• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 |OT|

andycapps

Neuromancer said:
How's the co-op?

Seemed broken to me last night. I tried to join about 10 games and would always be disconnected saying game no longer available or game full. The last one I tried hard locked up my PS3.

W1SSY

Neuromancer said:
How's the co-op?
I find it enjoyable to play with friends. I haven't played many of them but the ones I have consist of taking down the enemy leader. The ability to adjust number of enemies and difficulty is also nice and can lead to a challenge.

W1SSY said:
I find it enjoyable to play with friends. I haven't played many of them but the ones I have consist of taking down the enemy leader. The ability to adjust number of enemies and difficulty is also nice and can lead to a challenge.
That's cool. Can you pick objectives or are those always random?

r.gun

Neo Member
Neuromancer said:

I played quite a bit of co-op yesterday. There are two different game types, one where you kill the VIPs, and another where you track down enemy intel then destroy their comm. centres, or something like that.

The host can choose the difficulty, and the enemy density. We were playing last night with 3 people on normal difficulty against the highest amount of enemies and in some sections they just kept pouring in at us. It was actually really intense.

W1SSY

Neuromancer said:
It has a couple different things you can do. The one I always seem to play are taking out the enemy leader. So basically you fight through a level and have to kill either on or two guys. The other is espionage and I have yet to try that one out. It definitely seems like something to mess around with but not really a feature that I will be using long unless they add new stuff with Pro.

styl3s

TheFuryMGS3 said:
Framerate problems, awful single player, absent promised features, camera problems...... the list goes on and on
I don't notice the framerate problems, the SP was fine, camera is fine and please list more.

if you don't like it don't play it, game runs fine for me, seems the only haters are S2 fanboys who want to stay in the past, it's 2011.

FuttBuck said:
Man, I so wanna buy this game, I just don't know what's holding me back....=/

It's probably the reviews and just general lack of hype

Lot of the negativity of the reviews is on the SP portion of the game, which I can understand some of the complaints as it is kind of generic feeling game. It's not bad at all. The MP though is a highlight for SOCOM fans, it might be a bit tough to get into for those used to normal console FPS shooters.

TTP said:
Fuck the hackers. Seriously.

I'm not so sure it's hackers causing all the problems PSN has had these last few days, and this outage. Probably if Sony had a hardware failure or something similar, they wouldn't want to take accountability for it, and rather blame someone else.

Greg

FuttBuck said:
Man, I so wanna buy this game, I just don't know what's holding me back....=/

It's probably the reviews and just general lack of hype
If you're going to play online, it's easily worth it. I haven't even touched the game modes I like because I'm busy leveling weapons, and I'm still having a great time.

I doubt the reviewers had much time to sink into MP, and the generic SP campaign was probably weighted in their scores.

bob page

Greg said:
If you're going to play online, it's easily worth it. I haven't even touched the game modes I like because I'm busy leveling weapons, and I'm still having a great time.

I doubt the reviewers had much time to sink into MP, and the generic SP campaign was probably weighted in their scores.
Yeah, it's easily worth $60 for the multiplayer alone. The reviews *didn't* adequately review the online mode. They reviewed the beta. They didn't take into account the new maps, more stable servers, clan features, etc.

In other words, completely ignore the reviews if you're interested in playing online.

The lack of attention is kind of disheartening. Though most players online seem to generally like it, every few games you come across the self entitled "Socom 1/2" veteran(s) who constantly complain. Also, any word on when the uh, 'Pro' content is suppose to be up? I know the DLC weapons are a ways off, but is there suppose to be a 'Pro playlist' as well?

bob page

Fistwell said:
They have servers for this? Cool, was expecting p2p.
Yeah, I'm almost positive they're dedicated servers. Some reviews complained about the servers going down, which Zipper continually stated was due to beta maintenance and stress testing. Some people are just so dumb.

And yeah, PSN might be down for a few days. Great job, Sony. I'd rather pay a subscription fee than to deal with this unprofessional BS.

FINALBOSS

Banned
BrLvgThrChmstry said:
The lack of attention is kind of disheartening. Though most players online seem to generally like it, every few games you come across the self entitled "Socom 1/2" veteran(s) who constantly complain. Also, any word on when the uh, 'Pro' content is suppose to be up? I know the DLC weapons are a ways off, but is there suppose to be a 'Pro playlist' as well?

The SOCOM vets are the absolute worst group of gamers on the fucking planet.

do you unlock multiplayer skins by playing through the campaign at certain difficulties? am I going to have to play through it on elite after i get done with hard to unlock everything?

Psykotik

i know i was able to select forty five in MP after i beat the game on hard.

not sure if it was a direct result because of it though.

Seventy5

Das-J, if you're reading this, could you guys please try to add a "stealth to" option when you're commanding your squad? With PSN being down, I'm REALLY enjoying the custom campaign missions, but it's difficult to get properly set up with Wells' giant fucking meathead moving into position without caring if every enemy on the map sees him running to cover. Also, some new objective types for that mode (and co-op) would be the bees knees for either an update or a DLC pack.

You guys have me hooked, shooter of the year for me, hands down.

edit: Holy shit Countdown is amazing!

demolitio

Nothing like buying a game you've been waiting a very long time for just to have the stupid network go down so you can't even play online with your friend who happened to take these past two days off work just to play this game and help build the clan with me...He took the days off because he's going to be really busy the next few days and then he's on vacation in Vegas all next week. :(

We waited a year (more if you count the time we waited after S:C launched knowing S4 was in development) so what's another week and a half I guess? TOO LONG IS WHAT! SoCrack is back and we need our fix! :D

According to my friend, the usual hacking group is taking credit for the PSN problems even after they said they wouldn't affect the consumers...He got scarred for life just trying to get that information due to the worst picture he's ever seen on the internet that has my blood boiling just hearing about it...

Psykotik

actually the problem is in japan:

vhl8o.png

gXoib.png

Greg

Trying to rambo through SP now.

I hope Elite unlocks after completing the game on any difficulty because I figured if I had to beat it twice I'd take it easy on myself the first time around and play on Normal.

Psykotik

it should unlock on normal (i hope).

also, i take back what i said about hard being easy. it gets quite challenging on hard after mission 8.

haven't tried elite yet.

Hi-tekk

Neo Member
How long would you say it takes to beat the single player campaign? Do you have the option to choose "hard" as the level of difficulty from the start or do you need to unlock that?

Hi-tekk said:
How long would you say it takes to beat the single player campaign? Do you have the option to choose "hard" as the level of difficulty from the start or do you need to unlock that?

hard is selectable. elite is the difficulty that needs to be unlocked. not sure if playing through regular unlocks it or if you need to beat it on hard first though.

Miggytronz

Hi-tekk said:

you can choose hard from the getgo.

Das-J

Law of the West
Seventy5 said:
Das-J, if you're reading this, could you guys please try to add a "stealth to" option when you're commanding your squad? With PSN being down, I'm REALLY enjoying the custom campaign missions, but it's difficult to get properly set up...

Your squad mates will generally take the stance that you're in while moving, so make sure you're crouched when issuing commands if you want to remain stealthy.

Also, ensure that you're only tapping the GO (D-Pad up) button once, as doing it multiple times issues a "Double Time" command where your units will run into position.

Greg

Just beat it on Normal, and Elite is unlocked.

And just a heads up for anyone trying to get all the collectibles - make sure you note which levels you found the Tarocco on. On future playthroughs it shows the intel you've collected, but it doesn't show you if you found the Tarocco or not (at least from what I can tell).

J-Rzez

Oh no. Do I have to play this through SP to unlock character skins? : /

If so, which characters are unlocked how? Anyone find any information on this yet? Or perhaps Das, care to enlighten us?

Greg said:
Just beat it on Normal, and Elite is unlocked.

And just a heads up for anyone trying to get all the collectibles - make sure you note which levels you found the Tarocco on. On future playthroughs it shows the intel you've collected, but it doesn't show you if you found the Tarocco or not (at least from what I can tell).
I picked up one earlier.

OPSCOM:
"This reminds me of all the inhumanity in the world... also, breakfast." or something like that, lol

Psykotik

RyanardoDaVinci said:
I picked up one earlier.

OPSCOM:
"This reminds me of all the inhumanity in the world... also, breakfast." or something like that, lol

haha yeah, i got that line too. it was with the orange that was next to a radio
playing an 8 bit version of the socom 4 theme song

bob page said:
I'll be on a bit later if anyone wants to join me (uncleguito).

HAH! ...PSN is still down. And will probably still be down later. It isn't stopping me from turning on PS3 in hopes of PSN being back up sooner.

bob page

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
HAH! ...PSN is still down. And will probably still be down later. It isn't stopping me from turning on PS3 in hopes of PSN being back up sooner.
God damn it, I forgot. It's been a long day...way to make it worse Sony.

Strange...I'm starting the campaign on my other ps3 and the patch download is still working.

Seventy5

Das-J said:
Your squad mates will generally take the stance that you're in while moving, so make sure you're crouched when issuing commands if you want to remain stealthy.

Also, ensure that you're only tapping the GO (D-Pad up) button once, as doing it multiple times issues a "Double Time" command where your units will run into position.
Holy crap, thanks! I was wondering why I sometimes had to issue command to yellow a few times, totally forgot about the Go button from the first mission.

Persona7

Banned
Psykotik said:
haha yeah, i got that line too. it was with the orange that was next to a radio
playing an 8 bit version of the socom 4 theme song
So awesome

I also loved the Combined Assault
reference during the stealth mission near the orange in the tent

Greg

Elite is so annoying. Except for the stealth missions, the difficulty is like a string of sewer segments from UC1 on Crushing.

Persona7

Banned
Greg said:
Elite is so annoying. Except for the stealth missions, the difficulty is like a string of sewer segments from UC1 on Crushing.
hah, I gave up on elite after dying 14 times in a row on the second mission

maybe someday

Top Bottom