• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNSD and K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ashhong said:
Angles, diet, etc etc. Once they come back to performing they will be perfect again. Guaranteed.
Never forget.

v8iR3.jpg

Dice

Some oldies from a golden era...

imwt7C.jpg

imvAMW.jpg

imzZ92.jpg

imv8EO.jpg

im0K2q.jpg

im0ifY.jpg

imvJt2.jpg

im0fXQ.jpg

She makes mean look good.

Revisited for Japan...
imwvFK.jpg

imzX1u.jpg

im0Iui.jpg

imvHlu.jpg

Dice

T-ara megapost. Enjoy.

Hyomin

im0538.jpg

imvAJg.jpg

imvJpC.jpg

imv8AY.jpg

imwiPk.jpg

Hwayoung

imzZ5C.jpg

ikjMHu.jpg

ikf892.jpg

ikjXvY.jpg

imwgHc.jpg

Qri

im0fUa.jpg

imwpn8.jpg

Jiyeon

imzXx4.jpg

im07BG.jpg

im0fYg.jpg

Soyeon

im0igo.jpg

imvHh4.jpg

im0ici.jpg

Boram

imvHlA.jpg

Eunjung

ikjVnQ.jpg

imwrvG.jpg

Assorted/Offstage

im0Eae.jpg

datass made it assorted

ikjxhM.jpg

ikjzpU.jpg

ikf0cW.jpg

ikf61u.jpg

ikjOP2.jpg

ikfxUO.jpg

Jiyeon is only technically there but IU is cute and her BFF

Cute gifs

CFfdp.gif
yFe9t.gif

KeHFa.gif
xyyex.gif

lm1Uw.gif
IToA7.gif

Wjb2p.gif

smurfx

get some go again
nice to see eunjung "talents" get more recognition by you guys. ;P btw who is that girl in your avatar yamamoto?

Dice

CaptYamato said:
Why did she laugh?
Oppa is what a girl calls an older guy. She should have said eonni.

That should be common knowledge in this thread. How much Korean education do we need to give?

Ashhong

Dice said:
T-ara megapost. Enjoy.

Have I told you lately that I love you?

I never noticed the other beauties in T-ara. Qri and Hwayoung are pretty cute. I love how you only put one picture of Boram.

^5

Dice said:

That should be common knowledge in this thread. How much Korean education do we need to give?

I don't study the language. Just watch their movies and sometimes listen to their music. Check out the hot chicks. Which brings me to a question. Have you seen Cyrano Agency? I fell in love with Lee Min-Jung.

Dice

Some Kara, but mostly the versatile Nicole.

02HbE.gif

VNqFx.gif

Pwc1e.gif

eT7Fg.gif

gRJxM.gif

9k31B.gif

51NBq.gif

xke0F.gif

ozYIG.gif

EBRSy.gif

im0fCy.jpg

im0hK6.jpg

imwree.jpg

im07ue.jpg

imwi78.jpg

im05lW.jpg

imwoVW.jpg

im0DI2.jpg

im0FQA.jpg

Pretty, sexy, casual, cute, glamorous, rock star, whatever you need, she can bring it. She's not really cutesy cute like Hara and some other girls, but I think her face is the type that will keep more character and age better. I know an old lady who probably looked like her when she was young.

Dice said:

Is stuff like this going away - I mean calling your boyf a brother and honorifics and polite terms and all that.

There are some comparisons in the English language and western culture - not so much stuff like oppa, but using formal terms to elders etc and to some degree today people prefer being called 'sir' by a stranger. But this is pretty minimal to non-existent these days and is nothing compared to the theatrics of Korean practise.

I'm wondering as time goes on that there will be less use of formal language to elders etc?

Back on topic, no matter what I see of Girls Generation, they will never top military theme!

Oh and that lass called Boram - is she a true Essex girl, does she dance round her handbag? ;o) (the English surname Boram originates from the town of the same name from the 13th century or something).

Dice

tubgirlsplumber said:
Is stuff like this going away - I mean calling your boyf a brother and honorifics and polite terms and all that.
No. The attitude around them may loosen or the meaning broaden (for instance, girls call their boyfriend oppa as a cute thing, like "sweetie") but those terms are here to stay.

There are some comparisons in the English language and western culture - not so much stuff like oppa, but using formal terms to elders etc and to some degree today people prefer being called 'sir' by a stranger. But this is pretty minimal to non-existent these days and is nothing compared to the theatrics of Korean practise.

I'm wondering as time goes on that there will be less use of formal language to elders etc?
The word "theatrics" doesn't come off very understanding or nice. I recommend not using that word when speaking to any Koreans about it.

There is evidence that some of it is getting a bit looser with the influence of the internet where you don't know if someone you're talking to is older or younger than you, male or female, what sort of job or position in society they have, etc. However, this translating into everyday life of the culture is an entirely different matter. It's much different than the western culture. Trust me, I can tell by you asking this that you have no idea how strongly Confucian models are tied to the Korean identity or how strong the grip of that is. If it does go away, it won't be in our lifetime.

Dice said:
No. The attitude around them may loosen or the meaning broaden (for instance, girls call their boyfriend oppa as a cute thing, like "sweetie") but those terms are here to stay.

The word "theatrics" doesn't come off very understanding or nice. I recommend not using that word when speaking to any Koreans about it.

There is evidence that some of it is getting a bit looser with the influence of the internet where you don't know if someone you're talking to is older or younger than you, male or female, what sort of job or position in society they have, etc. However, this translating into everyday life of the culture is an entirely different matter. It's much different than the western culture. Trust me, I can tell by you asking this that you have no idea how strongly Confucian models are tied to the Korean identity or how strong the grip of that is. If it does go away, it won't be in our lifetime.

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess the idea of gauging how you address someone because of their age, or job or 'social status' seems completely alien.

If I'm honest, it seems a bit dated - why should I be extra polite to someone because they're a doctor or a year older, or speak casually to an unemployed person or a kid?

Maybe I have the wrong handle on it, and I am by no means literally comparing but, it reminds me of the days of class distinction, from a bygone era.

Ok this is just language use we are talking about but, you just get the vibe that you are prejudged by what you are and not who you are.

Dice

Ok this is just language use we are talking about but, you just get the vibe that you are prejudged by what you are and not who you are.
It's not like you are thinking.

First of all, what I mean by social status is in a sense of real seniority and authority over you. If a person has been doing your job longer, you give them proper respect. If someone is a cop or a judge or your boss, you give them respect, etc. It's not that you go and treat people like garbage because they don't make as much money as you or something. I'm sure some do, as every society manifests that sort of prejudice, but it is in other ways most of the time.

Secondly, tied with the honor is a role. Younger ones respect and listen to older ones, and the older ones care after and advise the younger ones. A friend of mine is the oldest in her group of (Korean girl) friends, and she has often talked to me about the pressures on her from that. Same for seniority in a field of work, or some other way that a person would function as a teacher to you. Family has order as well but more intimacy, and generally with peers you are pretty friendly and as a distinct generation you learn to function together well, guided by the older generation and guiding the younger.

It is different, and it does have drawbacks but it also has many benefits, which you can plainly see in the rapid progress Korea has been making and (if you share life within the culture) a clearly visible warmth and strong bond of community in different groups within the larger community. It can be abused, but that doesn't mean that it always is or that it should be discontinued because of those abuses. Is it old? Yes. Is it archaic? I'd say that is a poor characterization of it based on false equivocations you are making to the vapid and vain pleasantries of our culture.

I would also ask if you think it is even possible to be judged for "who you are" in general society? Do you think that happens elsewhere? If so, how? I don't think it does because I don't think you can. It takes time and investment to know what a person is really like, and most social interactions aren't on that level. I think a system that automatically grants each individual their generally earned measures of both dignity and responsibility is a very good thing to have in place as a starting point for new relationships.

Thanks a lot for that.

I know literally nothing about Korean culture / history - in any meaningful way that is.

My only exposure has been through films and some music, which is pretty poor on my part really.

I should apply myself to acquiring actual knowledge, to gain a better understanding and appreciation of and for the things I like.

Tristam

Dice said:
It's not like you are thinking.

First of all, what I mean by social status is in a sense of real seniority and authority over you. If a person has been doing your job longer, you give them proper respect. If someone is a cop or a judge or your boss, you give them respect, etc. It's not that you go and treat people like garbage because they don't make as much money as you or something. I'm sure some do, as every society manifests that sort of prejudice, but it is in other ways most of the time.

Secondly, tied with the honor is a role. Younger ones respect and listen to older ones, and the older ones care after and advise the younger ones. A friend of mine is the oldest in her group of (Korean girl) friends, and she has often talked to me about the pressures on her from that. Same for seniority in a field of work, or some other way that a person would function as a teacher to you. Family has order as well but more intimacy, and generally with peers you are pretty friendly and as a distinct generation you learn to function together well, guided by the older generation and guiding the younger.

It is different, and it does have drawbacks but it also has many benefits, which you can plainly see in the rapid progress Korea has been making and (if you share life within the culture) a clearly visible warmth and strong bond of community in different groups within the larger community. It can be abused, but that doesn't mean that it always is or that it should be discontinued because of those abuses. Is it old? Yes. Is it archaic? I'd say that is a poor characterization of it based on false equivocations you are making to the vapid and vain pleasantries of our culture.

I would also ask if you think it is even possible to be judged for "who you are" in general society? Do you think that happens elsewhere? If so, how? I don't think it does because I don't think you can. It takes time and investment to know what a person is really like, and most social interactions aren't on that level. I think a system that automatically grants each individual their generally earned measures of both dignity and responsibility is a very good thing to have in place as a starting point for new relationships.

Dice, while you perfectly enunciate some of Korean culture's intricacies, it has had little to nothing to do with its rapid development. Korean culture was plenty present in Korean society in the late 1950s--blooming, in fact, after years of Japanese repression--when an internal report from USAID termed Korea a "bottomless pit." The country's development is the consequence of (a.) heavy American investment as part of the U.S.'s larger geopolitical strategy, and (b.) a policy of short-term import substitution industrialization with the aim of (c.) building an economy that is, in the long term, supported by exports and a correspondingly healthy trade surplus.

As for the boldfaced passage, that's an incredibly rosy depiction of how Confucian ideals work in practice. The presumption that everyone has earned the dignity and responsibility that society accords to them, whether through age or rank or status, is as unrealistic as the libertarian presumption that everyone has earned every penny that they've ever received.

Dice

Cool, I'm still learning about Korean history. You could say my sources are biased, being mostly Korean.

As for the other part, that is why I put the word "generally" in there. There are plenty of times where people get more or less than they deserve, but in general if you grew up in that system, simply dealing with it up to whatever point you are means you earned it in some measure. What I was trying to express is the automatic weight and connection it creates. Some people would call it burdensome, and some people would call people who say that flighty. It is certainly different from our American free-for-all society with a culture of hippies propped up on a history of frontiersmen.

Tristam

Dice said:
Cool, I'm still learning about Korean history. You could say my sources are biased, being mostly Korean.

By sources, do you mean actual academics or friends and acquaintances? If the latter, my only advice is to distrust the opinions of laymen, especially in matters that are in all likelihood outside their intellectual depth. I'm sure some Americans would love to attribute America's position in the world to the country's culture or entrepreneurial spirit or whatever, but I have no patience for the modern understanding of "American exceptionalism" and my guess is that you don't either.

My sources are Korean as well, by the way--if you'd like to read about Korea's history of development, I highly recommend reading Chang Hajoon's work.

Ashhong

This has to be one of the longest pages of the thread. The pictures are so huge it's as if there are 200 posts here. Time to take it to a new page!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom