• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNSD and K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiku

Alternatively,

BA78c.png

Alta1r

orangecaramel said:

Lies! I refuse to believe that she doesn't look like Sulli generally and like Jaekyung in that picture.

orangecaramel said:
On October 12th, SM Entertainment revealed that SNSD will release a maxi single (similar to a mini-album) in the United States sometime in November through the well known Universal Music Group under Interscope Records, which currently houses extremely famous talents such as Lady Gaga, Eminem and the Black Eyed Peas.

Furthermore, the girls who had postponed their comeback date in order to better market their album internationally have confirmed their comeback schedule by revealing their release date to be October 19th. This includes an official iTunes release, music video premiere through SM Entertainment’s official YouTube channel and Facebook, and lastly the physical album release in Korea.

Looks like I get the music video for my birthday this year. =D

This US label sounds like good news for Soshi. I'd love to see a remix/collaboration with Eminem, if only for the comedic effect. Hopefully they don't pick up any fashion ideas from the Gaga.

lady-gaga-eminem-2011-06-05-300x300.jpg

filler

Banned
I guess now we know why they went with Teddy Riley, they need that generic American pop sound and he's just the man for the job. New album is going to suck, fuck the world.

Alta1r

filler said:
I guess now we know why they went with Teddy Riley, they need that generic American pop sound and he's just the man for the job. New album is going to suck, fuck the world.

Have some faith dawg. Besides, they look better than ever. That's good enough for me.

Conceptor

Swag, even though I knew you lurked it, seeing you post in here is a little surreal :lol.
Shoutouts to Kagete and Meteo
Sent you a FR on steam btw, OC.

EZHpq.jpg
ZNXi0.jpg

Alta1r said:
Lies! I refuse to believe that she doesn't look like Sulli generally and like Jaekyung in that picture.

S0n9B.gif

Swag

Conceptor said:
Swag, even though I knew you lurked it, seeing you post in here is a little surreal :lol.
Shoutouts to Kagete and Meteo
I'm just trying to get in on the fun bro <3

Fafnir

Alta1r said:
This US label sounds like good news for Soshi. I'd love to see a remix/collaboration with Eminem, if only for the comedic effect. Hopefully they don't pick up any fashion ideas from the Gaga.

I'm waiting for the collab with Gaga w/ Eminem guest rapping and BEP doing the remix. Not really, but I am hoping to see them perform on US MTV Music Awards for more world exposure.

AgkBp.gif

Peru

They get sponsored clothes all the time and have to selca it to fulfill their obligation or something.

And a maxi-single? Do those things exist in the west anymore? Do they count as albums, formally? I guess it's a physical product then.. maybe? So many new questions with each update.

Alta1r

Fafnir said:
I'm waiting for the collab with Gaga w/ Eminem guest rapping and BEP doing the remix.

Lol. I would give that track a chance. Maybe they can get Kanye in on it as well. I know he did a track with JYJ so he's not new to the whole Korean scene (although I think that song was entirely in English).

Just finished watching RM64. Awesome episode.
I still think the teams should have stayed the same as before. Switching them up was good so that we got a little variety in there but the original teams were perfect pairings.

I'm jealous of Kook and Gary.
Protecting their wristbands from Suk-Seo basically meant being all over Taengoo/Yoona for the 2-5 minutes that it took Suk-Seo to rip them off. Especially that last one with Kook and Taengoo. He was basically just bearhugging her, lol. How they got Sica/HaHa was kind of funny, albeit a bit anticlimactic.

Out of all the members it seemed like Yuri was genuinely disturbed the whole day about not getting a chance to get her makeup on. The others seemed like they were worried at first but then got used to it and then stopped caring. But Yuri seemed like she couldn't wait to get out of there. Maybe she was just having a bad day or something. In any case, I'm definitely going to re-watch it once SSFS or iSubs gets it up.

Bet wise
either nobody wins since Seo took the second day's challenge or the Taengoo team wins since they won the most challenges overall.

And since wrestling gifs are awesome:
People%2527s+Elbow.gif

Also, bigger version of the concept:
tumblr_lsxrib5tLW1qd704zo1_1280.jpg

hey guys!

got a preview of my project for you all that I mentioned a while back!

flys2b.jpg

as you may or may not know i'm a tournament SSF4 and MVC3 player. And in honor of the new tournament season starting up I switching up my artwork on my stick for a new year.

I went with Gyuri who is my favorite <3<3 on the main side, and I couldn't find a good super high res pic of Sooyoung so I went with my third favorite Sunny.

this is just a preview, and i'm hoping to have it finished by next week in time for the Dromstruction tournament in norcal.

will post pics when it's finished :D

Conceptor

EraldoCoil said:
this is just a preview, and i'm hoping to have it finished by next week in time for the Dromstruction tournament in norcal.

will post pics when it's finished :D

Dude that's friggen awesome. Custom fight sticks always look nice. Looking forward to it

Ranvier

orangecaramel said:

Sunhwa looks abnormally good here. While I don't think she's bad looking, shes simply way too pale for my tastes and whenever I see her, I'm reminded of

125662_magikarp.gif
5108-vpc5qfd8fv.jpg

I think its the lips. I'm also not a fan of the teef. They kinda slant in and are discolored.

Also, despite my love of SNSD, I'm not sure their engirsh song is going to fly here. Its not their music that makes them popular, its the overall package. Sure they are hot and 3-4 can sing but its their entertainment/variety show skills that put them over the top. And as we've discussed before, that kind of stuff doesn't fly here in Amerika. As a pure music group, I don't think it will work. They already have so many dings against them.

9 girl group...its no longer 2002.

Aaeygo, while I understand it now that I've been eased into the culture that shit is going to set them back in the States. If Sunny even attempts to bust out "cuteness that deserves a punch" I fear they will immediately go the way of Jessica Black and be laughing stocks.

Lastly it's the fact that only Taengoo, Sica, Fany, and Seohyun can truly sing (Sunny has a good voice too as long as the producers don't force her into that super high voice like the one she did in Echo). People are going to wonder why in the hell the others are even there.

I say they stick to Cover's of English songs and have a entire show just dedicated to them. It doesn't even have to be about anything, camera's can just follow them around and I would watch the heck of of it.

In the end I think SM is just being greedy. They already have legions of fans overseas (
case in point this thread
) and them pushing English songs is going to turn off people who already like them. I say stick to what's already working and start another variety show like Hello Baby.

Biscuits

So supposedly SM was approached by Interscope instead of the other way around, that's pretty big.

hey mr. onion what do you think of snsd releasing their single under interscope records? had a bit of a browse through their artist list and damn, that is one impressive list. does this mean that snsd's possible value or impact on the american market is being realised because they're being released under such a big record label?

You could say the same thing about Universal, their label in Japan.

I was told by a very reliable source several days ago, that Interscope approached SM at the last minute; SM didn’t go to Interscope. That is huge.

Sure, SM changed their long-term plans and readjusted schedules for Interscope, but the point is that Interscope wanted to be first in to release SNSD in America. There were no immediate plans for an American foray, but a large American record label asked SM, uninvited, to be the ones to make it happen. Again, that is huge.

We basically have a premier American record label trying to convince SM that SNSD will work in America and that they want the rights. Once more, that is huge. Whether they were being serious or whether they just wanted to be the first to tap into the K-Pop phenomenon is a different story altogether.

SNSD’s supposed value in the American market is likely to be a small fraction of their power in Asia but rest assured, they will be taking one further step forward in building a bridge to America for future K-Pop acts.

Salazar

I agree about variety being the hook, Ranvier. There's a strange mix of omg flawless goddesses and down-to-earthness that the whole package, so to speak, pulls you in with.

Now watching that Jaekyung and Hyosung Star Golden Bell.

Nq3VV.jpg

Conceptor

;_________; the last bit was a good way to end it. Hats off to the production team and everyone involved.
goodbye dara-cam ;__;

Peru

Ranvier said:
Aaeygo, while I understand it now that I've been eased into the culture that shit is going to set them back in the States. If Sunny even attempts to bust out "cuteness that deserves a punch" I fear they will immediately go the way of Jessica Black and be laughing stocks.

Lastly it's the fact that only Taengoo, Sica, Fany, and Seohyun can truly sing (Sunny has a good voice too as long as the producers don't force her into that super high voice like the one she did in Echo). People are going to wonder why in the hell the others are even there.

Having 5 out of 9 class vocalists is more than the Pussycat Dolls - who had ONE, and have been successful. The many successful UK girl groups have often lacked a single great vocalist. There are a lot of obstacles for k-pop acts breaking the west but that's not one of them.

Alta1r

Salazar said:
Salazar said:
Yeah.

Alta1r, more of flawless Hyosung.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpLMgyS9XlA

Awww yeeeahhhh, Jaekyung. Hyosung can definitely dance.
But so can Hyogre and Min.

tumblr_lsxt2grGHz1qdon7so1_500.jpg

Ranvier said:
Also, despite my love of SNSD, I'm not sure their engirsh song is going to fly here. Its not their music that makes them popular, its the overall package. Sure they are hot and 3-4 can sing but its their entertainment/variety show skills that put them over the top. And as we've discussed before, that kind of stuff doesn't fly here in Amerika. As a pure music group, I don't think it will work. They already have so many dings against them.

I don't think they'll be topping charts or anything. But if SM/Universal can tap even one or two niche groups to buy the CD/mp3s they'll probably make more money here than they do for record sales in Korea. And I think Universal is probably pretty confident about the 12-17 year old girls demographic. With some high profile marketing they'll probably lap up anything Universal/SM puts out there.

I wonder if this means Soshi's going to get more sexed up to match American tastes.

7d4a0596jw1dm15sv9tfej.jpg

vanty

Within 6 months no one will even remember SNSD released any song in America. They should be focusing 100% on Japan, forget about America and only do enough stuff in Korea to avoid psycho fans wanting to kill them for moving to greener pastures.

On one hand i'm glad that Secret is not going with the sickly 'cute' look/sound, but on the other hand i'm not too keen on the drag queen look.....

tdk6c.jpg

605Yz.jpg

Salazar

vanty said:
only do enough stuff in Korea to avoid psycho fans wanting to kill them for moving to greener pastures.

Fany, Sunny, Sooyoung RM has to happen.

Beyond that, I want Soshi in Idol Sports. Obliterate some rookies.

vBCIy.gif

NoEul:

VdxVW.jpg

VMJza.jpg

Alta1r

vanty said:
Within 6 months no one will even remember SNSD released any song in America. They should be focusing 100% on Japan, forget about America and only do enough stuff in Korea to avoid psycho fans wanting to kill them for moving to greener pastures.

I don't think it really matters whether anyone remembers SNSD or not. Get one hit and cash in and then you're just playing with house money. Just by sheer numbers, it's a risk that has a decent chance of paying off for SM. With about 3x the population of Japan and the hallyu wave probably at the highest it's ever been, SM has a pretty decent chance of getting some record sales $$. And with a major label putting a few of its own eggs into the basket the numbers just look better. If they can get one big name to collaborate on an all-English track they might even make it onto pop radio stations for a few weeks. The downside is pretty minor. Lose some money and that's about it. Not like anyone in Korea or Japan is going to forget them like what happened with WG. The upside is through the roof though.

yoona1gif.gif

Peru

This is what they should be doing, though, what I've asked for before. Soft releases. Please the international fan base with some English content, perhaps get a bit more exposure, probe the interest, but not risk years actually promoting there, thinking that a hit is likely.

Except for 2NE1. They should use all those YG friends to go big. And now is the time, stop wasting time in Asia.

Niks

I think it will all come down if I-sones buy the english speaking album in large quantities inatead of the korean version.

Meh who knows.. Its certainly a gamble, worst case scenario its a flop, isones hate it, and they go back to only sing in korean/japanese.

Peru

It's not really a gamble, that's why I like it. They're just putting it out there, the song is one released in Korean anyway, etc. I do suspect that mini-album will be better than the Korean album, though. Just a hunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom