• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So…. Why is Machine Games Indy and not the next Quake?

aerts1js

So I’m watching this new Indy trailer and no one can possibly want to play a first person game with a whip as the main weapon. Plus Indiana Jones is such a fucking weird IP to base a big budget game on.

Machine Games made amazing quake expansion packs and helped with the recent Doom one.

So I gotta ask why am I watching a trailer for a game in a movie franchise that no one even cares about and not Quake 5?

Last I checked the most recent movie made back like $30 of its massive budget.

The coming to PS5 message at the end felt more like a threat than a celebration.

Edit: Posted while trying to fix my title dammit. Makes as much sense as this game I guess.

Second edit: I’m not saying that the developer sucks as indicated by the quake and doom compliments.. more like wasting their talents on a franchise that no one cares about.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Chris Farley Idk GIF

So I’m watching this new Indy trailer and no one can possibly want to play a first person game with a whip as the main weapon. Plus Indiana Jones is such a fucking weird IP base a big budget game on

Machine Games made amazing quake expansion packs and helped with the recent Doom one.

So I gotta ask why am I watching a trailer for a game in a movie franchise that no one even cares about anymore and not Quake 5?

Edit: Posted while trying to fix my title dammit. Makes as much sense as this game I guess.

I'm sure this and the latest movie probably started development around the same time and Disney thought, oh yeah, Indiana Jones is gonna be BACK, baby. But games takes much longer, then the movie was a wet fart but the game is too far along to cancel, so here we are.

Last edited:

ManaByte

So I’m watching this new Indy trailer and no one can possibly want to play a first person game with a whip as the main weapon. Plus Indiana Jones is such a fucking weird IP to base a big budget game on.

So I gotta ask why am I watching a trailer for a game in a movie franchise that no one even cares about and not Quake 5?

Because the same devs made one of the best first person games of all time with Riddick.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No one cares about Quake aside from some boomers who are nostalgic about that IP.

Same goes for Indiana Jones but Indy has that Disney money which is why they are making that. Same goes for all the star wars and marvel IPs in development. These studios are basically paid to make these games and they are somewhat risk free due to the IPs being popular.

MiguelItUp

They've probably been working on Indy for like 4-5 years bro.
Pretty much this. As far as I know, Indy was being developed for a long while. In that time Quake Champions' support has gotten smaller and smaller. So, I'd LIKE to think that if Machine Games WERE to work on Quake, it would be next.

This years Quakecon felt SO much more DOOM focused and not Quake focused, which is kind of odd because it IS Quakecon. Every year has leaned really hard on the Quake competitive scene playing a big role, but not this year.

I know a lot of people are skeptical about Indy, but I'm pretty hyped considering Machine Games is made up of devs that worked on Riddick and The Darkness. I loved both a ton, so I'm hopeful.

No one cares about Quake aside from some boomers who are nostalgic about that IP.
Eh, the same could be said about DOOM and Wolfenstein to a certain degree. Both have been revisited quite a bit over the decades. Quake, not as much. So, personally, I think it may just be a matter of time at this point.

Last edited:

aerts1js

Same goes for Indiana Jones but Indy has that Disney money which is why they are making that. Same goes for all the star wars and marvel IPs in development. These studios are basically paid to make these games and they are somewhat risk free due to the IPs being popular.
Indiana Jones is so risk free it lost the studio hundreds of millions of dollars. You are literally making no sense.

Ozriel

M$FT
Indiana Jones is so risk free it lost the studio hundreds of millions of dollars. You are literally making no sense.

That’s like arguing nobody cares about the Star Wars franchise just because Star Wars Acolyte just flopped and got discontinued.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Let me explain how game works:
- company has lots of internal ideas and creates some pitches
- one or a couple pitches turns into very early demo
- company shows to publisher demo
- publisher aproves or not. If a publisher is the owner of the dev company, they choose to them to make other pitches or just do a job the publisher wants

Some examples of publisher direction while the devs have other projects: The Coalition to do Gears 5. Retro to make Metroid Prime 3. Halo in the hands of 343

Some examples of dev companies having the project greenlit: Retro with Metroid Prime. Rare with the entire N64 catalog. Double Fine making Psychonauts 2

Weird scenarios: Capcom making a team to make Resident Evil 4 and making Devil May Cry instead, then creating another team and creating the hook demo of RE4, then changing the team again and creating the masterpiece we got

aerts1js

That’s like arguing nobody cares about the Star Wars franchise just because Star Wars Acolyte just flopped and got discontinued.
Stop it. it’s nothing like that.

The last successful Indiana Jones movie was when….? Even the response to the refrigerator one was lukewarm.

No one is asking for an Indiana Jones game.

Mownoc

Because the only multiplayer shooter you're allowed to make is 4v4/5v5 hero shooters.

Unreal Tournament or Quake is illegal.

Last edited:

Xevo

I find it rather unlikely that Disney pays the developer to make a game based on their ip -normally its the other way around.

Dazraell

To my understanding, Bethesda was talking with Disney about some games on licence from them and Todd Howard had an idea for a game about Indiana Jones. He envisioned it as something that was similar to what MachineGames did in the past (devs from this studio worked on Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay) and got them on board to work on this game. I think that after Indy their next game won't be Quake but Wolfenstein III

SHA

They wanted to go big, they don't want niche numbers like wolfenstein, give them a chance, discussions actually happen internally about pretty much what you see in these threads, they aren't entirely strangers to us.

Dazraell

I mean, people said the same thing about Wolfenstein when they were working on The New Order. Devs from MachineGames said multiple times they love Quake and would be interested in doing something with it. But honestly I think that after Indy they will probably first focus on finishing Wolfenstein trilogy. They still have some loose ends to wrap up and a certain confrontation they were building towards in The New Colossus

They had the opportunity to work on a classic film IP and took it. But like Disney, they have now come to the realization that most people just don't give a shit about Indy these days.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I find it rather unlikely that Disney pays the developer to make a game based on their ip -normally its the other way around.
Yeah the Insomniac leak showed it is a massive amount of money to get the rights to spiderman at least, maybe Indy was going cheap.

ManaByte

Yeah the Insomniac leak showed it is a massive amount of money to get the rights to spiderman at least, maybe Indy was going cheap.

Marvel Games offered Insomniac an exclusive of any character they wanted. They chose Spider-Man. But since Disney makes nearly $2 Billion a year in Spider-Man merchandise licensing, that character has a big license fee attached. If they picked something like Moon Knight they could've saved a lot of money.

simpatico

Gold Member
Irony bros. It's the fault of irony bros. Guys who love bourbon, beards and bacon. They've got mandolorian boxer shorts. Wait in line to see cape shit movies at the theaters. PIckle Rick plushie on their bed. They've convinced themselves and the entertainment industry that we need to resurrect every movie franchise made between 1970 and 1999. I was just thinking about how bad of an idea it was to make this game. Naughty Dog already explored the shit out of what you can do with the IP. Anything they missed Crystal Dynamics picked up in the TR trilogy. I don't see what is left to do. Hopefully I'm wrong and they find some cool shit for us to play through. I'm just scared it's going to be an inferior Riddick Butcher Bay.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Irony bros. It's the fault of irony bros. Guys who love bourbon, beards and bacon. They've got mandolorian boxer shorts. Wait in line to see cape shit movies at the theaters. PIckle Rick plushie on their bed. They've convinced themselves and the entertainment industry that we need to resurrect every movie franchise made between 1970 and 1999. I was just thinking about how bad of an idea it was to make this game. Naughty Dog already explored the shit out of what you can do with the IP. Anything they missed Crystal Dynamics picked up in the TR trilogy. I don't see what is left to do. Hopefully I'm wrong and they find some cool shit for us to play through. I'm just scared it's going to be an inferior Riddick Butcher Bay.

Excuse Me What GIF by Nickelodeon

Edder1

These guys are woke clowns who made a badass character like B.J. Blazkowicz an emotional cry baby and turned the whole series into political melodrama.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
they did awful with wolfenstein, they arent that good of developers.
Ignoring the last one with the sisters, I think awful is a strong word. They are very well made games but VERY uneven in terms of gameplay balance. New Colossus especially with the endlessly spawning hitscan enemies that would appear right behind you. Not sure if they ever patched that out. Hopefully Indy is a less frustrating experience.

simpatico

Gold Member
they did awful with wolfenstein, they arent that good of developers.
Not entirely false. The first one was good, the DLC was good, but everything after that was beneath trash. Wolfenstein II looked up to games like RedFall and Far Cry 13. There was talent there, they just haven't been seen for over a decade.

SkylineRKR

I would say Indy is quite ballsy in fact. The last movie bombed horribly, the previous one which is quite old by now was hated. In gaming the IP was dormant for many years. You can't compare it to SW which had succesful games recently, and succesful series and movies not too long ago.

About Wolfenstein. Fuck New Colossus. Its a zoomer piece of shit. I absolutely adored TNO, but this sequel sucks ass. Level design, encounter design, BJ being a cuck, the ridiculous amount of commanders raising alarms.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Because MSFT need their cinematic 3rd person game to compete with all of Sony's cinematic 3rd person games, and MG was available.

Edit: actually, I'm dumb. This is 1st person, isn't it?

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

They wanted to go big, they don't want niche numbers like wolfenstein, give them a chance, discussions actually happen internally about pretty much what you see in these threads, they aren't entirely strangers to us.
Funny thing to say when this game will probably have niche numbers considering the last Indy movie was a box office bomb.

But doesn't it happen often where a games studio creates a popular game (wolfenstein) then their parent company gives them a big ip to handle as their next game?

Deerock71

I trust MachineGames with the next Indy, because Escape From Butcher Bay made you feel like a bonafide BADASS with a brain. Indy fits into that mold quite nicely.

wipeout364

Are we supposed to complain about companies making new IP games or complain about making sequels I am losing the narrative.

On topic, isn’t Machinegames the guys who made the Darkness, and Riddick escape from butcher bay two of the best IP games ever made. Then as Machinegames making the amazing Wolfenstein New Order.

Anyways the OP making another crap on Xbox/MS thread. But this time trying to stealth it a bit more. Not sure why I am responding.

Top Bottom