• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNSD and K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

panda21

distinct lack of secret all up in this thread since i had to delete all my minus posts D:

C8ssq.jpg

AExaA.jpg

1SHJI.jpg

theres some hi-res boss wallpapers of that fishing game on here (page 3) http://fysecret.tumblr.com/

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
vas_a_morir said:
I notice that Koreans do this little "up down up (slow)down" thing at the end of their sentences. It's really common. You guys know more about Korean than I do by a long shot, am I just imagining this?
You are not. There is a definite "wave pattern" to speech, but how it works obviously depends on the number of syllables and the focus and mood of what you're saying. Still, I would say it doesn't have 1/3 the stress intonation that english has, it just seems... more... musical?

Dice said:
You are not. There is a definite "wave pattern" to speech, but how it works obviously depends on the number of syllables and the focus and mood of what you're saying. Still, I would say it doesn't have 1/3 the stress intonation that english has, it just seems... more... musical?

I had noticed it, but today in our foreign film club we watched "Oldboy" and at the end when the... girl is embracing the... man, she does it like 5 times in a row.

I was also thinking about why Yoona is considered to be so pretty in Korea, and I've come to the conclusion that it is because she is the least Korean-looking. She has big round eyes, a narrow nose (comparatively) and white skin. To me, that's boring. But to Koreans, that's probably considered exotic and interesting.

Dice

broadwayrock said:
Thanks for the heads up on the dodgy image.
You still need to clear out post #1267 as well. Edit: Good job. We have survived the min.us disturbance.

vas_a_morir said:
I was also thinking about why Yoona is considered to be so pretty in Korea, and I've come to the conclusion that it is because she is the least Korean-looking. She has big round eyes, a narrow nose (comparatively) and white skin. To me, that's boring. But to Koreans, that's probably considered exotic and interesting.
I think she's totally gorgeous, but I'll like girls with different features as well. For instance, the rapper in VNT, who is quite unspectacular by Korean media standards.

vanty

Salazar said:
Not as cute as Tiffany, master of the artsy pseudo-Polaroid.

TttwS.jpg
Do the people who love Tiffany so much just not notice the nose, or don't care? Apart from Jessica's weird fake teeth it's the only real negative of any of the SNSD girls for me, but for some reason people are always shitting on Hyoyeon. Though I don't find any of them particularly attractive apart from sometimes Sunny and Sooyoung.

Salazar

panda21 said:
they could call it SNSD burger or something.

And thus, SOSHI-BURGER was born.

vanty said:
Do the people who love Tiffany so much just not notice the nose, or don't care?

I've got to be honest, I've never noticed it as being weird. Dat smile tends to obscure everything.

vanty said:
Though I don't find any of them particularly attractive

ybt2C.gif

panda21

i just noticed near the end of the japanese Kara Mister MV theres a brief cut where Ham is faffing about with her rolled up trouser leg and sort of stumbles back whilst rolling it up some more lol

wuh8J.png

its really obvious, how did they just leave that in?!

Ashhong

Dice said:
Korea has sounds that aren't in english, so it's difficult.

If you see "eo" it's a unique sound. In Seohyun it's not "Sey-o" but rather a lot more like the word "sow" and yet still not exactly that. The sound has a teeny bit of that nasal quality you use when you mimic a crow. The closest thing I can think of is the o in golf. It's a vertical and forward sound.

In "hyun" it is h-yun rather than sounding like h-yoon, which some might think. However, it's more open and rounder than "un" in english, it is like a mix of that and the o in "open"

With Yuri, it's like Yoo-lee except the L is different from our L. It is sometimes mistaken as an R, or even a light D, but it is neither. If you think in terms of an english L sound, the tip of your tongue is touching near the back of your top teeth and that is wrong. If you're thinking in terms of an R, the sides of your tongue are making too much pressure. The best way to think is that it is softer than you imagine, and the shape of your tongue is flatter than you're used to.

Eh? Seohyun is simply pronounced Suh - Hyuhn if you are going by the actual characters. The only reason some might pronounce is differently is because of an accent or something like that. And the R in Yuri is pretty similar to a trilled R, but I cant really explain it any better than you did.

Though you just have to watch like 1 episode of any variety show they have appeared on and you can hear how to pronounce their names.

Oh and the thing with Jessicas name is that Koreans see the double SS and immediately see it as their S equivalent character which I cant type out. However in Korean a double SS has a SH sound, which is why they call her Jeshica for her full name, or just Sica when they split her name in half.

panda21 said:
i just noticed near the end of the japanese Kara Mister MV theres a brief cut where Ham is faffing about with her rolled up trouser leg and sort of stumbles back whilst rolling it up some more lol

http://i.imgur.com/wuh8J.png[IMG]

its really obvious, how did they just leave that in?![/QUOTE]

Ham? Is that a nickname for Nicole? Cant tell who that is.

ramyeon

vanty said:
Do the people who love Tiffany so much just not notice the nose, or don't care? Apart from Jessica's weird fake teeth it's the only real negative of any of the SNSD girls for me, but for some reason people are always shitting on Hyoyeon. Though I don't find any of them particularly attractive apart from sometimes Sunny and Sooyoung.
I don't see all that much wrong with Tiffany's nose - although I don't find her as attractive as most do. But Hyoyeon and Tiffany should not be compared in my opinion. I don't have anything against Hyoyeon but she is definitely the odd one out in SNSD and that's why she gets that many antis.

Dice

Ashhong said:
Eh? Seohyun is simply pronounced Suh - Hyuhn if you are going by the actual characters. The only reason some might pronounce is differently is because of an accent or something like that.
Again, just imagine it all very soft, as the language is soft. If you say straight up that it is just "uh" then Americans will get their idea of "uh" and then somehow make even that too hard sounding. I've seen it happen many times.

Though you just have to watch like 1 episode of any variety show they have appeared on and you can hear how to pronounce their names.
This I can agree with.

Oh and the thing with Jessicas name is that Koreans see the double SS and immediately see it as their S equivalent character which I cant type out. However in Korean a double SS has a SH sound, which is why they call her Jeshica for her full name, or just Sica when they split her name in half.
But they don't make the SH sound the way we do in english. The contact point is more in the middle of the palate, just as the hangul shows. It's with the tongue not the teeth, and like everything else, it ends up being softer. It also doesn't have to be doubled to make that sound, the double is just more forceful.

Seungyeon. Nickname shortened from other nickname, Hamster.

ramyeon

Dice said:
Again, just imagine it all very soft, as the language is soft. If you say straight up that it is just "uh" then Americans will get their idea of "uh" and then somehow make even that too hard sounding. I've seen it happen many times.
As a Korean major though, I wouldn't say the language is soft. There are times when it can be really strong, I guess more so in dialects (Like Pusan dialect for instance). The sounds are completely different though so it makes explaining them hard, as there's no real example in English to draw from. This is the same with almost any other language though. For example there's no real definition between an F/P sound, meaning most Koreans pronounce Tiffany's name as something closer to Tippany but actually it's more of a half way in between sound.

Ashhong

Dice said:

This I can agree with.

But they don't make the SH sound the way we do in english. The contact point is more in the middle of the palate, just as the hangul shows. It's with the tongue not the teeth, and like everything else, it ends up being softer. It also doesn't have to be doubled to make that sound, the double is just more forceful.

Seungyeon. Nickname shortened from other nickname, Hamster.

I'm not sure I know what you're saying about all this. You make it very confusing, and I'm Korean lol.

I was however, mistaken about the SS. You're right, sometimes the SH sound is with SS or just a single S. Knew that was wrong when I typed it.

A hamster, I guess i could go with that. I knew her face looked squished.

ramyeon

Ashhong said:
I'm not sure I know what you're saying about all this. You make it very confusing, and I'm Korean lol.
Putting it in writing makes it so confusing.

Basically unless you're interested in actually learning the language, the names are going to be hard to pronounce and you'll probably get them wrong a lot of them time lol.

Ashhong

ramyeon said:
Putting it in writing makes it so confusing.

Basically unless you're interested in actually learning the language, the names are going to be hard to pronounce and you'll probably get them wrong a lot of them time lol.

Or just watch the show like I suggested lol. Though unless you are going to Korea or something, I don't see a problem with making a "harder" UH sound for Seohyun. It's not a HUGE difference.

ramyeon

Ashhong said:
Or just watch the show like I suggested lol. Though unless you are going to Korea or something, I don't see a problem with making a "harder" UH sound for Seohyun. It's not a HUGE difference.
Watching the shows is all well and good, but it'd be hard to get it right anyway, just from mimicry.

But yeah, like you said, it really doesn't matter unless you actually want to learn the language and be able to speak with native speakers.

Tristam

Ashhong said:
Eh? Seohyun is simply pronounced Suh - Hyuhn if you are going by the actual characters. The only reason some might pronounce is differently is because of an accent or something like that. And the R in Yuri is pretty similar to a trilled R, but I cant really explain it any better than you did.

No, ssang shiot (ㅆ) is just a 'harder' version of its twinless consonant cousin, as all the 'ssang' letters are. They say Jeshica because they pronounce 'shiot' (ㅅ) as 'sh' (rather than 's') anytime it precedes their 'long e' vowel (ㅣ) or the four vowels that signify iotation (ㅑ ya, ㅕ yeo, ㅛ yo, and ㅠ yu.)

So, e.g., Washington D.C. is rendered in hangul as '워싱턴 D.C.'
But shampoo is rendered in hangul as '샴푸'.
And the term for writing ('쓰기') would not be pronounced 'sheu-gi' but 'sseu-gi'.

I do agree with you about the vowels in response to Dice's post. The most I can add is that, as with consonants, Koreans often express vowel sounds in very slightly different ways depending on what (if any) letters precede the vowel and what (if any) letters come afterward.

EDIT: Scratch that, I do agree with Dice that the 'uh' in Seohyun would be slightly softer than what we would pronounce simply looking at the word 'uh'--I form her name more with the front of my mouth than with the back, if that makes any sense. But again, I think it depends on what comes before and after the vowel.

Ashhong

ramyeon said:
Watching the shows is all well and good, but it'd be hard to get it right anyway, just from mimicry.

But yeah, like you said, it really doesn't matter unless you actually want to learn the language and be able to speak with native speakers.

True, guess I can't see it from a non native's perspective regarding the mimicry.

Are you Korean or just majoring in Korean?

^ Yea I was corrected by ramyeon up there. It's been a while since I've actually had to write the characters and got confused for a bit. But goddamn all of this explanation of the language is really confusing. Must be pretty confusing to Americans wanting to learn the language. Suckers =P

ramyeon

Ashhong said:
True, guess I can't see it from a non native's perspective regarding the mimicry.

Just majoring in it, but since I work at an English school I basically talk to Korean people every day (Including my girlfriend) so I've had my pronunciation nitpicked at so much that I think I'm finally in a pretty good place with it.

Tristam

Ashhong said:

^ Yea I was corrected by ramyeon up there. It's been a while since I've actually had to write the characters and got confused for a bit. But goddamn all of this explanation of the language is really confusing. Must be pretty confusing to Americans wanting to learn the language. Suckers =P

Hah! Hangul was a piece of cake to learn. :p Learning how Koreans pronounce things in practice is a bit different than just learning the alphabet though.

ramyeon

Tristam said:
Hah! Hangul was a piece of cake to learn. :p Learning how Koreans pronounce things in practice is a bit different than just learning the alphabet though.
Totally agreed. Hangul is really simple to learn - it was designed to be that way - but what's difficult is when a word is written one way and pronounced another ;)

Dice

Tristam said:
EDIT: Scratch that, I do agree with Dice that the 'uh' in Seohyun would be slightly softer than what we would pronounce simply looking at the word 'uh'--I form her name more with the front of my mouth than with the back, if that makes any sense.
^_^ As I said, it is a vertical and forward sound.

But again, I think it depends on what comes before and after the vowel.
True as well. There is absolutely no replacement for actually talking to Koreans. There are too many dynamics involved, especially since Korean is so damn practical with the way it transitions sounds.

Ashhong

Tristam said:

Yea I meant more the pronouncing part it and anything else you or Dice have said in the last page lol. I've learned that the alphabet itself is pretty easy, my friend's picked up on it in quickly.

Tristam

Dice said:
^_^ As I said, it is a vertical and forward sound.

True as well. There is absolutely no replacement for actually talking to Koreans. There are too many dynamics involved, especially since Korean is so damn practical with the way it transitions sounds.

Yeah, that's key when considering how a Korean might usually pronounce something. They'll stay reasonably within a letter's actual pronunciation and then use whatever slight variation is easiest to say given the letter's location within a word. So, the banmal 'uhdee ga' becomes the jeondaemal 'uhdee kayo' simply because a slightly more aspirated g/k sound comes more easily in the latter.

Forgive the strange romanization, but Korea's ever-changing schemes can also be quite strange. (imagine romanizing the word for 'cute'--gwieoweo. Blegh)

The pronunciation stuff is pretty interesting. My wife and I were thinking of taking a Korean Language course at a university this fall. She won't let me take Chinese with her, so we decided we should try Korean.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
panda21 said:
man SNSD should start their own chain of restaurants

they could call it SNSD burger or something.
i'd pay them to serve me, in over sized hoodies of course. the new maid cafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom