• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 |OT|

CatPee

Ugh, playing this with Move and Sharpshooter results in constant death for me... :(

But I can't stop. It just feels so natural and addicting!

bob page

BattleMonkey said:
Really enjoying the MP here, such a nice change of pace. The 32 player matches though are too big
I don't think they're necessarily too big, but they need to tweak the spawns a bit. Spawning on the frontlines is confusing a lot of the time and you spawn with your back to where the enemies are going sometimes.

Regardless, it hasn't tainted my experience so far. Glad it doesn't lag even with 32 people.

J-Rzez said:
Made that a while ago lol. Been sending out invites every time I log in, as well as everyone in the clan are officers to invite people as well to help out during the times I'm not logged in.

You're one of the few, like the crazy S2 vets that even if they got S2HD they'd still hate on it. Damage is fine, it varies on the mode you play, and the maps are of equal quality to anything Zipper has done in Socom's past, they're still king of map design.

If you want to hate on reload animations, then go all the way. Basically NO game does them right. Nearly all the games do not model tactical reloads right, thus then they all fail.

At least practically every other game has the mags be removed, and oh I don't know not the m4 reload animation for every assault rifle. It is sloppy and inexcusable for a game that claims itself to be one of the best tactical shooters. I don't want s2HD, I want a game that is what it advertises to be, tactical. So what about bullet penetration? A WOODEN FENCE CAN TAKE A 50. BMG!? it is bullshit. Zipper seems to be clowning every one on this one, they seem so damn low tiered it is past sad and almost into the realm of funny.

And then there is the single player........ FUCKING JOKE.

If any Zipper employee happens to be browsing this thread, read this: You fucked up

W1SSY

Played a good bit more today with my clan. got in a couple clan matches and had a blast. I still haven't played all of the new maps but the ones that I have played seem good. I did get to play abandoned and most of the time knew where I was spawning but heading back towards the waterfall from seal spawn kept throwing me off. Anyone know if you can get on the ridge by the suicide tunnel? I was trying and I thought I saw in the video a guy up on it but I could have been mistaken.

KPunk

bob page said:
Yeah I'm pretty spoiled by XBL too and I hate PSN with a passion, but at least Zipper nailed it with how fast the matchmaking is. Hopefully the party system will be good, too.

yeah i agree it is great to see they are at least adding the feature, however i believe joining a game from a list would just be better and easier. but atleast the matchmaking is really fast. loading times are great, making it a little easier at least i can join and leave games with a breeze.

i always have had a problem with the terrible terrible chat quality on PSN too. it was a cool sony allowing any bluetooth headset to work, however people really have some terrible headsets almost making it pointless to even use. this game should have came with the official sony headset another thing i am simply spoiled with over on xbl. anyone that compares PSN to XBL stating its better and or the same + FREE is simply foolish.

bob page

TheFuryMGS3 said:
At least practically every other game has the mags be removed, and oh I don't know not the m4 reload animation for every assault rifle. It is sloppy and inexcusable for a game that claims itself to be one of the best tactical shooters. I don't want s2HD, I want a game that is what it advertises to be, tactical. So what about bullet penetration? A WOODEN FENCE CAN TAKE A 50. BMG!? it is bullshit. Zipper seems to be clowning every one on this one, they seem so damn low tiered it is past sad and almost into the realm of funny.

And then there is the single player........ FUCKING JOKE.

If any Zipper employee happens to be browsing this thread, read this: You fucked up
I put over 500 hours into SOCOM 2 and consider myself a hardcore fan of the series and I still don't understand what the fuck you're complaining about. They took the past formula and made it more modern, while keeping the feel and pace the same for the most part. Especially compared to other shooters nowadays, this still feels very much like SOCOM. Sounds like you just need to head back to the Zipper forums.

Kpunk- yeah, Sony definitely should have made a proprietary ps3 headset and included it in all bundles. Voice communication over PSN has always bugged me- people either have a headset or have a really shitty one with all kinds of static.

bob page said:
I put over 500 hours into SOCOM 2 and consider myself a hardcore fan of the series and I still don't understand what the fuck you're complaining about. They took the past formula and made it more modern, while keeping the feel and pace the same for the most part. Especially compared to other shooters nowadays, this still feels very much like SOCOM. Sounds like you just need to head back to the Zipper forums.

Congrats on the S2 time, were talking S4. It's sloppy, unpolished and lots of modern techniques and ideas aren't here that would take this BAD game to a good game.

KPunk

TheFuryMGS3 said:
Congrats on the S2 time, were talking S4. It's sloppy, unpolished and lots of modern techniques and ideas aren't here that would take this BAD game to a good game.

dude if your not enjoying the game (which is fine obviously the game can't please everyone). i would trade the game into gamestop or sell it as "barely used" on ebay and get max cash back..saving you time, money, and stress.

bob page

TheFuryMGS3 said:
Exactly, but in buying SOCOM 4 for online, you should know what to expect and what not to. And besides, the fences do have some bullet penetration from what I've seen. A fence I was shooting on cesspool earlier broke open under my AK shots and I killed the guy standing behind. Not sure if it's every type of fence, though.

bob page said:
Exactly, but in buying SOCOM 4 for online, you should know what to expect and what not to. And besides, the fences do have some bullet penetration from what I've seen. A fence I was shooting on cesspool earlier broke open under my AK shots and I killed the guy standing behind. Not sure if it's every type of fence, though.

You have to "degrade" cover before you can actually do damage. Any straw building doesn't have bullet penetration nor can it be blown apart. I know want to expect, and dear god is this abomination not it. If you like it, more power to you.

bob page

TheFuryMGS3 said:
You have to "degrade" cover before you can actually do damage. Any straw building doesn't have bullet penetration nor can it be blown apart. I know want to expect, and dear god is this abomination not it. If you like it, more power to you.
You're talking about building destruction, which SOCOM isn't about. This isn't Battlefield. Hell, you can't do that in Call of Duty and I don't see people bitching.

But that's fine. I get there are some people that don't like it. I just think your complaints are pretty unreasonable.

SP: Man that fire fight on the dam(difficulty hard) is an awesome experience. Putting your troops in the right position and assisting them in to maintain your strong hold is great. I have went back and replayed this section 6 times on hard sipping whiskey and swallowing brew.

MOVE game play.

bob page said:
Yours talking about building destruction, which SOCOM isn't about. This isn't Battlefield. Hell, you can't do that in Call of Duty and I don't see people bitching.

I don't want to blow up the building, I want a 308. to do what it does best, go through wood, soft concrete and hell I know it is hard to believe straw. We are in 2011, there is no excuse to have a military shooter that doesn't account for a bullet passing through a piece of plywood. Every one gives /6 shit but they truly hit the mark for what a modern socom should be far better then zipper did.

TheFuryMGS3 said:

You are complaining about mag removal and shooting through objects, both of which are rarely found even in many modern shooters still today. Got some real complaints or are you done trolling?

BattleMonkey said:
You are complaining about mag removal and shooting through objects, both of which are rarely found even in many modern shooters still today. Got some real complaints or are you done trolling?

Framerate problems, awful single player, absent promised features, camera problems...... the list goes on and on

bob page

TheFuryMGS3 said:
Framerate problems, awful single player, absent promised features, camera problems...... the list goes on and on
I can't say anything about SP because I haven't started yet, but what are you talking about with the others? Frame rate problems? I haven't noticed one drop online. They missing features are coming in the next two patches and zipper has always been good about fixing things.

Jim Sterling, is that you?

W1SSY

TheFuryMGS3 said:
I haven't had any framerate problems myself. I think the single player is fine. Like people have stated before you don't get SOCOM for single player. They are going to patch in a lot of stuff which is "missing" and work on the camera. It really just seems like you just want to complain about the game for no reason. Like someone else said, if you don't like the game sell it.

As far as PSN problems I was playing about an hour ago and had no problems at all. I kind of wish they would make clan challenges so only clans with the same amount of players show up or maybe a difference of one so you do not have all the challenges showing up.

Greg

TheFuryMGS3 said:
It is sloppy and inexcusable for a game that claims itself to be one of the best tactical shooters. I don't want s2HD, I want a game that is what it advertises to be, tactical.
Tactical doesn't mean realistic. The series has always had its quirks with gameplay, and once you understood what you can and can't do within the mechanics of the game you can enjoy it for what it is. It's fine that you don't like it, but I think you expected the game to be something it has never been.

As for framerate issues - I definitely noticed them right off the bat in SP, but they're absent in MP except for the times where the screen is covered in smoke.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
TheFuryMGS3 said:

I don't get this.. are you actually trying to convince people who like the game to NOT like it?
seriously, we already know you don't like it. Why expound upon it over and over like a broken record? It is like the KZ3 thread all over again.

i need a GAF clan invite if we have one going. PSN: MustacheBandit

I am not that good though but I have fun not being good. Slowly getting better by the match.

Persona7

Banned
PSN being down all week kind of sucks because the Socom community whine about fucking anything and then blame Zipper for it.

Other than that I am still enjoying the single player tremendously

Does this game have LAN play?

demolitio

KingOfKong said:
why are you trolling a thread for a game you clearly dislike?
He must have learned from the SOCOM forums where they've mastered staying around to hate on a game they don't like. Most said they wouldn't even buy the game and then of course buy it anyway just so they can complain more over features they already knew about and experienced in the beta. :D

I have no problem with criticism over a game but a lot of people want to stay around just to spread the negativity instead of moving on. I understand it a little more on here, but people staying on the S4 forum just to annoy others is weird since you know what you get with this game. Note: Not saying you Fury, but more of a statement in general but you do seem to act like a lot of "vets" do on socom.com.

You're not going to convince anyone in here to dislike (or like in some cases) the game if they've already played it. We can all make our own minds up and don't need to be convinced that it's a bad game. There's sharing an opinion and then there's repeatedly coming back to continue bashing the game after everyone knows your viewpoint. Especially with some information that is misguided since I've killed quite a few people through fences or some walls.

Anyway, is the GAF clan up and running? Hopefully I can roll with some of you when the party system is out since I'm running my own clan instead. Add me on PSN if you want a decent player to play with that communicates often. PSN is "Demolitio"

Miggytronz

TheFuryMGS3 said:

Blasphemy!!! The majority of the community has no such issues. Go troll play COD and Homefront then we can discuss such issues, kthnx.

KPunk

Mikasangelos said:
Looking back at my receipt i didnt get any code written on it. What exactly did the code unlock from GAMESTOP?

extra map, extra shotgun. I'd go back and get that coupon.

Yeah ok so i'm in too. Picked it up over lunch break. Is online region locked? (pardon my ignorance, havent really looked up the game at all, kind of a blind purchase)

darkwing

Fistwell said:
Yeah ok so i'm in too. Picked it up over lunch break. Is online region locked? (pardon my ignorance, havent really looked up the game at all, kind of a blind purchase)

nope, its not region locked

Cool. I'll probably send FRs to some of the people who posted their PSN user names in here. (I'm Mortel04)

Edit: since i havent seen it mentioned in the few reviews i've looked up, i'm assuming this is running at 30fps, rather smoothly?

andycapps

J-Rzez said:
Made that a while ago lol. Been sending out invites every time I log in, as well as everyone in the clan are officers to invite people as well to help out during the times I'm not logged in.

Did you send me one yet? I want some good games on SOCOM. So far I've been playing with randoms, and I know that's not the way to play this game but my friends haven't gotten the game yet so I'm stuck with that.

Miggytronz

andycapps said:
Did you send me one yet? I want some good games on SOCOM. So far I've been playing with randoms, and I know that's not the way to play this game but my friends haven't gotten the game yet so I'm stuck with that.

x2

Shurs

I wouldn't mind a GAF clan invite, though I can already tell you I'd probably be more hindrance than help.

Still, it would be fun to get in some casual games with some familiar people.

My PSN name is the same as it is here.

Fistwell said:
Wasn't there some trick to log in anyways? Cancel out till you get a different error or something?

If there is, please do tell. I tried a few times over a period of 2 hours then gave up.

Playstation.Blog said:
"As you are no doubt aware, the current emergency outage is continuing this afternoon and all Sony Online Network services remain unavailable. Our support teams are investigating the cause of the problem, including the possibility of targeted behaviour by an outside party. If the reported Network problems are indeed caused by such acts, we would like to once again thank our customers who have borne the brunt of the attack through interrupted service."

Looks like we will have to wait a while.

Top Bottom