• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

Ravenn17

I see this having some potential, but it needs work. Some problems:

Reload time is too slow
Gun accuracy needs to be fixed
Black screen during load up is annoying
Switching to nades on the fly is a chore

I do like the presentation and community features so far.

Karish

PM me a code pretty pretty please :)

scarlett-johansson.jpg

hey, it can't hurt my chances

Cartman86

Banned
PROS
- Framerate better than I expected
- Lots of options for controls and camera view
- Feels like Socom
- When in game lag isn't bad

CONS
- Inviting friends to games is complete crap like every other PS3 game
- black screen at beginning of round
- Map loading times, and overall lag on menus (probably going to be fixed)
- Night version of Crossroads (I hate night maps everywhere)
- Can't check game stats (of that current match) until game is over
- Voice indicator needs to pop up to show who is talking while on stats screen
- text chat in lobby helps a lot. Put it back in
- controls are great overall, but switching to nades is hard and sometimes doesn't work

Overall it feels like Socom and thats all that matters to me.

Outside of the ridiculous loading and network failures I'm really enjoying it (and they better fix things fast or this beta is going to die a quick death). Hats off to S6 for bringing the ol' SOCOM back from the grave. If I had to put my finger on what makes SOCOM still stick out after all these years, I think its that no other MP shooter makes you feel like such a hunter (or the hunted as it may be). Especially in no-respawn games. The level design, the fast but tactical gun play and semi-realistic bullet dynamics. Its just intense and fun as hell, and with S6's tweaks it holds up remarkably well.

The more realistic speed definitely takes some getting used to. Not too crazy about the expanded Xroads. Tilt to lean controls are fidgety crap. Other than that not much complaints.

I don't think the graphics are that bad. It ain't COD4 but the lighting is nice and there's some neat fx going on here and there. The heat haze looks pretty terrific actually. There's some cool atmospheric stuff like wind carrying smoke and debris and such. I'm not sure if its dynamic or canned but I saw a giant smoke cloud slowly drift across the street after the old walk way exploded, it looked great. The game is definitely grittier looking than old SOCOM, as a refresh it works pretty well IMO.

Snipes424

Cartman86 said:
- Can't check game stats (of that current match) until game is over
Press Select

- Voice indicator needs to pop up to show who is talking while on stats screen
it does, look bottom right I believe

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm sitting here on this 'round complete' screen. Is it loading the new map or what? I can hear people once in awhile.

EDIT: It's obviously frozen now or something and I can't get out, dammit.

BeeDog

I've had the beta since yesterday (thanks again Metalmurphy) but I just got into a game this morning and got pwned (laggy-as-fuck server didn't help either). Seriously, are the load times supposed to take almost 5 minutes? It's pissing me off.

Defuser

BeeDog said:
I've had the beta since yesterday (thanks again Metalmurphy) but I just got into a game this morning and got pwned (laggy-as-fuck server didn't help either). Seriously, are the load times supposed to take almost 5 minutes? It's pissing me off.
Slant Team is already trying to solve this problem...

WiCkEd_Co

I never got my email, Lucky for me my brother gave me one.
I did the code correct and used the email that is associated with the PSN account and I am of age, I double check everything when I submitted it 2 weeks ago and never got the email.

Negaiido

People say this is a beta but its really not a beta.
They're just testing the servers if they can handle the stress and they won't handle feedback.

thuway

Negaiido said:
They're just testing the servers if they can handle the stress and they won't handle feedback.
Enlighten us. Remember your a junior member. Making egregious claims like this better have evidence.

Steroyd

Negaiido said:

You're mixing Little Big Planet with Socom?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dante said:
It's good, but good god at the loading. I know it's a beta, but Damn, hopefully the Qore build addresses this.

I dont think it's the loading but the synching.

Anyway good thing they kept the "auto pointing" thing for when an enemy is nearby. When I see my character pointing the gun all my SOCOM memories come back and my heart starts pumping like crazy :lol

I wish graphics where better. There is NO REASON why this couldn't run at 60fps with 4x AA. NO REASON I tell you. It's not that more detailed than COD4 is it? And it's PS3 exclusive. So I don't really get why they couldn't manage to achieve those 60fps. Framedrops are terrible during gunfight with more than 4 ppl on screen. Especially on daylight map. Night one runs a bit better.

thuway

TTP said:

Anyway good thing they kept the "auto pointing" thing for when an enemy is nearby. When I see my character pointing the gun all my SOCOM memories come back and my heart starts pumping like crazy :lol

I wish graphics where better. There is NO REASON why this couldn't run at 60fps with 4x AA. NO REASON I tell you. It's not that more detailed than COD4 is it? And it's PS3 exclusive. So I don't really get why they couldn't manage to achieve those 60fps. Framedrops are terrible during gunfight with more than 4 ppl on screen. Especially on daylight map. Night one runs a bit better.
Slant Six Games is a small studio. I think it could use a little more bells and whistles, but shrug. Here's to hoping it will get the 8XAA 60 FPS treatment.

Here's a nice vid with the devs at 1up:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167571

Xater

TTP said:

So they get the old SOCOM feeling back? :lol

This doesn't sound good...

VaLiancY

TTP said:

Nostalgia is bliss. I was playing it at my cousin's house and it was blast when the latency wasn't an issue and I wasn't getting knifed/shot/frag by a teammate.

Are the weapons in the beta the final list? I need my AKS-74. :( And where are my rifle suppressors? :(

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
VaLiancY said:
And where are my rifle suppressors? :(

When you customize the weapon go right on the d-pad to move through those different rings. You'll get to the suppressors.

TTP said:
Why not?

I'm not able to join the network anymore. same with everybody?
Just had a disconnect three minutes ago. Tried to get back in, but network couldn't be initialized. Rebooted PS3 and will try again right now. If I won't report back within 10 minutes, it means I got in ;).

Xater

TTP said:
Ah of course. I thought u was referring to the old SOCOM feeling.

Yeah that was my try at a snarky remark. My experience with SOCOM 2 was that it wasn't the smoothest game.

Negaiido

AllGamer said:
and how do you know that?

I just know and everyone should also know that the name of the file contains the word "demo" and not "beta".
If it was an beta wouldn't there be a place where you can leave your feedback, would there?
About the "me being junior", that doesnt mean that I'm not telling a lie.

thuway

Xater said:
Framedrops never sound good.
This is a Beta. The frame rate drops and difficulties logging in will persist. However, its a pain in the ass to get some concrete impression. The difficulty of entering the network, joining a server, and jumping from game to game is nerve wracking.

VaLiancY

TTP said:
When you customize the weapon go right on the d-pad to move through those different rings. You'll get to the suppressors.

Thanks. I saw four hard points on the rifle and only saw the underbarrel and optic mount modifications.

Smidget

Yep, I also cannot get into the network after I got dropped 10 or so minutes ago, restarted the PS3 as well....

Back to MGO for now.

As a first time SOCOM player, I'm definitely not feeling it so far... but I think I'll play some infinite respawn rooms some more and maybe try to get a better hang of everything....

Negaiido

SOCOM: CONFRONTATION PUBLIC BETA UPDATE
Posted by Seth Luisi
Due to overwhelming demand for the SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation Public Beta, we are experiencing load related issues. These issues are causing abnormal latency, disconnects, long load times, login errors and community features such as clans and stats not functioning correctly (or at all).

We are doing everything we can to resolve these issues as quickly as possible and you should see some improvements progressively over the next couple of days. However, we do not expect to have the issues completely resolved until close to the end of next week.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

thuway

My impressions are in line with what most people are saying.

-The control scheme is fine for the most part, but switching to your accessories on the fly is a chore. You shouldn't have to depend on archaic controlls for a fundamental feature.
-The game runs slower than I'd want it to. It would be nice if the "sprint" speed was the default speed.
-The issues with the reticle / hit detection is something that MUST be fixed.
-60 FPS / 4XAA please.

Graphics:

As much as people are knacking on them, the graphics look quite good for a game in the AA phase. Yeah, someone will bark that it doesn't do this or it would be better off doing that, but its more than satisfactory. Its COD4 without 60fps. Sony ninjas, send these boys some love and pump up the graphics one or two more notches and we'll shut the fuck up.

Sound:

Whatever graphical finesse they lacked can be tipped in favor to the audio design. I have to say, this dethrones MGS4 in that category. The 5.1 war sound field with the distance based audio cues, reflections off of surfaces, and voices reacting realistically to their environments took things one step further.

Gameplay:

I find myself loving it, than hating, than feeling impatient- I have still yet to make up my mind on the gameplay, however, I feel if they implemented some of the changes we've all bawked about, the game could end up becoming a mainstay in the PSN shooter space. The game is fun as hell, when it works, but at the core, it feels broken. What the fuck do I know though, I'm not a big shooter fan, nor do I know Socom like the back of my hand. This is just an average guy's opinion.

Defuser

VaLiancY said:
The hate for M203 and RPGs is unnecessary and because of this I will be whoring high explosives all day.
I love the RPGs :lol Bitches don't expect it!! But yeah,kinda imba and I'm glad they only limit to 1 ammo.

Kyoufu

Defuser said:
I love the RPGs :lol Bitches don't expect it!! But yeah,kinda imba and I'm glad they only limit to 1 ammo.

Actually they have 3 (the AT-1). I hate them :(

Atleast its that many if you customise it I think, I dunno.

womfalcs3

Banned
I finally get in and customize my character. The menu loading is very annoying due to the lag involved with switching between menus and items.

I get into a match, and it sat there loading for 3 minutes, then I gave up on it. Is that normal? > 3 minutes?

Trevelyan

Banned
For those complaining about getting it. I believe they said there is server maintenance every day from 8-10am EST. I'd assume it would end earlier on some days, though. So yeah.

womfalcs3 said:
I finally get in and customize my character. The menu loading is very annoying due to the lag involved with switching between menus and items.

I get into a match, and it sat there loading for 3 minutes, then I gave up on it. Is that normal? > 3 minutes?
Yes, that's normal. =(

cameltoe

I had no hit detection issues at all.......like 2 shots and down they go.

Graphics are fine....a touch above cod 4....and thats good enough for me.

Im new to SOCOM (never touched any games in the series) and I prefer FPS over TPS but man, this game is fun!

Kittonwy

Banned
womfalcs3 said:

Holy smoke 3 minutes is CRAZY for a game installed on the HDD. >:|

Top Bottom