• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So where are the Black people in Fable?

Prine

Banned
KOTOR allowed me to be black, and considering its a RPG that relies heavily on customisation, i thought we'd have access to skin colour :(

AniHawk

belgurdo said:
Can't be a woman, can't be any race besides white...that's some deep "total immersion," man

Is that something they cut? I thought I saw an ad or something with a female main character.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
belgurdo said:
Can't be a woman, can't be any race besides white...that's some deep "total immersion," man

...yet it makes sense. I'd rather have them focus on other aspects of the game rather than worrying about multiple character types. I mean, the changes required to make the game work with both sexes would actually be pretty large (which is why it was cut).

belgurdo

Banned
AniHawk said:
Is that something they cut? I thought I saw an ad or something with a female main character.

Yeah, supposedly they cut gender selection but you can still buy female clothes, and the script changes accordingly. Makes one wonder who they've got on the dev team if they went through all that trouble

AniHawk

dark10x said:
...yet it makes sense. I'd rather have them focus on other aspects of the game rather than worrying about multiple character types. I mean, the changes required to make the game work with both sexes would actually be pretty large (which is why it was cut).

belgurdo said:
Yeah, supposedly they cut gender selection but you can still buy female clothes, and the script changes accordingly.

pilonv1

There's already one game for featuring a black man as a lead character this year, that's already more than enough for conservative white America (see gamefaqs). Cultural diversity is great, as long as they don't have to be a part of it. :rolleyes:

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I don't understand, why can't they put in a few different shades of skin colour? You don't have to have anyone react differently to you or anything.

I mean I get the woman thing, but the skin colour? Very strange. Won't affect me buying it, I'd have undoubtedly chosen a white character anyway, but for others it's a strange choice.

AniHawk

dark10x said:
Wow, thanks for the deep post...

I'm just curious if you knew about what belgurdo was saying, since he says the script changes accordingly. Wouldn't that conflict with what you said?

Plus, the game has been in development for about forever and a year. If KOTOR could get different scripts working in less time, why the hell can't Fable?

What Mama Smurf said too.

Gantz

Banned
LOL! I was going to post a similar thread about Doom3! Where are the black people?! Only Asian and White people live on Mars?! WTF?

dark10x

Mama Smurf said:
I don't understand, why can't they put in a few different shades of skin colour? You don't have to have anyone react differently to you or anything.

I mean I get the woman thing, but the skin colour? Very strange. Won't affect me buying it, I'd have undoubtedly chosen a white character anyway, but for others it's a strange choice.

Yeah, I agree...it seems like it would be easy to allow that. I don't understand why they didn't add that feature, quite honestly. That would be such a simple addition.

There's already one game for featuring a black man as a lead character this year, that's already more than enough for conservative white America (see gamefaqs). Cultural diversity is great, as long as they don't have to be a part of it.

...just don't forget that Fable is NOT an American game.

I'm just curious if you knew about what belgurdo was saying, since he says the script changes accordingly. Wouldn't that conflict with what you said?

I actually did NOT know about that aspect, however, I don't think what he said would work. I'd imagine the responses you get when dressed like that were fairly quick and simple to add and simply result in a lot of people freaking out. Considering a lot of the interation details that have been added, it still seems like it would have required a lot of work to properly add a female character. When your character wears a dress, people likely all give the same response...and it was probably a very small addition. Just think of how much they would have to modify the interaction system for an actual female, though...

AniHawk

dark10x said:
Yeah, I agree...it seems like it would be easy to allow that. I don't understand why they didn't add that feature, quite honestly. That would be such a simple addition.

...just don't forget that Fable is NOT an American game.

I actually did NOT know about that aspect, however, I don't think what he said would work. I'd imagine the responses you get when dressed like that were fairly quick and simple to add and simply result in a lot of people freaking out. Considering a lot of the interation details that have been added, it still seems like it would have required a lot of work to properly add a female character. When your character wears a dress, people likely all give the same response...and it was probably a very small addition. Just think of how much they would have to modify the interaction system for an actual female, though...

What, the entire script would need to change because the main character'd be female?

Shopkeeper: What would you like to buy today? HOLY SHIT, YOU HAVE BOOBS!

dark10x

What, the entire script would need to change because the main character'd be female?

Didn't you notice how heavily they have focused on the interaction with people? There are a LOT of things present that wouldn't properly work with a female character. They would also need to change the way certain people respond to your character. After watching some recent demonstrations, it wouldn't be nearly as simple or clean cut as you make it sound.

Dagon

Just a quick point. Everyone starts out the game exactly the same. There's no character creation part first. So everyone begins on equal footing, but where you go from there is up to you. That's why you can't be a black person. Perhaps the setting is responsible for their dearth in the game world.

I can tell you that this is in no way a racially motivated thing, and anything anyone reads into it along those lines is just crazy.

Mama Smurf

Seriously, a huge amount would have to change for being a woman. I'm sure if the game is successful enough, it'll be a main aim to get female main characters into the sequel, but for now I'm glad they focused on other parts.

Redbeard

Banned
There are black people in Fable, you just can't be one of them.

At least two of the other heroes are black (Thunder and Whisper).

45.jpg

As far as why you can't be another race, it probably involves having differing facial structures, which would mean a ton of work when you consider all the morphing involved.

Mama Smurf

So if you could be a woman, you'd have to be the one to get pregnant.

Not that that would ever happen, every on of us would have a lesbian relationship and you know it!

Redbeard said:
As far as why you can't be another race, it probably involves having differing facial structures, which would mean a ton of work when you consider all the morphing involved.

Ahaha comon. Give me a break. It's not like black people are THIS different from White people. Ahaha.

Kuroyume said:
Where are the white people in GTA: San Andreas?

On the box? On the screens?

Redbeard

Banned
Just coloring the white guy's face black isn't going to make him look like a black guy, it'll make him look like Soul Man.

Gantz

Banned
Redbeard said:
There are black people in Fable, you just can't be one of them.

At least two of the other heroes are black (Thunder and Whisper).

45.jpg

Yay for token black game characters! Sounds pretty like lazy programmers to me.

Deku Tree

Mama Smurf said:

I'd prefer if they let you change your race and/or ethnicity too. But isn't this the kind of game where you only get to be one guy? In KotOR you got to choose your characters appearance from a good selection of choices, but I thought in FABLE you always start as the same kid. You can make an argument that they would have to change the art for this kids whole family based on your initial character choice and that would be too much work, but I don't buy into that b/c it wouldn't be that much extra work.

A diversity of racial and ethnic appearances in the NPC's would make up for the main character a bit IMO but not completely.

Dagon said:
Just a quick point. Everyone starts out the game exactly the same. There's no character creation part first. So everyone begins on equal footing, but where you go from there is up to you. That's why you can't be a black person. Perhaps the setting is responsible for their dearth in the game world.

I can tell you that this is in no way a racially motivated thing, and anything anyone reads into it along those lines is just crazy.

Like Dagon said, you do not create a character at the beginning of the game, choosing race and gender as in the average PC RPG, you start as a little white boy just like everyone else will. The customization comes not from a menu, but from choices you make as you play. Having a black character might require some sort of magic, but a female character would probably need surgery.

They could have included race and gender at the beginning with no other choices, like Serpent Isle, but I am assuming it was not their highest priority and everyone is meant to start with a similar main character.

Mama Smurf

I see your points, but would it have been so hard to give us a choice of maybe 3 or 4 different skin types right at the start? Not so much a create your character thing, that can come through your decisions (as it's going to), just a simple choice.

I know it would have added work, perhaps a degree of remodeling, things like tattoos would have to be a different colour etc, but it would have been nice.

Ah well, maybe in the sequel.

Ranger X

Big deal with the fucking skin color. Do you really need to play a character that is having your own skin color to like a game? common. This is useless complaining.
I reckon a skin color option would have been easy to implement but what would that make a real difference in your gameplay and feel???

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
LOL

For Wyzdom: character creation and customization is a huge bonus in any title, and to pretend otherwise is foolish. That said, I think people are looking for controversy where there isn't any.

You guys got the new GTA guy, Balrog, Spawn, and Jolie in KOTOR. What about us?!? What about the Puerto Ricans?!? Who do we get? How come there are no Puerto Ricans in Star Wars? I can't think of a single Puerto Rican videogame character. :p

teiresias

Maybe if they'd spent less time making renders to pass off as screenshots at the beginning of developement they'd have had time to make the models and art necessary to give you a choice. *runs*

dark10x

teiresias said:
Maybe if they'd spent less time making renders to pass off as screenshots at the beginning of developement they'd have had time to make the models and art necessary to give you a choice. *runs*

Those were not renders...

The game engine was initially much more impressive looking and they had it up and running like that. The problem was that the XBOX could not handle those visuals with tons of people running around and all of the gameplay systems active.

Azih

Look the basic idea of this game is that everybody starts out as the same male hetrosexual white boy. And then from there you can make that male hetrosexual white kid into a evil sword swinging male hetrosexual white adult, or a good spell slinging male hetrosexual white adult. Now if this was a traditional Western RPG then this would be a bad thing as those games are built on as much customisation in the main character as possible (Morrowind, Baldur's Gate, KOTOR), but Fable isn't a traditional western RPG, it's an amalgam of a bunch of different conventions. And they kept the Japanese style convention of a very strictly defined main character initially.

Top Bottom