• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

GodofWine

-COOLIO- said:
*eye roll*

Well, yea, MGO sucks....but Id rather play the SOCOM beta with one map than MGO...I haven't logged onto that in 2 months.

I've had no issue playing today. Load times were even improved.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Either this head cold is affecting my vision, or SOCOM isn't keeping tallies of my kills. I'm sure I just bagged 3 or 4 guys, and it only counted two. I'm sure that I nailed a guy (i saw him die) and the game didn't report it as a kill.

BTW: Is there any official place to report bugs, glitches, recommendations, etc?

Kyoufu said:
I noticed that when you're NOT in the proximity of an enemy, your player doesn't hold the gun like someone would be, and vice versa.

I just noticed this. It made the game a lot more tense and is a subtle indicator of danger. I like it.

Arsenic said:
I know what he mentioned, but even so its really fucking annoying to even pick a weapon.

Its like:

-Press and hold circle
-While holding circle, press and hold the direction button corresponding to ur choice of weapon.
-Release Circle
-Then release the direction button

Just to pull out a handgun in the middle of a fight? Thats a little annoying dont you guys think?

Yeah, it's quite clunky. But my remedy for that is not to be fiddling around with my weapons during a fight. ;) I tend only to use rockets and my assault rifle though.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
GodofWine said:
Well, yea, MGO sucks....but Id rather play the SOCOM beta with one map than MGO...I haven't logged onto that in 2 months.

I've had no issue playing today. Load times were even improved.
mgo > socom

Doel

industrian said:
Either this head cold is affecting my vision, or SOCOM isn't keeping tallies of my kills. I'm sure I just bagged 3 or 4 guys, and it only counted two. I'm sure that I nailed a guy (i saw him die) and the game didn't report it as a kill.
Your kills don't carry over from every round in the stats screen like past SOCOM games. Each round shows your stats contained within that round, then at the ending screen it shows the tally of your stats for the entire game.

-COOLIO- said:
mgo > socom
:lol

industrian

Doel said:
Your kills don't carry over from every round in the stats screen like past SOCOM games. Each round shows your stats contained within that round, then at the ending screen it shows the tally of your stats for the entire game.

It was in the same round.

-COOLIO- said:
mgo > socom

At this point in time I'd say that SOCOM is better. But only because every time I play MGO I get absolutely annihilated by all you elite GAFfers.

xero273

Arsenic said:
I know what he mentioned, but even so its really fucking annoying to even pick a weapon.

Its like:

-Press and hold circle
-While holding circle, press and hold the direction button corresponding to ur choice of weapon.
-Release Circle
-Then release the direction button

Just to pull out a handgun in the middle of a fight? Thats a little annoying dont you guys think?

The only solution to this is to do quick switch between pistol and primary weapon. I do agree this way of selecting weapons isn't good. They should have stuck with socom 2 way of selecting weapons.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Doel said:

:lol
ya lololol socom vets perfer socom : \

after all the hype and anticipation im pretty sure this beta could of been pure crap and every fan would love it in denial

Kyoufu

Anyone going to host a GAF server (preferably with the normal Crossroads in the rotation)?

JB1981 said:
One major issue I have with the game is visibility. Maybe it's just Crossroads and the heat 'mirage' effect going on, but I feel I have a very difficult time identifying enemies. Perhaps that's be design (this isn't red vs. blue after all) but it makes for a frustrating experience.

I'm with you on that, enemy recognition on this map is poor. Because everything is just BROWN lol

Sometimes I think I saw an enemy when infact it was just atmospheric effects.

JB1981

One major issue I have with the game is visibility. Maybe it's just Crossroads and the heat 'mirage' effect going on, but I feel I have a very difficult time identifying enemies. Perhaps that's by design (this isn't red vs. blue after all) but it makes for a frustrating experience.

Or as I mentioned earlier, maybe I just suck.

industrian

Kyoufu said:
Anyone going to host a GAF server (preferably with the normal Crossroads in the rotation)?

Seconding this.

I'd volunteer, but my connection has a poor upload speed.

JB1981

Kyoufu said:

I'm with you on that, enemy recognition on this map is poor. Because everything is just BROWN lol

Sometimes I think I saw an enemy when infact it was just atmospheric effects.

They really need to tone down the bloom .....

Doel

-COOLIO- said:
ya lololol socom vets perfer socom : \

after all the hype and anticipation im pretty sure this beta could of been pure crap and every fan would love it in denial
You obviously aren't very familiar with the SOCOM fanbase. All we do is bitch. Check the SOCOM board on PSU. People complaining about every little minute detail that doesn't mirror socom 1/2 exactly.

The ones that are open to change while still wanting the game to feel like SOCOM, are generally happy with the beta thus far (apart from the server/load issues obviously).

You are just clearly an MGO fan. Nothing wrong with that, but then why are you here if you have nothing to add to the discussion about the game/beta?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Question
Is there a Captive mode in Socom: Confrontation
cuz so far I ain't played it
for those that don't know what Captive is, it's like suppression but you can revive team mates.
If thats not in the final version then, thats not good

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Doel said:
You obviously aren't very familiar with the SOCOM fanbase. All we do is bitch. Check the SOCOM board on PSU. People complaining about every little minute detail that doesn't mirror socom 1/2 exactly.

The ones that are open to change while still wanting the game to feel like SOCOM, are generally happy with the beta thus far (apart from the server/load issues obviously).

You are just clearly an MGO fan. Nothing wrong with that, but then why are you here if you have nothing to add to the discussion about the game/beta?
im interested in the reception, but i couldn't pass up a chance to correct a socom > mgo post. :D

especially one that just seemed so stupid and out of place

Doel

TGO said:
Question
Is there a Captive mode in Socom: Confrontation
cuz so far I ain't played it
for those that don't know what Captive is, it's like suppression but you can revive team mates.
If thats not in the final version then, thats not good
You mean from the PSP SOCOMs? No that's not in the game.

JB1981 said:
One major issue I have with the game is visibility. Maybe it's just Crossroads and the heat 'mirage' effect going on, but I feel I have a very difficult time identifying enemies. Perhaps that's by design (this isn't red vs. blue after all) but it makes for a frustrating experience.

Only had this issue when people are laying down in certain spots where they blend in pretty well. Can't really complain about it though because the games have always been like that. To me it's just another layer of strategy and way to play the game.

JB1981

Doel said:
You mean from the PSP SOCOMs? No that's not in the game.

Only had this issue when people are laying down in certain spots where they blend in pretty well. Can't really complain about it though because the games have always been like that. To me it's just another layer of strategy and way to play the game.

I can see that but at the same time, I feel like I literally cannot SEE. Crossroads is one big brown/dusty mirage.

Greg

JB1981 said:

I only managed to play for about 10 minutes the other night, but that was my main complaint as well.

The one awesome thing about S1/S2 was that even though the graphics were never that great, the things that needed to be visible weren't confused with anything but what they were supposed to be. The environment obviously played a factor, but it was more in terms of strictly light/dark or hidden/not hidden.

I didn't get the chance to play the original 16-player Crossroads yet, but the biggest example of this is on the balcony overlooking the terrorist base - the lighting/environmental effects fuck that entire scene horribly.

Doel

JB1981 said:
Can used codes be shared?
Yes, 3 times total.

JB1981 said:
I can see that but at the same time, I feel like I literally cannot SEE. Crossroads is one big brown/dusty mirage.
I don't know, its been fine for me. You playing in HD or SD?

Oh and during the game, press start and change your view to "Classic Camera". EVERYONE needs to do that. Makes the game infinitely more enjoyable. I don't know why they are trying to push their crappy OTS view when it takes away half the screen.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
xero273 said:
The only solution to this is to do quick switch between pistol and primary weapon. I do agree this way of selecting weapons isn't good. They should have stuck with socom 2 way of selecting weapons.

How was it in SOCOM 2? Memory fails me.

Anyways, here is how I "fixed" the control setup

L1 for quick switch (TAP) AND menu selection (HOLD) so I dont have to deal with two different buttons for similar functionality.

Circle for reaload.

R2 for Knife AND run. Tap for melee attack and hold for running.

R3 for taunts.

Try this set up. I think it's pretty much perfect.

JB1981

TTP said:
How was it in SOCOM 2? Memory fails me.

Anyways, here is how I "fixed" the control setup

L1 for quick switch (TAP) AND menu selection (HOLD) so I dont have to deal with two different buttons for similar functionality.

Circle for reaload.

R2 for Knife AND run. Tap for melee attack and hold for running.

Try this set up. I think it's pretty much perfect.

Yea, I'd rather have run mapped to R2 and reload mapped to one of the face buttons as well.

err .. i meant i'd rather have run mapped to L3.

I would really like a Captive mode too. I hope they'll eventually patch it in. Hell, I'd even pay for it. It adds a whole new level of awesome to SOCOM. Not that I'm not happy with Suppresion, it's just that reviving team mates makes it even greater IMO. I absolutely HATE respawn games btw.

thuway

JB1981 said:
Yea, I'd rather have run mapped to R2 and reload mapped to one of the face buttons as well.

err .. i meant i'd rather have run mapped to L3.
I like having L2 for Run. Its the zoom and auto select that piss me off.

Acid08

Banned
I love this game. I'm not having all the problems everyone else seems to have. Yeah I have the long load times and the menus fucking lag for some reason, but I have had almost no ingame lag. Only time so far was fucking LiquidMetal being far away, I shoot, and all of a sudden he appears in front of me and kills me. And after I had saved his life earlier when we were on the same team :(.

MiamiWesker said:
Anyone get an e-mail today? When is the last time anyone got an e-mail?

Waiting for one to, if I don't get it by tonight. I will have to beg people for a damn code and just give away the codes I get from the email whenever that will be.:lol

Philthy

I had a blast lastnight. When they iron out all the connection issues I think this game is going to be pretty fun. At least its not like Warhawk where you spawn and someone shoots a missile in your face or drives over you over and over.

This needs a lot of polishing to be really worth a buy imo, but I can't see that happen with the release that soon. Or is this beta confirming a delay ? :lol

It's fun though, but will likely be blown away easily by mag.

industrian

Well that's weird.

I joined a game (Crossroads at night) and was playing fine until all the sound cut out and the framerate dropped significantly - making the game all but unplayable.

Anyone else had this problem?

industrian said:
Well that's weird.

I joined a game (Crossroads at night) and was playing fine until all the sound cut out and the framerate dropped significantly - making the game all but unplayable.

Had the same problem on xroads night too. Dunno if its lag or a glitch.

NameIess

^^^^Considering the game is suppose to be launched in 30 days I would consider this more of a demo too... In most situations a beta is released 60+ days out, but considering all the beta server issues so close to launch it has me kind of worried...

GodofWine

industrian said:
Well that's weird.

Yea, had it only on one 32 player game.

My comparison to MGO was done cause its the only other tactical shooter to compare it to at the moment. I don't think it was out of left field to use it to compare (and I don't like MGO..sue me)

industrian said:
Well that's weird.

I've had that several times. It gives me head aches.

industrian

FoxhoundNL said:
I've had that several times. It gives me head aches.

I'm getting it constantly now. It's pissing me off to say the least.

That and I happen to always join a game as soon as a round ends.

Top Bottom