• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So why didn't you like The Dark Knight Rises? Nolan trilogy spoilers of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZimbAdam

Huh, was talking about this at work. For the most part, I really enjoyed it. That final act tho. Bane and Talia went out like punks.

I found this laughable for some reason

hRHZP.gif

He's a fire starter. Twisted fire starter.

Chiggs

Gold Member
It's arguably the greatest film of all time. The C.I.A. power stance at the beginning of the film, the van ride in the middle, and the powerful finale in the plane.

The 2 hour epilogue was a bit much, but you have to admire the boldness of it.

10/10

JB1981

I skimmed the thread and didn't see an explanation...

Did people ever come up with a reason why or how Bruce took the time to prepare his enormous flaming bat symbol contraption when they were literally racing against a ticking nuclear time bomb?

I've seen various explanations for the film's other issues, but never this. I'm genuinely curious.

I suppose Nolan wanted that shot in the movie, logic be damned? The batsignal was destroyed and the blazing bat symbol may have galvanized the populace into action? Why is this such a big deal to people? It's a movie man.

I thought it was too long. I hated this one. I like the first two though. Those were well directed and acted. This one is pretty.. whats the word? Contrived?

Doc_Drop

Keaton is the best.
Kevin Conroy
Ben Afflek is also better
Funny thing is: Everyone says that Nolans movies are too grounded and "realistic". Imo it's the opposite. Burtons Batman was way more realistic (aside from the fantasy villains like Penguin). The costume was perfect (and he doesn't look like a robot), the batmobile wasn't a high-tech tank and Bruce was a believable person.
Missile launching penguins say no. Suit was shite tbh, over-rubbified nonsense. Keaton was good as Bruce, but honestly go back and watch those films as they really don't stand up much better than the dark years of Batman films of the 90s.

Lol touché. FWIW, a 9.5 in my book is different to what you may consider a 9.5. I mean when it comes to scores, I'm quite lenient. For reference, BvS is a 7.5/10, Batman Begins is a 9/10 and TDK is a 10/10. Even if a movie has many flaws like TDKR, one cool thing can make me ignore them or mitigate the flaws.

We clearly have different 0-10 ranges, you seem to utilise the skewed range where everything seems to fall in the latter half of the 10 point scale. We obviously disagree, I don't hate DKR by any means. However, if you're giving TDK a 10 that tells me enough to know we are never going to agree

he should have been played by Bautista
Penguin or Riddler would have been better in Nolanverse

Yes! YES!!! I like you

We clearly have different 0-10 ranges, you seem to utilise the skewed range where everything seems to fall in the latter half of the 10 point scale. We obviously disagree, I don't hate DKR by any means. However, if you're giving TDK a 10 that tells me enough to know we are never going to agree

Oh that's fine that you to disagree -- and to be honest, in retrospect, my original comment was quite flippant.

Just curious, what would you give TDK? I mean I know I might be in the minority in giving Rises a 9.5, but giving Dark Knight a 10 seems quite sensible regarding the general consensus, no? I mean a lot of people give that movie a 10 - it's tied in being the third best film of all time on IMDb.

I say the above not as a counter point to your opinion, nor to refute it, since "well other people say this etc" is never a serious argument. I just thought I'd see where your perspective lies on it. Also, FWIW, a 10 in my book doesn't mean it's perfect.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Bale took his voice to parody levels

Batman movie set almost exclusively during the day

I'm all for suspension of disbelief, but this movie asks it of you way too often.

Bane death was shit

Bane voice was stupid

I'm sure there's more I can't think of.

I really still believe that these awkward lines were due to the fact that the cowl had no nose holes in the mask, resulting in him sounding like hes got a fucking cold the entire time.

Unless these lines were recorded after the fact but it doesnt sound like they were.

I think I read somewhere that they did some post processing on his voice. That's when it started going wrong I think. It was perfect in batman begins.

It seems ashamed of its source material. Like Nolan saying "Nope" to several established characters because they wouldn't "fit" in a story about a billionaire dressing up as a big ol' Bat to fight crime. Like, it seems obsessed with turning Batman into a symbol for social justice, but doesn't seem to understand why Batman is such an important symbol.

Alienous

It seems ashamed of its source material. Like Nolan saying "Nope" to several established characters because they wouldn't "fit" in a story about a billionaire dressing up as a big ol' Bat to fight crime. Like, it seems obsessed with turning Batman into a symbol for social justice, but doesn't seem to understand why Batman is such an important symbol.

Yeah, that's part of it.

It's like he was doing the Batman 'universe' parts of the story under duress and with contempt. Dude really wanted to make his Howard Hughes biopic.

Doc_Drop

Oh that's fine that you to disagree -- and to be honest, in retrospect, my original comment was quite flippant.

Just curious, what would you give TDK? I mean I know I might be in the minority in giving Rises a 9.5, but giving Dark Knight a 10 seems quite sensible regarding the general consensus, no? I mean a lot of people give that movie a 10 - it's tied in being the third best film of all time on IMDb.

I say the above not as a counter point to your opinion, nor to refute it, since "well other people say this etc" is never a serious argument. I just thought I'd see where your perspective lies on it. Also, FWIW, a 10 in my book doesn't mean it's perfect.

A 10/10 to me is pretty much perfection, which I appreciate isn't necessarily true for everyone. So it would be rare indeed for me to give many films a 10. Don't get me wrong, I love the film and I would give it somewhere in the realms of a high 9.something.

A 10 for me is something like Shawshank Redemption or For a Few Dollars More (or any of the Sergio Leone/Eastwood trilogy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom