• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So late, I should be kicked square in the nuts... Metroid Prime

jedimike

I was getting some stuff at WalMart today, and as always I cruise the electronics section. Noticed that MP was like $19 so I grab it. I have no idea why I avoided this game. Most peeps here know that I heavily favor my Xbox over my cube, but I've always grabbed the "big" ones from Nintendo... SMS, Zelda, but never MP. I think I just thought the hud would bother me because I like my screan as clutter free as possible.

First off, the game is absolutely gorgeous. Nice sharp textures, clean lines, vibrant colors. My favorite part of the game so far has been the music. I'm totally digging it. It definitely has a classic sci-fi movie vibe. I guess that my only real minor complaint has been the difficulty level. It seems really easy. Of course I just started so the difficulty will hopefully progress.

By far my favorite GC game. I don't understand why MP sales aren't equal to or greater than Halo, because this is definitely a must have GC title.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
*thud*

How many times are we gonna have the SAME exact thread?

Oh, and you could always fade the HUD out. *thud*

Edit - Congrats on the purchase. Awesome game. Enjoy.

Pre-emptive Edit 2 - The controls are FUCKING PERFECT.

neptunes

I am currently playing it for the first time also and I wish I had component cables, but anyway.

where are you in terms of percentage?

HAOHMARU

I got stuck in this game and never finished it. I started to get pissed because I explored every part that I could access but couldn't find the way to get to that next stage.

I'll get back to it eventually... >_<

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One of my favorite games of all time. Totally took me be suprise and left me dying for more. I can't wait for the sequel. :)

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
My favorite game so far this gen, not that others are bad or get bitchslapped by metroid prime, its just that, metroid prime is the most immersive game i've played this gen so far and the exploration side is unmatched. I've played throught the game a good 5 or 6 times since its launch, and will probably be itching to replay it after finishing ToS.

Just so damn good.

Just thinking about what i've read and seen of metroid prime 2, i get a huge grin on my face. To think that its the same retro studio as the one that was in a rather bad spotlight in ~2001 that pulled this off. Im still shocked they did it. I still remember the mega huge freaking thread on IGN's forums when they said that metroid cube would be an fps, haha, teh funny.

AniHawk

I think I'm one of the few Nintendo fans who doesn't get the MP love. Could never find the fun factor like I was in the GBA Metroids.

MP2E though... That game actually has me interested. Multiplayer mode was great fun.

jedimike said:
I should be kicked square in the nuts...

I can help you with that.

Chrono

Banned
Buggy Loop said:
Just thinking about what i've read and seen of metroid prime 2, i get a huge grin on my face. To think that its the same retro studio as the one that was in a rather bad spotlight in ~2001 that pulled this off. Im still shocked they did it. I still remember the mega huge freaking thread on IGN's forums when they said that metroid cube would be an fps, haha, teh funny.

those were rough times... I was expecting to hear stories on CNN about gamers flipping out and killing people.

Mejilan

I agree with Buggy Loop 100%. Except for two points. I won't be replaying it after I finish ToS, and I haven't played it 5-6 times, only 3.

xabre

Banned
I guess that my only real minor complaint has been the difficulty level. It seems really easy. Of course I just started so the difficulty will hopefully progress.

I've had the game several months now and still haven't finished it, and it wasn't through lack of trying either. It's the final boss and the lead up to fighting it that's the problem.

Mejilan

The Impact Crater really isn't that hard.
Sprint through quickly and plant the occasional Power Bomb if a Fusion Metroid catches you. I only had to free myself thusly twice when playing through last time on Hard, and that still left 5 for the final fights.

xabre

Banned
No the impact crater isn't difficult per say, just a bit annoying since you'll inevitably lose heath which you need for the final boss fight (which is what I have trouble with).

metroid prime is truly a great game. i rank it up there with halo and ico. these are the types of games that make me remain a gamer. in all honesty though, i wish they would have saved the sequel for nintendo's revolution. i'm worried that mp2 will just feel like more of the same. one thing i respect about nintendo is that they don't usually have a new installment in one of their franchises every one or two years (with the exception of mario party). i'd just hate to see them burn the public out on metroid--especially since it's one of the coolest franchises they have. i'm sure the sequel will be excellent but...

Chrono

Banned
={<SMOKE>}= said:
metroid prime is truly a great game. i rank it up there with halo and ico. these are the types of games that make me remain a gamer. in all honesty though, i wish they would have saved the sequel for nintendo's revolution. i'm worried that mp2 will just feel like more of the same. one thing i respect about nintendo is that they don't usually have a new installment in one of their franchises every one or two years (with the exception of mario party). i'd just hate to see them burn the public out on metroid--especially since it's one of the coolest franchises they have. i'm sure the sequel will be excellent but...

Well right now there's no way they'll push it to the Revolution-- it's definitely coming out on the cube. However, I agree with you that this was a rather fast sequel. I really do hope Retro Studios does some thing else for their first Revolution game and not MP3.

My only gripe is that they totally skimped on the purple/pink bubbly side of classic metroid.
Thankfully Echoes is looking much more purple. Not that that matters at all.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoy it. It is always nice to see people wade through fankid bullshit and just enjoy the games (this goes both ways, all three ways actually). I found the game immersive, fun and addictive, despite a few shortcomings.

But admit it you just picked it up because that upcoming starwars game is taking a few cues from the HUD ;)
j/k

jedimike said:
By far my favorite GC game. I don't understand why MP sales aren't equal to or greater than Halo, because this is definitely a must have GC title.
The multiplayer. I know scores of people, many that aren't huge video game fans by any means, that are huge on Halo and regularly hold 'Halo parties', myself having hosted several of them. It's also one of the few console games I know of that has (or had) a lot of appeal to the PC gaming crowd.

How far have you gotten? The beginning starts off rather easy, as the game sort of slowly eases you into it after losing all your powers. It gets difficult later on, especially in the Phazon mines. All of the bosses are nice and tough, too. Well, at least all the ones I've been able to face. :( Damn my broken Gamecube.

MP is absolute gaming perfection. Atmospere, immersion, environments, music, design, etc., etc.

I am frothing at the mouth for MP2E.

My only complaint about MP is that for me I couldn't figure out what to do next many times. Because of that, I had to read the walkthrough on IGN too much. That sorta spoiled a lot of the game for me. But, with MP2E, I'm just gonna grin and bear it and make it through on my own.

Anyway, greatest final boss ever. Its literally a 45 minute battle.

siamesedreamer said:
My only complaint about MP is that for me I couldn't figure out what to do next many times. Because of that, I had to read the walkthrough on IGN too much. That sorta spoiled a lot of the game for me. But, with MP2E, I'm just gonna grin and bear it and make it through on my own.

wtf.

Anyhow. I've played through MP one and a half time - never actually ended up with the powered up versions of the Ice beam/plasma... :O so I might go through and get them this time round - I think I stopped playing 2nd go when I go slaughtered by the robot in the mines. Maybe.. its been a while. Everything about this game rocked.

the thing with metroid prime is that it is extremely immersive. if you're the type that enjoys games just for the sake of getting lost in another world, then mp is for you. the art, layout, and music all blend seemlessly. and the controls are spot-on (i, for one, wouldn't expect anything less from an entry in one of nintendo's large franchises), whether you dig the control scheme or not. i wouldn't call the game perfect, but it's about as close as you can get. i hope you guys enjoy it!

I'd stay up all night with Prime when I first got it. By the time the sun was rising I was actually within the world of Prime and when I'd step away from the TV it'd take me a few minutes to realize I wasn't in the Phendrana Drifts, for example.
My favorite game this generation alongside Ninja Gaiden.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Meier said:
Salivating at Prime 2's arrival.

Ditto. Why do people critisize Nintendo for bringing out 2 installments of Prime, but not MGS3, GT4, Halo 2, J&D2, J&D3, R&C2, Splinter Cell 3, etc.? After reading that Game Informers article my anticipation for this title was +1000. As they revealed significant changes were indeed being implemented. I was shocked that Retro had only finished the 1st level by last year's E3 showing. Retro with even more polish time on Echoes? (froth)

Kuroyume

Banned
Li Mu Bai said:
Ditto. Why do people critisize Nintendo for bringing out 2 installments of Prime, but not MGS3, GT4, Halo 2, J&D2, J&D3, R&C2, Splinter Cell 3, etc.? After reading that Game Informers article my anticipation for this title was +1000. As they revealed significant changes were indeed being implemented. I was shocked that Retro had only finished the 1st level by last year's E3 showing. Retro with even more polish time on Echoes? (froth)

Many people have been criticizing Ubisoft for SC3 more than any other game...

Welcome to the club, now get in line for the spanking machine.

IMO, MP is one of the best games this gen, and MP2 comes in as my most wanted game, second only to Halo 2.

Deg

Banned
neptunes said:
I am currently playing it for the first time also and I wish I had component cables, but anyway.

One of my recommended games for Surround sound and Progressive scan.

Bought this with my GC yesterday. Very impressed thus far. I do have some problems navigating with the weird control scheme, but they have nailed the metroid feel right on the head so far. :)

I loved Metroid Prime, clean, diverse graphics, smooth framerate, and the fact that the 3rd person ball controls so well. If I could play the whole game in morph ball form, I would.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to purchase the player's choice version of Prime as I've heard their was new content added?

Gorgie said:
I'm wondering if it's worth it to purchase the player's choice version of Prime as I've heard their was new content added?

I know they've added some cut-scenes (don't know which one though), and fixed some bugs (like the elevator one).

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
A really good game, but I did have some problems with it. Some gameplay ideas left me a bit frustrated, like the different colored metroids. Even though it's not that hard to change your weapon, there sometimes was TOO much changing. It was fun going through it (except for the irritating last segment including the last boss), but I don't feel like playing it from start again.

Because whenever I think about doing that, I see all those complex 3D environments you have to interpret through your 3D map (and I looked at the map quite a lot). Many rooms, many platforms to keep track of, many high places to fall down from, running back and forth between worlds because you don't know where to go next, and when you DO know you have to spend time figuring out how to get there. And when you try to get there, you get stuck in some boring fight with a pirate that you've gone through many times before, and you don't gain anything from actually fighting it, but you're forced to anyway.

And yeah, all you fans will probably blame all these "problems" entirely on me for not being able to play the game properly. ;)

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Phendrana Drifts has to be the best level/world this gen. It was gorgeous, some of the enviroenments were huge, there were genuinely creepy moments, some excellent fights, a great boss and the music...oh man, the music! Awesome.

I just hope the environments are as varied in Echoes. So far from the screens we've seen, everything's looked very similar to me (to each other, not to the original). Whilw there are differences, they all look like they could belong to the same area. Whereas in Prime, you'd really struggle to mix up the areas. I realise it's more realistic not to have snow and lava and greenery and so on right next to each other, but it doesn't necessarily make it better. I just find games which don't put you in really different looking environments annoying, as demonstrated by Mario Sunshine.

I also find it strange that Retro are "conscientious in avoiding the often-used lava and ice levels found in many Metroid titles" (from Game Informer). Now lava, ok, but ice? I admit, it's been a hell of a long time since I've played most of the Metroid games, but I don't remember any snow or ice levels in Metroid games before Prime. Not that I mind them not having that sort of world in the next game, I just don't want them to think that they should avoid it from now on (snow levels always somehow end up being my favourites, so I might be slightly biased here).

Mama Smurf said:
Phendrana Drifts has to be the best level/world this gen. It was gorgeous, some of the enviroenments were huge, there were genuinely creepy moments, some excellent fights, a great boss and the music...oh man, the music! Awesome.

I just hope the environments are as varied in Echoes. So far from the screens we've seen, everything's looked very similar to me (to each other, not to the original). Whilw there are differences, they all look like they could belong to the same area. Whereas in Prime, you'd really struggle to mix up the areas. I realise it's more realistic not to have snow and lava and greenery and so on right next to each other, but it doesn't necessarily make it better. I just find games which don't put you in really different looking environments annoying, as demonstrated by Mario Sunshine.

I also find it strange that Retro are "conscientious in avoiding the often-used lava and ice levels found in many Metroid titles" (from Game Informer). Now lava, ok, but ice? I admit, it's been a hell of a long time since I've played most of the Metroid games, but I don't remember any snow or ice levels in Metroid games before Prime. Not that I mind them not having that sort of world in the next game, I just don't want them to think that they should avoid it from now on (snow levels always somehow end up being my favourites, so I might be slightly biased here).

I've been on a MP2E media blackout since way back but the last time I've seen screens - they did look very samey. But then... you didn't really know what to expect in Prime till you started exploring the game, did you? I don't expect the sequel to be less suprising.. I think there will be great visual complexity between the light/dark worlds. MP is also about seeing the world through your visors and the echo visor/dark visor have gotten me rather excited.

GOTY!

COCKLES

being watched
jedimike said:

Metroid's presentation is outstanding and it's a perfect 3D translation of the old NES/SNES games in a 3D realm. And there lies it's problem. It's identical to the old games. Kill some enemies, go back into a room and they have respawned in the same identical places as before. It's old gameplay dressed up in a new shiny coat of paint.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
COCKLES said:
Metroid's presentation is outstanding and it's a perfect 3D translation of the old NES/SNES games in a 3D realm. And there lies it's problem. It's identical to the old games. Kill some enemies, go back into a room and they have respawned in the same identical places as before. It's old gameplay dressed up in a new shiny coat of paint.

I agree, but what a coat of paint! Not the most fun I've had by any stretch but it's one of the most polished/produced feeling games I've ever played. Props to that.

Deg

Banned
Amazing game. I did have trouble on some bits. It wasnt exactly amazing near the start in the Chozo ruins as it was frustrating for me. But the rest of the game blew me away. I played it with hints on. Much better than without IMO. Actually i used the hints whenever i got stuck or just wanted to progress quickly.

={<SMOKE>}= said:

IAWTP.

I absolutely loved Metroid Prime and it was the freshest gaming experience I've had since the N64 days. But for some reason I have no anticipation for its sequel! And I'm not sure why. I guess it is because it's been not that long since the original title. I have much more anticipation for Zelda and RE4 because they look to be substantially different to their previous games. But maybe Metroid Prime 2 will be like Majora's Mask in that it looks very similar in screenshots but once you get your hands on the game its a fantastic new experience but still feels similar to the previous game.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Metroid's the only first-person game I've ever completed from beginning to end. It's perfect in just about every way.

Top Bottom