• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I just dled Soulseek.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattx5

Ok, all I knew before I dled it was that it was a good file sharing program.

First of all, is it only for music files, because that's all I'm finding.

Second, why are all my songs remotely queued?

Third, if my place in line is like 300, is it going to take me a long ass time to download songs?

Fourth, is there any way to organize my songs using Soulseek besides manually going into the folder and arranging the files myself? I take it that the program is strictly used for dling, and if I want to organize my stuff into playlists and groups I'm gonna have to use Winamp or something?

No, it's not only for music files.

Because you're probably downloading from people that have people in line.

Probably.

It's strictly for downloading. All organization you have to do by yourself.

LakeEarth

Yeah you see everyone who has the file, including people who are already being downloaded off of. Only click ones with people without being in queue (the black ones)

mattx5

So what should I look for when d/ling a file to ensure best results?

What's the difference between the black and grey text?

Edit - Ok, so only the black ones. Just out of curiosity, how long is it going to take for a song to dl if I'm in place 300 in the line? Are we talking minutes, hours?

warhead

Black = No que
Grey = Que

If you want to D/L albums, rightclik on one of the albumfiles and select Download Containing Folder.

mattx5

Ok, thanks for the tips :)

Edit - Sweet, you can do multiple searches at once.

Is there any way I can make it show all the black files in a group, rather than having to wade through all the grey ones?

If you look there should be a tab that says "Number in que" or something like that, if you click it, it'll sort the filse by how many people the person has in queue.

mattx5

Ok, that helped considerably.

Thanks again :)

Edit - Just out of curiosity, does it continuously search, or at one point does it stop?

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Q: Do you have to pay to use SoulSeek? The site I was gonna d/l off of said to use it you need to pay some fee... and the website was in german or something...

fart

Savant
slsk.blogspot.com has all the beta releases. or the beta release since zir has apparently decided to never write another line of code again rolleyes rolleyes

yoshifumi

Banned
if you donate money you can cut in line for a month, it's a pretty good deal. five bucks to snake everybody is pretty sweet.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
In regards to what I posted earlier about the site asking me to pay:

This is simply a notice for those using the previous fixes of the Soulseek client to please update your client software. The previous Soulseek domain (slsk.org) has been rebought, and it is not the client, nor does it have anything to do with Soulseek whatsoever. The program offered from the site is Mainpean Stardialer. Those having problems with popups or adverts may be having problems due to this fact. Remember, when and if you give the site URL out, that it is http://www.slsknet.org, and no longer http://www.slsk.org. Cheers.

nitewulf

mattx5 said:
So what should I look for when d/ling a file to ensure best results?

What's the difference between the black and grey text?

Edit - Ok, so only the black ones. Just out of curiosity, how long is it going to take for a song to dl if I'm in place 300 in the line? Are we talking minutes, hours?

really depends on the bandwidth of that person and how many ppl he allows to download off of him at a time. some i had 200+ position but the downloads started off in minutes.

yoshifumi

Banned
TheQueen'sOwn said:
Thanks guys... um another
Q: What is your average d/l speed?

average speed is really misleading...for example, mine says 117 kb/s, but that's because at school i have a really fast connection, and at home it's much much slower. you won't really find too many people on slsk whose average speed is actually accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom