• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So…. Why is Machine Games Indy and not the next Quake?

Kokoloko85

Indian jones gives a chance for something new. It doesnt seem like a typical FPS so its actually quite refreshing. We have Tomb Raider and Unchatyed in 3rd person, but nothing like Indiana Jones in First Person

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Isn't quake mostly a multiplayer franchise these days? Not machine games strongest points.

Sadly, you don't get to make a AAA single player fps these without a huge IP attached to it .

wipeout364

Quake has a serious problem in 2024. I don’t think you can make a Quake game and sell it to the modern audience.

No one is going to play a FPS without ADS. No one wants an arena shooter.

I love Quake and played a fair bit of Quake Champions until it became a wasteland and the writing was on the wall that it was being abandoned.

Not sure why the OP thinks a Quake game would outsell an Indy game.

FeastYoEyes

I am more wondering why they aren't finishing the Wolfenstein trilogy. It's time we go together to toe with Mecha Hitler.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Who gives a shit what the last Indy movie did, when this a completely unrelated project? Personally I grew up with the franchise, and would rather roll the dice on a new Indy game over a new Quake.

Also first person whip action can be great.

Last edited:

SHA

Funny thing to say when this game will probably have niche numbers considering the last Indy movie was a box office bomb.
The average age of consoles demographic doesn't change, this hobby isn't for kids, I'm talking numbers.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
If they want to do Indy I feel like that’s the right choice. What matters is that their passion is there and that there are people who love the IP at the studio.

I’d personally rather have seen a continuation of Wolfenstein, but from the little I’ve seen Indy looks surprisingly decent imo.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
No one cares about Quake aside from some boomers who are nostalgic about that IP.

Same goes for Indiana Jones but Indy has that Disney money which is why they are making that. Same goes for all the star wars and marvel IPs in development. These studios are basically paid to make these games and they are somewhat risk free due to the IPs being popular.
I agree but they rebooted Wolfenstein pretty well (twice actually) so they could do it for Quake, no?

SHA

Are we supposed to complain about companies making new IP games or complain about making sequels I am losing the narrative.

On topic, isn’t Machinegames the guys who made the Darkness, and Riddick escape from butcher bay two of the best IP games ever made. Then as Machinegames making the amazing Wolfenstein New Order.

Anyways the OP making another crap on Xbox/MS thread. But this time trying to stealth it a bit more. Not sure why I am responding.
Peanut brains can't see beyond game awards and trophies, there's actually a whole world of games that didn't get the attention they deserve but still doing well, it's like watching the hobbit series, people watch it for the experience, not for Oscar awards.

Toots

Gold Member
Because the only multiplayer shooter you're allowed to make is 4v4/5v5 hero shooters.

Unreal Tournament or Quake is illegal.
On one hand i have a ground breaking phd thesis showing direct correlation between the dumbing down of competitive fps and the dumbing down of society as a whole, on the other hand i don't want to end up suicided by todd howard (who is the Hillary clinton of videogaming, just think about it).
Confused Kid Cudi GIF by Apple Music

Production on an Indiana Jones game would have been far too along on the process to stop when dial of destiny turned out to be a dud.

As for quake, even if we assume everybody at ID would love to make another quake game, the funding has to come from somewhere. And for the people who make those decisions, I don't think it's more complicated than looking at quake champions and saying "That's a bust, quake doesn't sell"

In this financial environment, I would bet ID had to go to the mat with the executives at Microsoft and Bethesda just to get funding for the nightdive remasters.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I respect Quake, but I don't see why I should believe that a Quake game will be, by default, better than an Indy game.

Hudo

So I’m watching this new Indy trailer and no one can possibly want to play a first person game with a whip as the main weapon. Plus Indiana Jones is such a fucking weird IP to base a big budget game on.

Machine Games made amazing quake expansion packs and helped with the recent Doom one.

So I gotta ask why am I watching a trailer for a game in a movie franchise that no one even cares about and not Quake 5?

Last I checked the most recent movie made back like $30 of its massive budget.

The coming to PS5 message at the end felt more like a threat than a celebration.

Edit: Posted while trying to fix my title dammit. Makes as much sense as this game I guess.

Second edit: I’m not saying that the developer sucks as indicated by the quake and doom compliments.. more like wasting their talents on a franchise that no one cares about.
Because Indiana Jones and Wolfenstein are set in the same universe

Actually Im more surprised we got a new DooM instead of Quake especially since there were rumours about a reboot and it felt like after the success of DooM, Quake would make the next logical IP sense to make money off of.

DAHGAMING

Il give this Indy game ago but its not realy for me, not a big fan of the films but maybe I will enjoy it for its gameplay as I enjoy there other games. I would rather a Quake or another Wolfenstein from them but hopefully that will be there next game. With this Indy game not far from being finished and the next Doom coming next year, maybe Machinegames can finish there Wolfenstein series and ID can reboot Quake, each studio assisting each other.

BlackTron

I have to think long and hard on what the best path would be for a studio that insists on making first person games.

So I’m watching this new Indy trailer and no one can possibly want to play a first person game with a whip as the main weapon. Plus Indiana Jones is such a fucking weird IP to base a big budget game on.

Machine Games made amazing quake expansion packs and helped with the recent Doom one.

So I gotta ask why am I watching a trailer for a game in a movie franchise that no one even cares about and not Quake 5?

Last I checked the most recent movie made back like $30 of its massive budget.

The coming to PS5 message at the end felt more like a threat than a celebration.

Edit: Posted while trying to fix my title dammit. Makes as much sense as this game I guess.

Second edit: I’m not saying that the developer sucks as indicated by the quake and doom compliments.. more like wasting their talents on a franchise that no one cares about.
Dude this game is going to be fucking awesome. They are finally taking that promise of the Euphoria physics engine from the cancelled Staff of Kings PS3 game and making it a reality.

SHA

You mean the same demographic that didn't go to the movies to watch the dial of destiny?
The Last movie didn't matter, it won't change who they are, just search about consoles demographic, the biggest piece of pie is the same since the beginning, from Atari to be fair, this isn't good news actually, it'll eventually threaten the future of consoles.

aerts1js

Try to enjoy games again OP.
Believe it or not, but i’m playing through the Halo games on my steam deck right now and having a great time. Not as great of a time as the quake remasters but still decent. Looks fantastic on the deck.

I’d still be angry if say bungie’s next game would be say based on something idiotic like the national treasure IP. Although I guess Marathon is close.

All of the people comparing this to riddick then sure why not make another riddick game.. I personally have no interest in the Indy IP and seems most people agree based on the last movies numbers.

sainraja

I think they should have designed the game with third-person in mind but willing to give it a chance as a first-person game but I feel adventures type games are better suited with third-person.

aerts1js

Quake has a serious problem in 2024. I don’t think you can make a Quake game and sell it to the modern audience.

No one is going to play a FPS without ADS. No one wants an arena shooter.

I love Quake and played a fair bit of Quake Champions until it became a wasteland and the writing was on the wall that it was being abandoned.

Not sure why the OP thinks a Quake game would outsell an Indy game.
Bruh people said the exact same thing about Doom and Wolfenstein prior to those games coming out. Quake is no different.

Hudo

This makes about as much since as stating bananas are better than Pringles. You are comparing two completely different things.
Look, man. I was not the one initiating this comparison. I am only going with the flow.

Also: Bananas are indeed better than Pringles.

yurqqa

Modern Quake won't be that different from modern Doom except aestethics. And we already have new Doom game that feels aestetically as a mix between Doom and Quake.

And first person Indiana Jones sounds interesting. Although we have tons of great FPSes, they never topped Jedi Knight and Mirror's Edge in some feeling of being there (I don't know how to explain that). Maybe Indy will.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
As much as I love MG (clocked like 80+ hours in both Wolfenstein games) so far I'm just not feeling it. Showed FPS snippets looked whacky and without proper respone. Whip especially.

I do hope I'll change my mind after deep dive, but so fat the descision to go with FPS perspective feels like a mistake to soften the genre change for the developer.

StueyDuck

The answer is that they most likely got the licensing deal back before Disney started losing it's biggest fans and when the whole dei stuff was cool.

So they probably thought it was fiscally the smarter idea at the time.

Studios sometimes want to branch out. They are a great FPS studio and they’ve proven that.

It’s likely that Microsoft/Bethesda asked them because they had faith they could make a good game and the studio didn’t want to just churn out more “standard” FPS games.

It’s also just as likely that Machine Games themselves wanted to for the same reasons.

Making the same games over and over again would likely make the team burnt out and having the chance to do something different and/or “not in their wheelhouse” might reinvigorate them.

Same thing with Playground. Nobody expected Playground to make Fable since they are a racing studio but it gives them a chance to branch out. I know it’s separate teams but it’s not like they appeared out of thin air to make Indy/Fable.

That being said. I don’t really think the game looks great. It looks like a clunky Uncharted clone which is funny considering Uncharted is basically Indiana Jones.

Last edited:

aerts1js

Modern Quake won't be that different from modern Doom except aestethics. And we already have new Doom game that feels aestetically as a mix between Doom and Quake.

And first person Indiana Jones sounds interesting. Although we have tons of great FPSes, they never topped Jedi Knight and Mirror's Edge in some feeling of being there (I don't know how to explain that). Maybe Indy will.
It’s a shame we haven’t seen a new Jedi Knight game..

SkylineRKR

Quake was a more advanced Doom with less personality that eventually branched out to being an arena shooter. No one buys those games these days.

If they want to make Quake appealing, they need to make it like Doom. In which case they're better off making a new Doom which has established lore.

I don't know what they could do with the Quake IP, besides making something that would be Quake in name only.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
Believe it or not, but i’m playing through the Halo games on my steam deck right now and having a great time. Not as great of a time as the quake remasters but still decent. Looks fantastic on the deck.

I’d still be angry if say bungie’s next game would be say based on something idiotic like the national treasure IP. Although I guess Marathon is close.

All of the people comparing this to riddick then sure why not make another riddick game.. I personally have no interest in the Indy IP and seems most people agree based on the last movies numbers.
I liked the Riddick games- both of them- but

"It's been 80 years" how many of those people still work at Machine Games?

And

Riddick was bad ass character the story made those games what they were. You can't just copy that.

Dr_Salt

Doom's gameplay is nothing similar to Quake. You can't even strafe jump or bunny hop.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Disney probably pitched this when they thought the Indy franchise was going to make a great comeback with "Dial of Destiny".

They also probably expected this game have launched already by 2023.

Top Bottom