• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

h3ro

For the first time every playing on PSN... Every single player had a headset. I'm not talking 8 player rooms either, I'm mean full on 16 vs. 16 matches. It was chaos when the round started and you can hear everyone run by talking.

I was amazed. We were throwing strategies back and forth, alerting people to locations of snipers, etc. Real fun.

Cartman86

Banned
h3ro said:
For the first time every playing on PSN... Every single player had a headset. I'm not talking 8 player rooms either, I'm mean full on 16 vs. 16 matches. It was chaos when the round started and you can hear everyone run by talking.

I was amazed. We were throwing strategies back and forth, alerting people to locations of snipers, etc. Real fun.

lol yeah I love that Socom is like that. I almost wish that they only sold it with the headset so there would be a 99% chance of everyone having one.

When you enter the email through the site they give you, will it be sent by Sony? I seem to be having problems getting email from them. :lol

h3ro said:

I got rid of my PS2 headset in light of the PS3 SOCOM headset. Hmm...this beta thing is going to suck until Oct. 14th. Silent socom is like...well...you know

So I take it the servers ain't holding up too well? Tried to log in about 6 times and keep getting the "Network Initialization" error. I like the menu music though.

edit - Tried putting router in DMZ, same deal

Kyoufu

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
So I take it the servers ain't holding up too well? Tried to log in about 6 times and keep getting the "Network Initialization" error. I like the menu music though.

edit - Tried putting router in DMZ, same deal

I'm getting that now too for some reason. It was working before :x

calder

Well I'll be shooting you jerks next week with the other Qore buying saps. Try to get the kinks worked out by then k? ;)

h3ro

FoxhoundNL said:
1. Socom = hardcore
2. Betas = hardcore
3. Socom Beta = full of head sets

;)

I'm hoping there is a trickle down effect for other MP games because of the Bundle. Warhawk didn't pull in as many of the hardcore shooting fans as Socom will and hopefully, these are the same people picking up R2, LBP, KZ2, etc.

Trevelyan

Banned
There is still some romm in Liquidmetal's server guys. COME PLAY!! English speaking 1 and look for neogaf.... or something like that

dralla

this will easily be the biggest competitive multiplayer game on PS3. it's crazy how many people are playing just the beta.

first round, 3 kills with the M16 and planted the bomb :] feels good to be able to jump right in..biggest change from SII it's graphics/hit detection. You can now actually see players because there's no fog and no wonky hit detection, people die when you shoot them.

dralla said:
this will easily be the biggest competitive multiplayer game on PS3. it's crazy how many people are playing just the beta.

first round, 3 kills with the M16 and planted the bomb :] feels good to be able to jump right in..biggest change from SII it's graphics/hit detection. You can now actually see players because there's no fog and no wonky hit detection, people die when you shoot them.
The beta just started. I don't think it'll be bigger than COD4 was.

thuway

Lets get some impressions rolling in.

The game didn't look as good as it did at PAX. Then again, PAX had a map that will not be featured in the Beta. With a little bit of polish, and a couple of bells and whistles in the graphic department, this game could really hold its own.

Kyoufu

Trevelyan said:
There is still some romm in Liquidmetal's server guys. COME PLAY!! English speaking 1 and look for neogaf.... or something like that

I'm back in, and my headset should be done charging soon. Customised my character a bit. Time to take some GAFers down!

____

So 7 hours later and I'm still code-less even though I pre-ordered as soon as the promotion was announced.

Is this some kind of sick twisted joke?

dralla

FoxhoundNL said:
The beta just started. I don't think it'll be bigger than COD4 was.

I did say on PS3 :]

SII was pretty huge considering how shitty the PS2 online service was, this SOCOM fanbase is pretty hardcore and the game is geared towards competitive play.

Dizzan

MINI Member
thuway said:
Lets get some impressions rolling in.

The game didn't look as good as it did at PAX. Then again, PAX had a map that will not be featured in the Beta. With a little bit of polish, and a couple of bells and whistles in the graphic department, this game could really hold its own.

Is there an nda on this or are we free to post our impressions. I should be getting my code later today.

dralla said:
I did say on PS3 :]

SII was pretty huge considering how shitty the PS2 online service was, this SOCOM fanbase is pretty hardcore and the game is geared towards competitive play.
COD4 online on PS3 was BIG last year/early 08.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
GQman2121 said:
Kev that fucking email still hasn't arrived. When it does I'll hit you up. ;)
I am so excited to play Socom! It's been like five or six years since I've played SOCOM!!

Snipes424

Maggot9 said:
the fucking load time for my last game was FIVE FUCKING MINUTES

Yeah, I think for the first few days this will be a stress test for their servers. Things will calm down and get faster once they figure a baseline for everything. All betas are like this on the first day :).

Doc Evils

I've played enough for today. good to play with gaf.

I noticed recently that if you tilt the controller side ways it makes you character lean out of corners which is pretty cool. You can also destroy arches with RPG's. Pretty cool seeing it for the first time.

thuway

If your not in the Beta, don't fret too hard. The network is running extremely slow. By the time Monday rolls around, I'm sure a patch will be up and you'll be able to just bum it off the Qore episode 1.

dralla

damn, why are the menu's soooooooo laggy, the game is friggin' installed on the HDD. it also takes forever to the load the map and Im sad to not see a map overlay on the loading screen like SII

h3ro

Just a final notice for guys outside of Europe that got Eurogamer keys, you can play using your NA account as long as you d/l the Beta via your UK account. Also, set your region to your actual location and try to pick servers that are as close to your actual geographic location as possible. I wasn't getting into any games until went into the East Coast rooms. After that, it took about a minute to load the game from the group party screen.

Metalmurphy said:
They really need to improve the textures on the characters... I mean... WOW :lol

I wouldn't have minded the graphics if it ran at 60fps... but yeah, it ain't pretty or polished. Hopefully they can iron it out before launch and lock down the frame rate at 30fps and give it another texture pass or so. (I doubt it though since we're so close to release)

____

Since Sony fucking hates me and is teasing me and forcing me to watch people on my friendslist play SOCOM right now...a question has popped up in my head.

One friend's says:

SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation

and one says:

SOCOM: Confrontation

both (i personally know) are from the US.

What's that about?

h3ro

____ said:
Since Sony fucking hates me and is teasing me and forcing me to watch people on my friendslist play SOCOM right now...a question has popped up in my head.

One friend's says:

SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation

and one says:

SOCOM: Confrontation

both (i personally know) are from the US.

What's that about?

US Beta gives the full title, while the Europe Beta gives only Socom: Confrontation.

Top Bottom