• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So has Sony handed over the hardware sales crown for the next 2 months to M$?

There, anecdotally, is still somewhat of a shortage of PS2's, plus you know every store employee is going to tell customers one or more of the following

1) The new PS2 is just around the corner
2) The new PS2 won't support the HDD, so they've lost functionality
3) The new PS2 is nothing more than a pointless cosmetic change
4) Just get the Xbox

There's still 30% of this month left for PS2 sales to really slow down. And October will probably be brutal. And finally, the wildcard, will the new PS2 have any effect on Xbox sales both now and until the end of the year?

So Sony has decided to kill the patient and hope to revive him. Pretty dangerous.

And yes, I know GBA (price drop to $79) will outsell the nearest competitor probably 2.5-1 or 3-1 in Sept. I'm not counting that obviously

Deku Tree

sonycowboy said:
And yes, I know GBA (price drop to $79) will outsell the nearest competitor probably 2.5-1 or 3-1 in Sept. I'm not counting that obviously

So you don't think this news of the DS will hurt GBA sales too?

Deku Tree said:
So you don't think this news of the DS will hurt GBA sales too?

Whatever amount the DS might hurt is more than offset by the increase in sales because of the price drop. I think the clientele is substantially different with respect to adoption of new systems.

1st Born

sp0rsk said:
the no hdd thing isnt a factor in america.

Maybe not to gamers, but to developers. Square-Enix is going to be hurt by this. No potenital to grow in the Playstation market, and they will have to stop production of the PS2 game.

sp0rsk said:
the no hdd thing isnt a factor in america.

Maybe not to your average consumer if they lived in a vacuum, but when you factor in store employees, websites, & other media analysis, it's going to be a huge talking point. IMO.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
already suggested this in one of the anticipatory "new PS2" threads :)

and, yeah, like sp0rsk said, the HDD is of pretty limited value in NA anyway. Shame to lose it, but I doubt that will create a perceptible value loss for the type of people who would be considering a game console at this point anyway.

Chi-Town

Most consumers are pretty clueless so I don't think it will affect PS2 sales in a big way BUT there will be an effect. I'm sure there are some consumers who have been waiting to get a PS2 and this will delay their purchase til November.

snapty00

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Maybe not to your average consumer if they lived in a vacuum, but when you factor in store employees, websites, & other media analysis, it's going to be a huge talking point. IMO.
Nah, I really don't think so. I think that'll be a non-factor. PlayStation 2 could be crushed for the rest of its days, but it won't be because of the lack of hard-drive functionality.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
sonycowboy said:

im a store employee and i can tell you only about 1% care about the HD.

Elios83

sonycowboy said:
There, anecdotally, is still somewhat of a shortage of PS2's, plus you know every store employee is going to tell customers one or more of the following

1) The new PS2 is just around the corner
2) The new PS2 won't support the HDD, so they've lost functionality
3) The new PS2 is nothing more than a pointless cosmetic change
4) Just get the Xbox

There's still 30% of this month left for PS2 sales to really slow down. And October will probably be brutal. And finally, the wildcard, will the new PS2 have any effect on Xbox sales both now and until the end of the year?

So Sony has decided to kill the patient and hope to revive him. Pretty dangerous.

I don't think Sony will leave the market uncovered for two months,most probably Sony was caught unprepared with the high sales of PS2 after the price drop while they were already limiting the shipments for this new model (they distributed no PS2 in the Usa during their Q1 April-June with the price cut in mid May).
Plus it's in the interest of every store to sell old articles they have in the warehouse before the new model comes out,so I think it's the contrary,they will encourage customers to buy the remaining units of the old model.

SyNapSe

I don't think the hard drive will make much of an impact. People waiting for the new model PS2 might dent sales slightly.. but I doubt for the month of Sept.. There will have to be advertising before most consumers take notice.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Where is this shortage stuff coming from? Both Ebgames.com and Gamestop.com show PS2's in stock as did quick calls to a few local stores.... who is out right now?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
DarienA said:
Where is this shortage stuff coming from? Both Ebgames.com and Gamestop.com show PS2's in stock as did quick calls to a few local stores.... who is out right now?

We were out for almost a month. they are better stocked now but it was slim pickens for a while. It pained me not to be able to tell people to go to best buy and grab one. Don't they go to other stores for games =/

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
scola said:
We were out for almost a month. they are better stocked now but it was slim pickens for a while. It pained me not to be able to tell people to go to best buy and grab one. Don't they go to other stores for games =/

Yes I know there WAS a shortage, but I'm talking about now. sc is saying there is still a shortage... that's not what I'm hearing.

DarienA said:
Yes I know there WAS a shortage, but I'm talking about now. sc is saying there is still a shortage... that's not what I'm hearing.

As I stated it's anecdotal at best. There have been posts saying many stores are still out although around me, they're mostly back, although still not at the inventory levels we saw months ago at places like Best Buy, CC, Target, and others. They're still a little light.

I'm not saying there still is a shortage, just that some people claim that there is. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
DarienA said:
Oh sorry. Its a bit early for me ;)

Yeah, now I have seen them everywhere, even normally understocked stores.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Just have the mods change your name to "microsoftcowboy" to be on the safe side...

cowboy.jpg

neptunes

I hope they do a firmware upgrade so the people can use USB HDD's.

Thats the only way I see it, or that sony will release their own hdd.

segasonic

neptunes said:
I hope they do a firmware upgrade so the people can use USB HDD's.

Thats the only way I see it, or that sony will release their own hdd.

You wouldn't want that: USB1 = slow as shit.

Top Bottom