... One of my best friends is a Korean girl who has probably played the whole pantheon of kpop at my house (along with tons of samey ballads :p). I want to like it but little excites me about it except that the girls are cute. And I'm a fan of pop.. even jpop. I think think it tends to lack any kind of punch.

However this is your thread.. I respect that you like it. The girls are nice. I get the appeal and I wish I could share in it. I'm just saying that if I were a k music producer, I would use a lot more "hot sauce" than what I've heard. :p

There is always the chance my friend has bland taste and screened out the music that I'd find appealing.

I'll leave you to your fun.

I agree with you. The industry is incredibly corporate and everything is executed with marketing in mind. Managers have strangleholds over their Idols, and the Idols have little to no say in what they do or sing. I could be way off the mark, but that's my take on things.

In saying that, it's fun. SNSD are awesome :)

BocoDragon

I am tempted to dig a little deeper before closing my personal book on kpop completely.

Phonomezer said:
I agree with you. The industry is incredibly corporate and everything is executed with marketing in mind. Managers have strangleholds over their Idols, and the Idols have little to no say in what they do or sing. I could be way off the mark, but that's my take on things.
When I hear things like they can't have boyfriends or whatever, sounds utterly fake, which turns me off greatly... My appeal for a girl isn't threatened by her having a boyfriend anyway.

But I do know a first hand thing or two about how much image matters in Korean culture... 1000x for pop stars, I'm sure.

Phonomezer said:
In saying that, it's fun. SNSD are awesome :)
I get that. I kind of want to like it too :p

Biscuits

It's definitely hard to find creativity and originality in such a profit-driven industry and such a conservative culture. But on the other hand you can't judge kpop by just listening to the music because frankly it isn't that great. Sure you have your catchy tunes here and there but there isn't really any substance. Really it's the choreography, the personalities, and yes the pretty faces that round out the 'experience' of kpop.

Dice

I don't know what you guys are looking for. All the "creativity" and "originality" of the international indie scene has produced 79.7% mediocre-waste-of-time music plus 20% pure shit, and a lot of it ends up sounding exactly like another like 20% of it anyway. Honestly I don't see how the quality ratio of the kpop industry is lower than any other scene. Music follows trends, incorporates elements from a handful styles, develops on top of its influences usually only a little bit and in somewhat expected ways, and once in a blue moon does something truly special. That's how it is everywhere.

Dice said:
I don't know what you guys are looking for. All the "creativity" and "originality" of the international indie scene has produced 79.7% mediocre-waste-of-time music plus 20% pure shit, and a lot of it ends up sounding exactly like another like 20% of it anyway. Honestly I don't see how the quality ratio of the kpop industry is lower than any other scene. Music follows trends, incorporates elements from a handful styles, develops on top of its influences usually only a little bit and in somewhat expected ways, and once in a blue moon does something truly special. That's how it is everywhere.

I'm certainly not trying to compare kpop and other genres, just pointing out how manufactured it is; down to every last detail.

Most Idol groups:

- have to live in dormitories
- have no say over their musical output
- have no say over their image
- have no say over their private life until their contractual obligations have been met
- are at the mercy of profit-driven managers

These are just the fact as far as I know. I would love to be wrong.

But like I said, I still like kpop a lot. I wouldn't be shelling out almost $300 to see some kpop acts in November if I didn't :p

Dice

Why do the performers have to be the creative engine? There are many arts where the performers have absolutely nothing to do with the creation of what they perform.

As for the controlled lifestyle, they know what life they are signing up for when they do. The control of management is usually of great benefit to them because they enter the scene almost completely inexperienced. It is a challenging and high-pressure industry and they need people surrounding them who have much better know-how to guide them through it. Are there restrictions? Yes. Will they overcome more than they ever would have with complete freedom? Probably.

What does "manufactured" even mean and what makes it bad? There isn't a board of managers sitting around a table voting on what the next line in a song should say based on projected profitability. The composition teams get creative, the choreographer gets creative, the stylists get creative. It's not a great deal different from any other stage show, which are often given great respect.

My dad is a singer/songwriter, I have been for almost 14 years, and my brother is involved in theater. Music isn't always and doesn't always need to be some expression of your personal life or views. It is a thing of beauty that can be used for various different purposes. The capacity of ones creativity can easily extend past the limitations of their skill or personhood, and likewise a person's skill at performing can exceed their knowledge and creativity. I really don't see where the problems are when it comes to the methods of the industry. Is it good for all music? Of course not. Music is far too broad of a thing in life for that. Is it good for pop entertainment? Yes, very much so. In fact, much better than a lot of weighty, personal, soul-rending music ever would be for the same purposes.

Salazar

What Dice said.

I tend to think, too, that the ferociously "image-driven" side of it is countered by the overwhelming modesty - not all of which is just phatic.

Yoona arrives. Damn her boots are awesome.

e1isq.jpg

Sealda

Banned
Gotta agree with Dice here:)

Actually i have to say that K-pop got a very high standard in terms of melodies. Mini-albums with very focused content and often times good and melodious songs in general.

You know, if you ever listened to acoustic guitar or piano versions of k-pop songs you notice that they in many ways sounds like the scene in the western world just that the melodies are often 10x better than the western equivalent. Its just that westerners who think they have such a sophisticated music taste despises K-pop because of the way it is packaged. "uh, these girls look like 10 year olds," "uh, they all look the same" , "uh this sounds like ace of base"...even though none of that is true.

Fact is, K-pop is a machine when it comes to pushing out some of the best melodies i ever heard. That is not because the western music business avoids making these melodies. Its because, they often times cannot come up with these melodies. Most of these popular "indie" band or any band in the western world, often times have a really hard time come up with any melody matching the hits of K-pop. A lot of western music is so full of other crap, like being underground, not sounding mainstream that they completely misses the most important point for me with music: MELODY.

Salazar

And it's not like none of them can date.

Goo-Hara has a dude.

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/08/yoo-jae-suk-wanted-to-be-a-politician

On an SBS morning news program, a segment called ‘Star Secret’ delved into the student days of Korea’s popular MC Yoo Jae Suk.

His appearance from his high school days isn’t all too different from his current appearance. However, the written information on his life record was somewhat surprising.

In his first year of high school, he wrote that he wanted to learn management at Yonsei University while his parents wanted him to learn about livestock at Seoul University. Proceeding to his third year, both Yoo Jae Suk and his parents wanted him to learn political science and diplomacy.

Also, under the subject of his behavior, it was written, “He is masculine and has a lot of friends because he is quite active and delightful.”

Lastly, his IQ was also revealed to be considerably higher than normal at 124.

Netizens commented, “Entering the world of politics in the future?” “Study of livestock also suits him well,” and, “His abilities must come from his high IQ.”

GbEOM.jpg

rofl, masculine, active, and delightful.

Dice

Sealda said:
A lot of western music is so full of other crap, like being underground, not sounding mainstream that they completely misses the most important point for me with music: MELODY.
That's why Kara is my favorite. Their composition team makes beautiful melodies not just in vocals but in brilliant, complex arrangements. Some people focus more on beats or how edgy the sounds outputting are and feel that Kara comes off too light or something, but I just hear those delicious melodies weaving together. In listening I feel the whole process of creation, mostly in piano and bass (best basslines in kpop) dynamics, but sometimes more guitar-type composition as well. Their quality was revealed more and more as I upgraded my audio equipment while some others in kpop didn't have anything more to reveal.

BocoDragon

Dice said:
Well as a non-Korean, the only reason I would ever listen to Kpop is if it gave me something new I hadn't heard before. My worry, which has been borne out by what I've heard so far (which is admittedly not everything!), is that it's just catching up with Western/Japanese pop and not doing anything new with it. And because it's not the innovator, but a copy, it's actually less interesting.

And it does sound overly produced. No one is singing in a freaky or passionate way. They're just singing the lyrics in a pitch perfect, upbeat, bland, safe manner. Maybe that appeals to the order and clean image of Korean society... but how can I care?

I want the actual Korean flavor of pop that no one else could do... not the Korean-language clone of international pop.

I liked jpop because when I listened to it, I would hear techno and piano used in ways that I was unfamiliar with in western pop. It was different.

So far I have not heard any unique sound in kpop........ but as I admit, I would love to think that's because I simply haven't heard it yet.

I would say the same thing about k-rap too..... You aren't rapping.. you're just saying lyrics that rhyme. Ya need to SPIT THOSE RAPS son - get a little spittle on the mic (maybe that's very un-Korean, lol).

I just hope that I'm either unexposed to better k music...... or that these are early days on the route to making something uniquely Korean and therefore valuble to the greater world besides "now your pop is sung by some asian chicks". This could be the early days and it will change and evolve.... the west/Japan has had a headstart in being developed media markets.

I do feel bad for shitting on your fav genre in your thread and I don't want to troll anyone here. Keep in mind I'm just being honest about my reaction after being exposed to it for a few years... don't intend to ruin your parade...... If you like it, awesome, please ignore me :)

Dice

BocoDragon said:
Well as a non-Korean, the only reason I would ever listen to Kpop is if it gave me something new I hadn't heard before. My worry, which has been borne out by what I've heard so far (which is admittedly not everything!), is that it's just catching up with Western/Japanese pop and not doing anything new with it. And because it's not the innovator, but a copy, it's actually less interesting.
Well most innovation in the last 10 years have come from Europe and Canada. America is quite a bit shit, really. I know a lot of hipsters who like to think their indie acts are geniuses, but the lot of them are just doing stuff that was done in the 70s except shittier than back then.

And it does sound overly produced. No one is singing in a freaky or passionate way. they're just singing the lyrics in a pitch perfect, upbeat, bland, safe manner. Maybe that appeals to the order and clean image of Korean society... but how can I care?
Speaking of shitty, I don't get why people have to shit things up for it to be good. I mean, I get that there are definitely a good share of idols that are straight out boring, but I also see a deep obsession with image in America. Not a perfect image, but one that has been roughed up. Why you always gotta be so tough, America? Is there no joy in life? I just don't see why light and clean has to be considered lesser. It's only a different side of life for a different purpose.

I want the actual Korean flavor of pop that no one else could do... not the Korean-language clone of international pop.
The word "clone" hurts. I know what you mean, but don't use that word if it isn't literally what you are intending because people will flip out. As for the dirty human soul of Korea, there is plenty of that, it just isn't on the music shows that make it across the ocean.

I would say the same thing about k-rap too..... You aren't rapping.. you're just saying lyrics that rhyme. Ya need to SPIT THOSE RAPS son - get a little spittle on the mic (maybe that's very un-Korean, lol).
Try these: Epik High, Dynamic Duo, Supreme Team, Drunken Tiger, Miss $, DJ DOC, YDG, Uptown, RIMI, The Quiett, Outsider, MC Sniper, TBNY, Double K, e.via

I just hope that I'm either unexposed to better k music...... or that these are early days on the route to making something uniquely Korean and therefore valuble to the greater world besides "now your pop is sung by some asian chicks".
I honestly don't get this. At least not in any way that you can't equally judge any other country for "ripping off" the pop of some other country. Music is happening all over the place all the time and the way influences transfer from nightclub DJ innovations to recording studio is quite smeared about. It is extremely rare that anyone sits in their garage for 5 years while listening to nothing from the outside world and makes something genuinely new from themselves. It's nigh impossible to do that, in fact, and the mere mention of it as if it were a reality consistently occurring as the rich West's great gift to the world is extremely silly to me. Sorry if that offends you.

I do feel bad for shitting on your fav genre in your thread and I don't want to troll anyone here. Keep in mind I'm just being honest about my reaction after being exposed to it for a few years... don't intend to ruin your parade...... If you like it, awesome, please ignore me :)
Well, obviously I agree thoroughly enough to not be shocked or offended because I think your opinion lacks the credibility of making sense in context to reality, lol. But if we are to carry on we probably should move it to the kpop discussion thread rather than the fanboy-over-babes thread.

Dice

And shots from the Dalgona show. I don't want to speak too soon, but we could be on the road back to original Yuri.

http://i.imgur.com/7CyJD.jpg http://i.imgur.com/OJjZw.jpg
I like this Yuri. I'm okay with skinny as long as it is healthy. She looks really vibrant, something different and more radiant about her. Maybe she is getting good exercise rather than just dieting? Or her diet was not just adjusted for calories but true nutrition? I don't know, but before she had some baby fat, then she looked sickly, and now she looks fit and fantastic. Best Yuri, IMO, as someone who was never a big fan.

Dice

The flap of the box lid is under her jaw, blocking view of the side of her neck...

Kyon

Banned
i for one LOVE "manufactured" pop if that's what people wanna call it. seriously especially now that in the US the "manufactured" Pop explosion is over and now its about picking someone from the street with talent and putting them on stage (boring) especially with 95% of them not dancing because they didn't train, seriously only veterans like Bey, Britney, Janet, Madonna etc dance actual choreography still. its sad really. thats what made pop so fun in those days, there was choreo and all that. im most annoyed at the fact that dance music is taking over and STILL in the west the newbies cant dance or wont. Kpop gives me all of that. in the 90's Kpop wasn't as amazing as it is now well some exceptions of course.

filler

Banned
orangecaramel said:
yeah, man.. sorry we had to be the ones that broke the news to you...

DQqyG.jpg

you don't need her, man! we're here for YOU!

Thanks for the support, bro. At least I still got Hyomin.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
lol. come on.. let us see before you do something like this :(

We seem to be hearing this so often lately, and yet another group has been drawn into ’sexually suggestive’ controversies. Dal Shabet recently revealed that they had overhauled their sexy disco outfits to avoid further issues.

On August 9th, Happy Face Entertainment said, “Public broadcast networks have been casting a lot of attention on singers and their outfits as well as their performance styles. In the end, we’ve decided to comply by changing all of their outfits.”

Thus, the outfits that they had already produced won’t be used at all. Instead, the girls will be wearing turtleneck shirts that limit the amount of skin exposure. The company also switched out the shorts for several different pairs of long pants instead.

Representatives continued, “We made the decision to change it because so many staff members had worked so hard on this album and didn’t want anything to stand in its way. We will work that much harder on stage so as to not disappoint the fans.”

Dice

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Just leave the MV as it is, that's all I ask.

Turtlenecks in the middle of summer? WTF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom